Photo

I think there's a handheld better then the 3DS.

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you swayed by the PSVita? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you swayed by the PSVita?

1. Yes (7 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. No (35 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

3. Not sure (7 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 rob_shadows

rob_shadows

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

No new IP's you say?
Steel Diver
Nintendogs
Xenoblades
The Last Story
Endless Ocean

All ones that come to mind immediatly as new games in the last 5-6 years

As Wertville stated multiple games you just mentioned were not Nintendo 1st party titles.

Xenoblades and The Last Story weren't developed by Nintendo.
I have no idea about endless ocean.

Anyway, it's not nearly as easy as it seems to make a new IP. I think one from Miyamoto per generation should be enough, and the Wii games were, IMO, quality enough to be included.

It's pretty easy for someone like Miyamoto to make a new IP actually, the word "No" doesn't exist when developers like him approach someone with an idea. His name alone assures that he can do pretty much anything he wants and that goes for all the "Legendary" developers in the gaming industry. I have to completely disagree with his IPs for the Wii generation being of any quality, the only three games that were new IPs that Miyamoto was involved in for the Wii were Wii Sports, Wii fit and Wii Music, none of which I personally found appealing. Wii Sports was okay but was a bit annoying because of the Wii's sub par motion controls at the time. Wii Sports Resort was an improvement with Wii Motion Plus but Miyamoto wasn't involved in that game.

#62 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

As Wertville stated multiple games you just mentioned were not Nintendo 1st party titles.

It's pretty easy for someone like Miyamoto to make a new IP actually, the word "No" doesn't exist when developers like him approach someone with an idea. His name alone assures that he can do pretty much anything he wants and that goes for all the "Legendary" developers in the gaming industry. I have to completely disagree with his IPs for the Wii generation being of any quality, the only three games that were new IPs that Miyamoto was involved in for the Wii were Wii Sports, Wii fit and Wii Music, none of which I personally found appealing. Wii Sports was okay but was a bit annoying because of the Wii's sub par motion controls at the time. Wii Sports Resort was an improvement with Wii Motion Plus but Miyamoto wasn't involved in that game.

I haven't played Wii Music, but WIi sports basically sold the Wii, and Wii fit has a few decent games on it. It's not his best work, but you can't say it didn't do exactly what Nintendo intended.

As for the 'Legends can do anything' thing... Well, he might be able to do anything, but he first has to come up with the idea, and then they have to produce the game to a demo-able state. That could take 3 years, depending on how easily he gets inspired. That would be around 1.5 new IPs per generation. Plus he also has to work on the old IPs as well, to meet the fanbase. I believe he's been working on Mario, Starfox, Pikmin AND Zelda? If there is a new IP next year, it's amazing that he had the time to write up a lofty design document... Wish I had his organizational skills...
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#63 Ruthie

Ruthie

Blooper

• Writers
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Ratchet

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

Pandora's Tower is a pretty new Nintendo IP only just been released in Japan, looks pretty promising.
Assistant Writer of Wii U Go and Vita/3DS enthusiast.

#64 MagmaBeatles

MagmaBeatles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Fandom:
    Shin Megami Tensei, Zelda and Metroid

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

Pandora's Tower is a pretty new Nintendo IP only just been released in Japan, looks pretty promising.

Pandora's Tower was developed by Ganbarion, not necessarily Nintendo. Nintendo DID publish it, though.

Edited by MagmaBeatles, 15 June 2011 - 01:06 PM.

#65 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

I have no interest in the PSVita whatsoever, to be honest.

#66 rob_shadows

rob_shadows

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:01 AM

I haven't played Wii Music, but WIi sports basically sold the Wii, and Wii fit has a few decent games on it. It's not his best work, but you can't say it didn't do exactly what Nintendo intended.

As for the 'Legends can do anything' thing... Well, he might be able to do anything, but he first has to come up with the idea, and then they have to produce the game to a demo-able state. That could take 3 years, depending on how easily he gets inspired. That would be around 1.5 new IPs per generation. Plus he also has to work on the old IPs as well, to meet the fanbase. I believe he's been working on Mario, Starfox, Pikmin AND Zelda? If there is a new IP next year, it's amazing that he had the time to write up a lofty design document... Wish I had his organizational skills..

