• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, but the point is that you didn't know it was SD, when in fact that information was available before launch. Why would you stick with your assumption and ignore the readily avaiable information when deciding to purchase the product?

#22 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Yeah, but the point is that you didn't know it was SD, when in fact that information was available before launch. Why would you stick with your assumption and ignore the readily avaiable information when deciding to purchase the product?

honestly because i was 13/14 and didnt understand that the wii was the most underpowered console ever made and fell into the "o it has motion control trap" like most kids my age did until about 2 years later i noticed that it was far inferior to my 360 and besides brawl and twilight princess there was no reason to own it. and also i didnt purchase it it was a gift

btw we are we beside the point here what makes you think the wii u will be future proof?

#23 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yea its because the 360 is easier to develop for not because it came out a year before like terrabyte20xx was saying and thank you finally somebody understands that we havent even come close to a peak yet when current games like cod are only natively 720p

I was in the mind set that devs had a year to get used to the platform which made it easier, which the wii u is in a similar boat with architecture similar to the xbox360... That doesn't mean specs wise... So devs will have more time to get used to the system before the others drop, which then they would use it as a baseline for ports. Also if devs like naughty dog are already topping out the ps3 at 720p I can't wait to see what happens when the wii u gets topped out!!!

Edited by Link707, 21 January 2012 - 10:27 PM.

Posted Image

#24 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hmm, you do make a point.

Assuming most consumers just entered the scene without any real idea of what they were purchasing, and already had an Xbox 360 or a PS3 in hand then they might be disappointed in the video output. I will give you that.

Personally though, I grew up with a Gamecube and PS2, so Wii never looked bad - It just never looked as good as the others. I'll get off this tangent though. What Wii U needs to last long are serious third party support to fill in the software gaps in between first party launches, a good variety of games that cover a very broad range of genres and appeal to different people, and a competent online service a la Xbox LIVE and PSN.

Third party support should be easier to gain if Nintendo is willing to spend money for them. The Wii U's architecture should be considerably better than the current HD consoles, allowing for up-ports from them, but also decent down-ports from future consoles. At least this way, multiplatforms become feasible.

The online component is the only part I find worrisome at this point in time, as I've stated back then. If Nintendo decides to implement the Communities feature into the OS like they initially planned with the 3DS, that would be tremendously great for the system. It doesn't hurt to also look at services like LIVE, to see what makes them great. Integrate a friends list, enable voice chat, and add some other features, and we should be set.

#25 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hmm, you do make a point.

Assuming most consumers just entered the scene without any real idea of what they were purchasing, and already had an Xbox 360 or a PS3 in hand then they might be disappointed in the video output. I will give you that.

Personally though, I grew up with a Gamecube and PS2, so Wii never looked bad - It just never looked as good as the others. I'll get off this tangent though. What Wii U needs to last long are serious third party support to fill in the software gaps in between first party launches, a good variety of games that cover a very broad range of genres and appeal to different people, and a competent online service a la Xbox LIVE and PSN.

Third party support should be easier to gain if Nintendo is willing to spend money for them. The Wii U's architecture should be considerably better than the current HD consoles, allowing for up-ports from them, but also decent down-ports from future consoles. At least this way, multiplatforms become feasible.

The online component is the only part I find worrisome at this point in time, as I've stated back then. If Nintendo decides to implement the Communities feature into the OS like they initially planned with the 3DS, that would be tremendously great for the system. It doesn't hurt to also look at services like LIVE, to see what makes them great. Integrate a friends list, enable voice chat, and add some other features, and we should be set.

There was a recent article like yesterday that was quoting an unknown source that said that the "nintendo network" will be on par or above psn/xboxlive and will incorporate features that have not been used by nintendo before, online wise, so we could have some of the things youve listed... do with that what you may... I dont necessarily know about the architecture but vigil games has stated that its easier than the ps3 and about on par with xbox 360 in terms of ease of development... So for a console thats not out yet and ones that have been out for 5-6 years, thats pretty outstanding.
I grew up with the... well ive had every console but no matter how far we have digressed into better graphics nothing beats old OOT, the game looks like crap but its fun to play, And you know what its fastest speed run lasts longer than the COD campain.. Pretty nice huh. Why dont we go back to the eras of gameplay and story development instead of shoot em up online

Posted Image

#26 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Anything is easier than PS3 lol

Wii U doesn't use Cell, does it? Well at this point, it doesn't matter that much.

