Photo

Exactly how large is the power gap between the Wii U and the PS4?

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#41 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Not only here on these forums but across the net people are going back and forth saying the PS4 is slightly more than the Wii U or the PS4 completely blows away the Wii U, could someone just tell me how powerful the Wii U is compared to the PS4? i mean is it 360 to PS3 weak or Wii to PS3 weak?

#42 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

well until Nintendo releases the Wii U specs nobody will know,

#43 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Not only here on these forums but across the net people are going back and forth saying the PS4 is slightly more than the Wii U or the PS4 completely blows away the Wii U, could someone just tell me how powerful the Wii U is compared to the PS4? i mean is it 360 to PS3 weak or Wii to PS3 weak?

It is not clear yet.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#44 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

No-one knows, the full Wii U specs are unknown

#45 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

7, exactly 7

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#46 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

.....9001 times more powerful.....

#47 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Based on what I've seen, studied, calculated, etc...and got that its 37x better...lol, so I decided to take all of the data from that and compared it here:

http://www.hwcompare...radeon-hd-7970/

It could vary a little bit because the PS4 will likely have the Radeon 8970 because its supposed to have the next best radeon series card, and I gave the Wii U's card a 4650 with 512 MB just to split the RAM between the GPU and CPU evenly, however there's a difference between VRAM and regular RAM, so it's not exact.

After that i tested again myself and got a similar result.

Based on the link and my evaluations, the PS4 is roughly 6-7x more powerful...and considering that both GPU's are more advanced than it was back in the Xbox and PS3 was like 50x more powerful than Wii, this is actually a pretty big jump. I honestly think now that Nintendo should be worried.
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#48 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

things are known and 100% accurate

wii U ram bandwidth 146gb/s vs ps4 176gb/s so ps4 here is 0.15x better

Wii U have 2gb of ram and 36mb of EDRAM vs ps4 with 8 gb of ram so ps4 here is 4x better

wii U got 8 or 32gb of internal memory/hdd ps4 will come with much more in 2 different models (so ps4 wins here also).

wii U got usb 2.0 low voltage ones vs ps4 with usb3 ports.... ps4 wins that also

All the rest are uknown... maybe nintendo awaits both sony and microsoft to finalise their hardware, be able show some things, who knows...

@ EVO dont give stupid links with imaginery graphic cards for ps4... PS4 cannot have that gpu... grow up.. Ps4 have a 6xxx gpu at 1.78 tflops theoretically peak or a very low end 7xxx series. Also wii U CANNOT have 4xxx or 5xxx because the cards up to 5xxxx are ATI branded. AMD and Nintendo claims its AMD radeon based. So its 6xxx series.

if ps4 had this gpu, it should cost 900dollars minimum speculation

Edited by Orion, 23 February 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#49 Fatso

Fatso

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

There is a power gap, but no where near the gap between the ps3 and wii, the wii u's gpcpu whatever you call it is unique and developers havent yet fully figured out how  to utilise its full power, but as many developers have said, the wii u is quite capable, its just about how to tap into the power

#50 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

@ EVO dont give stupid links with imaginery graphic cards for ps4... PS4 cannot have that gpu... grow up.. Ps4 have a 6xxx gpu at 1.78 tflops theoretically peak or a very low end 7xxx series. Also wii U CANNOT have 4xxx or 5xxx because the cards up to 5xxxx are ATI branded. AMD and Nintendo claims its AMD radeon based. So its 6xxx series.
if ps4 had this gpu, it should cost 900dollars minimum speculation

Don't start with me cuz ur gonna lose! And you think I actually know the specs? I took the specs from the analyzed die when that company did it and confirmed its capabilities were in between a 4650-4670, so while it can be a 6xxx card, it was probably downgraded to avoid cost, but maintain software compatibility like Open GL or whatever the hell it's called. AND because its a Graphics Core Next card for PS4, it's likely an 8xxx series because that's what AMD dubbed it. So back off

But while am hating..u were right about the RAM and its bandwidth , HDD, and uSB. :P
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

#51 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

PS4 specs are:

8 Jaguar Core x86-64 CPU (Tablet CPU)
Radeon HD7870M (M, for mobile platforms, aka Laptops)
8GB DDR5 (most of it will be used by system, for streaming, recording, downloading, etc...)

