Photo

Iwata Is Aware That People Believe That Wii U Is Underpowered And Says...

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

So then you mean show the specs or "next Gen" engine? That's why I was confused on what you meant.

yeah dont be vague about it.

#62 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

I mean talk openly like sony recently did with the PS4.

You do realize sony wasn't being open because they care for you, the gamer.  They specifically chose the numbers that would generate the most buzz and the most hype, they actually revealed very little when you think about it.  It was a publicity stunt, not show and tell.  Sony knows they will have the most powerful system so they need to make it sound like the extra cost and the extra power is meaningful, that's marketing.  Nintendo can certainly counteract that type of marketing, but they need Sony and Microsoft to show theirs first, then they can say, "Yeah, they are powerful, but we can do the same things with less" and show some mindblowing games.

#63 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

You do realize sony wasn't being open because they care for you, the gamer.  They specifically chose the numbers that would generate the most buzz and the most hype, they actually revealed very little when you think about it.  It was a publicity stunt, not show and tell.  Sony knows they will have the most powerful system so they need to make it sound like the extra cost and the extra power is meaningful, that's marketing.  Nintendo can certainly counteract that type of marketing, but they need Sony and Microsoft to show theirs first, then they can say, "Yeah, they are powerful, but we can do the same things with less" and show some mindblowing games.

doesnt matter if they care or not. they put the information out there. its some real issues nintendo needs to work on. Iwata has a lot to prove. his promise after promise then apology after apology is getting really old. its like they dont get it at times. if you believe the market, gamers, and media believe your console is underpowered.... just damn show the power. give us a sample of retro's game, or show a unreal 4 title running on Wii U. its not like its rocket science.

#64 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

doesnt matter if they care or not. they put the information out there. its some real issues nintendo needs to work on. Iwata has a lot to prove. his promise after promise then apology after apology is getting really old. its like they dont get it at times. if you believe the market, gamers, and media believe your console is underpowered.... just damn show the power. give us a sample of retro's game, or show a unreal 4 title running on Wii U. its not like its rocket science.

I'm not trying to give more excuses, but Nintendo couldn't up until maybe now, show you a next Gen engine running on the console. I mean they didn't even have final dev kits until weeks before last E3. Why else would Retro want their footage to be pulled?

And yes, now they could show you something now, but they are saving their cards for E3 reveal. Which they should.

Again, though, as I said ... You don't have to believe his words, or logic. You just have to believe when he does show you what your asking for.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#65 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

http://www.nintendo....30qa/index.html

Official English Translation is now available.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#66 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

I'm not trying to give more excuses, but Nintendo couldn't up until maybe now, show you a next Gen engine running on the console. I mean they didn't even have final dev kits until weeks before last E3. Why else would Retro want their footage to be pulled?

And yes, now they could show you something now, but they are saving their cards for E3 reveal. Which they should.

Again, though, as I said ... You don't have to believe his words, or logic. You just have to believe when he does show you what your asking for.

we shall see...

#67 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

Its coming. Expect to see some pretty good looking stuff in the directs between now and e3.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#68 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Judging on his responses that seems to be his intention, but not by throwing spec numbers out there, by showing software.  Nintendo tried to compete in the spec war with the Gamecube and the N64, it burned them twice.

Its coming. Expect to see some pretty good looking stuff in the directs between now and e3.

I certainly expect to.

#69 JoshZebra

JoshZebra

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Wii U underpowered? Compared to 'next gen' consoles yes.  Compared to what Nintendo need it to run, no.  Nintendo can get the most out of the system since it is built to their specs and for the plain fact that processing is not the only main factor to a console.

#70 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

I think there is a lot of truth to that.  Sony didnt release a full spec sheet like have done in the past, instead choosing to flaunt what I am sure are the systems most impressive specs. 

#71 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

I think there is a lot of truth to that.  Sony didnt release a full spec sheet like have done in the past, instead choosing to flaunt what I am sure are the systems most impressive specs. 

It's a typically employed powerpoint tactic.  Show the positives, and only the positives.  If there is a negative, show the positive of the negative to obscure it.  Sony are very good at this, they've always done it, and the one time they couldn't was when they announced the PS3 price, though there was a clear attempt to spin that into a positive by Sony at the time.

#72 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

It's a typically employed powerpoint tactic. Show the positives, and only the positives. If there is a negative, show the positive of the negative to obscure it. Sony are very good at this, they've always done it, and the one time they couldn't was when they announced the PS3 price, though there was a clear attempt to spin that into a positive by Sony at the time.

PS2 vs Dreamcast comes into mind. The Sony Hype Squad made people forget the Dreamcast quickly. Fortunately for Nintendo, they are smarter, have more cash and playing a different game. Let's just hope they have mastered there own game.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#73 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

PS2 vs Dreamcast comes into mind. The Sony Hype Squad made people forget the Dreamcast quickly. Fortunately for Nintendo, they are smarter, have more cash and playing a different game. Let's just hope they have mastered there own game.

Let's hope, we really need Nintendo to stay in this game, and stay strong.

