16 replies to this topic

#1 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

http://gonintendo.co...story&id=176223

"As you noted, there is a certain dead end we come to if we just expand the volume of the game. I intend to change direction a little as we go. The key to that's going to be its dual support for 3DS/Wii U. I'm really just getting started on this so it's going to take time, but I'll come up with something that uses that link as the game's central axis, so I hope you're looking forward to it." - Masahiro Sakurai

Hopefully we can get a possible trailer at E3 2012.

#2 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hmm, so the dual support is going to be the central axis of the games. I guess it is too early to say, but this sounds like you would have to have both a 3DS and a Wii U to fully enjoy the game. I personally don't have a problem with this as I will have both, and of course if you don't have a 3DS yet, what's wrong with you? Reggie's words, not mine.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#3 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Interesting news, as always.
This game will always be a day one purchase for me. (3DS and Wii U versions.)

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

http://ie.wii.ign.co.../1223770p1.html
Full story.

For some reason, IGN are planning to post the interview in parts.
I guess they want to make the most of a (probably) short interview.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Just wondering, what if the Wii U version of Smash Bros is a 3D fighting game like Soul Calibur and the 3DS version is classic Smash Bros style?
Posted Image

#6 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hmm, so the dual support is going to be the central axis of the games. I guess it is too early to say, but this sounds like you would have to have both a 3DS and a Wii U to fully enjoy the game. I personally don't have a problem with this as I will have both, and of course if you don't have a 3DS yet, what's wrong with you? Reggie's words, not mine.

I doubt that Nintendo would push this kind of conectability as they don't want to screw people over who have one or the other versions of the game not both. There may be a couple stages and a character or two that can only be unlocked if the two connect to one another, however even that is pushing it.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#7 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hopefully we can get a possible trailer at E3 2012.

He said he's "just starting work on it", so... no. We'll be lucky if it comes out in 2014.

Speaking of which, we could get Monolith's next game, HD Zelda, and Smash Bros. all in one year. That could be pretty frikkin awesome.

#8 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

He said he's "just starting work on it", so... no. We'll be lucky if it comes out in 2014.

Speaking of which, we could get Monolith's next game, HD Zelda, and Smash Bros. all in one year. That could be pretty frikkin awesome.

Yeah he confirmed a few months ago he started working on it, so he technically did not start on SSB4 that long ago, the Grinder got an E3 2009 trailer and demo and it was only in development for a month.

#9 ShadowVector

ShadowVector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

I hope that this doesn't mean a watered-down console version. I don't own a 3DS so I hope that won't prevent me from gaining important content like extra characters and stages that would only be available via a Wii U / 3DS connection.

Maybe it could be kind of like Mario Kart Wii where if you have a save file from Super Mario Galaxy you can unlock Rosalina right away instead of having to play though various championships first.

Check out my artworks thread here on the forums

Follow me on 120px-Deviantart_logo.png

#10 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Personally I have no worries for this since I am going to have both the Wii U and 3DS, but I can see why people would 'cringe' at the thought of it being a regularly used idea.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#11 DigitalGreenTea

DigitalGreenTea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Fox

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

So, he wants to bring in a bit of a change? Hm... I wonder if the game-play will change a bit, I wonder if it will still be a 2D fighter, maybe he will add some stuff from Kid Icarus Uprising.

Posted Image

DGT - The Nintendo Enthusiast

#12 Rockalot

Rockalot

Blooper

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

Originally he said that the Wii U version will be a more traditional take on the series, while the 3DS will have a far more personal touch to it. He briefly went on to mention something similar to the sticker system, so I assume we can see something like using your Mii with a semi RPG element to the game. Maybe you can use Street Pass on the 3DS and it would add someone to your Smash Bros friends list on both versions? We'll hear more at E3 hopefully

Posted Image

#13 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

My assumptions, based on nothing.

3DS Version: It's going to have an RPG elemented Beat Em Up to it. Players will be able to level up a 'character' (Mii, actual character or custom). It will feature many different environments to fight in, and will have multiplayer in this way, as opposed to the previous titles. (So like the 2P co-op in SSE). Possibly up to four players at a time. Movements will feel just the same, depending or not if they plan on adding/removing actions for these games. It will possibly still retain the original mode of classic fighting and versus.

Wii U Version: More of the traditional game. The bigger draw on the interconnectivity between 3DS and Wii U will be the global theatre. Basically, it'd be like Global Resistance or Heroes VS Heralds, where how well the good guys perform in an area determines how well defended a place is. Events in the 3DS version can also affect the performance of this.

Half finished here. Going to play some BF3 coz yeah.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#14 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

I hope that this doesn't mean a watered-down console version. I don't own a 3DS so I hope that won't prevent me from gaining important content like extra characters and stages that would only be available via a Wii U / 3DS connection.

Maybe it could be kind of like Mario Kart Wii where if you have a save file from Super Mario Galaxy you can unlock Rosalina right away instead of having to play though various championships first.

^ This. SSB Wii U had better not suffer because of connectivity with a handheld. Honestly, I dont see any benefit to this strategy other than cross platform online play. I'm not a tech guy, but it seems like the Wii U version would be held back graphically if there is cross platform play. I'm down for being able to transfer data and what not, but I will not be happy if the Wii U versiion suffers in any way because duel support is "key" to anything.

#15 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yeah he confirmed a few months ago he started working on it, so he technically did not start on SSB4 that long ago, the Grinder got an E3 2009 trailer and demo and it was only in development for a month.

And we all know how well the grinder worked out! : P

Edited by jono, 26 April 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#16 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

They better give details at E3. -_-

#17 ShadowVector

ShadowVector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

They better give details at E3. -_-

They'll probably just confirm that "Yes. It's in development", which we already know, but they probably won't have a teaser trailer ready in time for E3.

Check out my artworks thread here on the forums

Follow me on 120px-Deviantart_logo.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!