Photo

Next Xbox to have no optical disc drive?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclusive-no-disc-drive-for-next-xbox/092534

MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.

The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.

Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed. What is less clear, however, is the intended timing of Microsoft’s announcement.

As revealed by MCV earlier this year, an E3 2012 reveal could still very much be on the cards.

The omission of a disc drive signifies the beginning of a new era for games consoles and represents a potentially savage blow to the already beleaguered video games retail sector.

Of course, retailers will tell you that they are already involved in the digital market. Indeed, GAME is enjoying growing revenue from the sale of digital download cards for digital-only titles and DLC.

Nonetheless, the abolition of physical games is bad news for retail however it is spun. With the Next Xbox positioned as a digital centric platform, the relevance of retail will once once again eroded.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft said that it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

I'd be shocked if Microsoft did this, what do you think?.

#2 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

Seems likely that the Xbox 720 will go digital download only. Not only would it cut costs for Microsoft and developers, it'd also allow them to easily get away with the whole "no used games" fiasco. I guess I wouldn't be too happy about this, but then I doubt I'm getting the next Xbox anyway.

Posted Image

#3 Zebra

Zebra

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Cave Story

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

I'm glad Nintendo doesn't do stuff like this...

#4 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

This would be a horrible idea. Anybody remember the PSP Go? That's what I thought.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

Not having an optical disc drive is not the same as digital distribution only.
Silly MVC spelling gloom and doom for an already doomed industry.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I'm am glad we know there is a disc drive on the Wii U. Small games are fine to download, but the real thing, I prefer to have physical copies of them. And while it may save money on MS, we wouldn't. They would still charge a decent amount of money for the games, plus we would have to buy the storage they put the games on. (Unless they let you use your own hard drive, it would be very expensive.)

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#7 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

From what I get out of this the system could actually be using a cartidge like meduim for hard copies of games, that is if it the rumor is true and I am correct about it. This could be good or bad thing as there are benefits for using cartidge storage for games such as faster loading times, but this could put them in the situation similar to the Nintendo 64 where the cartidges were expensive for developers to make use of the full power of the system, depending on how Microsoft does it.

So right now I will wait and see if this is true, false, or just part of the big picture.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#8 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

I heard that they were going to use Solid State Flash Media, or something like that. With flash, it's smaller, meaning smaller packaging, lower costs for consumers = better sales. It would be good for all of us.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#9 SleepyGuyy

SleepyGuyy

Blooper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Fandom:
    DOUBLE CHEESE BURGER WENDY'S

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

If they DO use an "interchangable solid state" format... then retailers could technically sell those, as they do for the PSVita and i suppose the R4 cards the 3DS uses are just another type of memory card, still the same. And when you look at it more... so is a disk. So they might not destroy retailers, but then again with this format it is expected that all games will be downloadable too (like the PSv). Hmmm, well i kinda expected this from Microsoft, they see something and think "aah, the future of gaming!" (e.g.: Online network for home consoles) so they'd do anything blind. Sure the online was a great idea, but this one destroys physical copies & therefore gaming friendships, i cannot come to a party with an awesome neXbox game that i'd like to play with friends, because the memory format is tied to my console. Im sure after this the Xboxs will be installed into your house so you can't bring them to other people's houses, and then you'll have to scan your eye and prove you're the owner to be able to play games. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING. But anyway, i can see Microsoft doing this... then Sony copying them, then Nintendo being yelled at for not copying them. Oh well, hopefully Nintendo and Sony don't try this format with home consoles. AS Sony already does it with their mobile device. .... i like my 3ds just a little bit more now.
Posted Image

#10 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

POPULAR

What an epic comeback !
Posted Image

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

#11 mootap

mootap

Blooper

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

What will happen to preorder bundles and special art books etc..Plus not everyone has a internet connection..
If they do put it on digital only the games better be cheaper
Posted Image

#12 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Well I dont see how this works because like Mootap said not everyone has internet. But at least they are doing something new, wether it is for the better or the worse I am just glad they arent copying Nintendo.

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#13 Agent000

Agent000

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Well I dont see how this works because like Mootap said not everyone has internet. But at least they are doing something new, wether it is for the better or the worse I am just glad they arent copying Nintendo.

Well, they ARE piggybacking Nintendo's tablet controller idea, but that may prove to be advantageous for the Wii U, since more developers will utilize the 2nd screen when they know that more than one console will have it.
Agent000 on Youtube:
BreakfastBAGELL
Porcellusstudios

"E3, Y U NO COME NOW?"

#14 The Last Mellon

The Last Mellon

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

http://www.mcvuk.com...ext-xbox/092534
Sorry if wrong section

MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.
The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.
Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.
Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed. What is less clear, however, is the intended timing of Microsoft’s announcement.
As revealed by MCV earlier this year, an E3 2012 reveal could still very much be on the cards.
The omission of a disc drive signifies the beginning of a new era for games consoles and represents a potentially savage blow to the already beleaguered video games retail sector.
Of course, retailers will tell you that they are already involved in the digital market. Indeed, GAME is enjoying growing revenue from the sale of digital download cards for digital-only titles and DLC.
Nonetheless, the abolition of physical games is bad news for retail however it is spun. With the Next Xbox positioned as a digital centric platform, the relevance of retail will once once again eroded.
When contacted by MCV Microsoft said that it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

Good or bad idea????? And what if you don't have internet to download games? If the games are not on SD/usb slick like device?

Edited by The Last Mellon, 09 March 2012 - 08:04 PM.

Posted Image

#15 hooky

hooky

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

http://thewiiu.com/t...-for-next-xbox/

Also, wrong section.

#16 The Last Mellon

The Last Mellon

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

oh wups :(
how can you delete
Posted Image

#17 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Ohh please, no....

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#18 Zok

Zok

Spiny

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

*thinks about PSP Go*
*shudders*

#19 Holloweaver

Holloweaver

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Fandom:
    Buck Bumble - and many more... ;)

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

i still like to see my games standing next to one another and dust them of from time to time... digital copies give me no 'feeling' at all... and i'm willing to pay a few bucks like i do now for that special or limited copy on my shelve, just my thoughts...

#20 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

*thinks about PSP Go*
*shudders*

Exactly. Even until now, I still think digital distribution is not ready for being the standard way of obtaining a video game.

Edited by Joshua, 10 March 2012 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!