• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

Question for those that played the original and have this version. How do you do the "fast sailing" thing? I know that was one of the highlighted features and I don't think I'm doing it right because it takes me forever to get to where I'm going.

Bend down and kiss my converses!

You have to find the speed sail. Then, you press a for normal, and a again for speed sail.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#62 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

Question for those that played the original and have this version. How do you do the "fast sailing" thing? I know that was one of the highlighted features and I don't think I'm doing it right because it takes me forever to get to where I'm going.

It is a random item in the Windfall Island auction.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#63 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

I've wondered this myself....  Not with the death threats, but I just don't see how Sonic & All Stars Transformed is rated so much lower than Need for Speed.  Don't get me wrong, I like NFS but not nearly as much as I like Sonic.....

I'm wondering about this. I heard that one reviewer that gave it a 7/10 ended up receiving death threats and a petition was started to get him fired.

Does make you wonder if reviewers are just telling you what the majority wants to hear...

#64 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

It was my very first item at the auction XD.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#65 Bx don

Bx don

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

I've never played the original so I can't wait to get my hands on this..
572355.png

#66 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

3Dude, can you give me a more indepth analysis of the performance issues in WW HD?  I have done some searching, and it seams like a lot of people are reporting framerate drops, such as when you jump with the quick sail on, and when you attack lots of enemies, although I think the slight pause when you land a blow on an enemy is actually intentional.  For example, if you do a 360 spin attack with multiple enemies around, you might think the game is stuttering, but I think that its actually part of the gameplay, Nintendo makes each blow felt by slightly pausing every time the attack hits an enemy.  That always felt more like a stutter to me than a framerate drop, but some people may be confusing that with a framerate drop, or perhaps I am the one who is incorrect.  There is also some speculation that its simply the game engine the Wind Waker runs on, the engine itself simply bottlenecks itself in certain situations, and was never reworked to really take advantage of the Wii U's increased speed.  I dont know enough about game engines, but its possible that on the CPU side that it may have required a total rework to get the engine running on all three cores, and there was no way Nintendo was going to devote the resources to do that.  Who knows, maybe Nintendo can iron some of these kinks out with a patch, but I kind of doubt it.   

#67 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

3Dude, can you give me a more indepth analysis of the performance issues in WW HD?  I have done some searching, and it seams like a lot of people are reporting framerate drops, such as when you jump with the quick sail on, and when you attack lots of enemies, although I think the slight pause when you land a blow on an enemy is actually intentional.  For example, if you do a 360 spin attack with multiple enemies around, you might think the game is stuttering, but I think that its actually part of the gameplay, Nintendo makes each blow felt by slightly pausing every time the attack hits an enemy.  That always felt more like a stutter to me than a framerate drop, but some people may be confusing that with a framerate drop, or perhaps I am the one who is incorrect.  There is also some speculation that its simply the game engine the Wind Waker runs on, the engine itself simply bottlenecks itself in certain situations, and was never reworked to really take advantage of the Wii U's increased speed.  I dont know enough about game engines, but its possible that on the CPU side that it may have required a total rework to get the engine running on all three cores, and there was no way Nintendo was going to devote the resources to do that.  Who knows, maybe Nintendo can iron some of these kinks out with a patch, but I kind of doubt it.

Hit pauses are indeed an intentional part of the game. And I think its, in certain areas, being called upon far too often...it may very well be a/the core part of the 'performance issues'.

WWHD is very.... inconsistantly consistant. One large naval battle will cause heavy slowdown where it shouldnt, (No geometry except a tiny building, nothing but open sea, player, and baddies) EVERY TIME... But much larger battles in more complex areas go off without a hitch....

Another problem likely related is windwakers unique animation system.

Wind waker isnt rigged and animated like typical 3d games. Its key framed, but you cant really tween/interpolate it everywhere because for certain animations (like attacks) it swaps out entire model parts in an animated style sequence to emulate a drawn animation style, so it goes from establishing key frames, and then 'tweening' a smooth transition between them, to specifically, uniquely, using individual 'frames' changing entire dimensions and objects into completely different shapes.... like how a cartoon animates. This is why wind waker had to be kept at 30fps. They would have had to hand modeled 30 extra frames, or simply double the existing frames, which would visually break the game in the most jarring manner when switching between standard skeleton rigged keyframed animation and windwakers 'drawn style' animations.

