Photo

Get your hopes up about Zelda Wii U and Xenoblade X, but not too much (imo)

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

Lololol that's quite the encyclopedic answer. Sorry to disappoint but I did already understand what field of view is. It's the last part I'm specifically questioning. So yes, I think you're right. Although the example you gave with the bottles was perhaps slightly bad as it was focusing on the perspective due to distance, more than curvature which seems to be the main issue here?

So I guess that width of the ledge, that is already an incredibly speculative method in itself, will change slightly based on the fov. Do you have actual evidence that they're using 100 though? I really can't tell myself. I can tell that main Zelda preview is higher than Darksiders. It's very hard to tell from the recent preview footage though! I suppose it's possible to reverse engineer if you make some calculations in-game. I'm sure someone's into doing that.

#62 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

Darksiders is awesome.

#63 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

Darksiders is awesome.

I love Darksiders too. Heavily underappreciated series. Look at the Darksiders 2 sales on Wii U, they're abysmal. 

#64 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

Lololol that's quite the encyclopedic answer. Sorry to disappoint but I did already understand what field of view is. It's the last part I'm specifically questioning. So yes, I think you're right. Although the example you gave with the bottles was perhaps slightly bad as it was focusing on the perspective due to distance, more than curvature which seems to be the main issue here?
So I guess that width of the ledge, that is already an incredibly speculative method in itself, will change slightly based on the fov. Do you have actual evidence that they're using 100 though? I really can't tell myself. I can tell that main Zelda preview is higher than Darksiders. It's very hard to tell from the recent preview footage though! I suppose it's possible to reverse engineer if you make some calculations in-game. I'm sure someone's into doing that.

The example I posted was a curvature/perspective example. The distances between the bottles were all exactly the same. The only thing that changed was the fov, which means if you use the wrong fov in calculations for measuring distance using a the known height of an object (the bottle), your calculations will be off exponentially the more distance you try and measure.

In order to make any concrete measurements, you would actually need at least one, certified, official, measurement of a known object.

I cant tell exactly what the fov is, though I can tell its considerably greater than 60, which Nintendo used for Zelda until ww (gc ww). I am very good at identifying fov's with pc games, but thats because they are designed for 60 degree fov (thanks ps360), so when you slide it way past that to 120, you get some serious frustum/fish eye distortion, although you become a god and people think you have eyes in the back of your head. As long as you stay away from scopes.... (Why do so many studios have problems with this? Change the fov for scopes, they are scopes! Thats what they do!).

Here are my approximations on fov for 3d Zelda games

oot-ww 60 degrees
tp gc 60 degrees
tp wii- 80 degrees (I recall them being very pleased with this in an interview, perhaps an Iwata asks? or perhaps a lecture... The increase was simply do due to wideescreen support)
ss wii 60 degrees (I recall them being less than satisfied with this)
wwhd ==100 degrees (They were so pleased by the increased fov, that they actually bothered to rework the game a bit around it, like moving npc's)
Zelda U ==100 degrees

I know the original Xenoblade also had a fov of around 80 or 90, it doesnt seem to adjust well during gameplay when you zoom in, which made zooming in right on the characters and trying to play like that really awkward.

Although it is super fun to mess with on dolphin.

With the increased fov you can see where the game decides to clean up and draw, its pretty neat.
Except for the hud elements... ew, non-vector....

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#65 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

The example I posted was a curvature/perspective example. The distances between the bottles were all exactly the same. The only thing that changed was the fov, which means if you use the wrong fov in calculations for measuring distance using a the known height of an object (the bottle), your calculations will be off exponentially the more distance you try and measure.

In order to make any concrete measurements, you would actually need at least one, certified, official, measurement of a known object.

I cant tell exactly what the fov is, though I can tell its considerably greater than 60, which Nintendo used for Zelda until ww (gc ww). I am very good at identifying fov's with pc games, but thats because they are designed for 60 degree fov (thanks ps360), so when you slide it way past that to 120, you get some serious frustum/fish eye distortion, although you become a god and people think you have eyes in the back of your head. As long as you stay away from scopes.... (Why do so many studios have problems with this? Change the fov for scopes, they are scopes! Thats what they do!).

Here are my approximations on fov for 3d Zelda games

oot-ww 60 degrees
tp gc 60 degrees
tp wii- 80 degrees (I recall them being very pleased with this in an interview, perhaps an Iwata asks? or perhaps a lecture... The increase was simply do due to wideescreen support)
ss wii 60 degrees (I recall them being less than satisfied with this)
wwhd ==100 degrees (They were so pleased by the increased fov, that they actually bothered to rework the game a bit around it, like moving npc's)
Zelda U ==100 degrees

I know the original Xenoblade also had a fov of around 80 or 90, it doesnt seem to adjust well during gameplay when you zoom in, which made zooming in right on the characters and trying to play like that really awkward.

I would never have noticed they changed it with wind waker. You got any comparison shots or anything that demonstrate the difference?

Edited by MarcusT, 19 February 2015 - 08:51 PM.

#66 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:46 AM

I love Darksiders too. Heavily underappreciated series. Look at the Darksiders 2 sales on Wii U, they're abysmal. 

Of course the sales were bad :blink: . The game was already out months before on the other two consoles , not to mention those same consoles got the original. 

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#67 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

I would never have noticed they changed it with wind waker. You got any comparison shots or anything that demonstrate the difference?

maxresdefault.jpg

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#68 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

Dang, sometimes I feel like no one cares about making good games any more other than Ninty..

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#69 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:03 PM

Dang, sometimes I feel like no one cares about making good games any more other than Ninty..

Nintendo makes good games but seriously?

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#70 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

No. Plenty of amazing developers.

• CUD likes this

#71 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

I guess it's just the developers that get the most media coverage and buzz are the ones that I really hate the most, like activision and EA.. So it feels like there is no good devs. But yeah there is still Ninty and FromSoftware and IMO Bethesda although I know someone is gonna flame for me saying that (please don't).. And a couple other ones that I can't think of right now.  Still not that many.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#72 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

maxresdefault.jpg

Lol, that's awesome. Good job! They completely won me over with the excessive bloom in Wind Waker too. To start with it looked a bit much. But it does somehow look good when you're playing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!