• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

lol at people panicking calling for his head.  They will be fine and he will fix it. A true test of a CEO is ow they work through a troubling time. Even good CEO's have them. The company is not about to fall apart.  If Nintendo fired a CEO every time some trouble brewed Yamauchi would have been fired 34 times. He nearly took it to bankruptcy in the early 80's,could not figure out what kind of company it was for a couple decades and had a failed toy biz. Nintendo is nowhere near that. Just keep up the marketing and then some and keep a steady flow of games and market those games. Japanese business is often more calm about these things than westerners who want change right away.

If Nintendo wants the Wii U to be a successful product, then the marketing needs to be better and Nintendo needs to bring out its big guns. Nevermind Donkey Kong, where is Fzero and Metroid? Where is Zelda U? Why aren't there any new IP's? Where's a stand alone Fire Emblem game? What's happening with X?

I am not a massive fan of Sony, but at least they're committed to creating new IP's, when was the last time that Nintendo created a new IP? Pikmin? I love Nintendo, but they need to adapt and change or they'll become irrelevant.

The PS4 and the Xbox One are flying off the shelves and that's despite many of their major first party titles not even being released yet. That's the power of third party support and sadly Nintendo doesn't have this luxury. Iwata thought that third parties would jump on board and they haven't. Bethesda have said that Nintendo never bothered with them prior to the launch of the Wii U and as a result they're having nothing to do with the Wii U. EA have even abandoned the Wii U and Ubisoft I dare say will be following suit.

Nintendo systems seem to becoming increasingly more like first and second party systems for Nintendo's own software and that's fine, but Nintendo needs to ensure that it has the infrastructure in place to support two devices and to have enough first party and second party games to really draw in the crowd.

If Iwata remains in charge he needs to really focus on restructuring Nintendo and changing the company's outlook because Nintendo are in danger of becoming irrelevant in the home console industry. People want to play Nintendo games, but aren't prepared to buy Nintendo systems and Nintendo need to change this attitude. 

Also who is the Wii U aimed at? Originally it was aimed at the 'hardcore gamer' (excuse the phrase) and there was promise of third party support, now the Wii U is being aimed at the same people who bought the Wii, but are those people loyal enough to Nintendo to upgrade their hardware? If I have a Wii with a fitness board, why would I upgrade to a Wii U? I wouldn't, I'd keep the Wii and I'd imagine that's how a certain amount of Wii owners will feel.

I think the Wii U will end up being a profitable system for Nintendo, but it will be the games that will spare Nintendo's blushes because it's been one bit of incompetence after another from Nintendo and sooner or later consumers will stop accepting apologises, please understand, they'll simply go elsewhere.

#22 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Nintendo, it will be fine. They been doomed to fail since 1982 and people telling them what they need to do. Always telling them how wrong they are. They will be fine

Last time they created a new IP. GiFTPIA,Captain Rainbow,Xenoblade,The Last Story,Pandoras Tower,Zangeki no Reginleiv,Disaster Day of Crisis,Giest,Chibi Robo,Soma Bringer,Endless ocean,A.S.H., and more. yes these are all Nintendo owned IP's

Edited by Ryudo, 18 January 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#23 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

Nintendo, it will be fine. They been doomed to fail since 1982 and people telling them what they need to do. Always telling them how wrong they are. They will be fine

Last time they created a new IP. GiFTPIA,Captain Rainbow,Xenoblade,The Last Story,Pandoras Tower,Zangeki no Reginleiv,Disaster Day of Crisis,Giest,Chibi Robo,Soma Bringer,Endless ocean,A.S.H., and more. yes these are all Nintendo owned IP's

Did Nintendo create all of these IP's or did they buy studios who owned these franchises? If I remember correctly wasn't the first Xenogears game on the PS1? Also is Mistwalker one of the developers behind The Last Story an Nintendo owned studio? I thought they received funding from Microsoft?

I have no doubt that Nintendo will be okay for this generation, but I've read that they will more than likely post a third consecutive fiscal loss. The next generation Nintendo really need to get back to basics, nevermind gimmicks, please understand and whatever else. Nintendo should make a quality machine with a standard controller, ensure the system is marketed and hyped up to the nth degree and ensure some of their big hitters are launch line up games.

Oh and throw money at Sega to create some exclusive games from their own old franchises and Atlus's franchises. Really give people a reason to play on Nintendo systems.

