#21 Mensrea

Mensrea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid,Zelda ,Pikmin ,Resistance

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Except for the lack of analog triggers, which unfortunately gimps racing games. I'm not even sure how well GTA would work without analog acceleration, its something you do not realise how much you utilise until someone takes it away.

Either way though, I suspect the Wii U will be fine, from Nintendos point of view at least. The question is if it will be as popular or have as much third party support as Sony or Microsoft. That is a big question.

Everyone is making a big fuss over triggers, It doesn't really matter. Analog sticks can be used for acceleration. The triggers aren't going to affect the system really that much at all.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

#22 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

The third party support is currently my concern. I actually went the entire gen without another system besides the wii, but I was always disappointed that I wouldn't be getting some of the games that Sony and Microsoft consoles did. I think that's the big issue that Nintendo has to tackle.

I think that is a LOT to ask and I do not expect that to happen.

Some of my favourite games are Xbox exclusives (none of which are shooters btw) which is why for quite a long time Xbox 360 was my only console. I mainly got a PS3 for Bluray playback, something a dedicated cheap Bluray player does better today.

Fact is, if you value variety in your games you will not be able to settle for just a single console. Its a pain cost and space wise, but something I long since came to terms with.

I prefer that to less competition. Do you really think Playstation Plus would exist with its free games if the PS3 had dominated the market? No, it was a tactic to help catch up with Xbox.

Everyone is making a big fuss over triggers, It doesn't really matter. Analog sticks can be used for acceleration. The triggers aren't going to affect the system really that much at all.

I have tried using the right analog stick instead of the trigger in games in the past, it doesn't work for me as its uncomfortable and due to the less resistance is very hard to be as accurate.

Given that choice I will play on Xbox 360 instead. It certainly doesn't hurt that I have the racing wheel on there too. (which I only use for PGR, Forza and Test Drive Unlimited, everything else I stick to the normal controller)

The thing is, the Gamecube had analog triggers. It was dropped from the Wii as it was pushing for a different demographic. However to not put them back on the Wii U is a HUGE oversight IMO.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 12 December 2012 - 10:21 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#23 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

For a positive scenario I'd suggest that the Wii U spends the next 12 months filling the gap left by the lack of another next gen console. With a Wii fans having grown older there is more of a market for 3rd parties to utilise a Wii U audience hungry for titles. The Xbox720 comes out next christmas at inflated price but very little new other than more power. The Wii U is manufacturing at a profit by then and is able drop the price and release the sure fire hit Mario Kart U whilst 3rd party developers are launching next gen titles for it.

Another 12 months later and Xbox 720 has started to realise next gen titles but is still behind on price, the PS4 launches with similar problems only more so now. Nintendo launch a revamped Wii U with the problems ironed out and an even lower price.

The Wii U Performs steadily for the following 3 years boosted by regular releases of it's own franchises, which it's audience are now familiar with after Nintendo Land, and responsible 3rd party support from companies.

Then several years ahead of a fourth Xbox and fifth Playstation it does a Ninth generation console. It put the squeeze on Sony and Microsoft by cutting across their usual seven cycle before their units have become really profitable.

Hmmm maybe not but it's a nice thought.

#24 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

Erm... one issues with the OP's thought process. The 360 and ps3 where not power houses when they released. In fact they where more in line with an average gaming pc.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 14 December 2012 - 06:34 AM.

#25 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

Fact is, if you value variety in your games you will not be able to settle for just a single console. Its a pain cost and space wise, but something I long since came to terms with.
I prefer that to less competition. Do you really think Playstation Plus would exist with its free games if the PS3 had dominated the market? No, it was a tactic to help catch up with Xbox.
The thing is, the Gamecube had analog triggers. It was dropped from the Wii as it was pushing for a different demographic. However to not put them back on the Wii U is a HUGE oversight IMO.

My sentiments exactly.

#26 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Except for the lack of analog triggers, which unfortunately gimps racing games. I'm not even sure how well GTA would work without analog acceleration, its something you do not realise how much you utilise until someone takes it away.

For the record, the 360's triggers are digital triggers shaped like analog triggers. I tested it in Forza 3 and it doesn't stay at a slow speed.

Edited by TheUltimateWaddleDee, 15 December 2012 - 06:24 AM.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#27 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

For the record, the 360's triggers are digital triggers shaped like analog triggers. I tested it in Forza 3 and it doesn't stay at a slow speed.

The triggers on the 360 controller are analogue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_Controller

Edited by Gamejunkie, 15 December 2012 - 06:40 AM.

#28 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

The triggers on the 360 controller are analogue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_Controller

That's weird, I tried it with all of my games that would have a Ile for analog triggers and they didn't respond like an analog triggers. It wouldn't gradually change speed when you pressed it: it would just be all or nothing.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue

#29 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

That's weird, I tried it with all of my games that would have a Ile for analog triggers and they didn't respond like an analog triggers. It wouldn't gradually change speed when you pressed it: it would just be all or nothing.

the 360 Triggers are analogue I use a 360 controller with my PC for racing games and I can assure you they are.

