Photo

Retro, Climax, Monolith or Platinum Games: Who will prove the Wii U is next-gen?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

They kept developing on Xbox 360 because it was easy to develop and the one year headstart made them more efficient on that. Of course that CELL didn`t help change that.

My guess is that for now they will not risk big budgets on smaller platforms and go with they are good at and is less risky.
If they go already for PS4 and X720 development - to actually take advantage of it - it might be a big risk. Specially if it`s a new IP.

It won't be a risk if they already know how to do basic coding on the Wii U, a big reason I have no issues with developers starting off with ports of older games, it allows them to earn their chops on the platform and test the market with their offering.

When they do take advantage of the 720 and PS4, it will be in terms of world size, and LOD.  It may come in the form or more polygon rich models but most developers will probably refrain unless they are going for something specific because they'll know it won't be worth it given the law of diminishing returns and how it applies to computer generated 3d models.

#42 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

It won't be a risk if they already know how to do basic coding on the Wii U, a big reason I have no issues with developers starting off with ports of older games, it allows them to earn their chops on the platform and test the market with their offering.

When they do take advantage of the 720 and PS4, it will be in terms of world size, and LOD.  It may come in the form or more polygon rich models but most developers will probably refrain unless they are going for something specific because they'll know it won't be worth it given the law of diminishing returns and how it applies to computer generated 3d models.

That`S why i said before that it will depend on what game they will develop. If it`s something big it might make sense starting on Xbox or PS.

#43 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

That`S why i said before that it will depend on what game they will develop. If it`s something big it might make sense starting on Xbox or PS.

If it's something big that would be difficult to code on Wii U or couldn't be handled by Wii U I doubt they'd even attempt it.

#44 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, StarFox, Kid Icarus, SSB

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

From my POV, it's a 3-way tie for PlatinumGames, Retro Studios, and MonolithSoft.

Bayonetta2banner102414.png

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#45 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

Well, Wii U will never have "next-gen" graphics, simply put.

Although I think Monolith will make the best-looking game.

One question: what are you basing this off of?

Every game we have seen has been developed on either alpha hardware and wasn't given enough time to look as good as it could, or was a port. We all know the Wii U (and the PS4) depend on a weaker CPU and a more powerful GPU (called a GPGPU). Last Gen, every game used only one processor for graphics and the GPU, where now they will have to use more than one processor and depend more on the GPU.

So, at E3, you will be proven wrong.

(now don't miss understand, exclusive PS4 games will end up looking better in some way then Wii U, just like PS3 games can look better than Xbox 360 {Last of Us} but that doesn't mean the Wii U games won't look "next Gen")

And as a side note, I am using next Gen as a measure of graphics, even though in truth the Wii U is next Gen.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#46 Half

Half

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • NNID:HalfName
  • Fandom:
    Curse all fanboys/girls.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

One question: what are you basing this off of?

Every game we have seen has been developed on either alpha hardware and wasn't given enough time to look as good as it could, or was a port. We all know the Wii U (and the PS4) depend on a weaker CPU and a more powerful GPU (called a GPGPU). Last Gen, every game used only one processor for graphics and the GPU, where now they will have to use more than one processor and depend more on the GPU.

So, at E3, you will be proven wrong.

(now don't miss understand, exclusive PS4 games will end up looking better in some way then Wii U, just like PS3 games can look better than Xbox 360 {Last of Us} but that doesn't mean the Wii U games won't look "next Gen")

And as a side note, I am using next Gen as a measure of graphics, even though in truth the Wii U is next Gen.

Look at my other posts. At the time I was basing it of the "supposed" PS4 and 720 graphic capabilities, of course, that's a load of... yeah, until they're both out and in their prime. I still consider the Wii U a next gen console, but I don't believe it will reach the graphical quality of end tier next gen. It is my opinion, I just forgot to add "IMO" to the end of my previous comment.

Basically, IMO, Wii U will look better than PS3/360, but will be slightly under the margin of PS4/720, but remember, NO ONE will truly know until the end of this gens lifespan.
One last thing, I don't care about graphics, never have.

FmEkJ2.gif

#47 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

If it's something big that would be difficult to code on Wii U or couldn't be handled by Wii U I doubt they'd even attempt it.

The big risk to me would be in going on a big project on the more powerful consoles - given that they want to take advantage of that power.

If they don`t want that, starting development based on Wii U seems to be a better idea. Financially, less risky.

#48 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

The big risk to me would be in going on a big project on the more powerful consoles - given that they want to take advantage of that power.

If they don`t want that, starting development based on Wii U seems to be a better idea. Financially, less risky.

It will be much cheaper to develop for Wii U for sure.  Developers that want to "take advantage" of the PS4 or the 720 will have to wrestle with higher development costs.

#49 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Now all I need to do is get my fiancee to say that I was right and my life is complete :laugh:

Assuming that your a guy and the fiancee is a girl, that will never happen lol. ^_~

Look at my other posts. At the time I was basing it of the "supposed" PS4 and 720 graphic capabilities, of course, that's a load of... yeah, until they're both out and in their prime. I still consider the Wii U a next gen console, but I don't believe it will reach the graphical quality of end tier next gen. It is my opinion, I just forgot to add "IMO" to the end of my previous comment.

Basically, IMO, Wii U will look better than PS3/360, but will be slightly under the margin of PS4/720, but remember, NO ONE will truly know until the end of this gens lifespan.
One last thing, I don't care about graphics, never have.

I just read your other post. ^_^

And to the OP ... I am a fan of Retro. Out of all the developers for Nintendo, including Nintendo themselves, none of them possess the abilities to create a beautiful work of art like they do.

