Photo

Iwata Is Aware That People Believe That Wii U Is Underpowered And Says...

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has told investors that he is aware that a large number of developers and consumers believe that the Wii U is significantly underpowered and says that this is a misunderstanding. Iwata says that Nintendo really need to remedy this idea. He also told investors that a number of third-party developers aren’t supporting the console, but he believes that once third-party developers start producing hit franchises on the Wii U then other developers will think again about developing for the platform. Iwata understands that this won’t happen overnight, but Nintendo is working on revitalising Wii U after the summer.

http://mynintendonew...sunderstanding/

http://www.neogaf.co...200&postcount=1

http://www.nintendo....30425qa/03.html

the original news comes from the last link, but is in japanese... answer number 7

Edited by Plutonas, 27 April 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

POPULAR

The Wii U is less underpowered than the Wii was for its time.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

The Q&A translation is usually up a week after.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

It's nice to hear him say that. But of course I know the Wii U isn't as underpowered as some believe.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#5 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

When the wii was launched the current gen was ps2, xbox and gamecube and it was in power terms between the gamecube and original xbox.

Now its less clear, the wii u has more memory and a better gpu but weaker cpu and no hard drive. It does however have a pretty amazing gamepad.

I think when you have developers stating its underpowered its clearly underpowered considering they have full access to the hardware. Consumers aren't allowed such inside information but its not difficult to work out the wii u  hardware is weak.

#6 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

no, wii U have a much better and faster cpu than xbox360, stop reading the trolls...  IBM cpus by default are very low power hungry... thats why the wii U cpu needs 7watts to operate (about that).

Edited by Plutonas, 27 April 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#7 Blade of Dyna

Blade of Dyna

Spear Guy

• Banned
  • 84 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby and Zelda

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

What 3rd party developers?!?! does Iwata seriously believe Watch dogs will prove the Wii U isnt underpowered hell even the ps4 version doesnt look much difference from ps3 graphics

#8 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Nice to see that Iwata actually cares! Good news, thanks for posting.

Posted Image

#9 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

When the wii was launched the current gen was ps2, xbox and gamecube and it was in power terms between the gamecube and original xbox.

Now its less clear, the wii u has more memory and a better gpu but weaker cpu and no hard drive. It does however have a pretty amazing gamepad.

I think when you have developers stating its underpowered its clearly underpowered considering they have full access to the hardware. Consumers aren't allowed such inside information but its not difficult to work out the wii u hardware is weak.

Wii was released in 2006, post Xbox 360 and when the PS3 was being released. It was not only Nintendo's next Gen, but was released in the next generation timeline. Or what is now last generation (or current Gen, depending how you look at it).

And I'll just let Iwata do the talking for his own system. He knows it better than me, and thanks to Sony reveal he knows somewhat of what the PS4 can do. He's in a better position to tell us what the Wii U is or isn't then either you or me.

What 3rd party developers?!?! does Iwata seriously believe Watch dogs will prove the Wii U isnt underpowered hell even the ps4 version doesnt look much difference from ps3 graphics

That's not what he said. He said that he will start working towards letting us know what the Wii U is capable of post summer (probably waiting for E3 time line). And that when third party developers start selling their big titles and doing well on Wii U (like Ubisoft, but he maybe talking about games like Bayonnetta 2 where Nintendo works with a third party) that other developers will want to develop on the Wii U.

Edited by MorbidGod, 27 April 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#10 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

And he didn't know this was going to happen, everyone said that when the WiiU name was announced that people would get confused, furthermore nobody knows what the specs are, i dunno why they just don't come out with them, they should at least have some sort of tech demo that they can show off.

#11 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

I think when you have developers stating its underpowered its clearly underpowered considering they have full access to the hardware. Consumers aren't allowed such inside information but its not difficult to work out the wii u  hardware is weak.

You have developers stating it's underpowered, and you also have other developers stating it's powerful enough. It makes sense to only concentrate on the negative reception, right? Let's totally ignore the positives. Didn't 3dude and routerbad already prove you wrong and you're STILL spewing the same bullcrap?

#12 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

And he didn't know this was going to happen, everyone said that when the WiiU name was announced that people would get confused, furthermore nobody knows what the specs are, i dunno why they just don't come out with them, they should at least have some sort of tech demo that they can show off.

When your competitor(s) are working and tweaking their specs, why give them a measurement of what to beat (yes, I know they can buy the consoles and take it apart and see what it is made of m.. I highly doubt they do though). But even if they do, why make it easier? So, will Nintendo ever come out with it? Maybe, who knows. But we'll see what he plans on doing after the summer is over with.

You have developers stating it's underpowered, and you also have other developers stating it's powerful enough. It makes sense to only concentrate on the negative reception, right? Let's totally ignore the positives. Didn't 3dude and routerbad already prove you wrong and you're STILL spewing the same bullcrap?

No offense to Desert Punk, you know I love debating. But he is arguing with the man who KNOWS what the specs are. Iwata stated this is a misconception. And DP decided to say that the Wii U is weak. Saying it's less powerful then the PS4, which is true, is one thing. But Iwata is not saying it's not underpowered, he is saying it isn't significantly underpowered.

"large number of developers and consumers believe that the Wii U is significantly underpowered and says that this is a misunderstanding."

That is what he said. I'm not making it up. He's either a liar or an idiot. There is no in between.

So DP will believe what he wants to. We'll see what the Wii U can do this summer.

Edited by MorbidGod, 27 April 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#13 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Go ahead Nintendo and proof that the Wii U is not underpowered. Show us some amazing graphics finally.

