• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Crimson_Engage

Crimson_Engage

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

So I noticed the Gamepad has a built in mic. I only used it once to test the video call thing with a friend.

My question is, how do you mute the mic when you are playing online games? Is there a switch? I know on normal headsets there is a switch on the cord along with volume control. (unless it's wireless)

How would one go about muting his mic so others don't have to hear my dumb family members singing and crap in the background? lol

#2 CNR

CNR

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

I thought you couldn't use the bulit in microphone for online games? I think you would need a headset plugged into the gamepad to even use a mic.
Am i wrong?
Posted Image

#3 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

The only game that uses it so far is mass effect 3 it works like a cb touch and hold the screen to talk let go to stop as for the others call of duty etc. they use headsets not the mic

Edited by dark_rabbid, 17 December 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#4 Crimson_Engage

Crimson_Engage

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Are you serious? I haven't tried using it in online games so i was just wondering. So let me get this straight You can't even use the built in mic for online games? I have to buy a new headset!?

First, I can't play two players on Mario using one wiimote and the gamepad. I have to have TWO wiimotes, then you can't play Mario or Nintendo Land online despite it being the year 2012. I shouldn't have to leave my house to go play with friends. I'm 26 years old and we work!

Now you are telling me I must BUY a headset? Couldn't the console come with one!? The Xbox came with a headset for crying out loud! And even if I do buy one where am I going to plug it in at? I use the headset port on the top of the pad with my earbuds so I don't wake my gf up at night and headsets like Turtle Beaches are big and bulky to be using with the gamepad.

All of my rage is building up at the moment.

Edited by Crimson_Engage, 17 December 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#5 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Are you serious? I haven't tried using it in online games so i was just wondering. So let me get this straight You can't even use the built in mic for online games? I have to buy a new headset!?

First, I can't play two players on Mario using one wiimote and the gamepad. I have to have TWO wiimotes, then you can't play Mario or Nintendo Land online despite it being the year 2012. I shouldn't have to leave my house to go play with friends. I'm 26 years old and we work!

Now you are telling me I must BUY a headset? Couldn't the console come with one!? The Xbox came with a headset for crying out loud! And even if I do buy one where am I going to plug it in at? I use the headset port on the top of the pad with my earbuds so I don't wake my gf up at night and headsets like Turtle Beaches are big and bulky to be using with the gamepad.

yes... :unsure:

Edited by Colinx, 17 December 2012 - 03:25 PM.

2lvmghw.png

#6 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Yes you will have to buy a headset.

Yes Nintendo is not internet friendly. They really never have been and still sort of refuse to become more internet savvy.

Yes you will have to take out your ear buds to plug in the headset via the gamepad. Though the only current official seal approved Nintendo third party headsets are really headsets with two speakers, one for both ears. As for the headsets, why some these headsets have the Nintendo Seal is beyond me. Being as it is basically suppose to mean proven to work. Problem is the Wii U is just like the Wii in terms of headsets and/or mics. Considering developers have the option to support what they see fit in terms of VOIP, based of what Nintendo has said. Meaning if they want to make a new headset that has some kind of built in driver they can and make you buy one for X games. Being as Nintendo has no overall standard of what you must support. Which comes to the point of what I am trying to say, is research the headsets you do wish to buy before purchasing so your not like many of the others complaining about it, "Not working".

Edited by UnholyVision, 17 December 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#7 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes your are correct. Nintendo dropped the ball on this. Also dropped it by not supporting bluetooth headsets.
But o well nothign we can do but moan and *itch about it.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#8 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

I swear no one reads what I post Nintendo leaves it up to the developers what to do with voice chat the game pad mic is used to chat in mass effect 3 so if they want to use the mic they can or they will use a headset or nothing depends on the laziness of the developer.

#9 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

@Dark_Rabbid: As far as the gamepad mic goes, whom really wants to use that crap? Specially if it is open mic. I have a PS Vita and dislike having to use the built in mic. You will get in a party chat and all play your whatever games to hear clicking of buttons or joysticks. Then with no form of secondary output via if you had a headset, you're forced to basically set the option to lower your game volume when in a party to hear the people. If not it is drowned in clicking or game sounds. Personally, from my experiences with built in mics I would rather see the companies not waste their time on the gamepad mic, unless it is some kind of good push to talk system. Depending on how it is done that could be a pain on a console. Considering it is not a PC with tons of control binding options.

