• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

If this is true, I hope it turns out in everyone's favor. :)

#22 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

Im all up for more indie devs but hopefully Nintendo will be able to reel in the big third-party devs.

Third party devs especially the big ones aren't going to be swayed by free dev kits. The only ones who would be are small indie developers. This isn't going to enough to garner third party support.

Awesome!!!!!!! F#@KING GIVE ONE TO ROCKSTAR NINTENDO, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I presume you're being sarcastic with that comment.

#23 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

To what extent is this rumor plausible? Can anyone tell me?

Posted Image

#24 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Awesome!!!!!!! F#@KING GIVE ONE TO ROCKSTAR NINTENDO, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

They already have one, silly.

#25 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

To what extent is this rumor plausible? Can anyone tell me?

It's already been confirmed, select developers have been handed free dev kits and licenses for Unity.

#26 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Oh . My. God

If this is true..... 3RD PARTY SUPPORT FOR MILES!

Signature_Fox.png

#27 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

Third party devs especially the big ones aren't going to be swayed by free dev kits. The only ones who would be are small indie developers. This isn't going to enough to garner third party support.

This is very true.  The cost of a development kit is nothing for a big publisher, but for a small Indie company who may not be real familiar with the improvements Nintendo has made to thier digital distribution service.  Nintendo went from being the least Indie friendly to the most friendly, except for Steam of course, and now they just need to get these developers to give it a try.  If its cheap and easy to port over a game that they are developing for Steam anyway, they will be inclined to do it, even if sales expectations are somewhat low.  Nintendo could create a similar enviroment on the Wii U that Steam has on PC.  Wii U could end up being the console of choice for Indie games for both developers and gamers alike. 

#28 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Steam can't be that friendly, its taken MONTHS to get Pinball Arcade greenlit despite the fact its on pretty much every other platform already.

Even now I expect the Wii U version to get released before the Steam one.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 19 April 2013 - 01:18 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#29 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

Reduced licensing and royalty fees would, and they're doing that as well

#30 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I hope this is true. If not they need to do this so badly.

How do you know this won't win third party support? No offense but your opinion lacks actual legitimacy. A free dev ket would actually do a good job encouraging lazy devs like EA to get started.

Signature_DK.png

#31 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

How do you know this won't win third party support? No offense but your opinion lacks actual legitimacy. A free dev ket would actually do a good job encouraging lazy devs like EA to get started.

A $5000 dev unit is small potatoes to EA, who already have dev units and a publishing license for the platform.  It doesn't really do anything for them.  What does is lowering the overall cost to publish on the platform, which allows publishers to recoup more of the money.

#32 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

A $5000 dev unit is small potatoes to EA, who already have dev units and a publishing license for the platform.  It doesn't really do anything for them.  What does is lowering the overall cost to publish on the platform, which allows publishers to recoup more of the money.

It's not really about money. It's about proving that developing games for the Wii U isn't torture. It's a friendly gesture per say.

Signature_DK.png

#33 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

It's not really about money. It's about proving that developing games for the Wii U isn't torture. It's a friendly gesture per say.

No, it really is about money.  It has nothing to do with how easy or difficult development is, because they have the resources to figure it out if they believe there is proper return on investment.  Friendly gestures are for the birds, and what Nintendo are doing is not about being "friendly" its about attracting developers to the console.  The moves they have made do two things, 1)make the impact costs for development as low as possible 2)provide competitive fee structure that maximizes profit for developers.

#34 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

No, it really is about money.  It has nothing to do with how easy or difficult development is, because they have the resources to figure it out if they believe there is proper return on investment.  Friendly gestures are for the birds, and what Nintendo are doing is not about being "friendly" its about attracting developers to the console.  The moves they have made do two things, 1)make the impact costs for development as low as possible 2)provide competitive fee structure that maximizes profit for developers.

Good point

Signature_DK.png

#35 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

They are not giving away free Dev Kits. They are lending them to Developers to make games for the system. Every one of the dev kits that was loaned, is just til the developer finish their games. After the game is finished, they will be giving them back to Nintendo.

#36 ameritt

ameritt

Spiny

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

They are not giving away free Dev Kits. They are lending them to Developers to make games for the system. Every one of the dev kits that was loaned, is just til the developer finish their games. After the game is finished, they will be giving them back to Nintendo.

Where is your source for this? Cause this is the first time I've seen this

#37 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

Sorry, there is no word of that being the case, select indie devs have been sending information to Nintendo Enthusiast and others confirming that they have received dev kits free of charge, no loan, but comes with the stipulation that they will release a game for the system.

#38 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

This is very true.  The cost of a development kit is nothing for a big publisher, but for a small Indie company who may not be real familiar with the improvements Nintendo has made to thier digital distribution service.  Nintendo went from being the least Indie friendly to the most friendly, except for Steam of course, and now they just need to get these developers to give it a try.  If its cheap and easy to port over a game that they are developing for Steam anyway, they will be inclined to do it, even if sales expectations are somewhat low.  Nintendo could create a similar enviroment on the Wii U that Steam has on PC.  Wii U could end up being the console of choice for Indie games for both developers and gamers alike. 

But people don't want small indie mini-games, where are the games from the big studios ?

having loads of indie games won't sell the system because it is far easier for developers to make games for the PC & i would think that 99% of WiiU owners have a PC or laptop so just buy it on that system, without the need to invest in a WiiU.

#39 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

Reduced licensing and royalty fees would, and they're doing that as well

Sure but this thread is discussing free dev kits which wouldn't neccessarily sway a major developer as its a one time expense and not that big a deal for them. Reduced licensing and royalty fees would certainly be more of an incentive as it would apply to every unit of software sold which in the grand scheme of things could be a big saving.

No its not going to win third party support especially major developers for whom the savings wouldn't be enough for them to commit resources to Wii U development. There is nothing wrong with the legitimacy of my comments. It makes perfect sense but obviously you can't see it. Its common sense at the end of the day and doesn't take any inside knowledge. Free dev kits would do nothing for the major developers and publishers.

Friendly gesture or not its certainly about the money. Free dev kits don't have any incentive for major developers. Reduced licencing and royalty fees would be a much better incentive.

#40 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Sure but this thread is discussing free dev kits which wouldn't neccessarily sway a major developer as its a one time expense and not that big a deal for them. Reduced licensing and royalty fees would certainly be more of an incentive as it would apply to every unit of software sold which in the grand scheme of things could be a big saving.

No its not going to win third party support especially major developers for whom the savings wouldn't be enough for them to commit resources to Wii U development. There is nothing wrong with the legitimacy of my comments. It makes perfect sense but obviously you can't see it. Its common sense at the end of the day and doesn't take any inside knowledge. Free dev kits would do nothing for the major developers and publishers.

Friendly gesture or not its certainly about the money. Free dev kits don't have any incentive for major developers. Reduced licencing and royalty fees would be a much better incentive.

That about sums it up :)

But people don't want small indie mini-games, where are the games from the big studios ?

having loads of indie games won't sell the system because it is far easier for developers to make games for the PC & i would think that 99% of WiiU owners have a PC or laptop so just buy it on that system, without the need to invest in a WiiU.

The reason indies are so popular right now is two fold.  Most of the indie studios out there have some very experienced game developers at the helm, and indies are delivering rich, polished, and innovative experiences for less money and sometimes give their backers a little creative control.  There is nothing not to like.  Meanwhile, most major publishers are iterating the same titles every year, for the same price, and many are outright refusing to deliver on the games that the gaming community really wants because they are afraid of putting resources into anything that isnt a sure bet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nintendo, wii u, third party, news, twitter, destructoid, andy w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!