#24 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Xenogears is not the same series. Xenoblade was called Monando Beginning of the World but was later changed for marketing. Mistwalker is independent. Just they work very similar to Treasure in that none of the games they make is their own IP. Nintendo worked close with them on TLS. Even when development started on XB Monolith was a 1st p[arty studio. Monolith developed Disaster as a first party same as Soma Bringer. Momolith even made the visuals for Skyward Sword. Nintendo worked with some other to create a new IP and publish them.MS did the same with Halo as it originally a Mac/PC/Dreamcast game. Sony used to own 19% of Square. Sony also biught the studio that did WIpeout after they had the series on other platforms. Nintendo worked with Gan on Pandora. Now Gan has developed Wii fit U. Nintendo partners with 3rd party devs all the time. Nintendo has a few new IP's every generation. Just majority of people pay half attention then make assumptions.

Mistwalker refused to develop for Sony as Gooch was mistreated by Sony and he hated the PS3. That could change now but he is working on a not named yet Wii U title.

Gunstar Heroes,Gaurdian Heroes were not made by SEGA but by Treasue but stil a SEGA IP.

#25 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

It's time he resigns. We need fresh blood in the company.

He came in 2001 as fresh blood and, until the Wii U, has done very well. I think they will be fine.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#26 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

The problem is that most of these games are very japanese games and only sell to a niche market in the west (I know that none of my friends, nor myself, are interested in these sort of games) Nintendo needs to make some new, more modern ips that appeal to the western market. Games that will stand the test of time like Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong etc.

Either that or they should make some modern additions to the many franchises we haven't heard from in years.

#27 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

People Daisy about them no matter what. Nintendo makes the games they make. People would Daisy and moan if they didn't make enough Japanese games then would moan they make too many. They make new IP's on a regular basis but people say they don't then when they find out they do they say it's not a FPS or some western guns blazing carp. Also here is something most these so called niche games sell better in the US than Japan. 3rd party or 1st. The last Story is Xseeds best selling game. Xenoblade sold over 800k. Fire Emblem Awakening sold about 900k. These did not just break even they made a lot of profit. People do not get the install base myth and that games do not need to sell Cod/GTA numbers to be a great success.

People can never make up their minds what people want. Like hungry toddlers. Nice to see one company does not lower their standards for the dudebro crowd. Level-5 is another and so is Falcom. Japanese companies making very Japanese games and the games make profit even in the west. 

#28 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

People Daisy about them no matter what. Nintendo makes the games they make. People would Daisy and moan if they didn't make enough Japanese games then would moan they make too many. They make new IP's on a regular basis but people say they don't then when they find out they do they say it's not a FPS or some western guns blazing carp. Also here is something most these so called niche games sell better in the US than Japan. 3rd party or 1st. The last Story is Xseeds best selling game. Xenoblade sold over 800k. Fire Emblem Awakening sold about 900k. These did not just break even they made a lot of profit. People do not get the install base myth and that games do not need to sell Cod/GTA numbers to be a great success.

People can never make up their minds what people want. Like hungry toddlers. Nice to see one company does not lower their standards for the dudebro crowd. Level-5 is another and so is Falcom. Japanese companies making very Japanese games and the games make profit even in the west. 

I get the impression you don't think the mess that Nintendo finds itself in at the moment is serious at all?

#29 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

I get the impression you don't think the mess that Nintendo finds itself in at the moment is serious at all?

No. The impression is Nintendo has been in a many a mess before ESP with the oh so praised Yamauchi...who nearly destroyed the company several times over. People on forums and websites try to act like being a CEO is like being a coach of a sports team. Couple bad seasons and gotta fire him. The worst thing you can do to a company when struggling is get rid of a CEO. Yahoo just ask them. HP went through I think 3 the last 5 years and they have been in a carpstorm. Sony is in a more financial mess than anyone at the moment. Now on their 3rd CEO on the last few years. PS4 doing well now but other departments not doing well. Nintendo as a company is not in any danger of going out of business. They are in danger of going on a path that way. Nintendo is not doomed but have heavy challenges ahead of them. Iwata just has challenges ahead of him he must take care of.

People need to chill the frak out. Esp in 2014 where there is a very promising lineup. many Nintendo consoles before have had early struggles but once it started getting some hits they did fine. Wii U has a better 2014 lineup than PS4 and XBO and marketing out of the gate can get you a wonderful boost. You can only coast so long. Not saying Wii U will outsell those. Just saying It should have enough games this year and they key thing here is where Nintendo struggles the most. Marketing. EVERY game they release this year should be all over TV and websites. 2014 as I keep saying is make or break for Wii U. 2013 is 2013. If the lineup of 2014 fails to move system then yes. That is time to panic and consider changes.

#30 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

With 10 million sorry BILLION in the bank, and 3DS being best selling system of 2013...

no, not really.

The Wii U is in trouble but nintendo is far from being in a "serious mess".

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#31 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

He had 3 sucessful platforms because there was a market for the at the time. The market that he's trying to lead nintendo on is long gone. I think they should fire him and replace him with someone that's more in touch with the current gaming community

There actually wasn't a "casual market" as it is defined today. Iwata and Co. Created that market with the DS, Wii and 3DS. But, as I stated back then, the true test isn't whether the Wii is successful or not. It's whether or not the Wii 2 (or, as we know now, Wii U) will be successful. So far Nintendo hasn't done well with the casual market (or any market).