#27 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:18 PM

Anything is easier than PS3 lol

Wii U doesn't use Cell, does it? Well at this point, it doesn't matter that much.

Noo, Wii u uses Power 7 based tech, in watson super comp.... cell was developed by sony for ps3

Posted Image

#28 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

Yeah, I knew that. Just wanted to bring up Cell since it was a major problem for the Playstation 3. I'm honestly wondering if Sony will take it up again with the Playstation 4.

#29 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:43 AM

im fully confident the wii u will last the full generation with full 3rd party support. why? because it looks like the wii u has had the greatest pre launch 3rd party support that any console has ever had, they love it, and they're clearly trying to create an install base that they can work with for the whole of the next generation, its really obvious by now that the wii u is powerful enough to last another 7-10 years.
Posted Image

#30 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, I knew that. Just wanted to bring up Cell since it was a major problem for the Playstation 3. I'm honestly wondering if Sony will take it up again with the Playstation 4.

If they didn't it would be stupid as they have spent hundreds of millions of dollars in developing it. Another question I have is if the ps4 wii use the hvd or stick with bluray. They developed both but bluerays alot easier to make now.

Posted Image

#31 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

im fully confident the wii u will last the full generation with full 3rd party support. why? because it looks like the wii u has had the greatest pre launch 3rd party support that any console has ever had, they love it, and they're clearly trying to create an install base that they can work with for the whole of the next generation, its really obvious by now that the wii u is powerful enough to last another 7-10 years.

yea well some would say thats how it looked for the 3ds remember al of those amazing games that were supposed to come out at launch? and we all know how that went

If they didn't it would be stupid as they have spent hundreds of millions of dollars in developing it. Another question I have is if the ps4 wii use the hvd or stick with bluray. They developed both but bluerays alot easier to make now.

yea im pretty sure they are going to stick with cell again and most likely keep bluray because we havent even had games cap out that disc yet

#32 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

People keep forgetting that the Wii was suped up GCN specs, and that if you consider how seccessful the Wii was then the GCN was future proof. The Wii U was designed from ground up to compete with the next gen hardware. However, if the PS4 comes out in 2016 or later (which I doubt) then of course the PS4 will be more powerful. But if the PS4 comes out in 2014 yes it will be more powerful but it won't matter. Why you ask? Because the Wii U will be able to handle next gen engines, the same the PS4 will be able to handle. And the only games that will take advantage of the extra hardware will be exclusives.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#33 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

I think that the Wii U will be future proof for some time. I agree it may not be too much more than 5 years though but it should hold up pretty well. I think that the only reason that the Wii was underpowered was that the GCN sales as we all know didnt work out the best so why put all this massive power into a counsel that may not sell too well? Well that is why I am guessing the Wii wasnt too powerful. Also I dont think that Sony is going to make any massive improvements on the PS3 because attempting to make another leap is just suicide. Microsoft I dont think will make an actual gaming counsel more of a entertainment system for things like watching movies or just something similar to Apple TV. And of course nothing is quite time proof and Nintendo will of course want to improve on their ideas. So honestly I think that the Wii U will be time proof enough.

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#34 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

yea i just want it to be future proof so we can have all the amazing multi platform games we missed out on. i dont want to have to own 2 consoles anymore just to play all the games i want(besides the exclusives)

#35 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

yea well some would say thats how it looked for the 3ds remember al of those amazing games that were supposed to come out at launch? and we all know how that went

good point, but thankfully these are completely different developers who are promising wii u titles than those who promised 3DS titles.
Posted Image

#36 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

good point, but thankfully these are completely different developers who are promising wii u titles than those who promised 3DS titles.

yep if they follow through then we can expect an amazing third party line up for launch

#37 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

yep if they follow through then we can expect an amazing third party line up for launch

absolutely :D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!