#74 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Remember when system prowess was defined by polygons per second?  Back in the day the PS2 was able to crunch around 15 million compared to the Dreamcast 3 million.  It's the same now with specs, people take flops as being the tell all for system performance, its just not the case.  Depending on who you talk to, the difference between the PS2 and Dreamcast was either marginal or significant.  I personally see the difference being more modest, and time will tell if thats the case with the Wii U vs the 720 and PS4.  No one ever mentions the fact that the 720 is rumored to be less powerful than the PS4, so we could seriously see a PS2, Gamecube,  and Xbox type of generation.  I feel that worst case scenario in terms of graphics prowess, we could have a Dreamcast(Wii U), Gamecube (720), and Xbox (PS4) type of gen. 

#75 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Remember when system prowess was defined by polygons per second?  Back in the day the PS2 was able to crunch around 15 million compared to the Dreamcast 3 million.  It's the same now with specs, people take flops as being the tell all for system performance, its just not the case.  Depending on who you talk to, the difference between the PS2 and Dreamcast was either marginal or significant.  I personally see the difference being more modest, and time will tell if thats the case with the Wii U vs the 720 and PS4.  No one ever mentions the fact that the 720 is rumored to be less powerful than the PS4, so we could seriously see a PS2, Gamecube,  and Xbox type of generation.  I feel that worst case scenario in terms of graphics prowess, we could have a Dreamcast(Wii U), Gamecube (720), and Xbox (PS4) type of gen. 

Indeed. 

#76 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Wii U underpowered? Compared to 'next gen' consoles yes. Compared to what Nintendo need it to run, no. Nintendo can get the most out of the system since it is built to their specs and for the plain fact that processing is not the only main factor to a console.

The wii u isn't underpowered in any sense. Not even compared to ps4.

Is it not quite as powerful? Yes. But it's not underpowered by any means.

The term simply doesn't apply here.

#77 JoshZebra

JoshZebra

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

The wii u isn't underpowered in any sense. Not even compared to ps4.

Is it not quite as powerful? Yes. But it's not underpowered by any means.

The term simply doesn't apply here.

It's only under powered if it doesn't do what it's meant to do.  And I'd pretty much say it is doing fine.

#78 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

It's only under powered if it doesn't do what it's meant to do.  And I'd pretty much say it is doing fine.

It was meant to be a next gen console heralding a new era of gaming.

It is doing that.  But only slightly so far. the Wii U GamePad is an obvious change.  

But the graphics of the Wii U are also one of the things that was heavily focused on.  Right now, the only real evidence we see on that front is NFS, which blows away the competing console versions of the game.  And that is not really a concerted effort to get the most out of Wii U.  It is basically the same game as the other consoles with higher grade PC assets used and some extras tacked on. The Wii U can do much better.  At launch, Nintendo was caught trying to do too much too fast with too little time, so they created some games that could simply fill the void (less costly development costs while buying time for the more demanding game productions) while also having third parties struggle with immature tools and outdated development creation kits.  In short, the Wii U launch was a bit of a nightmare for anyone making Wii U games.  but by Q3 of this year, we should be seeing games that reveal the true, next gen nature of the Wii U. These games should also be shown in the E3 and Pre E3 Nintendo Direct internet broadcasts. 

As far as what the Wii U was "meant" to do, we will have a much better discussion on this in Q3.  Because NSMBU, Wonderful 101, etc. simply don't do the job.  Fun games in their own right, but not what the Wii U was "meant" to do.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 01 May 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#79 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

I was watching a youtube video of IGN playing Resident Evil Revelations on PS3.  And guess what, the game has some performance issues.  A 3DS game ported to PS3 has some performance issues.  Thing about that for a minute.  Obviously the PS3 is far more powerful than the 3DS, and yes they did do some upgrades to the graphics but its still a 3DS game at its core, and it has some framerate issues on PS3.  This just goes to show that a highly optimized game for one console can actually hinder performance on another console.  So the fact that Wii U runs most multi plats better than PS3 on day one with lackluster dev tools, its very likely that we should see some significant improvements over the following 18 months.  Even when the guys broke down the GPU photo, the amount of the GPU they were able to figure out accounted for about the same amount of area that they couldnt figure out.  Nintendo is always about efficiency, and because they are a closed system, they can use custom hardware to handle task that typically would have to be done on the convenstional hardware. 

#80 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

I was watching a youtube video of IGN playing Resident Evil Revelations on PS3.  And guess what, the game has some performance issues.  A 3DS game ported to PS3 has some performance issues.  Thing about that for a minute.  Obviously the PS3 is far more powerful than the 3DS, and yes they did do some upgrades to the graphics but its still a 3DS game at its core, and it has some framerate issues on PS3.  This just goes to show that a highly optimized game for one console can actually hinder performance on another console.  So the fact that Wii U runs most multi plats better than PS3 on day one with lackluster dev tools, its very likely that we should see some significant improvements over the following 18 months.  Even when the guys broke down the GPU photo, the amount of the GPU they were able to figure out accounted for about the same amount of area that they couldnt figure out.  Nintendo is always about efficiency, and because they are a closed system, they can use custom hardware to handle task that typically would have to be done on the convenstional hardware. 

Exactly, just about 50% of the logic is still a mystery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!