How large gap is?

Wii U can do everything that PS4 can, but only in 720p.

#52 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Don't start with me cuz ur gonna lose! And you think I actually know the specs? I took the specs from the analyzed die when that company did it and confirmed its capabilities were in between a 4650-4670, so while it can be a 6xxx card, it was probably downgraded to avoid cost, but maintain software compatibility like Open GL or whatever the hell it's called. AND because its a Graphics Core Next card for PS4, it's likely an 8xxx series because that's what AMD dubbed it. So back off

But while am hating..u were right about the RAM and its bandwidth , HDD, and uSB. :P

what company, chipworks? Its different to say a 6xxx series downgraded, than a 4xxx. Because they brand them differently

If its 8xxxx its M series... Because its impossible to have 8xxx series, before its official release. U sound funny

http://en.wikipedia....ds_(GPU_family)

8xxx series are unknown specs yet... And they will be released in 2014, I think I ve read an announcement from AMD, that no new gpus planed for 2013. Also Nvidia released TITAN, but the next models will be released next year.... lol Mobile series will be released this year.

Also, as for the gpu you stated.. 7970.. is 4.6 tflops gpu and costs 400-500 dollars lol

Here is a chart for 7870m http://www.videocard...Radeon HD 7870M
Here is a chart for wii U gpu http://www.videocard...on E6760&id=251

So technically as a gpu, looks 1x-2x more powerfull. We dont know the modifications they ve made both companies

Edited by Orion, 23 February 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#53 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Power to weight ratio.

But really it's not always about what's under the hood but its how it is used.
Once the other systems have launched and we give it a good 2 yrs. then we will see how things weight out between the 3 systems.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#54 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Based on what I've seen, studied, calculated, etc...and got that its 37x better...lol, so I decided to take all of the data from that and compared it here:

http://www.hwcompare...radeon-hd-7970/

It could vary a little bit because the PS4 will likely have the Radeon 8970 because its supposed to have the next best radeon series card, and I gave the Wii U's card a 4650 with 512 MB just to split the RAM between the GPU and CPU evenly, however there's a difference between VRAM and regular RAM, so it's not exact.

After that i tested again myself and got a similar result.

Based on the link and my evaluations, the PS4 is roughly 6-7x more powerful...and considering that both GPU's are more advanced than it was back in the Xbox and PS3 was like 50x more powerful than Wii, this is actually a pretty big jump. I honestly think now that Nintendo should be worried.

Yeah, no, it will not be using the Radeon 8970. The GPU isn't available commercially yet and would cost wayyyyy too much for Sony to include. Also, that GPU does way more than 1.8 TFLOPS. They are using either a 6000 or 7000 series radeon, likely a 6770 or 7770 would probably fit the bill based on what they've revealed. Barts has more power than what they are using, which is in the 6870 (2.1 TFLOPS). The 6000 series was DX11 capable. very nice GPU's. Based on that I'm going to say probably 80% more power (in game, not based on raw FLOPS) or 1.8X the Wii U. That's assuming the Wii U GPU is based on the e6760 (which everything we've seen points to). Definitely more capable, but no where near what some people think. Everyone gets sucked into thinking about everything in terms of FLOPS, forgetting it is Nintendo that has been able to get very close to peak performance thresholds while PS3 and 360 could not. The PS4 CPU is very nice as well, but comparing the Wii U CPU to Jaguar is apples and oranges. They both execute instructions, but in very different ways.

Power to weight ratio.

But really it's not always about what's under the hood but its how it is used.
Once the other systems have launched and we give it a good 2 yrs. then we will see how things weight out between the 3 systems.

I think the Wii U is going to stomp both of the other systems in performance/watt

#55 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Essentially in my head the gap is I guesstimate psvita (wii U) to wiiU (ps3). I feel this is close you can go to a comparision without getting technical and also being easy to comprehend.