Then the problem is with developers not having a standard you're looking at another Wii PDP Jawbreaker and Wii Speak crap all over again. Really, when it comes down to it, it sort of is Nintendo at fault for not getting with the times more than the developers and/or publishers. Being as their just another company trying to make a game for profit on what is given to them. If Nintendo had a must have standard you wouldn't have the bollocks of having to possibly buy a mic for say two games, only to buy a possible different one later down the line. (Specially more so if the developers want to support USB based mics).

#10 RGKID144

RGKID144

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Just a heads up, this a MAJOR issue for me also. I love the U, but the voice chat is just brutal. Its so difficult, and unneccessary. All I want is a party while I play a game. Thats it.

BUT.....I think this might make you happy. If you own an ipod/iphone.....the earbuds that come with the device have a microphone in it. Yes, the normal white earbuds apple makes. I know there are some without microphones, but im pretty sure all the newer ones do. Definitely if it came with your iphone or pod. So, if you have a pair, then you can just plug those babies into the gamepad, and your buddies can hear you chat and vice versa. its not as clear as lets say a tritton set etc from xbox or so, but for a free headset, with in game sound, its not bad. hope this helps.

#11 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

@Dark_Rabbid: As far as the gamepad mic goes, whom really wants to use that crap? Specially if it is open mic. I have a PS Vita and dislike having to use the built in mic. You will get in a party chat and all play your whatever games to hear clicking of buttons or joysticks. Then with no form of secondary output via if you had a headset, you're forced to basically set the option to lower your game volume when in a party to hear the people. If not it is drowned in clicking or game sounds. Personally, from my experiences with built in mics I would rather see the companies not waste their time on the gamepad mic, unless it is some kind of good push to talk system. Depending on how it is done that could be a pain on a console. Considering it is not a PC with tons of control binding options.
Then the problem is with developers not having a standard you're looking at another Wii PDP Jawbreaker and Wii Speak crap all over again. Really, when it comes down to it, it sort of is Nintendo at fault for not getting with the times more than the developers and/or publishers. Being as their just another company trying to make a game for profit on what is given to them. If Nintendo had a must have standard you wouldn't have the bollocks of having to possibly buy a mic for say two games, only to buy a possible different one later down the line. (Specially more so if the developers want to support USB based mics).

Mass effect does use a push to talk system similar to a cb hold the screen to talk and amazingly it works no clickity click even when people still are pushing buttons( I know how annoying that can be) just comes down to how lazy developers are, should we put the time in to do it right or work on something else etc. as for options the only thing I see that's not there are the blue tooth phone headsets they have a mic in the game pad, a jack to plug headsets in the pad and they do have USB jacks in the system that do have headset that supports it does Nintendo need to hold developers hands when they have to go to the bathroom?

#12 TomBollandLTD

TomBollandLTD

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokémon Mario Link

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

I swear no one reads what I post Nintendo leaves it up to the developers what to do with voice chat the game pad mic is used to chat in mass effect 3 so if they want to use the mic they can or they will use a headset or nothing depends on the laziness of the developer.

This.

This.

I also believe you CAN use the built in Mic on blops2 as long as you have any form of headphones in the jack. Is this true? I heard it a few times. I suppose it's to stop the Gamepad speakers "leaking" to the mic?
3DS Friend Code: 0087-2466-1970
NNID : TomBollandLTD

need. more. online. games.

#13 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

This.
This.
I also believe you CAN use the built in Mic on blops2 as long as you have any form of headphones in the jack. Is this true? I heard it a few times. I suppose it's to stop the Gamepad speakers "leaking" to the mic?

i haven't heard of that I'll have to check it out good chance it will say in the digital instructions.

#14 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Just a heads up, this a MAJOR issue for me also. I love the U, but the voice chat is just brutal. Its so difficult, and unneccessary. All I want is a party while I play a game. Thats it.

BUT.....I think this might make you happy. If you own an ipod/iphone.....the earbuds that come with the device have a microphone in it. Yes, the normal white earbuds apple makes. I know there are some without microphones, but im pretty sure all the newer ones do. Definitely if it came with your iphone or pod. So, if you have a pair, then you can just plug those babies into the gamepad, and your buddies can hear you chat and vice versa. its not as clear as lets say a tritton set etc from xbox or so, but for a free headset, with in game sound, its not bad. hope this helps.

That's awesome!!!

#15 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Well, apparently NG3 Razor's Edge supports online voice chat as well, though the guy who made the video says the mic is meh.

I have no idea how to mute the mic though, sorry OP.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!