routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

I suppose that's why it has the assist CPU for those background tasks...

Guessing $550 in the US too.
But they may go for $500.
Lose about $75 per console.
Really surprised about the last gen controller. Big let-down.
At least it let's them spend more on power.

The assist processor will be helping with the game streaming, it seemed like they were going to use it for ensuring games are available as soon as possible, which may mean it could be a terradici chip, which would be fantastic.

It definitely isn't going to be cheap. I can see them aiming for $500, but if they don't have a phenomenal launch, losing any money would be a bad idea for them, but they will most likely have to in order to actually sell. I'm guessing with everything it's costing them anywhere from $600-$700 to manufacture, at least right now.

Edited by routerbad, 22 February 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#22 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

I am really surprised they committed to gddr5. And 8Gb of it XD.
But i think im MORE surprised that naughty dog was surprised...

Same here. Considering they one of Sony's premier first party developers one would have thought they would have been up to speed already with the final specs.

That's the only concern I have for the PS4 at this point. Sony cannot afford another "$599 US DOLLARS" situation again, regardless of what kind of tech is under the hood. It'll be interesting to see how they approach the pricing.

I have the same concern although Sony has mentioned that their aim is to price the console competitively.

I suppose that's why it has the assist CPU for those background tasks...
Guessing $550 in the US too.
But they may go for $500.
Lose about $75 per console.
Really surprised about the last gen controller. Big let-down.
At least it let's them spend more on power.

I would hardly call it a last gen controller. Yes it is based on the original dual shock but why fix something that isn't broken. There may be some who prefer the Xbox controller but personally I think the dual shock has been great for Sony's consoles and I like it. The have added features to it like the touch pad, share button, light bar. They have also redesigned the analogue sticks and I believe the trigger buttons to make them more user friendly. It also means people don't need to learn or get use to a brand new controller. At least they aren't introducing that awful boomerang controller they show cased before the PS3 launch.

#23 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Same here. Considering they one of Sony's premier first party developers one would have thought they would have been up to speed already with the final specs.

I have the same concern although Sony has mentioned that their aim is to price the console competitively.

I would hardly call it a last gen controller. Yes it is based on the original dual shock but why fix something that isn't broken. There may be some who prefer the Xbox controller but personally I think the dual shock has been great for Sony's consoles and I like it. The have added features to it like the touch pad, share button, light bar. They have also redesigned the analogue sticks and I believe the trigger buttons to make them more user friendly. It also means people don't need to learn or get use to a brand new controller. At least they aren't introducing that awful boomerang controller they show cased before the PS3 launch.

It is last gen.

It is the same old thing with a few doodads tacked on. Looks exactly that way too. sony usually has a nice aesthetic. That is by far the worst design they have ever made. hopefully, it is just a prototype to fool Microsoft and they come out with something great at E3, like that lawsuit happy EyePad design...

Because seriously, the that controller is just the PS3 controller after a packrat cluttered it up. Piece of junk.

I have my doubts that thing is the final controller.

btw, the dual shock IS broken. Pain to use. The 360 controller is much better.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 25 February 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#24 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

It is last gen.
It is the same old thing with a few doodads tacked on. Looks exactly that way too. sony usually has a nice aesthetic. That is by far the worst design they have ever made. hopefully, it is just a prototype to fool Microsoft and they come out with something great at E3, like that lawsuit happy EyePad design...
Because seriously, the that controller is just the PS3 controller after a packrat cluttered it up. Piece of junk.
I have my doubts that thing is the final controller.
btw, the dual shock IS broken. Pain to use. The 360 controller is much better.

Whethe its last gen or not its a proven design and one that works very well. Not to mention its not exactly the same as the previous variations and has some improved designs as well as potentially good additional features. Its certainly not a piece of junk and far better then the poor Xbox 360 controller. Whilst it may be an exaggeration if anything is junk it's the Xbox 360 controller. The only thing the Xbox controller is good for is FPS games. The dual shock is neither broken note a pain to use. The Xbox controller is frustration beyond belief.

#25 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Whethe its last gen or not its a proven design and one that works very well. Not to mention its not exactly the same as the previous variations and has some improved designs as well as potentially good additional features. Its certainly not a piece of junk and far better then the poor Xbox 360 controller. Whilst it may be an exaggeration if anything is junk it's the Xbox 360 controller. The only thing the Xbox controller is good for is FPS games. The dual shock is neither broken note a pain to use. The Xbox controller is frustration beyond belief.

Pure opinion here, nothing more. Most people prefer the 360 controller to the dual shock. It's too small, feels cheap, and doesn't have very good control ergonomics.... In my opinion. (see what I did there?)

#26 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

That's epic...I wonder then if any of the games being released in the launch window are actually utilizing the full power of the system.

Well it depends what you mean, its very easy to use the full power of a system with poor optimization. If you mean get everything out of it you can, well that never happens as there are always tricks etc you can do to improve performance and/or fidelity slightly. In either case I really do hate the "it uses the full power of a system" claims. Pong can be made to use the 'full power' of the most powerfull pc's.

Pure opinion here, nothing more. Most people prefer the 360 controller to the dual shock. It's too small, feels cheap, and doesn't have very good control ergonomics.... In my opinion. (see what I did there?)

Care to back this up with some real stats on the matter. The internet where unfounded claims are a plenty.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 27 February 2013 - 05:06 AM.

#27 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Well it depends what you mean, its very easy to use the full power of a system with poor optimization. If you mean get everything out of it you can, well that never happens as there are always tricks etc you can do to improve performance and/or fidelity slightly. In either case I really do hate the "it uses the full power of a system" claims. Pong can be made to use the 'full power' of the most powerfull pc's.

Sorry, I was actually referring to the 8gb of ram specifically. Not the system as a whole.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#28 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Care to back this up with some real stats on the matter. The internet where unfounded claims are a plenty.

So I guess you didn't see what I did there. :P

And when people say use the full power of a system, in context it's quite obvious that they are referring to getting the best visual fidelity out of it possible through optimizations and creativity.

Edited by routerbad, 27 February 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#29 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

So I guess you didn't see what I did there. :P

And when people say use the full power of a system, in context it's quite obvious that they are referring to getting the best visual fidelity out of it possible through optimizations and creativity.

lol, I hadn't had my coffee and it was late. :P

#30 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

lol, I hadn't had my coffee and it was late. :P

Understandable to be sure! I was only trying to point out that stating opinions as fact don't really help further the discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!