Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Right in time for the release of GTA5... Time for some bad press...

"According to WAFB, the child told police that he’d accidentally shot Smothers while playing with the gun. However, after an autopsy and a more extensive investigation on Friday, the sheriff’s office now believes that the eight-year-old boy shot Marie Smothers on purpose in the back of the head while she was watching television."

"An official statement from the sheriff’s office said that they didn’t know the motive for the boy shooting the grandmother. However “investigators have learned that the juvenile suspect was playing a video game on the Play Station III Grand Theft Auto IV, a realistic game that has been associated with encouraging violence and awards points to players for killing people, just minutes before the homicide occurred.”

http://www.inquisitr...yVtjbjULvmKb.99

Who the Wii gets GTA for a an eight year old? I don't know what to make of this..

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time

Spiny

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

But of course, the game will get the blame instead of the parents.

Why was the gun even accessible to an eight year old?

#3 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

POPULAR

No. 1: Why was this kid playing GTA?

No. 2: Why was there a gun within reach of this kid?

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

I have to agree with Blake. GTA I beieve is rated T for teen by the ESRB. A child that's still growing up really shouldn't be playing it.

And guns should always be kept secure in the hands of people thained in the use and storage of them.

Edited by grahamf, 25 August 2013 - 08:30 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 Nintyfan

Nintyfan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Fandom:
    Many things.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

GTA IV is rated M.

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

Even soldiers. I believe homocidal video games can cause them to more likely get ptsd or not recognize war from civilization.

Please stop, I know this is not your intention, and I know its not on purpose, but this is incredibly offensive.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Yeah I didn't really think that through, I'm sorry.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#8 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

POPULAR

As tragic as this is, I still can't help but feel mad at the media for, again, blaming a game despite some very obvious things being ignored here.

1. You gave an 8 year old child GTA4

2. You had a gun within reach of an 8 year old child

3. Most 8 year old children HAVE NEXT TO NO CONCEPT OF LIFE OR DEATH

I feel for the family, but this news story was probably cherry-picked from thousands of homicides (accidental or not) simply because there was a violent video game found in the house.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#9 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

holy rainbow

bb0.gif

#10 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

The media is of course going to blame video games again. The idiot who purchased the kid this game should be slapped.

#11 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

In the time when I was 8 years old pretty much everyone around me was playing GTA (the rate of piracy in my country was really high and it still is) and I wasn't an exception. I guess it depends on the the person. His mental condition was probably triggered by him playing GTA but we can't blame it all on the game. There must have been something else in his mind that led to this deed.

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#12 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

I played GTA san adreas when i was 8 at my cousins. I didn't kill anyone. It all depends on how the kids were raised.

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

Yeah I didn't really think that through, I'm sorry.

No problem.

I really dont think this has anything to do with gta, or videogames, sadly, children have been accidentally shooting themselves or others since the beginning of fire arms.

Even without all the media attention on fire arms, children have found them fascinating. Thats why there have been toy guns for hundreds of years.

The problem of course is guns are not toys. Children know this, of course, its part of the allure. Its, mature, grown up, 'forbidden'. Even if they know its not toy, children will inevitably play with it like a toy, because they are children.

While the child was likely imitating the 'cool' poses he saw in videogames, comic books, movies, and other media, thats no different mentally than a child pretending to defend your house from bandits with your trusty red ryder bb gun. Physically however, instead of running the risk of 'shooting your eye out' Youll blow a head off.

Pretending to be a 'cool guy with a gun', and actually killing someone are two entirely different things, fake media depictions of violence can not desensitize a normal properly mentally functioning human being, child or not, to the act of actually, willfully, purposefully killing someone.

Even months and years of military training cant prepare an individual for the real thing. Nobody ever really knows how a slick sleeve is going to perform for the first time during actual combat, regaurdless of how well they perform during training, paintballs, sim rounds, fake explosions, rockets on ziplines, burning cars, actors with fake injuries, Zussman village was built by universal studios to simulate the environment of real combat. It is the closest you can get to the real thing, far closer than any videogame or movie depiction. And its nowhere near the real thing. It wont really help a soldier overcome the first exposure to real combat, no matter how many times they go through the gauntlet. Actually killing a human being is a life changing event that no amount of training can really prepare an individual for.

The only thing that can desensitize someone to real violence is constant and continued exposure to real violence.

This child was just pretending, as children have pretended since long before videogames, with capguns, bb guns, sticks... He had no idea the weapon would actually fire.

If the police actually do suspect the child was so desensitized to violence that he executed his grandmother on purpose, they should look to the activities of the parents, what has that 8 year old observed his parents doing, or test for mental abberations. Only by being repeatedly exposed to real violence, or not mentally functioning properly can lead down that path. Even 8 year old children, while they dont understand many of the concepts adults do, will demonstrate a pronounced difference in the form of a trauma when confronted in real life with things that dont bother them in tv or games.

But particularly the parents since they left a loaded gun within reach of an 8 year old.

Playstations dont hand kids guns and bullets.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

My mom comes from the Planet "I'm the parent, I don't care what my child thinks, if I don't like it, sucks for him!"

But of course, the game will get the blame instead of the parents.

Why was the gun even accessible to an eight year old?

And that's my point.

Thus kid can't buy the game or a gun on his own.

So it's the parents fault and nothing else.

If your kid is drinking beer it's not the beer fault or tv ads for beer it's your faukt.

This just makes me so sick that they blame the games for all this but yet there rated and rules in play to make sure they can't buy it.

I know they even ban Gta in some placed due to crap like this.

I truly wish they stop and take the blame for themself.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#15 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

This. The story makes no sense.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#16 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Playing GTA IV when he's 8? I guess that's bad.

But why the hell does he have access to a gun? and why did he shoot his grandmother with it?

#17 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

I have to agree with Blake. GTA I beieve is rated T for teen by the ESRB. A child that's still growing up really shouldn't be playing it.

And guns should always be kept secure in the hands of people thained in the use and storage of them.

Actually, Grand Theft Auto IV  is rated M (the equivalent of R), which is even worse for a kid to have. But really, what kind of failure of a parent/guardian let's their kid around a actual gun? 

#18 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

I played GTA when I was 8, but very rarely whenever I went over a friends house, because my mom's always had a strict No GTA policy, which I hate now that I'm older

But COME ON WHY THE F**K DOES AN EIGHT YEAR OLD HAVE A GUN!!!!
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#19 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

I was allowed to play GTA when I was 8 and I never shot anyone in my life. Heck, I'm scared of guns myself. 

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#20 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

I played gta when I was a kid saw R rated films and experience a lot of though crap when I was a kid so yeah the kid probably just had a weak mind and the parents were dumb***es for letting a gun near him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!