Photo

Are you getting Smash Bros for the 3DS or Wii U?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'll cave in and get both..... The Wii U is one of my "must have" titles- was kinda thinking I could hold off on 3ds if it came out later.    

#42 Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time

Spiny

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

3DS just because it's coming earlier.

If they came at the same time, I'd get Wii U only.  I don't plan on buying the game again once I have it on 3DS.

#43 ChrisD

ChrisD

Nyah, see! Nyah!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    PCSoTendo. Because fanboyism is dumb.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Both. Was always both, though. 

#44 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

If money was no object, I'd definitely get both, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting either, sadly... My siblings are all girls without much interest in gaming, my parents are, well, parents, and my friends don't care too much for Smash Brothers. So I dunno if it'd be worth it for me to pay $60 for a game that I would probably only get a few hours (from the singleplayer mode) from. Online might extend that time a little, but not much... I like to play local in these more up-close and personal types of games.

That's not to say I don't like Smash Brothers; I have Brawl and it's a really cool and fun game, but I rarely ever play it, as the only people who are ever over to my house usually would rather play something else.

If I do get one, though, it'll probably be for the Wii U so I can at least play some local every once in a blue moon.

(I just expressed like three of the four options... (both, neither, and Wii U only) :P)

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#45 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

Well- by the time it is released, it will be two years into the console's life cycle.  The Wii lasted 6-7 years, so you would have time to eventually pick it up.  This just seems like one of those games that you get if you got a Nintendo system.  

If money was no object, I'd definitely get both, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting either, sadly... My siblings are all girls without much interest in gaming, my parents are, well, parents, and my friends don't care too much for Smash Brothers. So I dunno if it'd be worth it for me to pay $60 for a game that I would probably only get a few hours (from the singleplayer mode) from. Online might extend that time a little, but not much... I like to play local in these more up-close and personal types of games.

That's not to say I don't like Smash Brothers; I have Brawl and it's a really cool and fun game, but I rarely ever play it, as the only people who are ever over to my house usually would rather play something else.

If I do get one, though, it'll probably be for the Wii U so I can at least play some local every once in a blue moon.

(I just expressed like three of the four options... (both, neither, and Wii U only) :P)

#46 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

I'm deffinetly pickin up both. Should be a lot of fun and hours forever lost.

#47 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:37 PM

I'll defenitly be picking up the WiiU version, if I have the money and there is a SSB - 3Ds XL bundle I'll be pickin that up aswell.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#48 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

seriously this is a question?

#49 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

Just wanted to say that the 3DS version had to come first no matter what.

I don't remember when or where I said it (probably to Mignaga iirc), but if they released the 3DS version with the Wii U version, it would've just been suicide for the 3DS version. I'm seeing so many swing picks to the 3DS just because it has priority.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#50 Kyle1503

Kyle1503

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • NNID:Kyle1503
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:56 AM

Wii U

#51 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

I just realized that the L button on my 3DS is broken, so this is actually going to be a mess for me. I sent it in once already, and I don't want to have to do it again.

Just send it in. My L button stopped working, and I waited. then my R button and I waited a little more.

Then my screen cracked, and cancelled my warranty. Now I'll have to pay for all of it.

this is why you learn competitive smash. replay value x100 :P

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#52 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

this is why you learn competitive smash. replay value x100 :P

Yeah, I should... Too much stuff to learn, though... e_o

#53 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

Just send it in. My L button stopped working, and I waited. then my R button and I waited a little more.
Then my screen cracked, and cancelled my warranty. Now I'll have to pay for all of it.

I really should, but I already sent in my Wii a while back and I'm not sure if my parents trust me with technology anymore. :P

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#54 CaiserZero

CaiserZero

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Mother

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

The 3DS version would have been slaughtered without separate release dates. I think the Smash direct gave us enough insight to prove they'll be distinct differences to warrant a purchase of both titles.

Will u both. Can't wait.

#55 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, I should... Too much stuff to learn, though... e_o

Eh, you really only need to know the stuff for your character, which doesn't take long to learn.

I really should, but I already sent in my Wii a while back and I'm not sure if my parents trust me with technology anymore. :P

It's a 6 (?) year old system. That's like 100 in human yeas.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#56 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

Eh, you really only need to know the stuff for your character, which doesn't take long to learn.

Well I pretty much know how to use Kirby (my main), but what about all that crazy stuff like teching, dash-dancing, edge guarding, meteor smashes, etc., etc.? Is that stuff not necessary for real competitive play?

#57 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Well I pretty much know how to use Kirby (my main), but what about all that crazy stuff like teching, dash-dancing, edge guarding, meteor smashes, etc., etc.? Is that stuff not necessary for real competitive play?

