• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob

Jacob

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Earthbound may see a re-release, according to series creator Shigesato Itoi.

Itoi recently hinted on Twitter, translated by Earthbound Central, that the classic role-playing series could return in some form.

"Since it's now okay to blurt this out, here goes: the 'MOTHER republication' thing I mentioned briefly before is making progress," he said.

"It's not '[MOTHER] 4', though! This has to do with making 'MOTHER' playable. I can't give out any details just yet, but I do at least need to say that it isn't 4."

Mother is the name of the series in Japan, and the second game was renamed Earthbound when it released in North America.

It is noted that when Itoi refers to Mother, he is usually discussing the series as a whole unless a numbered game is specified. This has led to speculation that he is referring to a compilation of the series, with all three games available on a new platform.

The first game in the series, Mother, was released in 1989 on the Famicom in Japan. The sequel released for the SNES in 1995, renamed Earthbound for its international release.

Mother 3 released on the Game Boy Advance in 2006, and was only available in Japan.

The series has established a cult following due to its unique characters, themes and quirky sense of humor. Nintendo has encountered complications re-releasing Earthbound internationally in the past due in part to licensing music sampling from artists including The Beatles.

A return of the series would likely be limited to Japan, like the Game Boy Advance re-releases of the first two games. However there is always a slim chance that an international release is a possibility.

The series has only become more popular in the west due to its reputation and limited availability, along with the inclusion of characters like Ness and Lucas in the Super Smash Bros series.

Watch a video of Earthbound below:

Edited by Jacob, 03 February 2013 - 10:46 AM.

JxkHfIT.png

#2 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

I would love to see Earthbound brought back in some capacity. A new game on the Wii U would be even better.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#3 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I would love to play any form of it on the Wii U! Remember, absolutely no game in this series has ever been released in Europe!

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#4 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Earthbound would be a nice series to bring back, its a great RPG imo, and considering the audience you have now compared to 3DS, i think its a wonderful chance to rebuild demand for the franchise and bring about Mother 4.
people say nintendo needs fresh faces, this would be about as fresh as you can get.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Earthbound

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!