Photo

Audio capabilities: Nintendo Wii U (comprehensive post).

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NintendoFan

NintendoFan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hello thewiiu.com community!,

I hope you all are doing well! :)

First off, I would like to thank everyone for their comprehensive, detailed threads on a variety of topics. The level of expertise and knowledge here is invaluable!

thewiiu.com is new to me, and I have seen and experienced great things about this community and site.

My thread as you can see from the topic relates to audio for the new Nintendo Wii U system. Basically, I would like to learn more about the audio capabilities for Nintendo's latest console.

Before I begin, please forgive me if this topic has been posted about before (I have seen similar threads). I felt that some of my questions were different enough to warrant their own thread.

This leads me to my questions (that I will build up to) if you would be so kind to consider: I purchased the new Nintendo Wii U on launch day, and would like to have surround sound for it (preferably, a headset). In the Wii U Operations Manual, the Wii U GamePad controller's audio jack is described as follows:

"Audio Jack
For connection of stereo headphones (sold separately).
  • If headphones are connected, no sound will play through the speakers."
I assume the speakers they are referring to are on the Wii U GamePad, and not every speaker you own, but I could be wrong. I noticed the word stereo, and that made me wonder if the Nintendo Wii U is capable of surround sound with headphones (I am aware of the system setting for surround sound, I just noticed that the word stereo was before headphones, leading me to wonder if surround sound headphones, or even headsets, are possible. Also, I learned from alan666's post in his video that the Wii U GamePad's speakers are capable of surround sound: http://thewiiu.com/t...s-on-the-wii-u/. Thank you for your find alan666!).

Quoting from Nintendo's official website, the tech specs for the console's hardware audio is as follows:

"Audio Output
Uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI connector, or analog output via the AV Multi Out connector."

My audio vocabulary and history is small, so I am not sure what this means, or if it even relates to my question, but I thought I would include it anyways.

Here is a link to that page if interested:

http://www.nintendo....res/tech-specs/

Unless I am mistaken, the Nintendo Wii U is capable of 5.1 surround sound (maybe more, I am not sure. Here is alan666's thread again and he states 5.1: http://thewiiu.com/t...s-on-the-wii-u/). Now here is where things get more technical, at least for me. Apparently, in order to get surround sound from the Nintendo Wii U, it seems like you have to use the HDMI connection.

My first question is as follows: Does this HDMI requirement only apply to a surround sound system and not to headsets, or does this apply to all audio?

Here is a link to a thread on this topic:

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=500865

My second question is as follows: What does HTiB mean?

Regarding LPCM audio, it is uncompressed audio from what I have researched, and that results in better quality sound. Continuing my question, how does LPCM compare to Dolby technology?

I came across a post that states the Nintendo Wii U is capable of Dolby Digital. (Is it really though? I have seen threads that speculate Nintendo's license for Dolby technology possibly expired or is going to expire soon, so I am sort of confused).

Here is a link to TRONIC-808's experience with the Wii U's audio on Nintendo's official tech forums:

http://techforums.ni...17723?tstart=30

Here is an apparent work-around link as well to EL_GATO_GORDO's thread (but does this apply to headsets as well?):

http://techforums.ni...age/81277#81277

This leads me to my final question: I would like to get the most out of the Nintendo Wii U for audio, and I am thinking of purchasing a surround sound headset. What are the limits for headsets on the Nintendo Wii U, if any?

I apologize for the lengthy thread as well as having a lot of questions. I just want to learn and get this all straightened out.

Thank you very much for everyone's time and experience on the subject, and I look forward to everyone's replies.

Have a nice day! :)

Sincerely, NintendoFan

Edited by NintendoFan, 17 December 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#2 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Honestly there is no way to get true surround from a head at on the wii u. The built in Jack in the game pad will only offer two channel audio. One plan I have to use my existing turtle beach headset is to use the head phone Jack on my surround sound receiver where my wii u is hooked up with hdmi. Then I can set my receiver to neo 6 or another mode to simulate surround sound on my headset. Just still researching to see which mode will give the best results. Most headsets only have single speakers anyway so even on say ps3 or 360 are still getting simulated surround sound.

Edited by 9646gt, 18 December 2012 - 12:53 AM.

