• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

What if the next Zelda has online multiplayer?
This topic has came up a lot ever since the Wii U was revealed. There was even some talk that Skyward Sword was going to have DLC and online multiplayer. If this where to happen, here is how I would want it to be:

The online multiplayer I have thought up would place a variety of players (probably around 15 of them) in a map (woods, volcano, you know, generic Zelda locations) and the players basically hunt around for others and kill them. The player with the most kills would win, (basically the same concept from the Kid Icarus Uprising online Free for All mode). The combat system should be redesigned to fit fighting other players. (Hopefully the controls for your sword will be similar if not identical to Skyward Sword.) You would also find treasure chests with power ups, to be displayed on the controller. (Tap them to use.) There would also be kill streak rewards, one of them being that you could set a enemy free on the map via the controller. (So you could send a enemy at certain parts of the map with a player close by.) Imagine having a huge kill streak reward that allows you to send the Imprisoned crashing through the stage.
The players would most likely be Link but with different tunic colors.
Maybe the online multiplayer would even have a Light VS. Dark-esque mode also.
A co-op mode similar to Four Swords Adventures would be a nice addition also.

As for weapons, you would be able to pick your sword, your shield, and around 3 items from the game along with them. I would imagine the weapons wouldn't do much damage compared to close combat.

Well, that is all I have at the moment. I may update this if I think of anything else.

#2 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

If Nintendo puts in online multiplayer in the game it will most likely take away from the single player game (probably a hour or two taken away from it), and Zelda games need to be focused on the single player game. (With the exception of 4 Swords which was built specifically for multiplayer which wasn't online.) I for one am against the idea because I want them to focus on the single player.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#3 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

If Nintendo puts in online multiplayer in the game it will most likely take away from the single player game (probably a hour or two taken away from it), and Zelda games need to be focused on the single player game. (With the exception of 4 Swords which was built specifically for multiplayer which wasn't online.) I for one am against the idea because I want them to focus on the single player.

Why couldn't they put equal effort into each? Nintendo is well known for making quality Zelda games.

#4 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

Online Four Swords. Nuff said.
No sig.

#5 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

What if the next Zelda has online multiplayer?
This topic has came up a lot ever since the Wii U was revealed. There was even some talk that Skyward Sword was going to have DLC and online multiplayer. If this where to happen, here is how I would want it to be:

The online multiplayer I have thought up would place a variety of players (probably around 15 of them) in a map (woods, volcano, you know, generic Zelda locations) and the players basically hunt around for others and kill them. The player with the most kills would win, (basically the same concept from the Kid Icarus Uprising online Free for All mode). The combat system should be redesigned to fit fighting other players. (Hopefully the controls for your sword will be similar if not identical to Skyward Sword.) You would also find treasure chests with power ups, to be displayed on the controller. (Tap them to use.) There would also be kill streak rewards, one of them being that you could set a enemy free on the map via the controller. (So you could send a enemy at certain parts of the map with a player close by.) Imagine having a huge kill streak reward that allows you to send the Imprisoned crashing through the stage.
The players would most likely be Link but with different tunic colors.
Maybe the online multiplayer would even have a Light VS. Dark-esque mode also.
A co-op mode similar to Four Swords Adventures would be a nice addition also.

As for weapons, you would be able to pick your sword, your shield, and around 3 items from the game along with them. I would imagine the weapons wouldn't do much damage compared to close combat.

Well, that is all I have at the moment. I may update this if I think of anything else.

This thread is sacrilege. Close it.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#6 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

This thread is sacrilege. Close it.

Why can't Nintendo defy the main formula?
I can't be the only one to want this!

#7 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

The beauty of Zelda was it's single player adventure, where the player would feel like Link was their "link" or avatar into this open world where they need to save Hyrule from harm. Your choices are Link's choices, your battle movements are his. Your strategy is his strategy. You must solve the puzzles on your own. You feel alone. This kind of single player experience needs to be deep and lengthy, and to do that requires massive resources and dev time, especially in the HD era. Adding multiplayer would take away from the quality and lengthof the single player (don't believe me, look at Mass Effect 3, BioShock 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations, etc).

