#1 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

So Zelda: A link between worlds has come out recently. I noticed that not many people actually talk about 2D Zelda games as much as 3D ones. Why do you think this is? Or am I just an ostrich with his head in the ground? Also, do prefer 3D or 2D Zelda games more? 

Example of 3D: Orcaraina of Time

Example of 2D: Link to the Past

It doesn't really matter to me, I actually enjoy all Zelda games. When I didn't really have an opportunity to play much of the 2D ones, and only played 3D ones. When I got a little bit older, I had a chance to play the 2D games and enjoyed them just the same. 

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#2 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

not going to lie, i dont see much talk about 2d zeldas as much as 3ds, i think thats because you see more about the 3d games (or more hype is created for 3d games)
honestly, i like the 3d ones more, not sure why, i just find them more enjoyable
I love the 2d games too, and it has one thing over the 3d ones is that they are normally harder (not by much, but they are)

wa3Nq7j.png

#3 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

3D games are more interesting

#4 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

So Zelda: A link between worlds has come out recently. I noticed that not many people actually talk about 2D Zelda games as much as 3D ones. Why do you think this is? Or am I just an ostrich with his head in the ground? Also, do prefer 3D or 2D Zelda games more? 

Example of 3D: Orcaraina of Time

Example of 2D: Link to the Past

It doesn't really matter to me, I actually enjoy all Zelda games. When I didn't really have an opportunity to play much of the 2D ones, and only played 3D ones. When I got a little bit older, I had a chance to play the 2D games and enjoyed them just the same. 

"Orcaraina?"

I like 3D zelda games more :D

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#5 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

3D Zelda games tend to have more scope to them, they seem grander, and almost more adventurous. While the 2D games have to concentrate more on gameplay, puzzles, and dungeons. In the past, I always got more excited for 3D Zelda games but with the recent A Link Between Worlds I can honestly say that's one of the best Zelda games I have ever played. I used to think that if a game was 2D it had to mean that there was somehow less fun, but A Link Between Worlds changed my mind.

When it comes down to it, now I don't categorize Zelda games by 2D and 3D, I categorize them by how much fun I had with them, because 2D or 3D, Zelda is awesome! :D

2jd1178.jpg

"...A well written villain is a hero in his/her own world..."

#6 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

I couldn't really choose but I guess I'm leaning towards 3d simply because I always felt 2d Zelda's was always intended to become 3d.

#7 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

I like the 2d games more because I can't use the wii controls at all. I've never played the game cube ones though.

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

Doesn't matter to me. I have a love hate relationship with the series.

Hated NES games but loved the concept of the first.

Loved LTTP

Liked OoT

I like MM in it's world and atmosphere. Game itself not so much. I detest time limits.

Wind Waker my fave Zelda ever

TP really enjoyed it(note I have the Gamecube version)

Skyward Sword. the first console Zelda made by Nintendo that had so much potential but flopped on it's stomach like a fish out of water with idiotic choices like how linear it was and fighting the same boss several times for a cheap way to prolong the game. Oh and who let Akuma in.

Game was crap.

Game Boy Color games are fantastic. LA is my fave 2D Zelda

DS holy dear mother of cricket farts in a pickle dilly those games are the worst Zelda games since CDi.

Will likely never have the chance to play BS Zelda

GBA never got around to Minish Cap but want to play it eventually

not gotten LBW yet but very very happy they went back to the NES era character design and promos used SNES era. Also love that they went back to a full open world and that it was not meaningless like TP's was.

#9 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

like them all so it doesn't really matter to me.

I play the old school ones when I was growing up.

They are all made very well to me so it's all good.

And link between world's was pretty good.

I'm not done with it yet but at the end and been enjoying it.

It's funny how they used the 2d top down and 3d world to mess with you tho.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#10 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

I Love the new 3ds 2d game. But wait, the 3d in this game is really brilliant. It feels so natural and really adds a an extra layer. (Most 3ds games just use 3d layers as eyecandy, and I turn of 3d function after some rounds because it tires my eyes. Not so in this Zelda game. I never play without the 3d)

Many concepts of the Nes and Snes originals where lost in translation to the 3d games but returned in the new 3ds Zelda.

Not only enemies and dungeon, but the general feel of exploring with minimal hints and a maximal feeling of freedom feel are absolute brilliant.

I have been hoping for this game to happen, and it surpasses my dream in all aspects.

Whenever a new 3d zelda pops up, I hope they use their newfound vision on that as well. Never thought that old concepts could feel so refreshing.

Edited by Lupaie, 09 January 2014 - 10:35 PM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#11 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

I like more the 2D games like ALBW, the 3D are occasionally too confusing.

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#12 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

I prefer 3D zeldas.  I couldn't tell you why exactly.  Might be that I just prefer 3D space and what it allows in the games.

#13 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

Skyward Sword. the first console Zelda made by Nintendo that had so much potential but flopped on it's stomach like a fish out of water with idiotic choices like how linear it was and fighting the same boss several times for a cheap way to prolong the game. Oh and who let Akuma in.

Game was crap.

This is all complete rubbish. You're just  bashing the game with no thoughtful criticism at all. 

1. Even though it was linear at least it was actually something different to the usual 3D Zelda games. The majority of which have been copy-pastes of the OoT format.

2. You fought one boss several times. Why is that a "cheap way of prolonging the game"? Your favourite Zelda, Wind Waker, makes you repeat all the bosses in the last dungeon. Is that also a cheap way to prolong the game?

3. The motion controls made the sword fighting amazing (I know you didn't mention that but it is an important pat of what made the game great).

Skyward Sword was the best Zelda since Ocarina of Time. I really don't understand why someone would prefer Twilight Princess over Skyward Sword. In fact, it sounds as if you enjoy it more than OoT and MM which is even more baffling.

Edited by Hunter, 10 January 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#14 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Oh noes against popular opinion so must be wrong what ever shall I do. Yes and a 1000x yes I do prefer WW over Oot any day of the week. Also TP is OoT basically with GCN visuals. Skyward Sword is more like FFXIII took away a core mechanic in exploring the first game and games afterwards were about exploration. Just point a to point b and it's dull. Like taking the jump button away from Mario. Metroid Prime is the perfect example how to be different but keep the core element and overall feeling of the series. 3DS game got the series back where it needed to be.  The bosses at the end is in many of the series. No you fight the EXACT SAME boss and it;s a boring fight to begin with and very tedious. They could have made Skies of Arcadia in the Sky like WW was SOA in the sea. One of the games biggest selling points flying around the world ended up being a non factor.  Yeah Skyward Sword is a game that had great potential but was hindered too often and just sucked as a valid entry to the series. Other games I did not enjoy but I still knew they did what they wanted to do and did that well. SS did not. It fell flat on it's face.

I did not even mention the controls so sounds like you are very sensitive about the game. Also just because one person says it's crap should not prevent another from enjoying it. I stand firm on what I said. Nothing gong to change that.

Edited by Ryudo, 10 January 2014 - 02:42 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Legend of zelda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!