• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

As we all know the wii was a huge success but was not made future proof which led to most people calling it a causal system as most things about it were outdated.

My question is do you all think nintendo will make the same mistake and release a console that wont last beyond 3-4 years.

in my opinion i think they will but theres still doubt in my mind after seeing that they still havent released anything spec info and havent shown how capable the system is though i guess e3 will tell us all just how powerful this console is.

#2 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Eh, people only called it casual because games like Just Dance and Raving Rabbids sold incredibly well on the system. Being a weaker console doesn't make it casual either because the Playstation2 was the weakest of its generation and still had all the games with the best value.

There's nothing really bad about the Wii being strongly associated with casuals.

#3 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

If Nintendo can grab enough third-party support, maintain hardware like the 360 and PS3 in the long-term and have an easy architecture for game developers, I believe they can survive in the upcoming years despite them releasing first out of the three.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#4 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

ps2 was hardly noticeable when it came to graphics the wii's graphics are pretty terrible there is just no defending that system when it comes to hardware and i dont mind it being called casual im just saying the limitations of the system stopped it from becoming something great and this led to the casual title as it barely received any noteworthy multiplat games

If Nintendo can grab enough third-party support, maintain hardware like the 360 and PS3 in the long-term and have an easy architecture for game developers, I believe they can survive in the upcoming years despite them releasing first out of the three.

hopefully the hardware is far beyond the 360/ps3

#5 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Were Wii graphics that bad? They're not in HD, but they aren't garbage. Games like Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword look great despite not being HD.

Anyway, the Wii U looks fine for now. The only real issue that's worrisome is a competant online service. Hopefully Nintendo Network is more than just a simple rebranding.

#6 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

they were "that" bad. graphics arent everything but they really make a difference.

#7 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

Well, if you want to be technical, All systems will only last "3-4 years" of being on top. Technology is always changing, always getting better. But I don't think so, right now we've hit a peak when it comes to graphics AND affordability.

There is always the chance that another company will make a bigger and better machine, but at what cost? Both Sony and Microsoft know that to do that they would have to do one of two things. The could either: 1. Do another $600 dollar machine, or 2. Sell it at a MAJOR loss.

Nither of these seem feasable, because they would lose too much money, and lets face it, gaming is a buisiness.

So now, I don't think the Wii U will be outmatched for a very long while.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#8 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

they were "that" bad. graphics arent everything but they really make a difference.

Boohoo, soooorrryyy the Wii's graphics weren't better than Avatar. o_o

Honestly, I don't see the problem with the Wii being more appealing to casuals. It had its fair share of hardcore games (MH Tri, Madworld, Conduit) and it was fine with me for...like 4 years. Just recently decided to get a PS3 for those games.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#9 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

there were only two things that held the wii back... graphics and online and the wii u makes up for both... so whats the argument now

Posted Image

#10 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Honestly, I don't see the problem with the Wii being more appealing to casuals. It had its fair share of hardcore games (MH Tri, Madworld, Conduit) and it was fine with me for...like 4 years. Just recently decided to get a PS3 for those games.

i wasnt expecting avatar graphics i was expecting xbox 360/ps3 graphics like most nintendo fans and this isnt a hardcore vs casual debate. but on that subject the point is i bought the wii to do the things my xbox 360 is capable of doing in which it couldnt do and still isnt able to do

there were only two things that held the wii back... graphics and online and the wii u makes up for both... so whats the argument now

the argument is whether the graphics or the online will even hold up in years to come. we know its able to do hd but how good are the graphics exactly and we know nothing about the online.

i just have a problem with blind faith so i want to know if its worth buying a wii u only to end up regretting it because the system isnt built to last(though i think theres poteintal)

Well, if you want to be technical, All systems will only last "3-4 years" of being on top. Technology is always changing, always getting better. But I don't think so, right now we've hit a peak when it comes to graphics AND affordability.

There is always the chance that another company will make a bigger and better machine, but at what cost? Both Sony and Microsoft know that to do that they would have to do one of two things. The could either: 1. Do another $600 dollar machine, or 2. Sell it at a MAJOR loss.

Nither of these seem feasable, because they would lose too much money, and lets face it, gaming is a buisiness.

So now, I don't think the Wii U will be outmatched for a very long while.

honestly all sony and microsoft has to do is wait out nintendo about one or two years then the tech will be affordable and they can beat out nintendo once again.No i dont see this happening but its a possiblity and im hoping nintendo has taken this into consideration.

btw we havent even come close to hitting a peak in graphics these consoles are really outdated compared to even modern day regular pc's

#11 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

i wasnt expecting avatar graphics i was expecting xbox 360/ps3 graphics like most nintendo fans and this isnt a hardcore vs casual debate. but on that subject the point is i bought the wii to do the things my xbox 360 is capable of doing in which it couldnt do and still isnt able to do

Why would you expect that from a console whose output is technically inferior to its competition? It's an SD console. The 360 and PS3 are HD consoles. Of course the visual differences would be noticeable.

I'm still baffled by the fact that you found Wii visuals outright bad.