Some games need innovation or a change in ways (Star Fox and Metroid need it) but games like Mario and Zelda are fine the way they are, and that is why people flock to them, because they only get 1-2 a generation and they know what to expect, but they want bigger and more. Zelda is a game series that is more "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it". Better overworlds, more detailed and larger overworlds, more dungeons, more strategic battle, better uses of items, etc. are what Zelda needs to improve it, not adding multiplayer and making Zelda a 10-12 hour experience.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#8 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

The beauty of Zelda was it's single player adventure, where the player would feel like Link was their "link" or avatar into this open world where they need to save Hyrule from harm. Your choices are Link's choices, your battle movements are his. Your strategy is his strategy. You must solve the puzzles on your own. You feel alone. This kind of single player experience needs to be deep and lengthy, and to do that requires massive resources and dev time, especially in the HD era. Adding multiplayer would take away from the quality and lengthof the single player (don't believe me, look at Mass Effect 3, BioShock 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations, etc).

Some games need innovation or a change in ways (Star Fox and Metroid need it) but games like Mario and Zelda are fine the way they are, and that is why people flock to them, because they only get 1-2 a generation and they know what to expect, but they want bigger and more. Zelda is a game series that is more "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it". Better overworlds, more detailed and larger overworlds, more dungeons, more strategic battle, better uses of items, etc. are what Zelda needs to improve it, not adding multiplayer and making Zelda a 10-12 hour experience.

Exactly. You sir get +5 to internet.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#9 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

A hunger games mini-game multiplayer mode.... so long as the main quest doesn't suffer for it, I'm game.

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

Zelda can't go to the future, space, or have online.
Those are the rules.
If my precious game changes, I might not like it anymore, but at the same time if they don';t change my precious game I won't buy it anymore!

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 Wonder Blue

Wonder Blue

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Xenoblade

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

agreed, close this please!

vs3Qt8Z.jpg

#12 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

If the multiplayer takes away from the main quest, I wouldn't hesitate on taking the multiplayer away. (If I had a say in the game.)

so long as the main quest doesn't suffer for it, I'm game.

^This.

agreed, close this please!

Close this thread? The discussion is just getting started!

#13 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:50 AM

Come on, this is a bit ridiculous guys. Zelda isn't perfect, you can't just demand that any thread that suggests something new or controversial is closed.. -_-

But anyway, I think online in Zelda could potentially be great. But as long as Nintendo focuses on the single player game first, and then makes online as an extra little afterthought. Also, people seem to forget that "online" doesn't always need to explicitly mean FPS-style multiplayer. It could be as simple as players being able to send eachother items and equipment over Nintendo Network, or maybe even some co-op sidequests could be integrated somehow. There's so many possibilities with it that I think it'd be stupid for Nintendo to pass this opportunity up. I mean, Metroid is a primarily singleplayer game too, but I don't think ANYONE here would be against the idea of some awesome multiplayer features in Metroid Wii U. ;)

Posted Image

#14 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

There is going to be a LOT of disagreement if Zelda ever attempts to go online.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#15 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

Here is a cool video with Ocarina of Time modded to have multiplayer in it:
Warning: A little bit of language.

An example of what co-op mode would look like.

#16 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Zelda should never have a multiplayer. However a Co-op might work... I was thinking what if there was a Zelda game where it was 4 player Co-op and it was similar to Ocarina Of Time 1 person would be Link, 1 player would be a Goron, 1 player would be a Zora and the 4th player could be Dark Link or something.
[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#17 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

It'd be really cool if they had a portal 2-esque co-op mode as well. Or they could just make a new four swords for 3DS, but I'd prefer the former.

#18 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

Zelda can't go to the future, space, or have online.
Those are the rules.
If my precious game changes, I might not like it anymore, but at the same time if they don';t change my precious game I won't buy it anymore!

Zelda has already been to the online world. Phantom Hourglass. Yes, I know it's not a console title, but that rule has already been broken.

Zelda Wii U could have some sort of Co-Op adventure that's seperate from the game. Could you imagine exploring dungeons and doing mini-games with a friend?

Posted Image

#19 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

^ was just about to say that..
No sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic