46 replies to this topic

#21 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

well here we are people the time has come where i think i can declare that nintendo has another winner on there hands i cant wait for the wii u.

btw if one thing is needed its dx11 i cant stress this enough we NEED IT

Agreed. I'm skeptical though because the Radeon RV700 architecture cards only support DX10.1 while the 6670 supports 11. That alone could leave the Wii U in the dust again and nintendo will have another Gamecube on their hands.

But it is supposedly a customized card based off of the Radeon 4xxx series, so maybe they can add in DX11 support.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#22 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

i think they will be smart enough to go all out on this console and at least support dx11 plus who knows maybe its highly customize remember its based off that series but who knows how much they changed it. hopefully its drastically different in the good way

#23 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

i think they will be smart enough to go all out on this console and at least support dx11 plus who knows maybe its highly customize remember its based off that series but who knows how much they changed it. hopefully its drastically different in the good way

The Shader Model is not as high as the 6670 so nintendo needs two things for sure from it's GPU, DX11 and SM5.0

I think for sure the card will be 40nm instead of the 55nm because Nintendo likes small components that dont generate alot of heat.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#24 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:10 AM

Right there's a few things that are needed to help this move along.

1. Consoles don't use PC graphics card, only GPU's based on their tech, they end up being completely different and essentially more powerful.
2. DirectX is only used in Microsoft Products such as Windows and the Xbox brand (which was originally called Project DirectXbox) every other competitor uses their own developed API engine to make full use of the hardware, so it doesn't matter about DX11 and Shader Model 5.0, the Wii itself didn't even use shaders, it used TEVs, the Wii U will use shaders but in it's own way.
3. The Wii U could always add new tech, just because early dev kits were based off of the R770, doesn't mean they are now, and even then, they still had stuff like Hardware Tesselation, also Nintendo has said that the machine can do SterioScopic 3D, which the 4800 series can't do.

Edited by Stuart Lawrence, 25 January 2012 - 05:11 AM.

#25 Rubix87

Rubix87

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda, mario, radical dreamers, metroid,

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

6670 also supports DirectX11 and uses a more sophisticated shader model (something that held back the Wii greatly, not just the fact it wasn't HD). But the 4870 can do more processing at once, fill in more pixels quickly, do things faster and let's not forget the 4870 will be customized to be smaller and produce less heat and use up less energy (probably around 40nm instead of the 55nm), and they may add DirectX11 support. But if you do a straight comparison, the 4870 wins in many benchmarks.

My source:
4870 = 1741 G3D Mark
6670 = 1227 G3D Mark
(Higher Number is better)

http://www.videocard...=Radeon+HD+4870
http://www.videocard...=Radeon+HD+6670

As you can see in the link below, no matter how much VRAM Nintendo dedicates to the 4850 or 4870 (either 512MB or 1GB). The 512MB 4850is most likely if also have 1GB of regular RAM

Ignore the GTX 295, that's my own video card and I got curious :P

http://www.graphicsc...om/page/compare

Also ignore the orange and red bars, you have to include 8 video cards so i just chose randomly. Focus on the 6670 and up (yellow and green)

EDIT: Can't post the pics. Use the website yourselves. Compare the video cards it gives you expected performance % it's awesome.

Even the lowest end 4850 is said to outperform the 6670 by 10.6% (that's the cheapest possible Rv700 card Nintendo could use.)
The mid-range RV700 card the 4870 512GB outperforms the 6670 by 39.4%
The upper-mid range card 4850 1GB outperforms the 6670 by 15.6%
The highest RV700 card the 4870 1GB outperforms the 6670 by 44.3%

Thank you for providing an explanation to this these chip sets. I'm a nurse so when I read tech talk it's like a foreign language to me, but I do think it's nice that there was an explanation provided so that novices like myself can understand. If you want to know anything about diverticulitis then I'm your woman, but that's another whole thread, and I'm getting off subject lol! Anyway quick question, would a shared cpu and gpu be considered better than one with its own particular core?

