Photo

Update speed boost to cpu &gpu utter rubbish?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

lol @ Nintendo overclocking ANYTHING

#62 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

It is possible for them to speed it up even more the entire console has been under clocked to maintain a if I recall 30 percent use of fan power. The could up this thing a lot and still have proper cooling

only reason i see for that is ninty wanted to make sure wiiU wont RROD before doing it. and spent the last few months makign sure. 

but since you currently need to put your wiiU in teh oven for a few hours while playing to even chance RROD, it should be good.

#63 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

only reason i see for that is ninty wanted to make sure wiiU wont RROD before doing it. and spent the last few months makign sure. 

but since you currently need to put your wiiU in teh oven for a few hours while playing to even chance RROD, it should be good.

Still overclocking a CPU by 2Ghz when I belive Nintendo surely know what they're doing especially when the GPGPU takes over all the tasks the 360 is used to handling with it's CPU cores. I'm still adamant that overclocking would be foolish unless it was only by 250Mhz or less, 500Mhz at the very most to feel comfortable with before I expect to use a fire extinguisher on it.

With the GPU if it is indeed the eD6570 then they could clock it at the original clock speed of 600Mhz and be fine.

Edited by Penguin101, 13 May 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#64 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Still overclocking a CPU by 2Ghz when I belive Nintendo surely know what they're doing especially when the GPGPU takes over all the tasks the 360 is used to handling with it's CPU cores. I'm still adamant that overclocking would be foolish unless it was only by 250Mhz or less, 500Mhz at the very most to feel comfortable with before I expect to use a fire extinguisher on it.

With the GPU if it is indeed the eD6570 then they could clock it at the original clock speed of 600Mhz and be fine.

The GPU isn't the E6760 (what it was actually rumored to be based on, not the D6750) it simply uses the shaders from it, everything else is custom logic.

#65 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

The GPU isn't the E6760 (what it was actually rumored to be based on, not the D6750) it simply uses the shaders from it, everything else is custom logic.

So it's not as awesome as that one then? :(

Or is it more awesome?

Or is it unknown and really frustrating for everyone as no-one knows what they're actually able to do with it and it's trial and error because Nintendo wont give away the specs to developers  not within the Nintendo loops?

Thought the closest in architecture was the e6760 as it's 600Mhz and supports DX11 equivalent visual effects AND runs at a low power draw?

Edited by Penguin101, 13 May 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#66 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

It's likely more awesome than the E6760.

#67 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Or is it more awesome?

Or is it unknown and really frustrating for everyone as no-one knows what they're actually able to do with it and it's trial and error because Nintendo wont give away the specs to developers  not within the Nintendo loops?

Thought the closest in architecture was the e6760 as it's 600Mhz and supports DX11 equivalent visual effects AND runs at a low power draw?

No one knows for sure just yet.  We are really at the point where results will have to speak for the hardware.  Basically, if Nintendo's top games come out looking no better than the top 360/PS3 games, then the GPU is less impressive than the e6760, but if the first party games come out looking quite a bit more impressive than 360/PS3 games, then we will know that the GPU is more capable, but its propriety, and developers have some things to learn. 

#68 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Or is it more awesome?

Or is it unknown and really frustrating for everyone as no-one knows what they're actually able to do with it and it's trial and error because Nintendo wont give away the specs to developers not within the Nintendo loops?

Thought the closest in architecture was the e6760 as it's 600Mhz and supports DX11 equivalent visual effects AND runs at a low power draw?

Didn't you hear? Wii U is doomed.

jk No one knows exactly.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#69 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

It's likely more awesome than the E6760.

It is indeed

Or is it more awesome?

The design is definitely based on it, but most of the logic has been replaced with custom logic.

Nintendo have been very supportive of third party developers recently.  It is true that before and at launch there was little support and the tools were very immature, that has since changed.

#70 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

It is indeed

The design is definitely based on it, but most of the logic has been replaced with custom logic.

Nintendo have been very supportive of third party developers recently.  It is true that before and at launch there was little support and the tools were very immature, that has since changed.

The problem with that is that some developers werent actually developing games for Wii U, but only doing some testing on the dev kits.  This has made a very poor impression for many developers.  Hopefully some of them that have written it off will take another look with the updated tools and info. 

#71 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

The problem with that is that some developers werent actually developing games for Wii U, but only doing some testing on the dev kits. This has made a very poor impression for many developers. Hopefully some of them that have written it off will take another look with the updated tools and info.

I hope so too.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#72 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

The only problem is, it would still actually raise heat and power consumption, probably. Also, the CPU seems to be designed for performance, not clock speed. So it's unlikely that the clock speed was meant to be very high.

There are always possibilities of things, but like 3Dude said, 3.2GHz seems unlikely.

The wii u already used a tiny amount of power, and it's cooling systems always seemed incredibly over-expectant of the wii u's heat, mine's never been hot to touch, it's actually always cold.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#73 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

The problem with that is that some developers werent actually developing games for Wii U, but only doing some testing on the dev kits.  This has made a very poor impression for many developers.  Hopefully some of them that have written it off will take another look with the updated tools and info. 

Agreed.  The developers of The Witness did, and changed from writing off the Wii U, to saying it could release on Wii U once the timed exclusivity ended with Sony.

#74 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Some points I would raise are;

It's not overclocking if the system was designed to have flexibility with regard mhz.

Why set the cpu/gpu high anyway if most of the time its not needed. Why not have a low default speed and only increase speed when needed. This makes the console more reliable and saves power. Good engineering.

The gpu creates most of the heat in a modern console. It dwarfs the cpu in size and so although run at a slower speed generates most of the heat. It's easier to be flexible with cpu speed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!