Photo

Are Devs "Lazy" Or Is The Wii U Difficult To Develop For?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Does it actually look like that in-game though or does photo mode apply post processing?

I have taken screen shots from Xbox 360 games that look much better than in-game as they turn on all the bells a whistles to render that one shot. I can't remember which game it was but I recall one game it took something like 10 seconds to render the photo mode shot before saving it. Completely misleading if you are trying to show off what the game looks like.

Still, I don't there is any doubt that the Wii U GPU is capable of far nicer shaders and lighting than PS360 ever could. Those things have come a long way since the hardware in those consoles.

I actually think the heavily customized GPU is what's the problem with Wii U and how to get tje most out of it. I would think using cache memory on CPU cores and Edram shouldn't be hard for the average developers as that's kind of the set up 360 had. Its just the way Nintendo designed everything to work together. As much as we have heard the CPU sucking( froma fanboyish developers that had an early dev kits) you haven't heard any others complaining. Even the developers of NFSMWU said it was the GPU they had problems with. Just as Nintendo has said the CPU is straight forward and doesn't have any weird habits(bottlenecks). I really hope developers prove this year with 3rd party multiplats that Wii U is next gen and better than ps360 so we can put that argument to rest. I didn't buy a Wii U expecting it to be on par with sony and microsoft next systems but from what I have seen and understand there isn't a game "3rd party games" that developers shouldn't be able to port to Wii U "IF" they wanted to. These games have massive budgets as it is. I'm ok as a Wii U owner not getting every multiplat as they are more of the same FPS anyway.

#62 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Does it actually look like that in-game though or does photo mode apply post processing?

I have taken screen shots from Xbox 360 games that look much better than in-game as they turn on all the bells a whistles to render that one shot.  I can't remember which game it was but I recall one game it took something like 10 seconds to render the photo mode shot before saving it.  Completely misleading if you are trying to show off what the game looks like.

Still, I don't there is any doubt that the Wii U GPU is capable of far nicer shaders and lighting than PS360 ever could.  Those things have come a long way since the hardware in those consoles.

I think that's just how it looks. I've seen other photo mode shots that are less impressive, but that's because of the bad ground textures.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#63 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

I have taken screen shots from Xbox 360 games that look much better than in-game as they turn on all the bells a whistles to render that one shot.  I can't remember which game it was but I recall one game it took something like 10 seconds to render the photo mode shot before saving it.  Completely misleading if you are trying to show off what the game looks like.

Still, I don't there is any doubt that the Wii U GPU is capable of far nicer shaders and lighting than PS360 ever could.  Those things have come a long way since the hardware in those consoles.

Yes, this is just how it looks. Photo mode just gives a first person view to take snapshots with. Its instant and No effects are added, unfortunately, as not all assets are of such nice quality up close.

Pikmin 3 is a star example of how nintendo was woefully understaffed to provide enough asset content for a machine as powerful as wii u.

Areas objects and textures that had the time and staff dedicated stand head and shoulders beyond other assets that didnt.... Even ep close in fps mode. Twice as many human resources indeed.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#64 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Interesting revelations. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#65 cupoftea

cupoftea

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

PROBLEMS WITH WII U

IF YOU BELIVE THAT YOU ALSO BELIEVE PAPER WITH PICTURES ON IT IS WEALTH LOL stop being a brain washed baby its ANTI NINTENDOISM 100% FACT

THE WIIU HARDWARE blar blar blar SHUT THE F**K UP ACT LIKE ADULT

cell did that stop MR developer NOOOOOOOOOOO

emotion engine did that stop MR developer NOOOOOOO

gsunit ps2 did that stop the developer NOOOOOOO

XBOX 360 INLINE LONG STAGE DUMB CPU DID THAT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ps3 non edram x360 with edram did that stop the developers NOOOOOOOOOOO

so now everythings a wiiu issue wenn the thing is darn easyto code WAKE UP :rolleyes: :rolleyes: SMELL COFFEE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: GET HEAD OUT OF CORNFLAKES :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ITS INDUSTRY BS :)

#66 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

PROBLEMS WITH WII U

IF YOU BELIVE THAT YOU ALSO BELIEVE PAPER WITH PICTURES ON IT IS WEALTH LOL stop being a brain washed baby its ANTI NINTENDOISM 100% FACT

so now everythings a wiiu issue wenn the thing is darn easyto code WAKE UP :rolleyes: :rolleyes: SMELL COFFEE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: GET HEAD OUT OF CORNFLAKES :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

could you stop "yelling" in every post?

#67 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

PROBLEMS WITH WII U

Well it is what it is and its sad. My problem is "NO ONE" is standing up for nintendo or this console I mean big third party unless you calling platnium that. Everyone is on the fence and their comments make it seem like they arew forced to support it just in case things turn into a 3ds situation and Wii U catches fire and sells like hot cakes.