#3 NintendoFan

NintendoFan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Honestly there is no way to get true surround from a head at on the wii u. The built in Jack in the game pad will only offer two channel audio. One plan I have to use my existing turtle beach headset is to use the head phone Jack on my surround sound receiver where my wii u is hooked up with hdmi. Then I can set my receiver to neo 6 or another mode to simulate surround sound on my headset. Just still researching to see which mode will give the best results. Most headsets only have single speakers anyway so even on say ps3 or 360 are still getting simulated surround sound.

Hello 9646gt,

Thank you for your post, it is greatly appreciated! :)

Interesting, so the Wii U GamePad's audio jack will only offer two-channel audio even though there is a surround sound option for the GamePad itself? I just wanted to clarify.

I look forward to whoever can answer my remaining questions.

Take care! :)

Sincerely, NintendoFan

#4 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Correct. A headphone jack will always be two channel. Some devices will simulate surround sound over a head phone Jack but the wii u does not. Dolby pro logic is what the old wii used to simulate surround sound. This is why I am plugging my headset in to my surround sound. Because it will take the audio from the wii and with the correct option selected it will turn it into simulated surround sound and send it to the headset that's plugged in :)

#5 NintendoFan

NintendoFan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

Correct. A headphone jack will always be two channel. Some devices will simulate surround sound over a head phone Jack but the wii u does not. Dolby pro logic is what the old wii used to simulate surround sound. This is why I am plugging my headset in to my surround sound. Because it will take the audio from the wii and with the correct option selected it will turn it into simulated surround sound and send it to the headset that's plugged in :)

Hello 9646gt,

Alright, I see. Thank you. :)

Unless I am mistaken, I would have to purchase a receiver that is capable of receiving a "six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI connector" and then plug my headset directly into that.

How does this effect the possibility of a mic then?

Sincerely, NintendoFan

Edited by NintendoFan, 19 December 2012 - 01:29 AM.

#6 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

You are on the right track it seems but the Mic situation is something I am still trying to ffigure out. Also seven plugging the headset into a proper receiver will not guarantee simulated surround. You will have to choose a receiver that can take the incoming surround sound and convert out to some form of simulated surround sound and feed that the the headset. Which I think my onkyo can do.I think out can covert the sound using neo 6 to simulated surround and then pad out to the headset but I may be wrong and will have to look into the manual more.

As for the Mic I have no clue. My headset can use either usb or out has its own mic cable.but I don't think the console supports usb chat. And I dont know if plugging the mic into the gamepad will force the console to output sound only to the gamepad or what.

Edited by 9646gt, 19 December 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#7 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

As for the Mic I have no clue. My headset can use either Iran or out has its own mic cable.but I don't think the console supports usb chat.

If we are talking about USB in-game chat well it is supported per se. The thing is the mic jack, controllers mic, and USB mics are all supported as wished by the developer of the said game. Having a mic with both USB & a plug is sort of the best option in the long run. Being as you have no clue what the developers and/or will support as Nintendo truly does not care either way as they are leaving it up to them. If you're talking the voice chat deal built into the system (similar to Skype) I believe that only works with the gamepads mic as far as I have heard.

#8 hubang

hubang

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Assuming you mean true surround from a headset on the Wii U, it is possible, just not really easy nor affordable to most at this point. You'd need a device that can split the HDMI into 6 analog sound channels; this usually involves a converter or a mid-range to high-end AV receiver. You'd then need a surround headset with analog multichannel inputs, such as the Tritton AX Pro.

Everyone seems to be rushing for an immediate solution, but I'd suggest waiting it out for a bit to see new solutions pop up via USB (perhaps a USB Dolby Digital decoder with optical out if someone decides to test one) or when manufacturers decide to move forward with Wii U-specific headsets.
Nintendo Network ID: hubang

#9 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

I don't think that's going to work. From my understanding and from my experience using three different surround sound amps when you connect headphones to the headphone jack on an amp it automatically goes into stereo sound mode disabling all digital sound processing including all the various surround modes. I would imagine this the case with all amps.

#10 NintendoFan

NintendoFan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your posts so far, I appreciate it. :)

Assuming you mean true surround from a headset on the Wii U, it is possible, just not really easy nor affordable to most at this point. You'd need a device that can split the HDMI into 6 analog sound channels; this usually involves a converter or a mid-range to high-end AV receiver. You'd then need a surround headset with analog multichannel inputs, such as the Tritton AX Pro.