Teching I don't think that's a thing. I think it just means technical things, which is the stuff you listed (plus more obviously) (Oh wait cancel that, last minute edit, just remembered teching is something that's in most fighting games. Just allwos you to get up instantly from the ground rather than lying there (there are other more complicated types, but that's the basic definition)). Dash dancing is for lols and a little bit of mind game in melee. Not a necessity for sure. Even if it was it's not even tech. Here is the input for dash dance: 46 in quick succession and repeat edge guarding can be hecka fun. Just means stopping people from getting back on stage. Meteor smashes are what we called spikes before they had a name. they're simply moves that send someone directly down ward. main use is of stage obviously.

Honestly I literally just started by turning off items, turning off tap jump. Got used to that, then watched some combo videos (I'll post a good kirby one below (but you can pick up almost anyone you like. Trust me, you barely know kirby more than any other character :P)) and tried to do some of the combos in the video against some friends. Eventually I read the guide for a character i was maing a couple months later, but yeah, after that I was already pretty far above the average player.

My brother on the other hand, went hardcore, as he does with every game he's determined to be the best at. Spen a decent portion of our vacation reading every singel character's guide and watching endless combo videos. Then we got home and he would practice DACUS for hours. Pretty intense lol.

The videos

This one is pretty decent. Fairly simple to understand what he's doing. Also btw, 1:27 could be considered edge guarding

And I also wanted to post this one. My favourite combo vid of all time. Gets me hyped to play brawl erry time I watch it. It's 15 min, so I don't know if you can sit through it all, but it is MANDAORY you watch 5:47. Possibly the longest inescapable combo in brawl. 0 - death called the "Wargasm". You won't be able to appreciate or understand what they're doing probably (i have some trouble keeping track) but I think you can appreciate at least how long it is

Sorry, I hope that long post didn't scare you off.

I`m kind of extremely passionate about smash, and a little smash horny since my Wii`s gone bonkers.

Anyway even if this doesn't get you into competitive, I hope you`ll at least enjoy it or gain some appreciation for competitive players from it :)

EDIT: Got a couple minutes into the vid and just had to add: this stuff can look intimidating at first, especially the second vid, since the stuff in it just gets more and more advanced, but  I just have to say, when you pull things like this off, irl in the moment against someone. It is... It's BEYOND elation. It's a high that you chase, but know you can catch again. It's a feeling of pride, and astonishment at yourself. You get chills, and you naturally just get up and challenge the world, because at that moment you feel like you rule it. You get this big grin on your face and you just get so excited and your opponent lets you because they get it. Everyone who see it just gets it. There's a comradery in knowing that what just happened was something special, even if it cost you something. Honestly, every time you do something like that is comparable to scoring a game winning goal. I just. I can't really put it into words. Learning can be so frustrating at times. I'll admit it. But it SO pays off when your mind takes over like that, and something beautiful, something artistic like that just flows out of you completely naturally just as an extension of yourself, and your personality. As they say in the smash bros. documentary, you can learn SO MUCH from a person just from watching their smash game. While you play, it becomes a reflection of you. It's incredible, it's something everyone should experience and it's the reason I will defend and advocate for competitive smash until the day I'm six feet under.

Edited by WydrA, 11 April 2014 - 09:36 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#58 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

*Humongous post*

Wow.

Someone's passionate about Smash. xD

But seriously, those were some really cool videos. I guess I just thought Smash was a little more complicated than it actually is... I can tell what they're doing in those videos pretty well for the most part. Thanks for showing me those. :D

So is random online a good place for competitive Smash? I have a lot of fun when I do play it with other people... Maybe I should try some online. :)

Edited by MatrixChicken, 11 April 2014 - 10:12 PM.

#59 DANT3

DANT3

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

Adding to what Wydra said in a less detailed (holy dang his post is long) way, "teching" is just the Smash Bros. way referencing an Ukemi from a more traditional fighting game. Just press one of the shield buttons as you hit a surface and you "tech" on it. If you're holding the stick left or right when you hit the ground, you tech-roll in that direction, and if you press it up when you hit a wall, you tech off the wall into a little jump. I don't think you can do either of these things if you try to tech off a ceiling, but that doesn't happen very often anyway  :P .

As for techs and all the other advanced stuff being "necessary" for competitive play, it comes down moreso to how you play than anything else. I'm a really offence-based figher, so movement, pressure and going for quick, clean KOs are more valuable and "necessary" things to learn for me than faking out the opponent with dash-dances, having perfect edge guarding skills or off-stage defensive plays.

The more you experiment and mess around with different characters and different match-up scenarios, the more you'll find what works for you as a player.

#60 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:16 AM

I was most likely going to get both from the beginning. But I definitely would have taken the Wii U version over the 3DS version.

But now I'm certain I'll get both.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!