YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Courtesy of the NeoGAF NPD thread.

The new console sold under 2,000 units last month.

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=627656

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

isn't that worse than Psv?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yes. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#4 Ninty64X

Ninty64X

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Fandom:
    MST3K, Animation, Metal Gear, OddWorld

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Things aren't looking too good for the ouya. Feel kinda bad for it, so many people did the kickstarter and supported it, than it has poor sales when it's released.  :(

On the hunt for her dad's killer, she learns she needs to step up her game. It's time to unleash some superpowers. - Netflix's amazing Kill La Kill description

#5 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

Wow now that is a hard thing to swallow, kinda feel bad for them.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

What did they expect?

The mobile taking over gaming narrative is a manufactured myth.

Dedicated gaming and mobile gaming are seperate audiences, two seperate circles with an overlap, not a pie chart.

Tablets/mobile arent taking over the casual videogamers, its taking over the casual pc users. It has all the convenient features of a pc, on the go, and in a freindly easy to use package. Namely, the internet.

And yes, that includes games. But no, it really isnt affecting dedicated gaming.

What is the most popular video game in the world, from the 80's, to current day? Played by more users than any game in history? No, not mario, no, not angry birds, no, not call of duty.

Windows Solitaire. People own smart phones not to buy games for them, but because they are a necessity. And by a lesser extension, tablets too. Its simply a nice convenience that they also have an abundance of time wasters to play when in line, or otherwise momentarily unocupied.

Of COURSE if you already own it as a necessary communocation device you will try some free or impulse buy range games while you are bored.

But, its not the same reason, or need that is fulfilled by dedicated gaming. Most These people, wouldnt play games at all if those apps were only available on dedicated gaming systems instead of on their necessary communication device.

As demomstrated by ouya.

That 'golden goose' the media manufactured is a fake.

The mobile crowd arent video gamers. They just like games when they are bored. Theyd be just as happy playing checkers or scrabble if it was a social norm.

Would you?

I wouldnt. Thered be a gaping void in my soul reality just couldnt fulfill.

I crave adventure, I thirst for glory, civilizations to discover, people to save.

We just arent the same just because we play 'videogames'.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Despite the low price, the Ouya is just not compelling enough for me. The gaming experiences it offers I can easily get on my smartphone and/or PC. The rest is up to my gaming consoles.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#8 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Not that surprising. I don't think many retailers carry it, and it's not advertised so barely anyone not interested in gaming knows about it. I've heard reports that the console and controller have a cheap build quality, and it just doesn't have that many games to justify the purchase (as cheap as it is). It stinks, since the Ouya looks like a decent console. And there's about three or four games I want to get for it. Maybe if it got bigger support, and a better controller build quality I'd think about getting it.

#9 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

This thing was born to fail.
No sig.

#10 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Courtesy of the NeoGAF NPD thread.[/size]The new console sold under 2,000 units last month.[/size]

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=627656

This topic is misleading and has people believe that there aren't many Ouyas. Even if it did sell 2000 units, that wouldn't count all the kickstarter units given out. Popular Ouya games are averaging 8000 downloads as can be seen by this thread: http://ouyaforum.com...velopers/page10

Many are saying there are at least 20,000 Ouyas in existence.

Edited by Amnesia, 18 July 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

This topic is misleading and has people believe that there aren't many Ouyas. Even if it did sell 2000 units, that wouldn't count all the kickstarter units given out. Popular Ouya games are averaging 8000 downloads as can be seen by this thread: http://ouyaforum.com...velopers/page10

Thats also a bit misleading isnt?

Those are demo downloads/ftp versions, not purchases. All the purchases ive seen browsing through there have been in the hundreds, and strangely, apparantly one guy found for some reason only 33% of 8,009 downloaders had actually played the demo at the time of the post.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

Thats also a bit misleading isnt?
Those are demo downloads/ftp versions, not purchases. All the purchases ive seen browsing through there have been in the hundreds, and strangely, apparantly one guy found for some reason only 33% of 8,009 downloaders had actually played the demo at the time of the post.

Check out these last 3 posts: http://www.606studio...s-Console/page5

It isn't etched in stone that I'm right, but I haven't even tapped the surface on information and accounts of information to draw from. And Zinix, no offense, is going by a simple forum post, that probably only even accounted for 5-6 days of sales, since the Ouya released on June 25.

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by akbarbitcoins
"On the official dev forums , Mighty Rabbit
said that so far they have sold 4 copies of
Saturday Morning RPG , a game that was in
the Featured category at launch ."

'That 's pretty Horrible sales . Specially cause that
game is solid console game and not mobile
port. I realy hope ppl will buy console games
developed for Ouya and not cheap ports from
Google store .'

ftp Time wasters are being downloaded, real games are being ignored... Were just not the same audience.

Npd officially reported around 2000 consoles sold.

Ouya ceo fired back stating and i quote, 'Nobody cares about npd'

He claimed npd didnt count the kickstarter consoles, digital retailers etc..... and its true...

But, the sames true for every other console.....

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Phanto

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I plan to buy one, but I don't have the cash right now. I definitely want to support it. I'm hoping that sales take off in a few months, or I'll be sad.

#15 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Retail sales suck but you can't forget OUYA does have a base of over 50,000 probably closer to 60,000 consoles in users hands. Over 46,000 pledged $99 to receive a console/controller and that doesn't count the higher pledges, and pre-orders before going retail.

Retail sales suck, and it probably sold more online then in physical retail stores as it is hard to come by and only around in select stores/select locations. I backed the project and have 4 controllers, there are some fun games to play on it, and using it as a media streaming box works well too.

1040736_10151562500756588_1385689953_o.j

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#16 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

What? The NPD numbers are legit.  I read somewhere that people were given Ouyas for free for backing it, so maybe that's where those 8,000 downloads came from. The NPD numbers are accurate and never been wrong. 

#17 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

So I suppose it's safe to say that the few people that wanted this console seem to have gotten it.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#18 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

People accept lower performance on mobile devices because the tradeoffs to make a device portable is understood.  People accept the tradeoff of performance vs. convenience.

BUT the Ouya is a dedicated home console, however tiny. It doesn't have a form factor that allows it to be the controller.  It cannot fit in your pocket or even cramped backpack.  It doesn't include a screen, etc.

It is a box. 

Boxes are meant to sit in one place.   when that is the case, it makes zero sense to give it the poor performance tradeoff because it doesn't offer anything in return.  It doesn't provide portability or convenience.  It is simply at that point... a woefully underpowered console.

Like ridiculously underpowered.

The Ouya literally has no reason to exist.

It adds nothing to the home console experience while subtracting A LOT.

basically, take an underpowered mobile phone that was not the greatest for gaming to begin with, upsize it, lose the screen, lose the portability, seperated the controls, and throw it in the bullpen with the PS4, Wii U, and Xbox One. 

LOL

It was a foolish endeavor in a market sense, though neat in the sense that entrepreneurial spirit is still alive and well. 

Hopefully those who bought it enjoy mobile phone games on the big screen.  It's just too bad that after all those concessions were made in performance that the system can't even play many of the games the phones and tablets can.

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

So I suppose it's safe to say that the few people that wanted this console seem to have gotten it.

Its going to fail commercially because team ouya failed to figure out the difference between people who game as a hobby, and people who will play mobile games to waste time. You cant tunr that audience into gamers, they literally think its a waste of time, thats what they use it for.

However what you said.... May just be the most important thing about the ouya.

I think a very large chunk of that ouya install base are people who intend to develop on the machine. I dont think any system in history has a ratio of makers to players close to what the ouya has

I see a future for this system long after its failed to establish itself commercially.

Its a cheap easy system to develop for, with a really freindly middlware engine available on the cheap, plenty, PLENTY powerful enough for individuals or small groups to make all kinds of unique wonderful projects.

They still make games for the atari 2600. I see it being a similar situation, but much much better.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

So amazing! Wii U needs to catch up! Rite?
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!