• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JAYOFCASTLEFORD

JAYOFCASTLEFORD

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

well from what i have heared the wii u wireless internet connection has its limits so i wanted know if i bought the wired usb adapter would i get faster connection?
Posted Image

#2 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

well from what i have heared the wii u wireless internet connection has its limits so i wanted know if i bought the wired usb adapter would i get faster connection?

First of all I would hardly call the USB adapter wierd. Secondly I don't know in practice as I've not tried it on the Wii or Wii U but in theory a wired connection even using the USB to Ethernet adapter should give you a faster download speed then wireless.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

No.
And there's really nothing wrong with wireless.

If you have one laying around, sure. But I wouldn't go out and buy one.

Edited by Nollog, 30 November 2012 - 06:03 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 jazzuri

jazzuri

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Upon setting up my wii u I found I could not connect to my wireless router. Then searching online I discovered many people with the same issue. I called Nintendo Aus and they advised if you have this problem to setup a static IP address. Whilst this worked Its dissapointing as every console under the sun has connected without issue to my wireless network.

After setting up my network settings manually... the wireless device appears to run without issue.

Not sure if this is the issue you are referring to?

#5 tshrimp

tshrimp

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Even wireless is usually faster than your internet connection, so the bottleneck is from your Internet Service Provider, and not WiFi.

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

My wireless is completly fast and fine, I don't know what people are on about when the say the Wii U is slow, it's quicker than my 360, when I click on MiiVerse and eShop they come straight on.

#7 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:56 AM

No.
And there's really nothing wrong with wireless.
If you have one laying around, sure. But I wouldn't go out and buy one.

Yes it will.

Even wireless is usually faster than your internet connection, so the bottleneck is from your Internet Service Provider, and not WiFi.

A wired connection will always give you faster download speeds then a wireless connection. The actuall Internet speed won't change but a direct wired connection will be far more efficient. There is no way realistically that a wireless connection can be faster then the actual Internet connection.

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

Yes it will.

A wired connection will always give you faster download speeds then a wireless connection. The actuall Internet speed won't change but a direct wired connection will be far more efficient. There is no way realistically that a wireless connection can be faster then the actual Internet connection.

802.11N is full duplex, so unless you have 301mbps internet, untrue.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 hubang

hubang

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Multiple tests have found that a wired USB ethernet adapter is actually slower than the wireless.

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=502022

Even though a wired connection might be more stable (less interference), it might be experiencing a bottleneck from the USB 2.0 port. I'd stick to wireless.
Nintendo Network ID: hubang

#10 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

802.11N is full duplex, so unless you have 301mbps internet, untrue.

Wrong. A wired Ethernet connection using an Ethernet cable from the router to the device will give a faster through put speed.

Multiple tests have found that a wired USB ethernet adapter is actually slower than the wireless.

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=502022

Even though a wired connection might be more stable (less interference), it might be experiencing a bottleneck from the USB 2.0 port. I'd stick to wireless.

Even USB will be faster but I was referring to a native Ethernet connection. I tested both the Ethernet connection using the USB adapter and a wi-fi connection on my Wii and the USB/Ethernet connection was much faster.

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Wrong. A wired Ethernet connection using an Ethernet cable from the router to the device will give a faster through put speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO

Sorry bro, you're being schooled. :(
Semantics, you're wrong.
Reality, you're right.
The Wii U doesn't do MIMO probably, but your statement, on a semantic level is wrong.

It still doesn't matter much, in reality wired or wireless. Nintendo's servers are the weak link.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 Spinal

Spinal

Blooper

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

I bought a lan adapter aswell, but i couldn't get it to work, so i'm using wireless insted. My router just flashes red when i try to use it, dunno why :(
Posted Image

#13 tshrimp

tshrimp

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Yes it will.

Sorry, but with all due respect that is incorrect. Fios fastest is 50/25 Mbps. http://www22.verizon...st-internet/ . Also the average Internet connection speed is 2.3 Mbps. http://www.tomshardw...idth,15525.html
Wireless N is speeds can be up to 300 Mbps http://news.cnet.com...0351215-94.html
Even older wireless g is 54 Mbps which is still faster than connectivity to your ISP.

Download speed is dictated by the lowest speed item, and that bottleneck is usually your internet connection..Don't get me wrong if you are downloading from your computer to a console then this would be different as many are gig these days. Also hard wire is usually more reliable.

