Photo

WiiKey U is legit and its in Development!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Nintendo Legends

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Modrobert over at Eurasia has spoken to the xkey team and got them to confirm that the device "WiiKey U" is real and is well into development. This was their response:

Quote:
"Yes, its real - we have now completely reversed the Wii U drive authentification, disk encryption, file system, and everything else needed for this next generation K3y. Stay tuned for updates!"
Wii Key U

Wiikey U is the first and only optical drive emulator that allows you to play all your WiiU games from any USB media!

* Play your WiiU and Wii games from any USB media!
* Compatible with all WiiU models and regionsD
* User friendly intuitive interface
* No soldering required
* Multi-language support
* Supports most popular file systems, including EXT4/3/2, Max OS X, and NTFS
* Powerful embedded Linux system
* High-speed USB2 interface
* Firmware and FPGA fully in-system updatable from USB media
* Recovery mode - it is always possible to recover from a bad flash
* Stylish USB remote with powered USB hub and charger function
* Bulletproof high quality hardware (not manufactured in China!)

[source: wiikey.com]

Looks like the Wii-U is in trouble now from modders. How bad will this product effect the Wii-U's future?

#2 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

I doubt it - if this is real...(really? bulletproof material?) then Nintendo can very easily nix this since it's a device that can be used to allow pirated copies of games to be played.

Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#3 Cyanotic

Cyanotic

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Nintendo will most likely handle it just like Sony and Microsoft. If the system registers as being tampered with or has an unauthorized device hooked up to it then as soon as you go online, your account will be blocked and unable to access the any online feature.

Obviously there is nothing Nintendo can do if you plan on keeping the Wii U offline, but I honestly don't see the Wii U being that big of a source of pirating compared to the 360 and PS3

#4 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Idk how much of an effect it will have, but when I used Homebrew for my Wii it just made me use the console even more. I mainly hacked it for Brawl and loved being able to customize it, knowing that I could tweak it to my liking allowed me to have more fun with the game. It really depends on what the person wants to do with the hacking. I didn't hack the Wii the pirate games, only to change parts of Brawl, which I bought from a Gamestop.

#5 xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Nintendo Legends

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

The admin of x3key forum confirmed its made by their team: http://k3yforums.com...php?f=8&t=11113

#6 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

I'm interested in this can be used to bypass region locks, which is what I use Homebrew for on my Wii

...unless it is really complicated and involves taking the system apart and installing a modchip, etc...

Edited by kokirii, 30 April 2013 - 07:52 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#7 Joshua West

Joshua West

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog, Fire Emblem

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

I think most hackers are fairly benign, and this won't have a tremendous effect on Wiiu success

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

POPULAR

This isn't homebrew, this is piracy.

Piracy will effect sales of software.

The Wii U already has an automatic update solution though, so it'll be nerfed as soon as it's out.

Edited by Nollog, 30 April 2013 - 09:03 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

If anything, the ability to pirate will mean more console sales, but less game sales.

That being said, if the modified consoles get the brick, they'll have to pay Nintendo the no-warranty full price repair fees.

That being said, we can already load games from an HDD on the Wii U, so the WiiKey will be used primarily by pirates.

inb4 region protection: stop lying to yourself, you just want to pirate the games.

Edited by Tom, 30 April 2013 - 11:36 AM.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#10 elvisbeck

elvisbeck

Blooper

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • NNID:elvisdavebeck
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

I would still play the games on the console myself. I am not a fan of piracy.
Hi, I'm Dave. If you wish to add me to your Wii U Friend List, my NNID is elvisdavebeck. Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.YouTube.com/user/elvisbeck., where I play Nintendo games and more.

#11 Zombies8MyDuck

Zombies8MyDuck

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Zombies8MyDuck
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm not a fan of piracy and will still buy all my games! :)

#12 Luca

Luca

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Although I LOVE piracy a lot, I don't want this. Not yet. Of course if it releases, I'm going to get it. But it's far too early in the Wii U stages to have piracy available. Yes it may create more console sales, but once people start pirating all the games and no one buys it, developers will dump the U, leaving it with LESS games.

It'll screw up everything. Hopefully it waits a few years.

#13 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Not sure anyone would want to pirate Wii U games though, they are pretty large...

Wii games were easier to pirate because they are 4GB or less.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#14 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Every system gets hacked at some point, just the way it goes, there are always idiotic dimwits out there, I'm sure Nintendo will fix this.

#15 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

The homebrew side of a wii u modchip is good plus any region unlocking but I wish they wouldn't allow pirate games to be run. This could kill wii u game development when Nintendo needs every game it can get for the wii u.

I have to say the idea of emulators, media players and homebrew games is quite appealing though.

I feel region locking a console almost makes a modchip justified. I don't see why I should be prevented from running a US or japanese wii u game on my console especially if those games aren't released in Europe.

#16 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hm, seems a bit too soon. :/

#17 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Not sure anyone would want to pirate Wii U games though, they are pretty large...

Wii games were easier to pirate because they are 4GB or less.

Plus the thing is still pretty new so there aren't many good games for it out really...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#18 Luca

Luca

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

If no one released pirated game running programs, this would be great. Homebrew and emulators and all, that's great. But pirated games will ruin the Wii U even more, and we'll all have a dead console. But if somehow you could not pirate games, this would be SO amazing. It would up sales of Wii U, and software would still be fine too. 

And @above about the whole Wii games were easy because 4GB, PS3 games are also 20GB+, but some games can be around 5GB if they don't use the whole disc. Also, it's really not as much as you'd think. You just need a 100GB+ external HDD, and you put them all on there. I've downloaded a PS3 ISO before.

#19 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Damn that's piracy.

We're not pirates.
Posted Image

#20 Soul