It's not at all uncommon for developers to handle more than one title at once, you have to remember that guys like Miyamoto come up with the ideas and oversee the projects, they don't actually have to do much of the labor in programming, visual design, etc...Miyamoto usually has the role as the "Producer" or "Director" in most games and in reality many of the games (even IPs he created) aren't actually created by him (as far as story and such). His job is to give people a clear picture of what to do, then make sure they are doing it. Because of that he (like many video game Directors or Producers) will work on multiple titles at a time checking progress on each periodically.

The thing I've always found odd about Miyamoto is that he's been creating games for over 30 years and yet he himself isn't actually a gamer, and he's regularly stated he rarely plays video games.

#67 GunGoomba

GunGoomba

Friend of Bulbmins

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, Mario, Peach, Zelda. Yoshi

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:08 AM

The Vita looks boring to me. I like the idea of the 3DS Better. Besides, Nintendo already did touch screen with the DS.
Posted Image

#68 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

The PSV has got nothing to excite. Nothing I've seen contains any kind of charm at all, and that's what you want in portable game devices. Think about it, the portable market is different from the home console market, something Sony hasn't latched on to yet, because it's the same as the PS3 it doesn't need to exist or the PS3 doesn't need to exist. Why don't Sony just release their ultra-powerful tablet yet? They appear to be making strides towards it with the Playstation phone and the Vita. And that is why people aren't very interested in the Vita, It offers exactly the same gameplay as it's (cheaper) home console counterpart, making it useless.
Bring the noise.

#69 MagmaBeatles

MagmaBeatles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Fandom:
    Shin Megami Tensei, Zelda and Metroid

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

It's not at all uncommon for developers to handle more than one title at once, you have to remember that guys like Miyamoto come up with the ideas and oversee the projects, they don't actually have to do much of the labor in programming, visual design, etc...Miyamoto usually has the role as the "Producer" or "Director" in most games and in reality many of the games (even IPs he created) aren't actually created by him (as far as story and such). His job is to give people a clear picture of what to do, then make sure they are doing it. Because of that he (like many video game Directors or Producers) will work on multiple titles at a time checking progress on each periodically.

The thing I've always found odd about Miyamoto is that he's been creating games for over 30 years and yet he himself isn't actually a gamer, and he's regularly stated he rarely plays video games.

So? You don't have to play games very much to know how to develop them. It's kind of like with sports commentators. None of them play the sport, but they have a lot of knowledge about it.

#70 rob_shadows

rob_shadows

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

The PSV has got nothing to excite. Nothing I've seen contains any kind of charm at all, and that's what you want in portable game devices. Think about it, the portable market is different from the home console market, something Sony hasn't latched on to yet, because it's the same as the PS3 it doesn't need to exist or the PS3 doesn't need to exist. Why don't Sony just release their ultra-powerful tablet yet? They appear to be making strides towards it with the Playstation phone and the Vita. And that is why people aren't very interested in the Vita, It offers exactly the same gameplay as it's (cheaper) home console counterpart, making it useless.

Actually the ironic part about that post is....they really are coming out with tablets, two models actually, lol.

People like you seem to forget that Sony is a massive corporation, Nintendo is tiny compared to them. Sony has their hands in literally every form of media and entertainment on this planet, from home appliances to computers to video games to producing movies and music. Of course they are going to have phones, tablets, etc...

Comparing Nintendo to Sony would be like comparing your local mom and pop restaurant to a massive chain restaurant like McDonald's, it's only natural that they would have a whole host of products.

#71 MaskMidget

MaskMidget

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Smash Bros., FUNimation

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

The Vita looks boring to me. I like the idea of the 3DS Better. Besides, Nintendo already did touch screen with the DS.

Well yeah, the Vita is just a PSP with dual analog sticks and a touchscreen. Nothing good about IT rather than the games (the games do look awesome).
Posted Image

This signature contains one word: LOL

#72 SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Fandom:
    NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, Wii, 3DS, Wii U

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:29 PM

I have no plans to buy a PS Vita.
No signature here....