50 replies to this topic

#1 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

http://forum.beyond3...8&postcount=406

"Final devkits are out, and rumor has it they differ quite a bit from earlier kits. Supposedly more powerful than anticipated, too."

I know there's the other topic but I want to make sure people can see this just in case they don't read the other topic.

Anyway, I really hope this is true, if the final dev kits are more powerful then anyone thought they where going to be this is great news:D.

#2 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

Well more powerful is always good I suppose. Of course we never really had any true idea about how powerful the system was in the first place. I can't wait until we get some actual information about the system. Actually, I don't really care about the information, just give me the system.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#3 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

Let's put this into context before we start going anywhere.

By "supposedly more powerful than anticipated," what does this mean? Do we know of what the initial expectations were? Was this actually impressive to developers? This is good news (I suppose), but better if developers had decenet expectations to begin with.

#4 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Let's put this into context before we start going anywhere.

By "supposedly more powerful than anticipated," what does this mean? Do we know of what the initial expectations were? Was this actually impressive to developers? This is good news (I suppose), but better if developers had decenet expectations to begin with.

Well, if Crytek was very pleased with the early dev kits, then I imagine that this must be a rather large step up.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#5 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

That's more or less what I'm thinking. Hopefully the investor's briefing this upcoming Wednesday/Thursday reveals something interesting about Wii U.

#6 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

Unless we know how powerful the devs were intending it to be, then this isn't really going to help in our ideas on how powerful the Wii U is.
Still, no doubt it would be a strong piece of hardware. I just wish Nintendo would be more specific; knowing them, it'll be all hush until we open it up ourselves.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#7 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

I was honestly just trying to dumb it down so that any potential overhype would be mitigated. Most developers had stated that the Wii U was noticeably more powerful than the current generation's consoles, before it was officially revealed in last year's E3. So yeah, we can safely assume that the Wii U isn't simply catching up to the PS3 and the Xbox 360, but surpassing them by a really good degree.

#8 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:24 AM

This is very good news. Nintendo might actually get it right the first time around. Now I need them to make sure the 3rd party games are there.

#9 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

I hope it is a lot more powerful than anticipated! That would be so cool! Of course it doesn't matter. In the end it's the quality , not power, that counts. I just hope to see Nintendo blow away the gaming market with this console.

Edited by GameCube, 23 January 2012 - 08:01 AM.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#10 CaptainFalco311

CaptainFalco311

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound/Mother, Metroid, Zelda

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

That's good news. Nintendo needs to future-proof the Wii U both as economically and appealingly as possible.

#11 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

A tad off-topic, but out of curiosity, where does "future-proof" come from? This is the only forum I know that even uses the phrase.

#12 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

I see this as good news, and now I can't wait to find out what games will be annouced at E3!
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#13 SleepyGuyy

SleepyGuyy

Blooper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Fandom:
    DOUBLE CHEESE BURGER WENDY'S

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

From what ive seen, developers where describing it as something on par with the other two systems (Xbox360 and PS3), they seemed to expect this (based on all the e3 interviews and whatnot). But they now say "more powerful than anticipated", giving me the impression that it is above and beyong the Xbox360 & PS3...... possibly so that it can stream,display, and present sound through the controler. Although im not sure, the power could be to make the multiple controlers and some basic concept stuff possible for the system, nothing surprising. But ive been wrong before.... many mant times.
Posted Image

#14 mootap

mootap

Blooper

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

I dont know why people associate that Nintendo has weak consoles.It was only in the 7th generation that a nintendo console was weaker than it's competitors so I am not really surprised if all this rumour is true about the wii U's power capabilities.Anyways it's nice to hear,hopefully developers might actually use it in launch instead of simple ports
Posted Image

#15 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

From what ive seen, developers where describing it as something on par with the other two systems (Xbox360 and PS3), they seemed to expect this (based on all the e3 interviews and whatnot). But they now say "more powerful than anticipated", giving me the impression that it is above and beyong the Xbox360 & PS3...... possibly so that it can stream,display, and present sound through the controler. Although im not sure, the power could be to make the multiple controlers and some basic concept stuff possible for the system, nothing surprising. But ive been wrong before.... many mant times.

The Wii U is much more powerful then the 360/PS3, the 360/PS3 where released in 2005/2006 and they are not that powerful compared to today's technology,the Wii U will be competing with the 720/PS4 NOT the 360/PS3.

I dont know why people associate that Nintendo has weak consoles.It was only in the 7th generation that a nintendo console was weaker than it's competitors so I am not really surprised if all this rumour is true about the wii U's power capabilities.Anyways it's nice to hear,hopefully developers might actually use it in launch instead of simple ports

^This

Edited by Meelow100, 23 January 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#16 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

I don't think anyone's actually said the Wii U would be weak, per se.

But it's very much true that many people assume the Wii U will be weak based on what they did with this generation with the Wii. Pretty shallow reasoning, I know, but that is a reality (and I used to face it a lot on the 3DS forums). We kinda just have to deal with that, and correct them the best we can. That said, we do know that Nintendo wants to keep the Wii U small. We've also heard Iwata's statements concerning the directions they want to go with on the Wii U.

#17 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

I hope this is true. I am sure it has been stated before, but the Wii was the ONLY time a Nintedno platform didn't match its competition in specs. While this rumor may also mean a higher price tag you know what they say...cheaper isn't always better. You have to be willing to pay for quality.

#18 Turboblaze

Turboblaze

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, MLP: FiM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Good to hear- I'm sure its final power will be more than we think.

#19 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

A tad off-topic, but out of curiosity, where does "future-proof" come from? This is the only forum I know that even uses the phrase.

im not sure where it comes from but its usually assocciated with technological devices that are supposed to last over a long period of time

exactly they usually have powerful devices.. i think its just because of how bad the wii was in terms of power

I hope this is true. I am sure it has been stated before, but the Wii was the ONLY time a Nintedno platform didn't match its competition in specs. While this rumor may also mean a higher price tag you know what they say...cheaper isn't always better. You have to be willing to pay for quality.

WRONG the Psp and Vita would like to have a word with you sir

#20 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

WRONG the Psp and Vita would like to have a word with you sir

Eh.

The DS certainly doesn't have the power of the PSP, but unlike the Gamecube to Wii transition, there's an actual generational bump between the GBA and the DS. Same goes for the DS to 3DS bump. People like to bring out the Wii because it couldn't handle downports. The DS and 3DS most likely can for a lot of games. Anyway, if the generational bump between the DS and the 3DS wasn't even a tad noticeable, I don't think the problem there has anything to do with Nintendo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!