Photo

No E3, but chance for a better E3 Nintendo Direct?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

As far as i can tell, no. But MS was part of E3 when Nintendo and Sony revealed Wii and PS3 at E3 in 2006. The same for Sony in 2001 (GC and Xbox), i believe.

The smaller the presence in situations like this, the worse for the one who does things without a bang.

The question would now be how memorable they were when they had no console to show... I honestly don't know and to be honest I would like to have a standard E3 conference as well, but at the same time I don't have the required knowledge to question their decision.

I just thought of that: do you think they may be holding a small conference to make people curious about what's going on, raising the hype level because of the mystery they created? It's a commonly used method to advertise (take viral websites as good examples of it). What do you think?

Posted Image

#62 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I guess I'm reading "media presentation" differently than you are, because my take away was that it would be a livestreamed event, and that they didn't really "cancel" but repurposed their event strategy, rather than one event for both, two events. One to drive home the message they want to make to investors, and one to showcase what they are offering. I'm hoping Nintendo livestreams the media event, only time will tell.

You are reading it wrong. They are planning a time for the media to play the games. No announcements there.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#63 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

You are reading it wrong. They are planning a time for the media to play the games. No announcements there.

That remains to be seen

#64 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

The question would now be how memorable they were when they had no console to show... I honestly don't know and to be honest I would like to have a standard E3 conference as well, but at the same time I don't have the required knowledge to question their decision.

I just thought of that: do you think they may be holding a small conference to make people curious about what's going on, raising the hype level because of the mystery they created? It's a commonly used method to advertise (take viral websites as good examples of it). What do you think?

How memorable, i have no idea, too.

My biggest concern is that they will replace what is a good live show, a show that - for lack of a better word - does pack a punch in presentation, for a more quiet presentation, when other will do the utmost to grab people`s attention.
It`s not like ND can`t be a good show. It has potential to be even better. The question is, can Nintendo do something special in it`s own way? That`s what i want to see.

To be honest, the chances of Nintendo going back in their decision are pretty much dead. But there are other ways to create hype:

For exemple, Nintendo always reveals in one day in advance the shows. But, what if they teased it just with sounds of games they will show - one week in advance? That would hype people and make them curious.

#65 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

I will miss seeing humorous moments at the press conferences. But that's not to say Nintendo Direct conferences can still have a little humor. But the atmosphere isn't the same, and on the spot quotes ( "My body is ready", "I like french food) probably won't happen due to the ND's being pre recorded ( a live ND would be cool). But I think a Nintendo Direct provides less limitations than an E3 conference. Nintendo doesn't have a time limit, so they can show off practically all their games ( Certain games like TW101 were ignored at the conference). So Nintendo can do what they want, and provide more content to show off on the Nintendo Direct.

But I'm still confused if Nintendo's going to make one big Nintendo Direct, or multiple smaller ones over the week before to the end of E3.

#66 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

My biggest concern is that they will replace what is a good live show, a show that - for lack of a better word - does pack a punch in presentation, for a more quiet presentation, when other will do the utmost to grab people`s attention.
It`s not like ND can`t be a good show. It has potential to be even better. The question is, can Nintendo do something special in it`s own way? That`s what i want to see.

To be honest, the chances of Nintendo going back in their decision are pretty much dead. But there are other ways to create hype:

For exemple, Nintendo always reveals in one day in advance the shows. But, what if they teased it just with sounds of games they will show - one week in advance? That would hype people and make them curious.

Yea Ninetndo could do that. Nothing can be compared though to how Miyamoto was introduced in last year's E3.

Posted Image

#67 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

While a big presentation is epic and all, I don't mind it not being there, I just want to here the announcements, you know, the important stuff.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#68 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:54 AM

Yea Ninetndo could do that. Nothing can be compared though to how Miyamoto was introduced in last year's E3.

That was pretty cool! :)

The best part was when he faked throwing the Pikmin doll! Awesome! :D

#69 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

That was pretty cool! :)

The best part was when he faked throwing the Pikmin doll! Awesome! :D

LOL yea or the puns Reggie would pull off at the Wii's reveal!

Posted Image

#70 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Keep in mind that even with a "more quiet" presentation, a la ND, with the right announcements the gaming media will be ALL OVER IT.

#71 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

LOL yea or the puns Reggie would pull off at the Wii's reveal!

I don`t remember that. Got to see it again!

Keep in mind that even with a "more quiet" presentation, a la ND, with the right announcements the gaming media will be ALL OVER IT.

Yes, of course. But most media will be there on MS and Sony`s live show. And a live show is always a live show.

I have been to concerts and nothing beats. It`s a different experience than seeing the band on vídeo.

I do believe that the message will be well passed on and well received. No doubt about it. It`s just that they could do better and decided not to.

Edited by DéliopT, 02 May 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#72 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yes, of course. But most media will be there on MS and Sony`s live show. And a live show is always a live show.

I have been to concerts and nothing beats. It`s a different experience than seeing the band on vídeo.

I do believe that the message will be well passed on and well received. No doubt about it. It`s just that they could do better and decided not to.