#56 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

what company, chipworks? Its different to say a 6xxx series downgraded, than a 4xxx. Because they brand them differently
If its 8xxxx its M series... Because its impossible to have 8xxx series, before its official release. U sound funny
http://en.wikipedia....ds_(GPU_family)
8xxx series are unknown specs yet... And they will be released in 2014, I think I ve read an announcement from AMD, that no new gpus planed for 2013. Also Nvidia released TITAN, but the next models will be released next year.... lol Mobile series will be released this year.
Also, as for the gpu you stated.. 7970.. is 4.6 tflops gpu and costs 400-500 dollars lol
Here is a chart for 7870m http://www.videocard...Radeon HD 7870M
Here is a chart for wii U gpu http://www.videocard...6760&#38;id=251
So technically as a gpu, looks 1x-2x more powerfull. We dont know the modifications they ve made both companies

Similar to how the Wii U's GPU was down scaled in terms of Clock Speed, the Raw Power of the PS4 GPU could be a 7970 Card, but down scaled in terms of sheer power, while maintaining compatibility.

And the 8xxx series is due for release this year, so it could be one of those cards, just low scale.

And Finally, I've even emailed AMD before, in which they confirmed that its a CUSTOMIZED Radeon e6760, however Nintendo likely customized it down lol

I honestly still support my opinion that its 6-7x better

Yeah, no, it will not be using the Radeon 8970. The GPU isn't available commercially yet and would cost wayyyyy too much for Sony to include.

Welcome to the world of Sony, please pay the $2000 admission fee :P

#57 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Essentially in my head the gap is I guesstimate psvita (wii U) to wiiU (ps3). I feel this is close you can go to a comparision without getting technical and also being easy to comprehend.

That's actually a close assessment. I'd run with that. PSVita is very close to PS3 in terms of power and actually exceeds in in terms of graphics processing potential. The PS3 GPU was complete garbage, even at that time.

#58 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

That's actually a close assessment. I'd run with that. PSVita is very close to PS3 in terms of power and actually exceeds in in terms of graphics processing potential. The PS3 GPU was complete garbage, even at that time.

I think they relied on the cell processor picking up the slack which in its day was a beast just a bit complicated too work with.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#59 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

I think they relied on the cell processor picking up the slack which in its day was a beast just a bit complicated too work with.

Bingo. The Cell was a beast, but it took everything Sony had to teach people how to develop for the console.

#60 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, no, it will not be using the Radeon 8970. The GPU isn't available commercially yet and would cost wayyyyy too much for Sony to include. Also, that GPU does way more than 1.8 TFLOPS. They are using either a 6000 or 7000 series radeon, likely a 6770 or 7770 would probably fit the bill based on what they've revealed. Barts has more power than what they are using, which is in the 6870 (2.1 TFLOPS). The 6000 series was DX11 capable. very nice GPU's. Based on that I'm going to say probably 80% more power (in game, not based on raw FLOPS) or 1.8X the Wii U. That's assuming the Wii U GPU is based on the e6760 (which everything we've seen points to). Definitely more capable, but no where near what some people think. Everyone gets sucked into thinking about everything in terms of FLOPS, forgetting it is Nintendo that has been able to get very close to peak performance thresholds while PS3 and 360 could not. The PS4 CPU is very nice as well, but comparing the Wii U CPU to Jaguar is apples and oranges. They both execute instructions, but in very different ways.

I think the Wii U is going to stomp both of the other systems in performance/watt

No... Watch the video again... He says the GPU is nearly 2tflops in theory... nearly = 1.76tflops If in theory can peak "nearly" 2 tflops, except it no more than 1.2-1.5

Also the cpu cores are underclocked and amd + underclock = not a good thing, lots of bottlenecks... That means the gpu will evendually get lots of stuff to do, so the nearly 2 tflops will stay in theory

If am right, each ps4 core will be arround 1.6?

Edited by Orion, 23 February 2013 - 07:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!