Photo

Starrgrl's Music Composition (Moar music added 3/14/2012 :3)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Starrgrl24

Starrgrl24

Blooper

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Kirby and myself

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

POPULAR

I'll just dedicate this topic to my original music compositions. The first two I'm gonna post is really just me practicing different styles. I just have an image in my head and I compose whatever from it. :) I made these rather quickly so balance is gonna be an issue but oh well. Here are the music:

Posted Image

I was basically trying to copy the kirby music style (like kirby's dreamland series). xD Well...I came close. It was rather tricky composing the melody because I started off with the harmony, so it was very restricting. I still like it though. :)

Posted Image

I have an obsession with boss battle music because it's just so fun to compose! I was able to find a nice, catchy, yet short harmony. I abused the chromatic movements, but oh well. Chromatic scale ftw. xD

I do admit, my music are fairly short and even minimalist (well I tried to be like a minimalist). I like it that way. Best to keep things simple. :)

Edited by Starrgrl24, 14 March 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#2 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

The meadow music sounds like something you would find in the first level of a happy platformer... Just like kirby! :P

I really liked the Boss Battle music. I don't know what Boss you had in mind, but even without the image I felt that this music was an extension of it's character, something that all good theme music feels like, IMO :D

I do admit, my music are fairly short and even minimalist. I like it that way. Best to keep things simple. :)

Especially in video games :)
Get too fancy, and it feels distracting from the gameplay. Get too repetitive and it feels annoying. This style is perfect, though, as it's the kind of thing that you subconsciously realize is awesome, and brings back memories of the moment it was used. I hope to see more, because if this is you working quickly, then you at a normal pace should be awesome!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#3 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

Are nice songs! I really like the boss battle theme.

Like I said, reminds me of Kingdom Hearts :D

Hope to hear more of them when you make more ;)

#4 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'll just dedicate this topic to my original music compositions. The first two I'm gonna post is really just me practicing different styles. I just have an image in my head and I compose whatever from it. :) I made these rather quickly so balance is gonna be an issue but oh well. Here are the music:

Across the Meadow:

http://tindeck.com/listen/hgju

I was basically trying to copy the kirby music style (like kirby's dreamland series). xD Well...I came close. It was rather tricky composing the melody because I started off with the harmony, so it was very restricting. I still like it though. :)

Boss Battle:
http://tindeck.com/listen/ejsl

I have an obsession with boss battle music because it's just so fun to compose! I was able to find a nice, catchy, yet short harmony. I abused the chromatic movements, but oh well. Chromatic scale ftw. xD

I do admit, my music are fairly short and even minimalist. I like it that way. Best to keep things simple. :)

Very nice starrgrl! Like with everyone else, I would say that your Boss Battle music is the best.
I found that your Boss Battle music and this video go very well together, just mute the Youtube video.

#5 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

I can't help but think of an overworld theme from an RPG for the first one.

The second one, I didn't personally think of it as a boss battle theme, but (in terms of an RPG) a scene before a big, big boss battle, usually when you have a greater villain explaining a lot of crap before getting into it.

And it would probably be that one boss battle in the game that you have to do, but is a complete Mcguffin (like that Kingdom Hearts 2nd Riku Battle, or La Saia in Dark Cloud). Perhaps a little fast on the tempo for that kind of lead up event, but I reckon that it fits that better than an actual boss battle.

Then all you have to do is throw in an electric guitar, bass, drum kit and a really revved up version of that track for an intense boss battle.

AND VIOLINS!!! HOW COULD I FORGET THE FREAKING VIOLINS!!! *explodes from failure*

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 26 September 2011 - 06:57 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#6 Starrgrl24

Starrgrl24

Blooper

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Kirby and myself

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

I can't help but think of an overworld theme from an RPG for the first one.

The second one, I didn't personally think of it as a boss battle theme, but (in terms of an RPG) a scene before a big, big boss battle, usually when you have a greater villain explaining a lot of crap before getting into it.

And it would probably be that one boss battle in the game that you have to do, but is a complete Mcguffin (like that Kingdom Hearts 2nd Riku Battle, or La Saia in Dark Cloud). Perhaps a little fast on the tempo for that kind of lead up event, but I reckon that it fits that better than an actual boss battle.

Then all you have to do is throw in an electric guitar, bass, drum kit and a really revved up version of that track for an intense boss battle.

AND VIOLINS!!! HOW COULD I FORGET THE FREAKING VIOLINS!!! *explodes from failure*

That's a pretty good interpretation. It does work as a theme prior to a boss battle.