#50 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Retro_Studios_logo.png

The pushed limits with the Gamecube, now that they have a powerful piece of hardware in their hands again, they could do anything. They're also producing a Wii U engine which will look phenomenal. 

With hirings from Naughty Dog, Vigil, and BioWare, their team is increasing in skilled developers and I can't wait to see their Wii U project at E3 in a month and half. metroid-blue.jpg

Edited by RogueStatus28, 19 April 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#51 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'm guessing Retro. Monolith is more about art style than raw graphics.

Posted Image

#52 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

I don't mean to sound stupid but who is climax?

Signature_DK.png

#53 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

I don't mean to sound stupid but who is climax?

The only third-party dev other than Ubisoft to the treat the Wii U as a Next-Gen console atm.

#54 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

What X needs to be considered Next Gen IMO

- Huge draw distances

- Vast explorable open world

- 30 frames - smooth even when online

- Native 720p

- Little to no loading times/less frequent loading times

- Maybe better enemy models, but I'd sacrifice better enemy models for the above

- Great AI from NPCs

- Great gamepad features such as built in cross-chat, great gameplay (they've already proved this IMO)

It does not need

- Native 1080p

- Unreal 4 style details, particle effects, physics etc

- 60 frames

-----

Things Bayonetta needs to be "Next Gen"

- Native 720p

- 60 frames minimum - this kind of gameplay is fast paced, the framerate should be 60.

- Larger Levels

- Fast loading times

- Great enemy AI

- Next gen physics with character models, enemies and levels such as crumbling buildings etc

- Next gen lighting

- High quality A+++ current gen character models and enviroment textures, hey from what I've seen of Bayo 2, it's not looking massively impressive, looks very current gen, I'm not expecting miracles unlike a lot of people. But I am expecting a very high standard 

- - Great gamepad feature, great gameplay

What it doesn't really need to be considered Next Gen

- Unreal 4 details on character models, textures etc

- Native 1080p

- Less frequent loading times

- Massive draw distances

--------

Things Retro need for their project to be considered "Next Gen"

- Unreal 4esque details in character models and environments, talking real time reflections, tessellation, lighting, particle and lighting effects, lovely explosion effects etc

- Great Physics

- Buttersmooth 30 frames minimum but I'm hoping for 60 frames, so long as it's smooth.

- Great enemy AI

- Amazing online functionality

- Native 720p

- Great gamepad usage, and great gameplay

Things it does not need

- Native 1080p

- Fast loading times

- Massively improved draw distance

- Massive improvement in load time frequency

--------

Things Climax need to do

- Lovely visuals that pretty much match the Xbox and PS4 versions

- Smooth framerate

- Great gamepad features

What is doesn't need

Native 1080p

#55 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

Retro_Studios_logo.png

The pushed limits with the Gamecube, now that they have a powerful piece of hardware in their hands again, they could do anything. They're also producing a Wii U engine which will look phenomenal. 

Source?

#56 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

Source?

its a rumor, nothing more.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#57 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

its a rumor, nothing more.

I'm pretty sure they created a new engine for each game they made, so it seems likely that they will make a new engine that takes the full capabilities of the system.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#58 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

What X needs to be considered Next Gen IMO

- Huge draw distances
- Vast explorable open world
- 30 frames - smooth even when online
- Native 720p
- Little to no loading times/less frequent loading times
- Maybe better enemy models, but I'd sacrifice better enemy models for the above
- Great AI from NPCs
- Great gamepad features such as built in cross-chat, great gameplay (they've already proved this IMO)

It does not need

- Native 1080p
- Unreal 4 style details, particle effects, physics etc
- 60 frames

-----

Things Bayonetta needs to be "Next Gen"

- Native 720p
- 60 frames minimum - this kind of gameplay is fast paced, the framerate should be 60.
- Larger Levels
- Fast loading times
- Great enemy AI
- Next gen physics with character models, enemies and levels such as crumbling buildings etc
- Next gen lighting
- High quality A+++ current gen character models and enviroment textures, hey from what I've seen of Bayo 2, it's not looking massively impressive, looks very current gen, I'm not expecting miracles unlike a lot of people. But I am expecting a very high standard
- - Great gamepad feature, great gameplay

What it doesn't really need to be considered Next Gen

- Unreal 4 details on character models, textures etc
- Native 1080p
- Less frequent loading times
- Massive draw distances

--------

Things Retro need for their project to be considered "Next Gen"

- Unreal 4esque details in character models and environments, talking real time reflections, tessellation, lighting, particle and lighting effects, lovely explosion effects etc
- Great Physics
- Buttersmooth 30 frames minimum but I'm hoping for 60 frames, so long as it's smooth.
- Great enemy AI
- Amazing online functionality
- Native 720p
- Great gamepad usage, and great gameplay

Things it does not need

- Native 1080p
- Fast loading times
- Massively improved draw distance
- Massive improvement in load time frequency

--------

Things Climax need to do

- Lovely visuals that pretty much match the Xbox and PS4 versions
- Smooth framerate
- Great gamepad features

What is doesn't need

- Native 1080p

What does load times have anything to do with a game being next Gen?

#59 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

What does load times have anything to do with a game being next Gen?

For me the less time you spend waiting for a game to load, the better the game is. Why bump into a loading screen every ten seconds, or spend ages waiting for the next level to load when you can get there instantly. I think ACIII was the largest offender, I've heard Lego City Undercover has excruciating load times too. 

Edited by Penguin101, 20 April 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#60 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

For me the less time you spend waiting for a game to load, the better the game is. Why bump into a loading screen every ten seconds, or spend ages waiting for the next level to load when you can get there instantly. I think ACIII was the largest offender, I've heard Lego City Undercover has excruciating load times too.

But isn't that a system issue? Or are you stating you want the developer to hide the load times somehow?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!