• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 barmazuz

barmazuz

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

When do you think graphics will come photo-realistic? That we will treat GPU'S as we treat sound cards today (In motherboard, doesnt need to do anything, and very powerful and never need to upgrade), and when that happens, what will happen to Nvidia and AMD (ATI)?

Edited by barmazuz, 08 November 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

I honestly don't want graphics to become photo-realistic. If I want realistic...I'll just go outside. :/

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

Random Guess: It'll happen in 50 years. But I don't want it to be like that yet! I DON'T WANT TO ABANDON TOON LINK! :(
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#4 barmazuz

barmazuz

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Well, you can't stop that (And you certainly cannot play Mario in real world...) ;p

But, what i mean is, what will happen to all these big industries who are getting money off the competition (Nvidia and ATI creating even better chips etc).

#5 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

It'll become a monopoly. Unless, of course, one of the companies are a Walmart-type of company.
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#6 Garolymar

Garolymar

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • NNID:Garolymar
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin/ Anything else Nintendo.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

Jeez... Can you just imagine the controversy of shooters and violent games will have to face when your mutilating photorealistic people... Those days will sure be fun now won't they? Anyways I'd take a guess at around sometime this century. that way if I am wrong I won't be around to know it. I don't really care for photorealism anyways. I don't play games to be in a realistic environment I play games to Escape realism. Give me my cartoony cel-shaded graphics and my anime inspired RPGs all day everyday and I'll be happy. But as they say different strokes for different folks. So yeah, just thought I'd chime in...
Posted Image

#7 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

I honestly don't want graphics to become photo-realistic. If I want realistic...I'll just go outside. :/

*walks outside*
*gets optic blasted*

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#8 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

Well we are getting closer to that with each generation so who knows. I will welcome the day games will have the ability to create photo realistic graphics. If it does happen the systems will have a ton of power. The amount of power could also benefit other games of different art styles.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#9 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

Never expect characters to become fully photo-realistic. There's a reason as to why most animated movies have cartoony characters.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#10 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:39 PM

If you look in the advances in technology in the last decade, I think that we could be seeing photorealistic graphics appearing in our games within the next 10-20 years. I think that once graphics reach that point, the companies who create chips will try to make them smaller and cheaper, so I expect there'll still be competition in that market.

#11 HaHa-No

HaHa-No

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lucky Star, Animal Crossing, Darkwave.

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

Well, when it does, Sony and Microsoft are ruined in the video game business :v. As the main selling point for their consoles have always been graphics.

http://www.20b.org/

^Click it

^I agree with this guy

You know you want to! 'Tis leaked Nintendo information!

#12 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:45 AM

I'm guessing that we'll have photo-realistic graphics in under 3 years, probably under 2 actually. Euclideon's it covered :D

Well, when it does, Sony and Microsoft are ruined in the video game business :v. As the main selling point for their consoles have always been graphics.

Not true, at least for Sony. That's ignorant fanboy talk!

#13 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

Not true, at least for Sony. That's ignorant fanboy talk!

While it is true that Sony has some good franchises going on for them(being a huge Sly Cooper fan myself), the number one argument you'll hear from a Sony fanboy as to why the PS3 is the best system is how it has the best graphics. Oh, and no offense, but I'd be careful of accusing someone of "ignorant fanboy talk", mister "I want Nintendo to stop making handhelds and develop for the Vita".
Posted Image

#14 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:10 AM

the generation after next will have photo realistic graphics i think. if not, then the one after latest. btw photo realistic graphics wont be the end of Mario and Kirby and toon link. imagine a white A4 paper and the best art tools in the world. you can paint an extremely realistic painting that is almost identical to real life, or you can still draw cartoons. its the same thing with consoles and graphical capabilities.
Posted Image

#15 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

We have photo-realistic graphical capabilities. Sure it takes an uber-powerful computer to render them, and it's nowhere close to being able to be used in video games, but half of Japan's Otakus don't mistake a fake idol as real with PS3 level graphics.

I'll give it 5 years.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#16 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 14 July 2014 - 12:14 AM.

#17 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

I want Nintendo to move into making games only because that's the only thing I like Nintendo for (their beautiful games) and I think that we'd get more of those games if they went software only.

I quite like my shoulder buttons, analog joystick, portable consoles, touch screen, motion controls, soon to be hud-less full hd games and pretty much video games in general. I think I would prefer if Nintendo stayed in the console business, they seem to be very good at keeping it fresh.

Move along people, there's nothing to see here, just an ignorant fanboy rant.

Wertville is right. 5 years is just about right for everything except characters to get photorealistic.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#18 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:02 AM

I quite like my shoulder buttons, analog joystick, portable consoles, touch screen, motion controls, soon to be hud-less full hd games and pretty much video games in general. I think I would prefer if Nintendo stayed in the console business, they seem to be very good at keeping it fresh.

Move along people, there's nothing to see here, just an ignorant fanboy rant.

Wertville is right. 5 years is just about right for everything except characters to get photorealistic.

Please don't accuse me of "ranting" or being an ignorant fanboy, I wasn't ranting and most people here know I'm not ignorant.

#19 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

Please don't accuse me of "ranting" or being an ignorant fanboy, I wasn't ranting and most people here know I'm not ignorant.

Dude, you said Nintendo should go software only. That in itself is IGNorant.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#20 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

Guys drop it please. This is going of topic, also it is Ninja's opinion so he is allowed to have it as long as he doesn't force it upon people. Now back on topic, character may not be photo realistic when environments do. It may be due to environments will most likely become more expansive.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!