I believe doing a hard rock style is a bit cliche for a boss battle. I think it's cool, but I have a preference for something more "orchestral" like Kingdom Hearts. xD

#7 Starrgrl24

Starrgrl24

Blooper

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Kirby and myself

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

I made this music for my intro to music technology class. I composed this in Sonar Home Studio, which is a really great program! I think I'm liking it better than Fl Studio. Anyways, here is the music. :)

Posted Image

I was trying to make a sappy modern romantic piano music, but it came out more holidayish instead. lol This is my attempt at trying to sound more "modern" like pop music. :P

#8 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

I made this music for my intro to music technology class. I composed this in Sonar Home Studio, which is a really great program! I think I'm liking it better than Fl Studio. Anyways, here is the music. :)

Posted Image

I was trying to make a sappy modern romantic piano music, but it came out more holidayish instead. lol This is my attempt at trying to sound more "modern" like pop music. :P

I Don't know why, but this sounds like an ending theme played at the end of an RPG. It sounds like the camera is checking in on each of the characters. Maybe it's just my weird senses

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#9 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

I Don't know why, but this sounds like an ending theme played at the end of an RPG. It sounds like the camera is checking in on each of the characters. Maybe it's just my weird senses

You're not alone. I really felt that it was a great video game ending theme.

ENCORE!

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 06 October 2011 - 04:22 PM.

AuzzieWingman.png

#10 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

You're not alone. I really felt that it was a great video game ending theme.

ENCORE!

He's right.

MOAR!!!

#11 Starrgrl24

Starrgrl24

Blooper

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Kirby and myself

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:46 AM

You guys are too kind. :D

#12 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

You guys are too kind. :D

No, your music is just that awesome :D

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#13 Starrgrl24

Starrgrl24

Blooper

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Kirby and myself

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

I didn't compose anything new, but I do wanna share some old music I composed! Here they are:

Posted Image
This is my first battle theme music. Now THIS is a hard-rock style. xD I actually make decent use of the drum set. I just wanted to depict an intense battle scene. I hope I was able to accomplish that. I'm more than glad to hear other interpretation.

Posted Image
I ACTUALLY performed this music live at the composer's recital in my college recital hall. I would have loved to show the recording but I do not have it with me...soo just deal with the midi. xD I still like it though. This is my personal favorite. I should have edited out some parts since there was a part I had to do a short improv, so finale screwed me over. xD I'll replace with a real recording someday and I'll be sure to post it. This song was soooo hard to play and I only had a week to memorize it. xD Trust me...sounds a lot better live.
I can't help but go into details on this particular music. It's supposed to depict a winter storm. Half-way through, that is when it gets calm....and it gets intense again. Toward then end...it calms down gradually. :)

#14 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:46 AM

Hmm... much harder to pin these tunes to games this time around.
It's actually made me a little annoyed too. :P

AuzzieWingman.png

#15 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

Nice themes! I can imagine it being difficult to memorize a difficult song like that in just a week...

#16 Starrgrl24

Starrgrl24

Blooper

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Kirby and myself

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hmm... much harder to pin these tunes to games this time around.
It's actually made me a little annoyed too. :P

Haha that I can understand. I wasn't thinking about video games when composing, especially the piano piece.

I recently had to finish a project this past Thursday for my advance applications of music technology. It's a fun class, but a lotta work. xD Anyways, this is my complete project. I had to sequence it in Sonar Home Studio 6 (yeah...music lab is out of date, but they're gonna update this summer...but I'll be gone by then), with a couple of vsts and Reason 6 rewire.

I only got 90/100 because let's just say that I had some mixing issues, such as panning and volume level. xD Basically minor details I was stupid enough to overlook because I had less than 5 hours of sleep the past few days.So yeah, I'll fix it after I have fun with my 3DS. lol Here it is anyways:

Posted Image

I do have a fascination with battle music. I blame Pokemon music for this. I just love the intense and emotional style. :P

Edited by Starrgrl24, 25 February 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#17 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Haha that I can understand. I wasn't thinking about video games when composing, especially the piano piece.

I recently had to finish a project this past Thursday for my advance applications of music technology. It's a fun class, but a lotta work. xD Anyways, this is my complete project. I had to sequence it in Sonar Home Studio 6 (yeah...music lab is out of date, but they're gonna update this summer...but I'll be gone by then), with a couple of vsts and Reason 6 rewire.

I only got 90/100 because let's just say that I had some mixing issues, such as panning and volume level. xD Basically minor details I was stupid enough to overlook because I had less than 5 hours of sleep the past few days.So yeah, I'll fix it after I have fun with my 3DS. lol Here it is anyways:

Posted Image

I do have a fascination with battle music. I blame Pokemon music for this. I just love the intense and emotional style. :P

Battle themes are always great.

Great song and love the build-up! (Would have liked it a little longer though :P)

So, when you plan on doing more? Jk, quality over quantity ;)

#18 Zok

Zok

Spiny

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

Great job! It sounds epic.

Edited by Zok, 25 February 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#19 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

Incredible work! Keep up the good job. Hope to hear more soon.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#20 massattacker

massattacker

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

Incredible work! Keep up the good job. Hope to hear more soon.

same my favorite was the first battle theme this one
http://tindeck.com/listen/hpep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!