And youll have to experience it yourself because its hard to describe, but the slowdown just doesnt 'feel' like performance slowdown. It feels like the 'hit pause' being spammed on a loop.

It seems more like mistakes in trying to replicate the original windwaker 'feel' than performance problems.

I thought it might be miiverse streaming or something... But its just too dang consistant and replicable.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#68 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hmmm, once I have put some time in I will post my thoughts.  When people mentioned slowdown during navel battles, I immediately wondered if this was really the stutter effect that Nintendo used in the game from explosions.   

#69 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

hahaha!

that movie is os hilarious. total cornball. and for some reason, I could still watch it today. LOL

Hmmm, once I have put some time in I will post my thoughts.  When people mentioned slowdown during navel battles, I immediately wondered if this was really the stutter effect that Nintendo used in the game from explosions.   

hmmm... I have never noticed slowdown in the sea battles. Not with numerous helicopter things, the octoroks, the pirate cannons, and combinations of those.

Not saying it doesn't happen. But I've never noticed it.

The game is so fun. The sheer amount of things you can do and the ease at which you do it almost seem like I'm getting away with something I shouldn't be.

I guess I have been too used to today's non-Nintendo games.

Now I'm spoiled for anything else.

#70 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

hahaha!

that movie is os hilarious. total cornball. and for some reason, I could still watch it today. LOL

hmmm... I have never noticed slowdown in the sea battles. Not with numerous helicopter things, the octoroks, the pirate cannons, and combinations of those.

Not saying it doesn't happen. But I've never noticed it.

The game is so fun. The sheer amount of things you can do and the ease at which you do it almost seem like I'm getting away with something I shouldn't be.

I guess I have been too used to today's non-Nintendo games.

Now I'm spoiled for anything else.

Yeah, it really doesnt seem to have anything to do with stuff that would affect performance. It seems more like a glitch.

It happened to me at the steel island battle. (handful of gunboats)Hardcore stuttering. And everytime I went out and came back and they started firing the same thing. On a far more massive battle with dozens of sea hats octoroks and a handful of gunships... Nothing.

In dragon roost hidden hole FACING 2 chus... bomb lag... Everytime. Not 'hit pause', stuttering.

On a ridiculously massive battle with 4 wizrobes summoning carp unchecked.... Nothing. There were so many discarded enemy sticks, machetes,great swords and spears that they covered the entire floor, and when i stacked them together i couldnt get a screencap of all of them. A ridiculous battle.

No chug, no drop, just solid.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#71 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

I have played around on Outset island, and its been buttery smooth so far.  Looks great too.  Honestly, other than maybe Rayman Legends, this is the best looking game on Wii U.  I love it, and thats kind of funny because I about had a stroke back in the day when Nintendo unveiled Wind Waker at E3.  I was expecting the Spaceworld 2000 graphics, and it was a shock at the time.  It ended up being my second favorite Zelda game.  

3Dude, I didnt think of this before, but Wind Waker could run at 60fps seeing as how they do it with the Dolphin emulation software.  The animation framerate would remain less, but that's common for games anyway.  For example, Rayman Legends has much of the animation framerate running far below the games 60fps.  So I can see why Nintendo didnt bother because the animation wouldn't really be any smoother, but when you pan the camera around that would still be smoother from the increased framerate.     

#72 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

I have played around on Outset island, and its been buttery smooth so far.  Looks great too.  Honestly, other than maybe Rayman Legends, this is the best looking game on Wii U.  I love it, and thats kind of funny because I about had a stroke back in the day when Nintendo unveiled Wind Waker at E3.  I was expecting the Spaceworld 2000 graphics, and it was a shock at the time.  It ended up being my second favorite Zelda game.  

