• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 jalio_the_brave

jalio_the_brave

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

I haven't quite got the chance to play the Wii U yet, considering I won't have it in my hands till Christmas. But from what I've seen, it's a console that has a lot of potential and has done a lot of things really well in the past few weeks.

My only concern is that Nintendo have put themselves in a sticky situation. They're having to come into a new generation without the other competing consoles. And while this may seem like an advantage at first, I get the feeling that Nintendo has a lot to prove to gamers and publishers alike if they want their support. So far, Nintendo seems to be trying really hard to get the third parties back, but I'm afraid that their efforts will be for naught, as I get the feeling most publishers will just brush off Nintendo, saying their console isn't powerful enough or caters to the wrong audience.

Not only that, but Nintendo has to be sure in what they've produced for a console so as to compete with the next generation Sony and Microsoft consoles. Many rumored leaks say that Sony and Microsoft's consoles won't be complete powerhouses like the 360 and PS3 were when they launched, which is a good sign. But even so, there's a potential that the third party companies will move on to those systems and leave Nintendo with their first party titles alone.

I think Nintendo has put themselves in a situation that will be hard on the company. I believe with the right marketing and planning Nintendo can be successful once again this generation. They just have a lot going against them. I just want Nintendo to do well as much as the next guy, but they've certainly made it difficult to do so. Alas, that comes with uncharted territory when innovating in the industry, eh? ;)

#2 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

Nintendo will be fine, if the rumors about the Xbox 8, and PS Omni are true, then they are going to be 10x more gimmicky that the Wii and Wii U combined. Also developers been very vocal about current Gen lasting so long. We will see the best 3rd party support on a Nintendo console since the SNES. All the signs are there.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#3 kris1206

kris1206

Blooper

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Nintendo will be fine, if the rumors about the Xbox 8, and PS Omni are true, then they are going to be 10x more gimmicky that the Wii and Wii U combined. Also developers been very vocal about current Gen lasting so long. We will see the best 3rd party support on a Nintendo console since the SNES. All the signs are there.

Xbox 8 LoL micosoft can't count very well. Anyways Nintendo will be fine, even if it flops like the gamecube gamers will carry on using it as the games wont be like most of the third party ones for wii
Posted Image

#4 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'm kinda beating the same bush as the others, but Nintendo Will be fine. If Bayenetta 2 and Ninja Guiaden aren't proof enough that Nintendo is taking a hands on approach, then wait for E3. I am sure we will see more partnerships with third parties. I am hoping Ubisoft+Nintendo gets together and make a few babies lol. But that is a fans dream.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#5 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

I think Nintendo will be alright. My only concern is Third party support.

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#6 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

I think Nintendo will be alright. My only concern is Third party support.

^ This

#7 TomBollandLTD

TomBollandLTD

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokémon Mario Link

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

360 released first, even though the first was a bit naff. It did great [:
3DS Friend Code: 0087-2466-1970
NNID : TomBollandLTD

need. more. online. games.

#8 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Nintendo has survived just fine this far with their first party titles and attracting the "casual" crowd. They'll be fine. If anything, I'm more worried about Sony who is bleeding money like crazy. Can they even afford to keep supporting the Vita, let alone making their next console?

#9 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Xbox 8 LoL micosoft can't count very well. Anyways Nintendo will be fine, even if it flops like the gamecube gamers will carry on using it as the games wont be like most of the third party ones for wii

They are titling it Xbox 8 because it would run off a Windows 8 style platform :P
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#10 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

To be completely honest, I only ever buy Nintendo exclusive games... xD I might get some 3rd party sometime, but as of now, I only have 1st party games, and one 2nd party: Donkey Kong Country Returns (that's 2nd party, right?).

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#11 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

To be completely honest, I only ever buy Nintendo exclusive games... xD I might get some 3rd party sometime, but as of now, I only have 1st party games, and one 2nd party: Donkey Kong Country Returns (that's 2nd party, right?).

No that is first party it was done by Retro.