Everyone seems to be rushing for an immediate solution, but I'd suggest waiting it out for a bit to see new solutions pop up via USB (perhaps a USB Dolby Digital decoder with optical out if someone decides to test one) or when manufacturers decide to move forward with Wii U-specific headsets.

Interesting, so the Wii U is capable of TRUE surround sound and not just virtual surround sound? I think I might do what you said and just wait things out because purchasing a receiver and a headset would be expensive. Basically, it all comes down to wanting either true surround sound (my first preference) or virtual surround sound for the Nintendo Wii U through a headset. How this would be possible, well, maybe there are multiple setups, I am not sure. Thank you for your post hubang!

Take care everyone! :)

Sincerely, NintendoFan

Edited by NintendoFan, 19 December 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#11 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

I don't think that's going to work. From my understanding and from my experience using three different surround sound amps when you connect headphones to the headphone jack on an amp it automatically goes into stereo sound mode disabling all digital sound processing including all the various surround modes. I would imagine this the case with all amps.

Should work fine if you plug a turtle beach DSS into the game pad and the plug in a headset. That's what it is designed to do right?

#12 Insanity_Boi

Insanity_Boi

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda Mario Metroid Mario Kart

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

BTW HTiB means Home Theater in Box.

#13 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

Should work fine if you plug a turtle beach DSS into the game pad and the plug in a headset. That's what it is designed to do right?

I can't comment on that setup but connecting headphones directly to an amp will only give you stereo sound as far as I'm aware as the digital signal processing for the surround modes I believe is disabled.

#14 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Yeah guess I was sounding confusing and over complicating the setup. But as the feed from gamepad is stereo only it should work with the DSS attached

#15 NintendoFan

NintendoFan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your posts, I appreciate them all! :)

BTW HTiB means Home Theater in Box.

That makes sense, thank you Insanity_Boi! :)

Can anyone explain the surround sound option on the Wii U GamePad itself? I found that interesting.

Take care!

Sincerely, NintendoFan

#16 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Pretty sure its just the same virtual (3D) surround that the 3DS uses.

No idea how well it works for headphones but it definitely seems to help give the illusion of sound coming from all around the GamePad rather than just where the speakers are.

It was my understanding though that the GamePad only outputs the Wii U main audio when you are playing a game on the GamePad only. When you are playing on the TV I expected the headphones port to only be used for voice chat. Is that true?

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#17 NintendoFan

NintendoFan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Pretty sure its just the same virtual (3D) surround that the 3DS uses.

No idea how well it works for headphones but it definitely seems to help give the illusion of sound coming from all around the GamePad rather than just where the speakers are.

It was my understanding though that the GamePad only outputs the Wii U main audio when you are playing a game on the GamePad only. When you are playing on the TV I expected the headphones port to only be used for voice chat. Is that true?

Hello Alex Atkin UK,

I hope you are doing well! :)

Thank you for your post, I appreciate it.

I am not sure exactly, but the Wii U GamePad's 3.5mm audio jack has three conductors in it: two for the left and right channels, and one for the microphone.

Sincerely, NintendoFan

#18 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

I guess I'll be able to make more sense of all this when. I get my console on Christmas morning lol

#19 NintendoFan

NintendoFan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

I guess I'll be able to make more sense of all this when. I get my console on Christmas morning lol

Hello 9646gt,

Ahh, sounds good haha. Hopefully you are enjoying your Wii U! :)

Take care. :)

Sincerely, NintendoFan

#20 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

The best way to get proper surround sound from a Wii U is to get a amp with a through HDMI connection, you plug the Wii U into the amp & then the amp splits the audio & video signals, it sends the video via a output HDMI to your TV & decodes the audio into six channels & then sends it through the speakers connected to your amp, this is the best way for any audio, i use this for my blu-ray, X360, PS3, DVD even TV.

I also have had zero problems with the audio on the Gamepad being out of sync, you do need to tell the Wii U & the Gamepad you are using a surround sound set-up, but it works fine.

There has been a lot of talk about the Wii U not supporting either Dolby or DTS but the X360 only supports Dolby the PS3 supports both Dolby & DTS, but to really get the full surround you need a amp anyway & most modern amp support LPCM i would just like to clear one thing up though & that is that LPCM & PCM are exactly the same thing !

Here are my videos again ;

Thanks for the credits in the OP i have only just seen this thread.

You might get a pair of virtual surround headphones that will work with the Wii U GamePad.

Edited by alan666, 25 October 2017 - 07:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!