Answer this question: What was the initial draw for casual gamers? The motion controllers. Games that can be pick up and played in short, fun bursts like Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit.

Answer this question: For casual gamers, what is the initial draw? Wii Sports!!!! Wait ... No. Motion controls!!! Wait .. No. It has it, but no new fun games for short bursts of fun. These people don't care about DK Mario Batman GTA or anything like that. They want Wii Sports HD. They want a new Wii Play. A new Wii Fit. They also want a reason to buy a new console. Why should they buy a new Wii U when they have their Wii? Nintendo HAS TO answer that question for the casual market, and they haven't even tried.

Their messages are mixed and they need to get it straight. They will be fine, but to have the Wii sales numbers they need to answer these questions for the casual market.

Nintendo may well post a third consecutive fiscal loss and if this happens, Iwata's approval ratings may slide further downwards.

I like Iwata but the way in which the 3DS and Wii U were launched has hurt Nintendo. They released these devices without any must own/must play games and with very little marketing. Fortunately their AAA games Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 helped change the fortunes of the 3DS and I hope their AAA games help change the Wii U's fortunes.

But I think it maybe time for a change, Iwata as much as I like him just seems to have a lack of understanding of what gamers want. Why force the tablet controller onto customers who have no interest in such devices? It should have been an optional accessory with the Pro Controller being the standard issue controller. Had they done this ans then had they released Zelda U and Super Smash Bros as launch games, then I highly doubt the Wii U would have been struggling like it was throughout 2013.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Past success is past success, all eyes in Nintendo's board room is on the present and the immediate future.

If they had Zelda HD and Super Smash at launch and sold the Wii U with poop as the controller, and it would have sold like gold. So what does that tell you? The controller doesn't matter and that is not what sells the system.

Let Nintendo say it simply for you:
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=n_E2lh1lgmk

At around 2:50ish the Nintendo says its all about games. That's what Ninteneo didn't do.

#32 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

They make new IP's on a regular basis but people say they don't then when they find out they do they say it's not a FPS or some western guns blazing carp.

This is every fanboy's defence for Nintendo's new IPs. They always play the "nintendo shouldnt make any dudebro shooters" failing to realise that there are loads of other genres out there that appeal more to western gamers than jrpgs.

Edited by Hunter, 18 January 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#33 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Jesus Christ Iwata.
If you were an American CEO, you'd be in court for proclaiming 9 million sales as a forecast.
That's pretty mis-leading, no way could he possibly expect those numbers if he's revised the number to 2.8 million.

The sooner he steps back the better. He doesn't have to leave the company, but just let someone else have the last say.

He is an American CEO, lol. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#34 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

This is every fanboy's defence for Nintendo's new IPs. They always play the "nintendo shouldnt make any dudebro shooters" failing to realise that there are loads of other genres out there that appeal more to western gamers than jrpgs.

Somone on a Nintendo forum calling someone a fanboy. Esp when that person who gets them all and has them all since 1985. Seriously SEGA is my fave with DC as a fave system and 27 systems to boot and last gen owned all 3. I'm no "fanboy" except of the industry where pathetic or not to some people is the industry I eat sleep and breathe 25/8 but if that's the cheap argument you have then so be it. If you want to ignore the fact that those companies sell Japanese games to a western audience and the games sell plus make profit that's your own blindness. And good chunk of those listed were not a JRPG.

Square is bleeding trying to appeal to everyone. Capcom is almost dead because of it. You can never please everyone. So you focus on a group. Nintendo games sell and make profit. All that matters. Can put the fanboy carp where it smells of onion and gym socks. Wait no because that's my neighbors place. Still rather cheap to throw out that term so loosely. I get everything even when I don't want it,why because that's what I do to experience it all. Can't stand XBO but likely to end up with one.

Edited by Ryudo, 18 January 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#35 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

The problem is that most of these games are very japanese games and only sell to a niche market in the west (I know that none of my friends, nor myself, are interested in these sort of games) Nintendo needs to make some new, more modern ips that appeal to the western market. Games that will stand the test of time like Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong etc.

Either that or they should make some modern additions to the many franchises we haven't heard from in years.

Did you miss the point that he made?

Signature_DK.png

#36 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Pullblox - puzzle
rasto-stoly, xenobrado - jrpg
wii party - minigame party rainbow
nes remix - arcade gay thing
disaster day of crisis - action
steel diver - really lame simulation game
dillons - tower defense
freakyforms - creation thing

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#37 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

With 10 million sorry BILLION in the bank, and 3DS being best selling system of 2013...

no, not really.