3Dude, I didnt think of this before, but Wind Waker could run at 60fps seeing as how they do it with the Dolphin emulation software.  The animation framerate would remain less, but that's common for games anyway.  For example, Rayman Legends has much of the animation framerate running far below the games 60fps.  So I can see why Nintendo didnt bother because the animation wouldn't really be any smoother, but when you pan the camera around that would still be smoother from the increased framerate.

https://forums.dolph...t-run-at-60-fps

[GC] Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker: 30 FPS

it CAN run be forced to 'run' at 60fps... but its pretty wonky, and certain events and animations make it crash. A lot.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#73 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

https://forums.dolph...t-run-at-60-fps

[GC] Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker: 30 FPS

it CAN run be forced to 'run' at 60fps... but its pretty wonky, and certain events and animations make it crash. A lot.

Ah, good to know.  Apparently they make PC games a bit differently, seeing as how they can work just fine over a wide range of framerates.  I have heard of games getting funky on PC when the framerate gets to high.  Such as playing old games at 120fps+, the speed of the game goes into hyper drive and the physics get all funky, like being able to jump really high. 

I have played through the forsaken fortress and strolled around Windfall Island, and still havent seen any performance issues, so I would think 3Dude has to be right, its gotta be some weird glitch or some funky code issues in some situations that are causing this.  The forsaken fortress is a larger area with lots of lighting and shadows, along with some NPC and the game ran smooth at 30fps.  The lighting makes this game look incredible.  I just got to Dragon Roost island, and when I walked inside to see the headmaster, I was amazed how different it looked. 

By the way 3Dude, I got one of your bottles.  I think it said something like "Sup!".  Its kind of a neat feature.  I would like to see it expanded though.  I think there is more that could be done. 

Edited by Goodtwin, 27 September 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#74 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Ah, good to know.  Apparently they make PC games a bit differently, seeing as how they can work just fine over a wide range of framerates.  I have heard of games getting funky on PC when the framerate gets to high.  Such as playing old games at 120fps+, the speed of the game goes into hyper drive and the physics get all funky, like being able to jump really high. 

I have played through the forsaken fortress and strolled around Windfall Island, and still havent seen any performance issues, so I would think 3Dude has to be right, its gotta be some weird glitch or some funky code issues in some situations that are causing this.  The forsaken fortress is a larger area with lots of lighting and shadows, along with some NPC and the game ran smooth at 30fps.  The lighting makes this game look incredible.  I just got to Dragon Roost island, and when I walked inside to see the headmaster, I was amazed how different it looked. 

By the way 3Dude, I got one of your bottles.  I think it said something like "Sup!".  Its kind of a neat feature.  I would like to see it expanded though.  I think there is more that could be done.

Theres another user with my name, and a very similar mii character. Ive actually gotten that bottle too.

Mine usually consist of free legendaries, or hard to get/skippable pics for figure making.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#75 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Theres another user with my name, and a very similar mii character. Ive actually gotten that bottle too.

Mine usually consist of free legendaries, or hard to get/skippable pics for figure making.

Wait, the Nintendo Gallery sidequest is still in? That was the only thing I never finished with Wind Waker, as it took so freaking long to do.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue

#76 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Ok went to the darn auction and its a treasure map. Do you have to win the auction to get the sail? This is killing me

#77 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Ok went to the darn auction and its a treasure map. Do you have to win the auction to get the sail? This is killing me

If the item isn't what you want, just quit the auction and try again. It's a bit tedious, but just keep doing it.

KtOSpy7.jpg

#78 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

i hear you.

when i first went in it ws a joy pendant. i let some lady win at the auction. when i tried again, it was that ladys joy pendant. i quit and reentered the auction 20 times and it was still that pendant. so i bid and won. the next time, it was the swift sail.

#79 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

TheUltimateWaddleDee, on 29 Sept 2013 - 2:44 PM, said:
Wait, the Nintendo Gallery sidequest is still in? That was the only thing I never finished with Wind Waker, as it took so freaking long to do.

oh dude. Get this. instead of having only 3 picture slots, and having to change time twice just to turn another pic in, you can take 12 pics, and turn them all in same day.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#80 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

A question for people who have played the game (HD or original):

Is the game fairly easy? A friend of mine said it is the easiest Zelda they have played and I'm just wondering if I should go ahead with Hero Mode from the beginning? I was thinking about it anyway but if it is quite an easy game then I will definitely go with Hero Mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!