45 replies to this topic

#41 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:09 AM

That about sums it up :)
The reason indies are so popular right now is two fold.  Most of the indie studios out there have some very experienced game developers at the helm, and indies are delivering rich, polished, and innovative experiences for less money and sometimes give their backers a little creative control.  There is nothing not to like.  Meanwhile, most major publishers are iterating the same titles every year, for the same price, and many are outright refusing to deliver on the games that the gaming community really wants because they are afraid of putting resources into anything that isnt a sure bet.

Agreed.

#42 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Where is your source for this? Cause this is the first time I've seen this

I cannot give the source. I can only tell you what the friends of mine who are developing a game for the Wii U have told me who have received one of the loaner dev kits. It is still a good thing. It allow developers a chance to make a game on wii u without having to spend production money on the dev kit. It is okay if you don't believe me because I have no source. It is just the rumour of Free dev kits just isn't what these articles are making it seem to be.

Sorry, there is no word of that being the case, select indie devs have been sending information to Nintendo Enthusiast and others confirming that they have received dev kits free of charge, no loan, but comes with the stipulation that they will release a game for the system.

When they are finished, they will return the dev kit.

Edited by Tre, 21 April 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#43 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

I cannot give the source. I can only tell you what the friends of mine who are developing a game for the Wii U have told me who have received one of the loaner dev kits. It is still a good thing. It allow developers a chance to make a game on wii u without having to spend production money on the dev kit. It is okay if you don't believe me because I have no source. It is just the rumour of Free dev kits just isn't what these articles are making it seem to be.

When they are finished, they will return the dev kit.

I don't care who your friends are, I wouldn't believe that for a second.  Loaner dev kits make zero sense.  "Here come develop for our platform, but you have to return the dev kit after you ship the first game" that would get exactly one game out of any dev that got it.  It isn't a rumor anymore, a number of developers have confirmed on twitter and elsewhere (reported to and by Nintendoenthusiast) that they have received free devkits, and that those devkits come with a single stipulation, ship at least one title to the Wii U.  The developer is allowed to set release date, price, etc.

#44 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

I don't care who your friends are, I wouldn't believe that for a second.  Loaner dev kits make zero sense.  "Here come develop for our platform, but you have to return the dev kit after you ship the first game" that would get exactly one game out of any dev that got it.  It isn't a rumor anymore, a number of developers have confirmed on twitter and elsewhere (reported to and by Nintendoenthusiast) that they have received free devkits, and that those devkits come with a single stipulation, ship at least one title to the Wii U.  The developer is allowed to set release date, price, etc.

I really don't care what you believe. I said what I said. I know what going on with the devs kits. It's a good thing no matter what. The whole point is they allowing devs the chance to delevop a game on Wii U without having to buy the dev kit. I don't understand why it matter that much. But since you want some sort of source to confer with what I was told. http://nintychronicl...-on-good-faith/

#45 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

I really don't care what you believe. I said what I said. I know what going on with the devs kits. It's a good thing no matter what. The whole point is they allowing devs the chance to delevop a game on Wii U without having to buy the dev kit. I don't understand why it matter that much. But since you want some sort of source to confer with what I was told. http://nintychronicl...-on-good-faith/

That source only confirms what I've already said, they provide dev kits with the stipulation that the developers create and publish a game on the eshop.  "lent us a dev kit" is a colloquialism.

#46 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

That source only confirms what I've already said, they provide dev kits with the stipulation that the developers create and publish a game on the eshop.  "lent us a dev kit" is a colloquialism.

Okay you right I'm wrong. Basically, it is a good thing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nintendo, wii u, third party, news, twitter, destructoid, andy w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!