Photo

Are Devs "Lazy" Or Is The Wii U Difficult To Develop For?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'm a gamer, not a Tech Guy and to be honest, I cant tell how powerful or weak the Wii U is compared to last and next generation consoles.  People get into such technical terms that I have no idea of what they are talking about.  

One thing is for sure, I am enjoying my Wii U immensely and I bought it for 1st party games like Mario, Zelda, and Pikmin.  One other thing is for sure ... I will be a late adopter to the PS4, once the price drops and they come out with a slim model.  And yet, I am very interested in knowing where people with tech knowledge feel the Wii U stands in terms of it being easy or difficult to develop for and in terms of its power.

Not being a Tech Guy, I just have this very gut feeling that the Wii U is difficult to program for, that perhaps its old school in a way, and that the other, next generation systems, are far easier for devs to develop for.  I also have this feeling that 3 parties, because of this, just don't want to be bothered developing for the Wii U because its such a pain in the arse to develop for, so they won't do it unless they have to.   The one thing that would make them feel they had to is if the Wii U was a success in terms of units sold.

There is also the question of it being powerful enough for 3rd parties to easily port the games they make for the other next gen consoles to the Wii U.  

So in responding to this post I ask that the techies keep it light and tell me what you think without getting too technical and let me know your opinions to these two basic questions on power and ease of development.

I would also like people to say what they think the systems power is compared to last generation (Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3) in terms of "The Wii U is 4x more powerful than the Wii was ... etc) and also compared to this generation (Xbox One & PS4)

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#2 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

probably a combanation of both but I'm not a tech guy either so...

#3 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

this year is going to tell us all we need to know. watchdogs, splinter cell, ac4, cod:ghost, if they fail to run better on Wii U than 360 than its fair to say whether its more capable or not developers dont care and its not worth it to them. at this point i dont care(outside of nba2k14) just give me bayo2, mk8, x, and other goodies im sure they have planned for next year. its confirmed now(as it should have been years ago) dont buy a DAMN nintendo console for 3rd party support.

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Its not lazy, the teams that handle ports are the bottom of the barrel. They typically have the least/no experience which is why they dont actually make games, but simply port games other people make.

So not only do they not have the experience or knowledge to make use of something different than what they are used too, they have no idea what makes the engine they are porting really tick and cant dive deep into it for of screwing it up.

Take a look at the who said what. 99.99% of the time the scenario goes like this:

Wii u hard/weak: Comment made from/derived from port team that only knows how to use middleware engines and tools provided to them.

Wii u actually pretty powerful: experienced devs known to make their own engines/tools.

But it doesnt really matter any more. Screens of pikmin 3 are flooding miiverse, the cats out of the bag. Anyone with eyes is starting to notice the weak narrative about the wii u is full of crap.

Now im just waiting for big name western 3rd parties to once again, show everybody why I dont buy them on Nintendo systems. They release second rate crap for nintendo systems. And I dont buy crap.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 Tim

Tim

Hylian

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Fandom:
    Funky Kong, Link, Mario Kart

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

Its not lazy, the teams that handle ports are the bottom of the barrel. They typically have the least/no experience which is why they dont actually make games, but simply port games other people make.

So not only do they not have the experience or knowledge to make use of something different than what they are used too, they have no idea what makes the engine they are porting really tick and cant dive deep into it for of screwing it up.

Take a look at the who said what. 99.99% of the time the scenario goes like this:

Wii u hard/weak: Comment made from/derived from port team that only knows how to use middleware engines and tools provided to them.

Wii u actually pretty powerful: experienced devs known to make their own engines/tools.

But it doesnt really matter any more. Screens of pikmin 3 are flooding miiverse, the cats out of the bag. Anyone with eyes is starting to notice the weak narrative about the wii u is full of crap.

Now im just waiting for big name western 3rd parties to once again, show everybody why I dont buy them on Nintendo systems. They release second rate crap for nintendo systems. And I dont buy crap.

Well. That was disheartening. Not false. Just disheartening.

28rl4di.png

I think everyone who has a signature picture should shrink it a little. Easier on the eyes.