They aren't going to be at the same time, and after MS and Sony finish their press conferences, here comes Nintendo with another ND with some megaton announcements.  This would actually give Nintendo more coverage than either, and if Nintendo start rolling out some decent ads DURING e3, so that people searching on Youtube, people watching G4tv, people watching twitch, etc would see Wii U advertisements.

It's all about managing headlines, and keeping PS4 and XBOX headlines farther down the page of big gaming media outlets that provides the most effective marketing.  MS and Sony will have one hour to showcase their wares at e3 to the world, Nintendo will have as much time as they so please.

#73 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

A lot of people consider January's direct better than the past 2 E3's for the big 3. Directs cut out the biased media and show off game after game after game. It's going to be like that with June 11th's direct.

Bam here's 3D Mario, bam here's Smash Bros, bam here's what Retro Studios' has been working on, remember the X trailer we showed 5 months ago? bam here's more with an official name, bam here's a look at Zelda the Wind Waker, bam here's Mario Kart, bam here's the long awaited Bayonetta 2, 

Edited by RogueStatus28, 02 May 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#74 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

They aren't going to be at the same time, and after MS and Sony finish their press conferences, here comes Nintendo with another ND with some megaton announcements.  This would actually give Nintendo more coverage than either, and if Nintendo start rolling out some decent ads DURING e3, so that people searching on Youtube, people watching G4tv, people watching twitch, etc would see Wii U advertisements.

It's all about managing headlines, and keeping PS4 and XBOX headlines farther down the page of big gaming media outlets that provides the most effective marketing.  MS and Sony will have one hour to showcase their wares at e3 to the world, Nintendo will have as much time as they so please.

It will be like coming out of a concert to see a youtube video of that band, so to speak. :D

Nintendo could do that. Actually, now that you mention it, i wonder who`s going to do that big billboard above E3`s entrance? PS4 or X720?

In terms of the gaming media, it`s not like Nintendo can`t compete with MS and Sony. I do believe they will have the best show in years, but they will be going after people`s attention that will really focused on MS and Sony`s new console. Nintendo needs to create some noise and a conference would would be a good idea to draw some of that attention.

After live shows of two new consoles, going to a recorded one man show on a white background is not the best way to do that. That`s all.

In terms of time, i actually think - hope - Nintendo will make one ND for 3DS and another for Wii U. At least now it has all the time in the world to do that.

#75 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

It will be like coming out of a concert to see a youtube video of that band, so to speak. :D

Nintendo could do that. Actually, now that you mention it, i wonder who`s going to do that big billboard above E3`s entrance? PS4 or X720?

In terms of the gaming media, it`s not like Nintendo can`t compete with MS and Sony. I do believe they will have the best show in years, but they will be going after people`s attention that will really focused on MS and Sony`s new console. Nintendo needs to create some noise and a conference would would be a good idea to draw some of that attention.

After live shows of two new consoles, going to a recorded one man show on a white background is not the best way to do that. That`s all.

In terms of time, i actually think - hope - Nintendo will make one ND for 3DS and another for Wii U. At least now it has all the time in the world to do that.

Understandable, however the show itself doesn't mean that MS and Sony will dominate the headlines.  None of this precludes Nintendo from doing something very noisy.

#76 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

"I'm as heavy as a purple pikmin."

While standing on the Wii Balance Board.

Posted Image

#77 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

Understandable, however the show itself doesn't mean that MS and Sony will dominate the headlines.  None of this precludes Nintendo from doing something very noisy.

Yes, exactly. Nothing is set in stone. I do think Nintendo has more than a show to rival MS and Sony`s show. My guess is that they will announce more than they will show for the launch (which will be filled with ports).

With Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, SSB, Retro`s Game, X, Yoshi. It`s bound to be one of Nintendo`s best shows ever!

"I'm as heavy as a purple pikmin."

While standing on the Wii Balance Board.

I think i remember something like that... still funny! :D

Didn`t he say something like that last year. "I feel like a purple Pikmin", i believe.

#78 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

i prefer nintendo direct over e3, beside u cant get e3 in ireland

#79 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Yes, exactly. Nothing is set in stone. I do think Nintendo has more than a show to rival MS and Sony`s show. My guess is that they will announce more than they will show for the launch (which will be filled with ports).

With Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, SSB, Retro`s Game, X, Yoshi. It`s bound to be one of Nintendo`s best shows ever!

I think i remember something like that... still funny! :D

Didn`t he say something like that last year. "I feel like a purple Pikmin", i believe.

I think the only that that would be missing from the ND is the crowd reaction.  If they hold off some of their announcements to do live either on the show floor or during the media screening to generate some applause and whooping, it would be very exciting.  The lineup is going to be exciting anyway, but some buzz won't hurt.

#80 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

I think the only that that would be missing from the ND is the crowd reaction.  If they hold off some of their announcements to do live either on the show floor or during the media screening to generate some applause and whooping, it would be very exciting.  The lineup is going to be exciting anyway, but some buzz won't hurt.

It`s not just the crowd reaction. It`s the whole thing: the feeling of a live presentation, live showing with developers, unscript funny moments, the big screens...

They could do something live aswell - well prepared in advance so people don`t miss it, as most will be busy in lines.

They will have a killer show, i feel it. Of all the years to skip E3 they had to choose this one...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!