Edited by Rubix87, 25 January 2012 - 06:16 AM.

#26 SSJ3_broly

SSJ3_broly

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:13 AM

according to this video (assuming the rumors are true) the WII U is actually about twice as strong as the 720

so that would mean the WII U is 11-12 times stronger then the 360

#27 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

Guys I'm so excited about this console. I can't wait! Nintendo is once again about to become king of
Consoles. They are going to trump the others this upcoming gen. People tend to forget about how talented the devs are at Nintendo. The young guns are about to make a name for themselves this upcoming gen. Just remember I said it here first when they start winning back to back GOTY awards.

#28 Rubix87

Rubix87

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

according to this video (assuming the rumors are true) the WII U is actually about twice as strong as the 720
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Zu94rXtlao8

Thanks for the video it was very informative.

#29 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Zu94rXtlao8

If the Wii U is 2x more powerful then the Xbox 720 then I wonder what the haters would say, you know when they said "When the 720/PS4 come out it will destory the Wii U in power" but if IGN and the guy are right then I guess the haters where fooled.

#30 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:29 AM

Right there's a few things that are needed to help this move along.

1. Consoles don't use PC graphics card, only GPU's based on their tech, they end up being completely different and essentially more powerful.
2. DirectX is only used in Microsoft Products such as Windows and the Xbox brand (which was originally called Project DirectXbox) every other competitor uses their own developed API engine to make full use of the hardware, so it doesn't matter about DX11 and Shader Model 5.0, the Wii itself didn't even use shaders, it used TEVs, the Wii U will use shaders but in it's own way.
3. The Wii U could always add new tech, just because early dev kits were based off of the R770, doesn't mean they are now, and even then, they still had stuff like Hardware Tesselation, also Nintendo has said that the machine can do SterioScopic 3D, which the 4800 series can't do.

You basically have it here, ATI has been putting tesslation hardware into their GPUs since what feels like the beginning of time, even the 360 has tesselation hardware the PS3 doesn't! Also, Shader Model 5.0 will matter, only the lack of DirectX 11 support, which is useless anyway, since all DX11 did was standardize tesslation units, and standardize GPGPU (General Purpose Graphics Processing Unit... More on that later ;) ) also, just like there was nothing stopping the PS3 from displaying 3D, there really wasn't anything stopping the WiiU to begin with either...

Anyway quick question, would a shared cpu and gpu be considered better than one with its own particular core?

Not at all, current implementations of this idea from both Intel and AMD are rather slow in graphics performance, the only benefit is faster access to the CPU, Memory Controller, and Northbridge, which is then useless due to the lower power and smaller GPU that must be used to prevent heat issues and making production costs too high.

6670 also supports DirectX11 and uses a more sophisticated shader model (something that held back the Wii greatly, not just the fact it wasn't HD). But the 4870 can do more processing at once, fill in more pixels quickly, do things faster and let's not forget the 4870 will be customized to be smaller and produce less heat and use up less energy (probably around 40nm instead of the 55nm), and they may add DirectX11 support. But if you do a straight comparison, the 4870 wins in many benchmarks.

My source:
4870 = 1741 G3D Mark
6670 = 1227 G3D Mark
(Higher Number is better)

http://www.videocard...=Radeon+HD+4870
http://www.videocard...=Radeon+HD+6670

As you can see in the link below, no matter how much VRAM Nintendo dedicates to the 4850 or 4870 (either 512MB or 1GB). The 512MB 4850is most likely if also have 1GB of regular RAM

Ignore the GTX 295, that's my own video card and I got curious :P

http://www.graphicsc...om/page/compare

Also ignore the orange and red bars, you have to include 8 video cards so i just chose randomly. Focus on the 6670 and up (yellow and green)

EDIT: Can't post the pics. Use the website yourselves. Compare the video cards it gives you expected performance % it's awesome.