Edited by tshrimp, 01 December 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#14 jesusloves

jesusloves

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Contact your service provider and upgrade the speed and then check internet uploading and downloading speed at Scanmyspeed.com

If your provider do not have speed plan switch to another provider who gives speed internet.

#15 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

I have already done extensive research on this issue.

To summarise, wired used to perform worse than wireless but the OS update 3.0 fixed that problem.  Wired is now recommended.

However, the biggest speed limit is the internal memory of the Wii U.  If you use an external USB HDD then you will get faster speeds from WiFi and USB Ethernet. My latest test from USB Ethernet was:

Internal Memory: ~3Mbit (400KB/s)

External HDD: ~ 20Mbit (2.5MB/s)

The Wii U is limited to around 20Mbit however no matter what you do and it seems easier to maintain this speed if you use a local proxy server to buffer the download, similar to what you used to have to do on the PS3 to get the best speeds off PSN (and still have to do on PS Vita). 

In my tests above I had the proxy server cache the entire FIFA demo by downloading it once to the Wii U with the proxy enabled.  I then wiped it from the Wii U and downloaded again (checking the server log to show that it registered as a cache-hit), so it came directly from the proxy server on the LAN. 

This is as fast as it could go, if the Wii U wasn't acting as a bottleneck it should have been able to do ~100Mbit.  In fact downloading from the Nintendo servers directly to a PC I can get around 30Mbit, still faster than the Wii U.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 11 May 2013 - 01:40 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#16 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

My wireless is completly fast and fine, I don't know what people are on about when the say the Wii U is slow, it's quicker than my 360, when I click on MiiVerse and eShop they come straight on.

Yep.

My Wii U downloads demos and games etc much faster than my 360 even when the xbox is connected via ethernet.

#17 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

It depends what you mean by "faster" as have you actually measures how long it takes to download a file of the same size?  A lot of the time it might "feel" faster because of what you were doing at the time, doesn't mean it was.

Actual download speed my Xbox is almost always quicker than the Wii U downloading to its internal memory, around the same when downloading to an external HDD. 

However background downloads on PS3 and Xbox 360 ALWAYS cap at 500KB/s, which makes the Wii U faster then when downloading to a HDD as it doesn't slow down much when background downloading.

However when downloading on the PS3 in the foreground its more than double the speed of the Wii U at its best.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 11 May 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#18 The Ferryman

The Ferryman

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

Good work alex, so have you conlcuded that connecting the internet through usb on the wii u is faster now than if you use wi-fi? And how strange is it that the flash memory inside wii u which is supposed to be comparable to ssd speeds right? That the write speeds is so slow..... How about the read speeds? Have you done any benchmarks loading up any demo on the internal memory vs usb?? Which is faster you think? Thanks.

#19 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

Contact your service provider and upgrade the speed and then check internet uploading and downloading speed at Scanmyspeed.com
If your provider do not have speed plan switch to another provider who gives speed internet.

There is no relevance between what Internet provider and what connection speed you have and whether you use a wired or wireless connection. I've tried both and get similar results with both. I have a very fast fibre optic connection so there is no reason for the slow downloads I gat other then an issue at Nintendo's end with their servers and/or the write speed of the internal memory. Certainly from what everyone is saying an external hard drive will have a faster write speed and therefore less affected by the download speed.

Personally for me its not really practical to have an external hard drive as I don't really have the space or the available power socket in the wall. This is one reason I bought the premium edition of the Wii U. Obviously like everyone else I wasn't aware Nintendo gimped on the internal memory probably to save money. I may actually resort to using a USB flash drive as that would probably be better then the internal memory.

Edited by Gamejunkie, 12 May 2013 - 02:50 AM.

#20 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

I can confirm that USB flash drives most certainly work better than the built-in memory, for downloads.  For actually loading apps/games, I'm not certain but I suspect it shaves a few seconds off those too.  It definitely felt like Netflix takes longer to load from internal memory than an external HDD, but I haven't timed it.

Interestingly, it seems to make little difference where you load from for Lego City Undercover. http://www.gamefaqs....cover/65725873 

Looking at the results posted from that thread you can basically say any differences are well within a margin of error, as what one person considers the start or ending of loading can easily account for a few seconds.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 14 May 2013 - 09:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!