Edited by Lain, 21 January 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#12 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Btw the smartass sarcastic comments arent neccessary

#13 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

btw we havent even come close to hitting a peak in graphics these consoles are really outdated compared to even modern day regular pc's

I said Graphics and Affordability.
You can have the best graphics in the world, but it won't mean jack if no one has the money to buy it, PS3's $600 price proved that.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#14 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Why would you expect that from a console whose output is technically inferior to its competition? It's an SD console. The 360 and PS3 are HD consoles. Of course the vidual differences would be noticeable.

I'm still baffled by the fact that you found Wii visuals outright bad.

im talking about before we knew the wii was just an sd console i thought nintendo would be smart enough to future proof the wii and have hd and great graphics and yea i found them outright bad before 2009 you couldnt name a single wii game that looked even remotely close to what the 360/ps3 offered at that time even if they were all on an sd tv.

And its not just the graphics the technical limitations of the console stoppped them from being able to make games like gta4 or skyrim or hell even ninety nine nights on the wii

I said Graphics and Affordability.
You can have the best graphics in the world, but it won't mean jack if no one has the money to buy it, PS3's $600 price proved that.

and the 360 proved that you could come extremly close to ps3 grahpics without the $600 price tag

#15 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

But We still have hit that peak, in about 5-6 years, the peak will move up, but for right now, it's stuck where it is.

EDIT: And technically, 360 was very inferior to the PS3, but because it had that 1 year to have the market, it made the rules for the generation.

Edited by Terrabyte20xx, 21 January 2012 - 09:17 PM.

Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#16 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

im talking about before we knew the wii was just an sd console i thought nintendo would be smart enough to future proof the wii and have hd and great graphics and yea i found them outright bad before 2009 you couldnt name a single wii game that looked even remotely close to what the 360/ps3 offered at that time even if they were all on an sd tv.

And its not just the graphics the technical limitations of the console stoppped them from being able to make games like gta4 or skyrim or hell even ninety nine nights on the wii

I'm fairly certain a lot of people knew it wasn't an HD console when it was officially announced. Ignorance of that is not an excuse.

And yeah, weaker hardware was a problem with the Wii. What exactly suggests that the Wii U is gonna be Wii weak again though?

#17 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

I'm fairly certain a lot of people knew it wasn't an HD console when it was officially announced. Ignorance of that is not an excuse.

And yeah, weaker hardware was a problem with the Wii. What exactly suggests that the Wii U is gonna be Wii weak again though?

once again when nintendo announced the wii theres was no solid info on the specs no one knew the wii was an sd console until the same year it dropped or a little before. it was ignorance the info wasnt there to begin. and to your second question clearly you havent read my original post or you wouldnt even need to ask that.

btw i dont think it will be weak im just optimistic on if it will be future proof so far the only tech demos they have shown are the bird demo which while impressive still isnt as amazing as i expected and the zelda hd demo which once again is about as impressive as crysis 2 on the 360 or gow3 on ps3 so im just unsure on which route nintendo will take when it comes to hardware this time around. though maybe im underestimating them a bit i just was really let down by the wii and how they took their approach with that console

But We still have hit that peak, in about 5-6 years, the peak will move up, but for right now, it's stuck where it is.

EDIT: And technically, 360 was very inferior to the PS3, but because it had that 1 year to have the market, it made the rules for the generation.

no we are stuck on cosoles pc's have moved past that peak it was surpassed a long time ago and that makes no sense what do you mean it made the rules for the generation

#18 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

once again when nintendo announced the wii theres was no solid info on the specs no one knew the wii was an sd console until the same year it dropped or a little before. it was ignorance the info wasnt there to begin. and to your second question clearly you havent read my original post or you wouldnt even need to ask that.

Dude, check out this article and scroll down to "Technical Specification." It clearly states that the video output is at 480p. Now look at the article's date - That's right, this information was available before the actual launch. That's what matters. If you didn't know about the console specifications beforehand, that's more or less your fault. Expecting HD output is not fair.

#19 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

no we are stuck on cosoles pc's have moved past that peak it was surpassed a long time ago and that makes no sense what do you mean it made the rules for the generation

For future reference almost all multiplats are first develop for the 360 and then ported. So it set the standards for visuals pretty much. Ohh and people honestly the current gen ps360 games are not running native 1080p there just 720p upscaled so theres still room to grow.

Posted Image

#20 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

Dude, check out this article and scroll down to "Technical Specification." It clearly states that the video output is at 480p. Now look at the article's date - That's right, this information was available before the actual launch. That's what matters. If you didn't know about the console specifications beforehand, that's more or less your fault. Expecting HD output is not fair.

lol that article is literally 2 weeks before the console released and i just said know one no of the sd resolution until the year it dropped how could you read past that you just quoted me saying it. im talking about when the wii was first announced not 2 weeks before it came out

For future reference almost all multiplats are first develop for the 360 and then ported. So it set the standards for visuals pretty much. Ohh and people honestly the current gen ps360 games are not running native 1080p there just 720p upscaled so theres still room to grow.

Yea its because the 360 is easier to develop for not because it came out a year before like terrabyte20xx was saying and thank you finally somebody understands that we havent even come close to a peak yet when current games like cod are only natively 720p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!