#68 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

Well it is what it is and its sad. My problem is "NO ONE" is standing up for nintendo or this console I mean big third party unless you calling platnium that. Everyone is on the fence and their comments make it seem like they arew forced to support it just in case things turn into a 3ds situation and Wii U catches fire and sells like hot cakes.

people see nintendo published and then instantly  think they are lying.

#69 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Yes, this is just how it looks. Photo mode just gives a first person view to take snapshots with. Its instant and No effects are added, unfortunately, as not all assets are of such nice quality up close.

Pikmin 3 is a star example of how nintendo was woefully understaffed to provide enough asset content for a machine as powerful as wii u.

Areas objects and textures that had the time and staff dedicated stand head and shoulders beyond other assets that didnt.... Even ep close in fps mode. Twice as many human resources indeed.

Then what's with the dodgy frame rate in fps mode?

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#70 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

Are some of you already actually playing the game?  The Japanese release?

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#71 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

Are some of you already actually playing the game?  The Japanese release?

It is out in Europe too. NOA hates July.

#72 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Then what's with the dodgy frame rate in fps mode?

You are the only person ive ever seen mention this.

The obvious answer would be taking a game deseigned to be viewed from above as an rts and changing the camera t 1st person. Thats a huge change in overhead, from z buffering to to changing and then executing every single manner of culling.

Also, i dont know, since i havent been able to play it yet, but if pikmin 3 uses the gamepad as the 'camera', then the wii u is also rendering, texturing, shading, lighting etc the entire scene twice from 2 completely different viewpoints, i would assume it would switch from 60fps on one screen to 30fps on 2 screens. Which, if is the case, would be an increase in workload so painfully obvious, that I would absolutely have to raise an eyebrow to such an obtuse question.

Although, as I stated earlier, you are the only person who ive ever seen mention this, even after doing extensive google searches on 'pikmin 3 fps'/camera mode fps/fps dop etc.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#73 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

You are the only person ive ever seen mention this.

The obvious answer would be taking a game deseigned to be viewed from above as an rts and changing the camera t 1st person. Thats a huge change in overhead, from z buffering to to changing and then executing every single manner of culling.

Also, i dont know, since i havent been able to play it yet, but if pikmin 3 uses the gamepad as the 'camera', then the wii u is also rendering, texturing, shading, lighting etc the entire scene twice from 2 completely different viewpoints, i would assume it would switch from 60fps on one screen to 30fps on 2 screens. Which, if is the case, would be an increase in workload so painfully obvious, that I would absolutely have to raise an eyebrow to such an obtuse question.

Although, as I stated earlier, you are the only person who ive ever seen mention this, even after doing extensive google searches on 'pikmin 3 fps'/camera mode fps/fps dop etc.

I already have the game in my hands and as far as I can tell the game is beautiful. Far from a technical marvel, but beautiful. I wouldn't expect less from Nintendo.

No, when switching in to fps mode the two screens show the exact same image as I recall. I haven't use the feature that much, but I can tell that while far from unplayable, the fps does have sudden drops.

Edited by Arkhandar, 27 July 2013 - 01:56 PM.

Posted Image

#74 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

I already have the game in my hands and as far as I can tell the game is beautiful. Far from a technical marvel, but beautiful. I wouldn't expect less from Nintendo.

No, when switching in to fps mode the two screens show the exact same image as I recall. I haven't use the feature that much, but I can tell that while far from unplayable, the fps does have sudden drops.

Thanks for the information, actual information on how the control mechanics of photo mode worked were surprisingly hard to dig up. And a vid of it was not able to be found by me.

That being said, in light of the clarified information you provided, your choice of responding to the conversation you did, with the statement you made deosnt really make sense.

Im not sure you were following what exactly was being said.

Does the photo mode of pikmin 3 change the graphics so drastically that it looks like a different game or cg?

Thats the subject you responded to, and your response 'why does the fps go wonky then?' Suggests you believed the photo mode in pikmin 3 was not realtime, and nintendo added effects and lighting/shading/textures etc not in the actual game, that the wii u wasnt powerful enough to render in real time like the rest of the game.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#75 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the information, actual information on how the control mechanics of photo mode worked were surprisingly hard to dig up. And a vid of it was not able to be found by me.

That being said, in light of the clarified information you provided, your choice of responding to the conversation you did, with the statement you made deosnt really make sense.

Im not sure you were following what exactly was being said.

Does the photo mode of pikmin 3 change the graphics so drastically that it looks like a different game or cg?

Thats the subject you responded to, and your response 'why does the fps go wonky then?' Suggests you believed the photo mode in pikmin 3 was not realtime, and nintendo added effects and lighting/shading/textures etc not in the actual game, that the wii u wasnt powerful enough to render in real time like the rest of the game.

What? I'm sorry if I was misunderstood. I'm not impressed by the fps mode at all.

And it is real time, I never questioned that (unlike most of the PS4/Xbox One E3 demos, but that's another story).

What I wanted to say is that those screenshots, while beautiful (I'm talking about design here), are very far from being a technical marvel. That's why I was so shocked to see fps drops in that mode.

Edited by Arkhandar, 27 July 2013 - 05:57 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!