#12 Hari

Hari

Cheep-Cheep

• Banned
  • 116 posts
  • Fandom:
    you

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

no, 2nd party doesnt exist. for example, 1st person shoters are the one seen from the eyes of you, 3rd person shoter is seen from someone who doesnt exists and 2nd person shoter would be like seen from the eyes of the ennemy. In conclusion: go to school

no, 2nd party doesnt exist. for example, 1st person shoters are the one seen from the eyes of you, 3rd person shoter is seen from someone who doesnt exists and 2nd person shoter would be like seen from the eyes of the ennemy. In conclusion: go to school

#13 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

What are you talking about? First PARTY games are games made by the console developers themselves, second party are made by companies that are exclusive to the console, and third parties are games that are normally multiplatform. What's this about camera views? Maybe you need to go to school.

Edited by Gaymer, 12 December 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#14 Hari

Hari

Cheep-Cheep

• Banned
  • 116 posts
  • Fandom:
    you

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

What are you talking about? First PARTY games are games made by the console developers themselves, second party are made my companies that are exclusive to the console, and third parties are games that are normally multiplatform. What's this about camera views? Maybe you need to go to school.

the camera view is just an example of how to differenciate the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd that are used on a lot of things. 2nd party is just the same as 1st party

#15 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hmmm...

Well, if you're right, I blame my mistake on "All Your History Belong to Us - Metroid" by Machinima. :P

No that is first party it was done by Retro.

Okay, I just heard Retro referred to as "2nd party", so I just went with it. xD

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#16 wiiufoo

wiiufoo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Actually Nintendo I think is safe this time because it set itself apart from both Microsoft and Sonys Consoles.

The new Playstation and Xbox will be very similar with their approach to gaming(that is going for horsepower) opposed to the Wii U's innovation with the gamepad. It's such a difference experience where it's worth getting even if you own an xbox/ps3.

Sony this time around is going be in the most trouble as they are already in financial trouble and on top of that have to compete with Microsofts when they both launch.

The Wii U has at least a year head start with the upcoming consoles. Who knows, we might not get one or both of the next gen consoles until 2014?

So before the next two consoles even come out, you can expect to see a $50 price drop on both versions of the console in 2013 sometime(most likely fall/holiday time). This will make the basic 250 and the delux 300.

The Wii launched at a $250 price rang and that seemed to be the sweet spot. Microsoft and Sonys new console will be at a higher price where the casual consumer would rather get the Wii U.

If you have noticed there isn't much marketing for the Wii U. My idea on this is there's no need for it since there isn't any competition and the systems price point is at its highest since it just launched. Why spend all that money now? I believe Nintendo is waiting for the games and maybe a price drop and you can guarantee to see the Wii U marketed all over with commercials and what not before the next two consoles come out.

On top of all this, Nintendos 1st part titles are easily system sellers and have always carried Nintendo through any tough times.

I think Nintendo is safe. ;)

Edited by wiiufoo, 12 December 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#17 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

I love my Wii U that is all.

#18 Mensrea

Mensrea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid,Zelda ,Pikmin ,Resistance

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

They will be fine, don't expect Wii numbers sales wise, but I think quality is going to be much better from first and third parties. The gamepad works as a traditional controller which I think is a big reason the Wii lacked quality support.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

#19 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

They will be fine, don't expect Wii numbers sales wise, but I think quality is going to be much better from first and third parties. The gamepad works as a traditional controller which I think is a big reason the Wii lacked quality support.

Except for the lack of analog triggers, which unfortunately gimps racing games. I'm not even sure how well GTA would work without analog acceleration, its something you do not realise how much you utilise until someone takes it away.

Either way though, I suspect the Wii U will be fine, from Nintendos point of view at least. The question is if it will be as popular or have as much third party support as Sony or Microsoft. That is a big question.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 12 December 2012 - 08:56 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#20 jalio_the_brave

jalio_the_brave

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Except for the lack of analog triggers, which unfortunately gimps racing games. I'm not even sure how well GTA would work without analog acceleration, its something you do not realise how much you utilise until someone takes it away.

Either way though, I suspect the Wii U will be fine, from Nintendos point of view at least. The question is if it will be as popular or have as much third party support as Sony or Microsoft. That is a big question.

The third party support is currently my concern. I actually went the entire gen without another system besides the wii, but I was always disappointed that I wouldn't be getting some of the games that Sony and Microsoft consoles did. I think that's the big issue that Nintendo has to tackle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!