Even the lowest end 4850 is said to outperform the 6670 by 10.6% (that's the cheapest possible Rv700 card Nintendo could use.)
The mid-range RV700 card the 4870 512GB outperforms the 6670 by 39.4%
The upper-mid range card 4850 1GB outperforms the 6670 by 15.6%
The highest RV700 card the 4870 1GB outperforms the 6670 by 44.3%

This is the most consise and accurate description of the difference I have seen.

On an off-topic note, this next gen we will have something no console before has had, namely ARM-9 based GPUs which have been around since 2006, offered the best performance boost in GPU history... and best of all made massively parallel processing viable on a desktop PC, on a GPU at at that! I'm interested in seeing what developers have planned to do with these... (Better AI? Really awesome physics simulation?)

Edited by Dant, 25 January 2012 - 07:30 AM.

#31 Rubix87

Rubix87

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

You basically have it here, ATI has been putting tesslation hardware into their GPUs since what feels like the beginning of time, even the 360 has tesselation hardware the PS3 doesn't! Also, Shader Model 5.0 will matter, only the lack of DirectX 11 support, which is useless anyway, since all DX11 did was standardize tesslation units, and standardize GPGPU (General Purpose Graphics Processing Unit... More on that later ;) ) also, just like there was nothing stopping the PS3 from displaying 3D, there really wasn't anything stopping the WiiU to begin with either...

Not at all, current implementations of this idea from both Intel and AMD are rather slow in graphics performance, the only benefit is faster access to the CPU, Memory Controller, and Northbridge, which is then useless due to the lower power and smaller GPU that must be used to prevent heat issues and making production costs too high.

This is the most consise and accurate description of the difference I have seen.

On an off-topic note, this next gen we will have something no console before has had, namely ARM-9 based GPUs which have been around since 2006, offered the best performance boost in GPU history... and best of all made massively parallel processing viable on a desktop PC, on a GPU at at that! I'm interested in seeing what developers have planned to do with these... (Better AI? Really awesome physics simulation?)

Thanks for the info!

#32 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

sorry just realised i posted something that has already been posted on this topic, cant delete my post, so just ignore this message

Edited by Crackkat, 25 January 2012 - 08:04 AM.

Posted Image

#33 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Sorry I'm late to the discussion,. THIS IS AWESOME!!!! I am so hyped, especially because the Wii U's GPU is going to be superior to the Nextbox. I so hope these rumors are true
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#34 mootap

mootap

Blooper

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Nice..Competion's gonna be fun this gen
Well we really dont know specs about either system yet to actually make any judgement...Plus considering the fact that Nintendo purposely didnn't talk much about the console itself makes me think they have some tricks up thier sleeves..
I am prob not gonna get the nexbox since it's likely to be all Kinect and carp
Posted Image

#35 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

I also hear that Microsoft is planning on implementing some kind of block against used games on the Xbox 720 too. Depending on what Nintendo thinks about this, they could end up gaining a LOT of support from both gamers and retailers that rely on used game sales in the coming years.

Either way, it just seems like the Xbox 720 is becoming less and less desirable the more I hear about it. And the exact opposite for the Wii U... :D

Posted Image

#36 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

Could you link to the source?
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#37 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Could you link to the source?

http://uk.gamespot.c...-report-6349165

Posted Image

#38 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Thanks!
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#39 StarFoxWiiU1

StarFoxWiiU1

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

People here are stupid the ATI Radeon HD 4870 (Wii U's rumored card) vs the AMD Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 (720's rumored card) the ATI Radeon HD 4870 destroys it with better flops, pixel rates, etc Wii U is 20% more powerful than 720. If you know how to talk about tech.

#40 Cobiwan

Cobiwan

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

People here are stupid the ATI Radeon HD 4870 (Wii U's rumored card) vs the AMD Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 (720's rumored card) the ATI Radeon HD 4870 destroys it with better flops, pixel rates, etc Wii U is 20% more powerful than 720. If you know how to talk about tech.

This is what we were talking about throughout the whole thread. :l
It's like 50%+ more powerful than the 720's gpu.

Edited by Cobiwan, 25 January 2012 - 02:38 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!