Photo

Maybe Nintendo is targeting the hardcore long term after all!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

So after watching the stuff from this last e3 I have come to the conclusion that Nintendo has a long term agenda for the hardcore gamer. Stop laughing I know what I'm talking about (I hope). If one looks at Nintendo's release lineup they have pretty much revealed all the major Mario games for the 3DS and the only Super Mario game they have yet to announce yet for the Wii U is their next 3D one. What will their studios work on if all their Wii fit, Wii Sports equivalent, and New Super Mario Bros games have already been released for this generation? The Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Mariokart, Smash Bros etc. now I know that some of those games are already in development and confirmed (Smash Bros most notably), but this has really freed Nintendo up to work on hardcore games while still having the casual stuff available near launch.

What do you guys think? Makes sense, or just a false hope after a semi-disappointing e3?

#2 esper

esper

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo The Muppets Pokemon Yu-Gi-Oh

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

I've sorta been under this impression as well. I think Nintendo is releasing the games that they know are going to sell throughout the lifespan of the WiiU. Get all the casual stuff first to try to get the people who bought the Wii to buy the WiiU because the only people who buy consoles at launch are fanboys and casuals if it takes off.

#3 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

So after watching the stuff from this last e3 I have come to the conclusion that Nintendo has a long term agenda for the hardcore gamer. Stop laughing I know what I'm talking about (I hope). If one looks at Nintendo's release lineup they have pretty much revealed all the major Mario games for the 3DS and the only Super Mario game they have yet to announce yet for the Wii U is their next 3D one. What will their studios work on if all their Wii fit, Wii Sports equivalent, and New Super Mario Bros games have already been released for this generation? The Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Mariokart, Smash Bros etc. now I know that some of those games are already in development and confirmed (Smash Bros most notably), but this has really freed Nintendo up to work on hardcore games while still having the casual stuff available near launch.

What do you guys think? Makes sense, or just a false hope after a semi-disappointing e3?

^This.

We know all the first party franchises are coming. The problem is us diehards want the Wii U at launch and we don't see anyone of this franchises coming until a year after launch. So we're stuck with our Wii's for another year before we find a reason to buy a Wii U. Or we buy the Wii U at launch and then get bored by Xmas time and have nothing to play for 6-7 months.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#4 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Nah, I'm sorry to say that they will proberly still make casual games, just some anticipated (and I hate to use this term, hardcore) games mixed in.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#5 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

I agree with what you are saying. I did have high hopes for the conference but not from their 1st party. Nintendo is about quality. They make awesome first party games. They are entering into a new world with HD. You see pikmin and yes it looks good but it's going to be left in the dust by the the next round of 1st party games. Pikmin is basically a hd wii game. It's not a game that take a lot to run its not even using the hardware that much. Nintendo (retro) is working on the engine that will power first party games. It takes years to build a new engine from the ground up for a system. Look how long it took before developers started showing what ps3 can do. The wii u will be fine and will bring us glorious graphics and core games from 1st and 3rd party. We just have to be patience. Yes E3 wasnt what we expected but I didn't expect like super smash brother... Which there were rumors that crazy people believed. All nintendo had to do was show off a sizzle real of all there first party games in hd. Remember when ps3 came out and Sony showed off the sizzle real showing gran turIsmo and everyone went crazy. There were people that brought the console waiting on that game. And it took like 3 years before it launched.

#6 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Next year is when the next gen consoles are expected to unveil their games and well if Nintendo released an underpowered console compared to the rest then they're screwed.

That's the problem, waiting a whole year to get a proper first party title.

