Photo

DKC: Tropical Freeze only sells through 35% of its initial shipment in Japan.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

http://nintendoevery...pment-in-japan/

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze sold 36,000 units (give or take) in its first week on the Japanese market. This we know. Media Create, however, has shared a few extra bits about the game’s sales.

Perhaps most significant, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze only sold through 35.28 percent of its initial shipment. Media Create mentions that the series is seeing a downward trend in sales.As previously mentioned, Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii sold 163,000 units in its first week while the 3DS port sold another 104,000 units.

Aside from the Wii U’s lower installed base, why are gamers seemingly less interested? Media Create speculates that people aren’t being enticed by the new layers within Tropical Freeze. The sales tracker also cautions people to consider the heavy snow last weekend, especially in places like Tohoku and Kanto areas.

And of course, we can’t forget about what kind of title Donkey Kong is. Media Create points out that more sales will come over a longer period of time due to its evergreen nature.

RIP DK franchise. 

Edited by U Mirin' Brah?, 21 February 2014 - 07:38 PM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 kirbylover

kirbylover

Kirby And Pikachu are Freakin awesome

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Fandom:
    kirby,mario kart,mario,anything nintendo

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

There's hailing in Kanto? That was impossible in the original red and blue games.

Who cares about dk? Nobody.

Signature_Mewtwo.png

Pokedex entry: Mewtwo: The butt pokemon. It is really sexy and any pokemon that sees it wants to have sex with it. It's power comes from it's butt.

#3 Ledo Jaeger

Ledo Jaeger

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • NNID:Aarony

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

That's a shame. So far this is an exceptional platformer oozing with charm. If it really bombs, it may be the last of the DKC franchise for a while.

In other words, I love you

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

It will have Gorilla legs.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Maybe this will be a wake up call to Nintendo that they should give the platformers a rest for the time being. 

pNgecl.gif

#6 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Maybe this will be a wake up call to Nintendo that they should give the platformers a rest for the time being. 

Please no. Nintendo platformers are my favorite games to play, action adventure is next, the rest, well hardly interest me. That sounds selfish but w.e.

Well everyone else would be missing out then! Heard this game is better then DKCR Wii and 3DS, and thats saying a lot. If I didn't have a Wii U already I would buy one.

Edited by TheDoctor13, 21 February 2014 - 08:24 PM.

Stupid Snowmads!

#7 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Please no. Nintendo platformers are my favorite games to play, action adventure is next, the rest, well hardly interest me. That sounds selfish but w.e.

Well everyone else would be missing out then! Heard this game is better then DKCR Wii and 3DS, and thats saying a lot. If I didn't have a Wii U already I would buy one.

I totally understand and that's cool. I'm sure Tropical Freeze is an absolutely fantastic game, it's just not a game that's going to move units. That's all I'm saying. I like platformers too. I just think it was dumb of Nintendo to make three of their main releases in the first 15 months of this console all platformers. 

pNgecl.gif

#8 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

not surprised. 

DKTF, like Mario 3d world, though great games, should be released 4-5 years into the consuls lifecycle. at this point the games should be entirely focused at bringing people in. 

also advertise more. they do more than a few months ago, but still.

#9 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

not surprised. 

DKTF, like Mario 3d world, though great games, should be released 4-5 years into the consuls lifecycle. at this point the games should be entirely focused at bringing people in. 

also advertise more. they do more than a few months ago, but still.

Good insight.

But Nintendo to their credit, seem unconcerned about strategy. They simply make great games.

And DKTF is such.

#10 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

Sucks it's a good game I would probably rate it a 9 up to par with pikmin3 and Mario3D

#11 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

Yeah behind Pikmin 3 so far its my second best U game.

#12 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

Do nintendo really believe DK is a system seller? Like I've said a million times I don't believe it is a system seller on it's own but when you put it together with other games it is. Someone considering a Wii U when Smash Bros. comes out will be attracted to the number of great games already available.

I agree with TheDoctor13, Nintendo make amazing platformers and I dont want them to stop.

Also why are people saying RIP DK? It's only been one week and this is only japan! 

Edited by Hunter, 22 February 2014 - 12:18 AM.

#13 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

Damn shame. This is a solid game too. I had fun playing through the first island. Hopefully this is one of those games that gain traction down the road and begin selling well. Wonder how the sales were in America

#14 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:11 AM

They're pretty much got all the platform franchises out on Wii U already.
Even a Yoshi coming.
Needs a Paper Mario and such more than a Kirby.
Inb4 Kirby at e3.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#15 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:36 AM

h ttp://thewiiu.com/topic/17570-dkc-tropical-freeze-only-sells-through-35-of-its-initial-shipment-in-japan/

lol

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 22 February 2014 - 01:37 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#16 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

Not really a surprise, there is already too many platform games on the WiiU, saying that my copy of DK-TF arrived yesterday  :D

#17 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

Not really a surprise, there is already too many platform games on the WiiU, saying that my copy of DK-TF arrived yesterday  :D

Still my only platformer is Rayman Legends xD. Not sure if I should get this or SM3DW, both look great in their own way

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#18 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

They're pretty much got all the platform franchises out on Wii U already.
Even a Yoshi coming.
Needs a Paper Mario and such more than a Kirby.
Inb4 Kirby at e3.

Paper Mario isn't a platform. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#19 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Aside from the Wii U’s lower installed base, why are gamers seemingly less interested?

Well, I believe this had to do with Nintendo's poor strategic management of WiiU game genre's. In one year of WiiU we got NSMBU, Rayman Legends and Mario 3d World. Giving Retro the go-ahead with this Platforming-genre title was poor judgement....and we already cried so. Also, by just releasing DK Returns on 3ds, they already stilled my hungre for a DK title, with DK-TF being more of the same.

Not saying Tropical Freeze is bad, but Strategically Retro should have been charged with a title in another genre.

If some lame forummers see poor judgement and bad strategic planning, why can't Nintendo? They live and get paid for this. We as consumers will be the ones who get punished in the long run.

With Nintendo's failing, more and more parties (intern and extern) will fail to see why producing for wiiU would benefit them. And in the long run WiiU can't survive if Nintendo keeps doing this.

Plain and simple, I applaud Nintendo's search for something new and I can't blame them for the flopping Gamepad or communicating the appeal of the system. But what happens to Donkey Kong and SM3DW is all their doing. For Gods sake, get your act together

Edited by Lupaie, 22 February 2014 - 10:27 AM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Paper Mario isn't a platform.

Indeed, you spotted the point I was making!
It's (usually) an RPG with beautiful, clever, and funny story.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!