The Wii U is in trouble but nintendo is far from being in a "serious mess".

Nintendo are losing money and it seems they are on course to post their third successive fiscal loss which doesn't make good reading. The Wii U really is struggling this generation and while I'm confident that Nintendo's first and second party games will ensure that Nintendo makes an overall profit, I do think Nintendo is fast becoming irrelevant in the home console market.

Lightning struck once with the Wii, but lightning doesn't usually strike twice.

I do think Nintendo needs to make drastic changes to how it does business, because the gap between the PS4 and Xbox One with the Wii U may well end up being quite substantial.

If they had Zelda HD and Super Smash at launch and sold the Wii U with poop as the controller, and it would have sold like gold. So what does that tell you? The controller doesn't matter and that is not what sells the system.

Let Nintendo say it simply for you:
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=n_E2lh1lgmk

At around 2:50ish the Nintendo says its all about games. That's what Ninteneo didn't do.

Software is only one aspect of it. The tablet controller has put a lot of potential buyers off from purchasing a Wii U, so has the lack of storage 32gb, so has the lack of third party support and the lower specifications of the Wii U. These are all reasons stated by a lot of gamers as to why they won't be picking up Nintendo's latest home console.

I like the Wii U, I like the tablet controller, but I'm in the minority. Nintendo really need to start listening to the consumer, the fact they haven't and Sony has done so has seen Sony reap the rewards and the PS4 will no doubt shift the most amount of units out all three eighth-generation consoles.

#38 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

a good chunk of those listed were not a JRPG.

I was just using that as an example.

I'm not saying Nintendo should stop making these games, I'm just saying they need to make more games that are on the same level as zelda, metroid, mario etc.. 

#39 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:26 AM

Nintendo are losing money and it seems they are on course to post their third successive fiscal loss which doesn't make good reading. The Wii U really is struggling this generation and while I'm confident that Nintendo's first and second party games will ensure that Nintendo makes an overall profit, I do think Nintendo is fast becoming irrelevant in the home console market.

Lightning struck once with the Wii, but lightning doesn't usually strike twice.

I do think Nintendo needs to make drastic changes to how it does business, because the gap between the PS4 and Xbox One with the Wii U may well end up being quite substantial.

Software is only one aspect of it. The tablet controller has put a lot of potential buyers off from purchasing a Wii U, so has the lack of storage 32gb, so has the lack of third party support and the lower specifications of the Wii U. These are all reasons stated by a lot of gamers as to why they won't be picking up Nintendo's latest home console.

I like the Wii U, I like the tablet controller, but I'm in the minority. Nintendo really need to start listening to the consumer, the fact they haven't and Sony has done so has seen Sony reap the rewards and the PS4 will no doubt shift the most amount of units out all three eighth-generation consoles.

I could see lack of third party support (although, who buys Nintendo for third party games?) and the 32GB of storage (which can be expanded easily and cheaply) but I have never in my life heard anyone who say that They don't want a Wii U because of the controller. I mean, never in my life. Please, send a link of a review who says that. Or a forum of multiple people saying that. There might be a few, just like a few who don't like motion controllers. But a few isn't the majority of people. Or a lot.

Also, lighting didn't strike once with the Wii. Nintendo did their research and created the DS as a test for the casual market. They even had an HD system waiting to be released and probably a Game Boy Advanced 2 ready to ship if the DS failed. The reason? They didn't know if the DS would succeed (remember the DS being the "third arm" of Nintendo, and the Game Boy brand isn't going away? Hmmm). But it did. So Nintendo moved forward with the GCN 2.0 (Wii) and put a stop on the GCN HD (which probably was the Wii U). They then created a market for casual gamers, or rather discovered it.

Problem is, the true test of that market is whether or nit Nintendo can convince casuals to buy Wii U. Right now, they have failed at that because they haven't tried. I mean they don't even advertise it had Netflix or Amazon or TVii. Stuff casual gamers would like.

And there lies the marketing problem. Not the name. I mean come on, the forth and fifth iPad us called iPad. If that isn't confusing, how is the Wii U name confusing? No, the problem with marketing is they don't have a clear message. They need one.

But the biggest problem is software. They don't have it yet, but games are coming.

Edited by MorbidGod, 19 January 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#40 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

I was just using that as an example.

I'm not saying Nintendo should stop making these games, I'm just saying they need to make more games that are on the same level as zelda, metroid, mario etc..

Xenoblade is easily on that level. Although it doesnt help you much since you cant stand jrpg's (which are actually traditional Wrpg's, since they are all inspired by, and styled precisely in accordance to ultima, specifically ultima 3. RIP Orion, burn in hell EA).

But I definately see where you are coming from. Aside from X, and bayo 2, I have practically nothing on wii u, Zilch. And being that you cant play jrpg's for whatever reason, you have 50% less than that.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!