Hoodbury

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, CoD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

IGN Article

Rich interviewed Reggie and asked about Retro and basically said they are working hard but won't hear anything from them for awhile.

The rest of the interview is pretty good too. Helped a bit of my current dissappointement of E3 and Nintendo.

He confirms there won't be a lot of 3rd party support from Western developers until there is a bit of an install base with the system, he said that's just how they work.

Edited by Hoodbury, 06 June 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#2 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Yeah I read it. I think these journalist let Nintendo off the hook. You have to ask the hard question. Simply put will this console be powerful enough to run next generations engines and get next gen multiplatform games. No one has the balls to ask Reggie that question.

Edited by TRON, 06 June 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#3 Hoodbury

Hoodbury

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, CoD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

He did ask that:

IGN: Okay, cool. I think, looking back at the core gamers once again, they have an Xbox 360 or a PS3. And then all indications are that Microsoft and Sony are about to bring their next consoles in within the next year or two. What are your thoughts about how Wii U will compete? Not only with the existing platforms, but the ones that are just around the corner?

Fils-Aime: We're about to launch a tremendously powerful system. A system that pushes out great graphics, a system that has an opportunity to do a lot of things. What I've heard the fan community say is, I want my Mario, I want my Zelda, and I want the best of third-party. And that's what we're looking to bring to consumers.
I think in the end, the consumer choice is going to be... Once I buy my Wii U, that satisfies my Nintendo cravings and my cravings for all of these other great multi-platform franchises, then what is the role of a competitive platform? It's going to have to live on the backs of some sort of unique proposition, or unique content. And to me that's the million-dollar question. Of our potential competitors down the road, who's going to have that compelling content that's going to say, hey, now I need to branch out and pick up this additional system? I think it's for them to answer.

Edited by Hoodbury, 06 June 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#4 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Yeah I read it. I think these journalist let Nintendo off the hook. You have to ask the hard question. Simply put will this console be powerful enough to run next generations engines and get next gen multiplatform games. No one has the balls to ask Reggie that question.

I can answer that in my best Reggie impersonation.

We at Nintendo deliver different game experiences, we aren't about cutting edge we're about creating a gaming experience that's different from what our competitors do as a differentiating factor. What defines a next gen console is open to interpretation, for some its visuals for others it's the way you play.
We heard from the fans and developers and we've made a console that both will enjoy and create a lasting appeal.

That's the Nintendo attitude, they don't care what the competition does, Nintendo does things its own way.

#5 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

He did ask that:

IGN: Okay, cool. I think, looking back at the core gamers once again, they have an Xbox 360 or a PS3. And then all indications are that Microsoft and Sony are about to bring their next consoles in within the next year or two. What are your thoughts about how Wii U will compete? Not only with the existing platforms, but the ones that are just around the corner?

Fils-Aime: We're about to launch a tremendously powerful system. A system that pushes out great graphics, a system that has an opportunity to do a lot of things. What I've heard the fan community say is, I want my Mario, I want my Zelda, and I want the best of third-party. And that's what we're looking to bring to consumers.
I think in the end, the consumer choice is going to be... Once I buy my Wii U, that satisfies my Nintendo cravings and my cravings for all of these other great multi-platform franchises, then what is the role of a competitive platform? It's going to have to live on the backs of some sort of unique proposition, or unique content. And to me that's the million-dollar question. Of our potential competitors down the road, who's going to have that compelling content that's going to say, hey, now I need to branch out and pick up this additional system? I think it's for them to answer.

No he gave him an out. In my version I asked specifically can it run next gen systems. That way you back him in a corner to answer the power question. Not can it compete that's so vague. Compete in quality games, compete online. No can it compete in graphics! Journalist are afraid to ask to hard question or the questions we really want to know the answer to.

#6 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Great interview IMO, it does seem that Reggie knows what he's doing here. He seemed to hint that a few third party titles have yet to be revealed when questioned about GTA V and RE6, so hopefully that's a sign of what might be yet to be revealed between now and launch. :D

As for Retro, while I am pretty dissapointed we didn't get anything this E3, it might be for the best. Whatever they have in store for us is clearly going to be big. As the wise Miyamoto once said, "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever". ^_^

Edited by Deadly Virus, 06 June 2012 - 12:35 PM.

Posted Image

#7 GamingGolfer

GamingGolfer

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Dang! I was really looking forward to seeing their game. The suspense about what they were making had been killing me up to E3, but it looks like the suspense will continue to kill me. XD

#8 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

As long as they make something worthwhile I don't care how long it takes them. They are talented guys, and have my complete trust. Just one more year (probably) until we see something from them.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#9 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'm cool with that. let Retro take their time, and it will be just as good as always; Retro usually takes 2 1/2+ years to make a game, anyways.

Plus, a Retro title would certainly be a good answer to the Xboxstation next for the 2013 holiday season, I'm sure Reggie's thinking.

#10 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

Dang, I was a least expecting to get a little tease on what they had in store.
But If it's for the best then I say let Retro take their time; we KNOW it's going to be good.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#11 Vaati

Vaati

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm glad, even if they don't tell us what it is until next E3. The problem I had this year with E3 is that all the games had been teased before, or announced before. This way, by not knowing next year we will have the surprises. People say they want to be teased and want to know what game they're working on, but will complain next year when there is no 'new' games announced. Nintendo are never ones to bend to pressure though, they do things their way and only their way.
- 'Let me show you true power!'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!