#30 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

the 360 Triggers are analogue I use a 360 controller with my PC for racing games and I can assure you they are.

Maybe it's something with my controller.

KtOSpy7.jpg

#31 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Actually Nintendo I think is safe this time because it set itself apart from both Microsoft and Sonys Consoles.

The new Playstation and Xbox will be very similar with their approach to gaming(that is going for horsepower) opposed to the Wii U's innovation with the gamepad. It's such a difference experience where it's worth getting even if you own an xbox/ps3.

I think Nintendo is safe. ;)

u sound like u speak about wii or gamecube or gameboy or 3ds or ds... Nintendo was in danger with gamecube and wii? Wii U is closer to the next 720 or ps4, than wii did with 360 and ps3.

Edited by Orion, 15 December 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#32 Triggy1987

Triggy1987

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

I think 3rd party support will be fine when the Wii U gets going. ZombiU has hit 250k while BO2 has crossed the 120k. I've picked up a Wii U for Christmas, but I won't be buying any third party games until after crimbo, and even if when I do, I doubt I will buy the same games I already own. I might pick up BO again just so I can play it on the toilet but that's about it.

I wonder if EA will introduce "digital sprinting" in the FIFA series for the Wii U as you can't use "analog sprinting" any more haha. I'm a big fan of analog running in football games.

Edited by Triggy1987, 15 December 2012 - 03:54 PM.

Over 9k subs, Youtube channel: http://tinyurl.com/c3cvsep

#33 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

Maybe it's something with my controller.

It could be. Both my controllers work just fine regards the analogue triggers in racing games.

As for myself as a consumer supporting third parties I would but there hasn't been many third party games released so far that I would actually play. Some I don't like and others I've already played. I've already played Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City. I have no interest in the Call Of Duty franchise or Tekken Tag. Whilst I've played one or two of the Assassin's Creed games before I'm not that big a fan of it either and I've heard mixed reactions on number 3.

I do have Zombi U as it got the special EU console bundle that came with it and the pro controller. I'm also contemplating on picking up Sonic & All Stars Transformed. I've also preordered Rayman Legends. The rest of the current third party releases are pretty poor and worth getting anyway. There needs to be more exclusive or original quality third party releases on the Wii U. If they are multiplatform then they need to offer unique features not possible on the other consoles. That's what would get me to buy more third party games on it.

Edited by Gamejunkie, 16 December 2012 - 03:42 AM.

#34 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

The thing about 3rd party support for Nintendo system is that the 1st party titles are so damn good! I'd like to see better 3rd party support rather than more. Shovelware etc.

It'd be nice if the Wii U wasn't an after thought to devolpers!

#35 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Actually Nintendo I think is safe this time because it set itself apart from both Microsoft and Sonys Consoles.

The new Playstation and Xbox will be very similar with their approach to gaming(that is going for horsepower) opposed to the Wii U's innovation with the gamepad. It's such a difference experience where it's worth getting even if you own an xbox/ps3.

Sony this time around is going be in the most trouble as they are already in financial trouble and on top of that have to compete with Microsofts when they both launch.

The Wii U has at least a year head start with the upcoming consoles. Who knows, we might not get one or both of the next gen consoles until 2014?

So before the next two consoles even come out, you can expect to see a $50 price drop on both versions of the console in 2013 sometime(most likely fall/holiday time). This will make the basic 250 and the delux 300.

The Wii launched at a $250 price rang and that seemed to be the sweet spot. Microsoft and Sonys new console will be at a higher price where the casual consumer would rather get the Wii U.

If you have noticed there isn't much marketing for the Wii U. My idea on this is there's no need for it since there isn't any competition and the systems price point is at its highest since it just launched. Why spend all that money now? I believe Nintendo is waiting for the games and maybe a price drop and you can guarantee to see the Wii U marketed all over with commercials and what not before the next two consoles come out.

On top of all this, Nintendos 1st part titles are easily system sellers and have always carried Nintendo through any tough times.

I think Nintendo is safe. ;)

Agreed.
As long as developers manage to carry on cominng up with good uses of the gamepad. More and more will try and jump in on the trend.

#36 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

So how does GTA work on a PC without Analog controls?

#37 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

So how does GTA work on a PC without Analog controls?

I assume you are talking about GTA4. You can quite easily plug in a controller so it just gives you more options of how you play whilst providing better graphics, fps and a huge amount of mods you can play around with. Put simply it is the best version of GTA4.

#38 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I assume you are talking about GTA4. You can quite easily plug in a controller so it just gives you more options of how you play whilst providing better graphics, fps and a huge amount of mods you can play around with. Put simply it is the best version of GTA4.

But how do you drive a car with just a keyboard in vanilla mode.

#39 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

But how do you drive a car with just a keyboard in vanilla mode.

Can't recall I believe it is problematic as you have accelerate which is digital and thus far from optimal. It has been around a year since I last loaded it up though so can't comment on specifics as well as i'm sure others can. From memory driving etc was better with a controller and third person shooting etc was better with a mouse and keyboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!