#7 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

They are not going to not make their games, they are going to make a Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Mario kart, Smash Bros over the course of the lifetime of the Wii U (and maybe a Kid Icarus due to its success on the 3ds) they aren't going to release them all at once though and flood the market and screw themselves, your just going to have to wait for now because its Pikmins time to shine :P also they're going to get the 3rd party hardcore games as well by getting Batman, Darksiders and Mass Effect theyve opened the door for all the 3rd party hardcore games to hop on board

#8 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

Your reasoning makes a LOT of sense. I didn't think of it this way, but now you say it, youre totally right. The Wii had a quite good launch lineup but soon enough I noticed the lack of games. The Wii U will appeal to the hardcores. And I think that the Wii U's launch lineup is really good. We've got FPS (Aliens: Colonial Marines), 3rdPS (Ghost Recon Online), Strategy (Pikmin 3), action/adventure (ACIII and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge) and a lot more... Reggie is really right when he says that western developpers take awhile to jump to the next gen. Am I the only one that has a good feeling about this e3?
Posted Image

#9 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

Your reasoning makes a LOT of sense. I didn't think of it this way, but now you say it, youre totally right. The Wii had a quite good launch lineup but soon enough I noticed the lack of games. The Wii U will appeal to the hardcores. And I think that the Wii U's launch lineup is really good. We've got FPS (Aliens: Colonial Marines), 3rdPS (Ghost Recon Online), Strategy (Pikmin 3), action/adventure (ACIII and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge) and a lot more... Reggie is really right when he says that western developpers take awhile to jump to the next gen. Am I the only one that has a good feeling about this e3?

Yes, I think you're right. I think that the main reason for showing some of the "casual" stuff, like sing/dance/fitness, was that they knew that they would get some press from this, and the people interested in that would see it and think "hey, a new Wii!". The devoted gamers of course already know about the WiiU and they will buy it if the games get good reviews, regardless of what was shown at E3. I think they have a good strategy this time.

#10 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yes, I think you're right. I think that the main reason for showing some of the "casual" stuff, like sing/dance/fitness, was that they knew that they would get some press from this, and the people interested in that would see it and think "hey, a new Wii!". The devoted gamers of course already know about the WiiU and they will buy it if the games get good reviews, regardless of what was shown at E3. I think they have a good strategy this time.

Plus, This gives the casual games press footage to draw from for future advertising of said games.

#11 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Plus, This gives the casual games press footage to draw from for future advertising of said games.

Yeah right? A lot of people are complaining about the conference and how it should have been done better, but who really are the experts? People complained about Microsofts conference, but they did a good job attacking Apple. Who are the experts? Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are. And the hardcores the Wii U is trying to get back wont be convinced by the press conference, but actually the games that would come to the Wii U during/after launch. We wanted to see 1st party games, and thats why we were disappointed. They didnt say anything about the specs because Sony and Microsoft could have known how powerful their next system should be. And what do the specs mean to the casuals?
Posted Image

#12 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

In the end, we are the critics, but aren't the critics.

Moderation is key, but the hows, whys and whens of it all is different between us, the gamers, and the developer companies.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#13 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

We know for certain that Nintendo will be focusing on the "hardcore" gamer this gen, but to what extent we still yet to find out.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#14 gregoryorizal

gregoryorizal

Spiny

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

I was getting a little worried about Nintendo's strategy with the Wii U but this makes sense, now Im even more excited for the Wii U to finally come out :D

Edited by gregoryorizal, 08 June 2012 - 09:27 AM.

Posted Image

#15 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

I was getting a little worried about Nintendo's strategy with the Wii U but this makes sense, now Im even more excited for the Wii U to finally come out :D

keep in mind this is just pure speculation on my part. This may not be the case, but I hope it is!

#16 Diablo2

Diablo2

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

They should prove their loyalty to the hardcore base with a new Eternal Darkness, for starters, lol.

Posted Image

#17 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

They should prove their loyalty to the hardcore base with a new Eternal Darkness, for starters, lol.

Aye, but Metroid Prime 4 would have a more widespread appeal I think.

#18 Wonder Blue

Wonder Blue

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Xenoblade

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

yes!!!! please!! lets hope that's the game Retro's working on

vs3Qt8Z.jpg

#19 gregoryorizal

gregoryorizal

Spiny

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

keep in mind this is just pure speculation on my part. This may not be the case, but I hope it is!

You know I actually didn't take that as speculation on your part and totally convinced myself that it was the truth, with that being said I know its not 100% true but I do hope that's what the boys over at Nintendo are planning, it would be absolutely glorious !

Edited by gregoryorizal, 08 June 2012 - 08:13 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!