#21 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Lets be honest here, swearing too much makes you look foolish.
Posted Image

#22 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

OT: I definately had to use urban dictionary to figure out what a "brony" is.You learn something new everyday.

Isn't it a "bro pony"

Posted Image

#23 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

I would say keep the swear filter. Newcomers would be (sometimes) scared away because of the swearing without a swear filter.
I really don't want people cussing all the time for no reason, just like on the link Elric posted. This just leads to pointless conversations with a whole bunch of unnecessary swearing.
A community without swearing generally makes for a nicer experience.

#24 Trash Waifu

Trash Waifu

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Why would newcomers be scared away by swearing? The internet is not sugar-coated, there is swearing everywhere. Seriously, just grow up a little.

#25 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

It's not swearing itself that drives away people from sites.

Egotistic and malevolent commentary will always make any swear seem diabolic, but it will pretty much have the same effect without the cursing as well.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#26 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

To those of you confused over why I allow swearing at MLP Forums and don't allow it here, first of all, being a brony has nothing to do with anything. I've written up a different ruleset for each of my two communities that I believe to suit each community's best interests, and don't believe in "one-size-fits-all" solutions. If both of my forums are supposed to have the exact same rules and policies just because I own them, I might as well merge them together into the same site. Would make management easier, right? It would actually be a disastrous scenario on multiple levels.

Believe it or not, the average member on MLP Forums is older than the average member here on TheWiiU.com. The members I have over there are generally less likely to take offense to swearing and don't actually do too much of it. The "CAPS LOCK PONY" topic Elric linked to is the exception rather than the norm, and if you look closely you'll see that it is in the site's equivalent of a "spam" section where not taking things seriously is virtually a rule (with that said, it is also an old topic and its author has since been chided for overdoing it as well). It's not exactly a good representative topic of the community over there.

We have a few users here who aren't even teenagers yet; and in my experience, debates over gaming tend to get very ugly very fast if people are allowed to swear. For this particular community, we can avoid a lot of potential issues by just not allowing profanity to begin with.

#27 GeneralCraezy

GeneralCraezy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, RPGs, Nintendo, SE.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Believe it or not, the average member on MLP Forums is older than the average member here on TheWiiU.com.

Well that's probably because everyone swears all the time XD

Posted Image

#28 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Isn't it a "bro pony"

Yep, a male fan of My Little Pony.

#29 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

Well that's probably because everyone swears all the time XD

And 8-13 year old girls don't go on forums because it's illegal without parental consent via a COPPA form.

Kinda creepy really.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#30 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Why would newcomers be scared away by swearing? The internet is not sugar-coated, there is swearing everywhere. Seriously, just grow up a little.

The statement was directed to pre-teens, I don't think any 9 year old will join a forum with a whole lot of cursing to it. Just think: a younger person might want to talk about the newest Mario, but this person is afraid of people cussing him/her out. If this happens, they just plain won't do it.
I know when I was 9 I was very sensitive to cursing, it was completely a taboo.
I also included "sometimes" in parenthesis in my original post, just keep that in mind.

Edited by Blakexd9, 30 May 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#31 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

The statement was directed to pre-teens, I don't think any 9 year old will join a forum with a whole lot of cursing to it. Just think: a younger person might want to talk about the newest Mario, but this person is afraid of people cussing him/her out. If this happens, they just plain won't do it.
I know when I was 9 I was very sensitive to cursing, it was completely a taboo.
I also included "sometimes" in parenthesis in my original post, just keep that in mind.

At modern times 9 year olds think cussing is funny I have an 8 year old brother with many 9 year old friends and they cuss all the time. There aren't that many sensitive kids anymore.
(Coming from a kid)

#32 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Can... can I be the Caps Lock Pony of this site if swearing is ever allowed?
ple-please?
Posted Image

#33 GeneralCraezy

GeneralCraezy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, RPGs, Nintendo, SE.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

And 8-13 year old girls don't go on forums because it's illegal without parental consent via a COPPA form.

Kinda creepy really.

Really? O_o

Posted Image

#34 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

south park warped my fragile little mind when i was a kid.

#35 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

Really? O_o

Yeah, if you allow under 13 year olds on your websites you're liable.
FTC respond to claims.
http://www.coppa.org

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#36 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Yeah, if you allow under 13 year olds on your websites you're liable.
FTC respond to claims.
http://www.coppa.org

I think that only applies to people in this USA though, so under-13s in other countries are free to sign up to this site.

#37 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

To those of you confused over why I allow swearing at MLP Forums and don't allow it here, first of all, being a brony has nothing to do with anything. I've written up a different ruleset for each of my two communities that I believe to suit each community's best interests, and don't believe in "one-size-fits-all" solutions. If both of my forums are supposed to have the exact same rules and policies just because I own them, I might as well merge them together into the same site. Would make management easier, right? It would actually be a disastrous scenario on multiple levels.

Believe it or not, the average member on MLP Forums is older than the average member here on TheWiiU.com. The members I have over there are generally less likely to take offense to swearing and don't actually do too much of it. The "CAPS LOCK PONY" topic Elric linked to is the exception rather than the norm, and if you look closely you'll see that it is in the site's equivalent of a "spam" section where not taking things seriously is virtually a rule (with that said, it is also an old topic and its author has since been chided for overdoing it as well). It's not exactly a good representative topic of the community over there.

We have a few users here who aren't even teenagers yet; and in my experience, debates over gaming tend to get very ugly very fast if people are allowed to swear. For this particular community, we can avoid a lot of potential issues by just not allowing profanity to begin with.

Can all be fixed by putting a swear filter to on my default but alow each user to toggle it off like n GAF or others. But I get your point. It's just really weird to read random pony references in the middle of a sentence. It makes me stop and reread what was posted and I have to fill in the blanks on what the author said loo.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#38 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

I think that only applies to people in this USA though, so under-13s in other countries are free to sign up to this site.

It applies if the website's server is in an American district.
It's to protect children's personal data, so if you had the SQL database in France or somewhere, but the rest of the site in America it'd be fine, I think.

A minecraft server I play on takes it super-serial, they don't care where you're from, and the server doesn't even collect data, it's not even in America.
The owner just lives there.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#39 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

Can all be fixed by putting a swear filter to on my default but alow each user to toggle it off like n GAF or others. But I get your point. It's just really weird to read random pony references in the middle of a sentence. It makes me stop and reread what was posted and I have to fill in the blanks on what the author said loo.

A per-user toggle is impossible with IP.Board's current design, unfortunately. That would indeed be a better solution. :)

Honestly, though, I'd rather you refrain from trying to swear to begin with. Then you'll avoid ever triggering the filter and getting confusing replacements made in the first place.

#40 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

POPULAR

Seriously, just grow up a little.

This coming from a person who posted a video of 9/11 with two dudes laughing in the backround and thought it was funny doesn't exactly make me feel like I need to :ahem: 'grow up.'

Here's how I look at it. Swearing is the cheap and lazy way to express yourself. It's also rude on a number of levels. The hilarious thing is how many of you appear to be completely teed off that the swear filter is even there. Not everybody likes to see foul-mouthed 9 year olds clogging up the forums, and I doubt it'll kill you to not swear and use a different set of words.

Edited by GameCollector, 02 June 2012 - 05:13 AM.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!