The way I see it, flying is simple.  You just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

#6 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

They're just biased 

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#7 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

I don't think that's it's hard to program but more of something new.

It's. Brand new code , system and hardware. Its going to take some devs some time to get use to the code.

Main reason why ps3 games at release looks crappy compare to ps3 games release now.

Also some 3rd party devs are on the fence about the Wii u so there not putting there heart into it. Most just doing ports and leaving out stuff from the other systems.

But imo the Wii u should be able to get every game that comes out on ps3 or Xbox 360 from now on. It has more power them those system so a port isn't to much but it still cones back to the coding.

Once the ps4 and x1 are put we will see how the devs take to them vs the Wii u.

I've seen a 60min game play video of pikmin 3 and that thing looks great. So the system can put out it's just about knowing how to work it.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#8 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

It's more of a cost to develop/money that can be made scenario most of the time. Third party games generally don't sell well on Nintendo systems.

But I will admit that more developers than I can count are acting very, very differently just because it's a Nintendo console.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#9 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Is it a fact that the Wii U is more powerful than the 360 or PS3?

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#10 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

I think for these big shot devs the issues lies in profiting. Developing a game for the Wii U is obviously going to be different than developing for the PS3/360 but that extra effort might also require more human resources and it's also possibly more costly. Now, do they want to shell out extra $$$ (even if it's a small amount considering all their wealth) for a console that's selling poorly? No. They rather invest in other, more successful, consoles that'll give them more sales, therefore more profit.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#11 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

I believe it is. Let's take a look at the 360 and the Wii U for a second. The 360 has only 0.5 GB RAM. The Wii U has 2 GB. The GPU which produces graphics is likely 30-50% more powerful for the Wii U. It's hard to say how much more powerful the CPU is, someone like 3Dude will probably tell you it's more powerful. Either way, it should be easier to develop a new game for, I think... not just port one over.

#12 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Its a mixed bag, the install base isn't big enough to make a profit unless there is a price drop, and you see next gen games being developed for Xbox One & Playstation 4, but not the wii u because its weak. I mean look at the Wii U 3rd party games, its up to par with Xbox 360 & PS3, no where near as powerful or graphical as the Ps4, I know Xbox One gets alot of flame and hate but the power and ram isn't ignored.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#13 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

*Facepalm* 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#14 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

a lot of it seems like lazy devs, though because developers have let production become so complex it's turned counter-intuitive. Furthermore, it seems like ALL devs just want every system to be the same, thinking you can just press a button and get the exact same result every time. It doesn't work that way.

#15 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

this thread... *smh*

Signature_Fox.png

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

games nowadays are getting super cpu heavy.
Nintendo should have known this.

I'd say it's a mix, but it's not as powerful as the new girls in town.
Shouldn't matter much, to those of us who survived the last 10 years or more.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

this year is going to tell us all we need to know. watchdogs, splinter cell, ac4, cod:ghost, if they fail to run better on Wii U than 360 than its fair to say whether its more capable or not developers dont care and its not worth it to them. at this point i dont care(outside of nba2k14) just give me bayo2, mk8, x, and other goodies im sure they have planned for next year. its confirmed now(as it should have been years ago) dont buy a DAMN nintendo console for 3rd party support.

The Wii U versions will not run better than the previous gen versions. Not because it can't outperform them, but because Ubisoft and Activision will put out cheap, quick ports that do not need to sell many copies to make money. I will be very surprised if they do run better at all.

Bring the noise.

#18 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

games nowadays are getting super cpu heavy.
Nintendo should have known this.

I'd say it's a mix, but it's not as powerful as the new girls in town.
Shouldn't matter much, to those of us who survived the last 10 years or more.

err what? Surely you meant to say GPU....

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#19 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

err what? Surely you meant to say GPU....

cpu, it's what does the numbers.

An openworld where a dog pissing on a tree makes the ground wetter required a large amount of processing, psychics etc.
If you try to make a world more "real", you'll have to do massive amounts of calculations, which is where the cpu excels.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#20 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

And no one cares to speculate the power of the Wii U in terms of its blank number of times more powerful than the Wii and blank number of times less powerful than Xbox One \ PS4?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!