35 replies to this topic

#1 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

POPULAR

With the recent expiration of the IP chat service, Feld0 and I have reached a decision on the fate of the chat.  I'm sorry to say, but we have decided to discontinue the chat.

Let me make it clear why we chose to do so, the chat was not helping the forum community and has slowly devolved over time.  Despite what the chat used to be in the past, it became a place to spam, questionable content, and a hotbed of drama (with various issues that leaked onto the forums themselves).  There was no one member that did this, it is the nature of a real time chat.  In a real time chat, users are less likely to act decent towards other users, whether it be because of the moderation difficulties or because they simply cannot control themselves.  There were no other real options possible to "save" the chat, the chat itself was incredibly difficult to moderate, even with administrative permissions.

The purpose and goal of this site is to be a great forum and community for discussing the WiiU and Nintendo, but unfortunately the chat has put a tremendous strain on the community.  Without the chat, we can focus more on strengthening the community and making it the best we can.

#2 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

POPULAR

mr-t-crying.gif

794144.png?13383682

#3 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Peace has returned to the land!

Signature_DK.png

#4 HotelSoap!

HotelSoap!

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pikachu

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

POPULAR

tumblr_maedy3ToUA1rcsjq9o1_400.gifpokmon-pwned.gif

Posted ImagePosted Image I'm cute, stare at me while I steal your soul

#5 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

I would say something, but I said everything I wanted to in the other thread.

Focusing on the community is for the best.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#6 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

awesome :D now i can go to skype...........chat was good but it was tainted.....bye mixed memories 

wjapt2.jpg

#7 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Completely understandable decision.

If you guys wish to contact me "off hours" just send me a PM. I'm on here from awakening to sleep, so I constantly refresh. See you around the forums otherwise!

#8 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

POPULAR

I'm fine with this now, Skype works great and we don't have to worry about what we talk about and we can decide who joins our conversation.

#9 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Skype is working well. I don't mind that the chat is gone. I get to know users more personally this way anyway.

#10 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Let me express my thoughts on this topic.

I do agree that chat wasn't helping the community as of late. But, this was due to about 3-5 members, intentional or not, had done things to degrade chat's quality. They started the drama, bickered pointlessly with other members, harming the chat in it's own, and many other things. Then this caused the problem of people trying to get each other banned, once again with more problems. As for spamming questionable content, I haven't been too familiar with it, and haven't seen it within the past week or so.

As for acting kindly towards members. I don't think this was a major problem, but some people might have taken innocent jokes, and placed them as personal attacks. Most of the people I saw in chat were very kind, once again, some people had to ruin it. As for saving the chat, I thought over the past few days, people were acting positive in chat. We even had some discussions for games for once, and nothing seemed negative. While I think everyone contributed to chat's harm a little bit, I think most of the damage was made by a few specific people. I do understand that chat rooms are difficult to moderate because of their nature, but once again, many problems requiring mod/admin assistance stemmed from specific people.

I wish the mods/admins could have taken a look at what chat's stance was like this week. No trolling, flaming, or anything else. Due to the banning of trouble makers. I'm fine with people joining another chat room from a different site, as they might see it as superior. But I really wish chat could have been given another chance.

I think there could have been a few ways to save the chat if it still existed.

1. Inspecting the chat logs after seeing that members who had apparently ruined the chat had been removed.

2. Allowing a larger access gate to enter chat. More posts, apply for entry, IP Check, etc.

I'm sorry for saying this ( I usually don't like pointing fingers at anyone), but I think Poison's comment " Peace has returned to the land!" is very hypocritical. Especially when some of his actions actually lead to chat's demise.

All I ask is that chat be given another chance. Possibly with the recommendations I listed above.

Edited by Firejonie, 16 April 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#11 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Well, no more worrying about Turbo posting up sonic songs now.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#12 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Well, no more worrying about Turbo posting up sonic songs now.

Who's Turbo? 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#13 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

R.I.P. Will be missed. Hopefully one day, once this community has evolved, chat will reappear.

Edited by Blake, 16 April 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#14 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

R.I.P. Will be missed. Hopefully one day, once this community has evolved, chat will reappear.

when the new console is announced do you think the name of this forum will change and possibly your chat box?

wjapt2.jpg

#15 Trash Waifu

Trash Waifu

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

I pretty much have to agree with everything Mig said in the other topic;I agree chat had become a huge problem, but it wasn't removed until there seemed to be some semblance of hope for it to return to its previous state.

#16 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Now people are going to invade... other places, Mourn. If you know what I'm saying. Other than that, I don't care too much about chat dying. It's not really alive in the first place considering a lot of the people are AFK most of the time.

#17 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

It's sad but it's for the best.

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#18 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I pretty much have to agree with everything Mig said in the other topic;I agree chat had become a huge problem, but it wasn't removed until there seemed to be some semblance of hope for it to return to its previous state.

I agree as well. A real kick in the gut was that chat was removed, during the period of time in which we thought chat was going to be safe. Due to the peace and civilized discussions occurring over the past week and a half, with no drama.

Edited by Firejonie, 16 April 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#19 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Goomba, on 16 Apr 2013 - 9:18 PM, said:It's sad but it's for the best.

This is the truth. Moving on is hard to do, but its for the best now.

#20 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'm going to repost what I said in the other topic, because that took some time to write, so deal with it.

I figured that I might as well give my perspective on this big old chat thing as well, since was really involved with it at some points in it's life...

My story starts off much in the same way that Blake's does. Late April last year, I stumbled across these forums and decided, ehhh, what the hell, I'll give it a go. I've never been on a forums before, and so I really didn't know what any of the lingo was, or how to even use the place. Over time I figured things out, all except on thing. That obnoxious blinking chat icon at the top of the page that we used to have, telling me that I had 2 chat. What the hell was a chat? I dunno, but I was sure as hell going to find out. I made my 5 posts, and stumbled my way in there, only to find two guys just hanging out, talking games and hanging out. One of those members was Blake. I'll spare you the details for how my nights went from then on, as it was virtually identical to how Blake's went, but over time, Blake and I grew as friends, and some new guys got thrown into the mix. Over time, we had our group of regulars that would go in there, and have fun after a tiring day of just life... These people were slowly changing and evolving from people that sat behind an avatar, into real world people, and real world friends. We started swapping pictures, playing games together, watching movies, and hell even voice chatting with one another. These are things that friends do, not people who are just talking avatars with opinions. I have so many memories, and so much nostalgia for the glory days of the chat. So many jokes and moments that I'll remember for the rest of my life, with people that I'll remember for the rest of my life. Point and laugh if you must, but I know people on here better than I do in my average day to day life, and that speaks volumes about the kinda of people that used to be on this site...

While I have these memories of this chatroom, I think it was time to let it die. Late last year (somewhere around late November, early December) everything went to hell, and the people in that chat changed for the worse. Immaturity was up, and it just became a breeding ground of drama and problems. While it is hard saying goodbye to an old friend, I think it was time to take the old pal off life support. Even though it didn't die the heroes death it may have deserved (it being the hellhole that it has been), I hope that all of us are able to remember the fun inside jokes that were had in there, and the things that will truly make the connections on this site what they were today. Thank you Feld0, AMAC, and Mourn for letting us have this time in the chat that we love.

-Stay Gold-

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chat, is, dead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!