No sig.

#14 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

Maybe, if you are comparing Heavy Rain (entirely scripted, very little AI, very small detailed environments, a console exclusive which cost a lot of time and money to get that kind of detail, very little to tax the CPU) to Watch Dogs (will be heavy on the CPU due to lots of AI, lots of background things going on, open world, multi-platform so not optimised for a particular console so unlikely to stand up well against PS3 exclusives).

I think you will find once Watch Dogs launches that the PS4 version (and possibly even the Wii U version) will look worlds apart from the PS3 version as the GPU allows plenty of upgrades.  Seemingly little things like shadows and lighting make a world of difference.  Having more building you can see into and have AI characters doing things, it makes the game world seem much more real.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 27 April 2013 - 11:42 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#15 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

That's hardly a glowing recommmendation is it, some saying underpowered  and some saying powerful enough. Facts are facts and no matter how much of a fanboy you are won't change that.

They certainly haven't proved me wrong because all evidence currently dictates the wii u is current gen performance, be it onscreen evidence, developer comments, power consumption, fabrication process. Just because you want 3dude's comments to be true doesn't make them true. I realise this is a hostile crowd but I see little point in pretending something is better than it is. Head over to neogaf if you want opinions from people who do have a clue there has been some pretty good debates on there and much evidence has been drawn into these debates from many different sources. There is far less bias there so you get a much more balanced view. The majority there see it close to current gen performance because the evidence dictates that.

Honestly if you read a forum post that has to insult the ps4 or Xbox 720 or the older models to somehow justify ridiculous claims about wii u performance you don't need me to tell you the person has a heavy bias surely.

If you see the wii u as a console of about current gen performance with a touch screen controller you won't go far wrong. The gpu is a little stronger and the cpu a bit weaker but thats where its at. Some cpu intensive games have been simplified for wii u and some less cpu intensive games have made use of the wii u's superior gpu or additional memory. It's about even overall. Anyone expecting any leaps beyond this is going to be disappointed. What the wii u brings to gaming is fantastic Nintendo games and its unique touchscreen gamepad and that's why I bought one. I was happy with 360 and PS3 overall anyway in most regards on a technical level.

#16 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

First, just would like to say that, according to the neogaf post, it isn`t a large number of developers, but, in the article`s words: "Not only that, but he knows that there are some third parties that are actively supporting Wii U, while others aren't even giving it a second glance."

Well, we know EA is one of them!

One measure Nintendo could (in the sense of being able to presente some alternatives) have taken, would be to ask some 2nd party or 3rd party, to develop a game that is geared towards the market`s tastes. Don`t know if that will happen or not.

#17 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

News flash Nintendo.... Gamers want to SEE it! The talk is getting very old from all the supporters. E3 is going to show the world what Wii U is capable of. So we will see if its a misunderstanding after all.

#18 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

That's hardly a glowing recommmendation is it, some saying underpowered and some saying powerful enough. Facts are facts and no matter how much of a fanboy you are won't change that.

They certainly haven't proved me wrong because all evidence currently dictates the wii u is current gen performance, be it onscreen evidence, developer comments, power consumption, fabrication process. Just because you want 3dude's comments to be true doesn't make them true. I realise this is a hostile crowd but I see little point in pretending something is better than it is. Head over to neogaf if you want opinions from people who do have a clue there has been some pretty good debates on there and much evidence has been drawn into these debates from many different sources. There is far less bias there so you get a much more balanced view. The majority there see it close to current gen performance because the evidence dictates that.

Honestly if you read a forum post that has to insult the ps4 or Xbox 720 or the older models to somehow justify ridiculous claims about wii u performance you don't need me to tell you the person has a heavy bias surely.

If you see the wii u as a console of about current gen performance with a touch screen controller you won't go far wrong. The gpu is a little stronger and the cpu a bit weaker but thats where its at. Some cpu intensive games have been simplified for wii u and some less cpu intensive games have made use of the wii u's superior gpu or additional memory. It's about even overall. Anyone expecting any leaps beyond this is going to be disappointed. What the wii u brings to gaming is fantastic Nintendo games and its unique touchscreen gamepad and that's why I bought one. I was happy with 360 and PS3 overall anyway in most regards on a technical level.

Again, I point to what Iwata is saying.

News flash Nintendo.... Gamers want to SEE it! The talk is getting very old from all the supporters. E3 is going to show the world what Wii U is capable of. So we will see if its a misunderstanding after all.

Well, I would say what ever Nintendo does instead of E3 will prove it. We may Not get game play from tech sites, but Nintendo is going to do something big. They just haven't decided what that move is yet.

Edited by MorbidGod, 27 April 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#19 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Again, I point to what Iwata is saying.

Well, I would say what ever Nintendo does instead of E3 will prove it. We may Not get game play from tech sites, but Nintendo is going to do something big. They just haven't decided what that move is yet.

But we will see what the games look like and that will tell us if we had a misunderstanding or pwoplw saying its just an xbox360 with 1GB of ram and more modern GPU was right. Personally I'm ok with whatever its capable of but Iwata seems to be trying to say it much more capable. We will see in June

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

But we will see what the games look like and that will tell us if we had a misunderstanding or pwoplw saying its just an xbox360 with 1GB of ram and more modern GPU was right. Personally I'm ok with whatever its capable of but Iwata seems to be trying to say it much more capable. We will see in June

Exactly. I said that and agreed. Just pointing that E3 won't be how they will show us. Maybe with Multiple Nintendo Directs, maybe doing something else. We'll see when they show us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!