Photo

With the worries of wii u not selling to casuals..

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jalio_the_brave

jalio_the_brave

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

I don't see why it's a problem. I know a lot of soccer moms who would buy the wii u. Why? Because it's new. Lots of people upgrade their tablets to the newest one because it has new features, sometimes not even looking into the advantages. Even if wii U has "wii" in the name, it will sell because of it. Because casuals and soccer moms will see it as an upgrade that their child has to have. Thoughts?

#2 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Yes, I agree but then I kinda disagree, most casual proberly won't go for the Wii U because of the violent games and then the 'hardcore' gamers won't buy it because of the casual games. That's the way I see it... :/

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#3 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

Hmm, I don't see how that works.

Can't think of a person who didn't upgrade their iPhone every time a new rendition came out.
If you are saying casuals won't upgrade their tech when they have the money, you can think again. They always do.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#4 jalio_the_brave

jalio_the_brave

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

That's what I was saying. It will sell because it'll be seen as an upgrade

#5 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

People were worried about the Wii U not selling ot casuals? After E3 that still seems like Nintendo's target market.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#6 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Therein lies a contradiction CUD.

Tell me how many casuals you know that watched E3. The majority of them only know the Wii U in name only.

AuzzieWingman.png

#7 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Therein lies a contradiction CUD.

Tell me how many casuals you know that watched E3. The majority of them only know the Wii U in name only.

I'm saying it's Nintendo's target market with the Wii U not that their E3 press conference informed a lot of casual gamers about the system. To reiterate, I feel Nintendo's E3 press conference reflected their marketing plans for their system.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#8 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

Bah, misread that one word that changes everything.

I think what they are trying to do is take the casual gamer to the next level, and that has been their goal since Shiggy made a wife-o-meter.

Hence the kinds of games they did show (minus SiNG which has no business in any part of the world). They want enough games that will present casuals into buying the system, and may gradually lean them into core gaming. So I get what you mean by marketing. They want the system to launch with a few heavy hitters but mostly lighter titles that could have some underlying challenge. I won't deny that the Golf game on Wii Sports was a headache for me.

AuzzieWingman.png

#9 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

The Wii U will sell fine. I believe Nintendos main goal with Wii U is to retain all the billions of Casuals they got with Wii. But this time flip the coin and replicate the effect of the Wii but with the "Hardcores". In the end Nintendo wants everyone lol.
[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#10 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

The Wii U will sell fine. I believe Nintendos main goal with Wii U is to retain all the billions of Casuals they got with Wii. But this time flip the coin and replicate the effect of the Wii but with the "Hardcores". In the end Nintendo wants everyone lol.

I'm sure that's the main goal of all the big three.
And so far, I believe Microsoft is doing quite a good job at accomplishing that.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#11 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

I agree about casuals buying updates. My own mother pressured me into upgrading to both the DSLite and DSi because "It's newer and thinner and in your fav color!" and "Oh isn't it the newest one? It's on sale!" Wasn't my money so I finally gave into it.

I think it's a good strategy to have a heavily casual friendly library at the beginning... If you wait too long it'll be "old" and they won't be interested. Gamers will wait until they see the right games.

Edited by Ixchel, 11 June 2012 - 11:47 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Not really. Microsoft is trying to take away Nintendo's casuals but failing miserably. Kinect = Fail. Even casuals dont play Kinect stuff. Wii got to the casuals first so they are fine with Wii and Nintendo. And Microsoft is slowly losing their hardcores. Halo 4 is basiclly all that will maintain them lol.

I'm sure that's the main goal of all the big three.
And so far, I believe Microsoft is doing quite a good job at accomplishing that.

#13 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

That's what I was saying. It will sell because it'll be seen as an upgrade

The counterarguement to that is people use their tablets...most casual gamers probably haven't turned on their Wii in over a year if not longer. Are they really running out to "upgrade" something they don't use?

#14 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

I don't think Microsoft's goal is to steal Nintendo's customers, Nin_Stream.

I fear I'm gonna be outtrolled by you one of these days.

AuzzieWingman.png

#15 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Not really. Microsoft is trying to take away Nintendo's casuals but failing miserably. Kinect = Fail. Even casuals dont play Kinect stuff. Wii got to the casuals first so they are fine with Wii and Nintendo. And Microsoft is slowly losing their hardcores. Halo 4 is basiclly all that will maintain them lol.

Last I heard the 360 was selling pretty well and a lot of those sales are due to Kinect.

Edited by CUD, 12 June 2012 - 06:13 PM.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#16 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

I have a different point of view. I agree that wii U will end up casual if the leaks are true.. It will gain lots of core gamers but in a matter of survival in 2 years from now, after the next gen comes, will end up casual again. Its the only way I see it surviving, if nintendo indeed made an upgrade of the current and not a 3-4-5 times leap from the current. Because all developers will jump into ps4 and 720 with the newer game engines, so the core gamers will jump as well.

except if 720 and ps4 are slightly and minor better than wii U... Imagine that game companies already developing games in UE4 and next year we will have 2 titles with UE4..

If wii U is stronger than that, .maybe nintendo wants to surprise... who knows... Then... all systems will be equal in casual gamers with the fit and dance games or sports, with a slight plus in wii U, because of mario...

Edited by Orion, 12 June 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#17 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

Out trolled by me? Well sorry to burst your bubble but I have yet to actually troll at all on this site.

I don't think Microsoft's goal is to steal Nintendo's customers, Nin_Stream.

I fear I'm gonna be outtrolled by you one of these days.

Oh great the Nintendo hater himself CUD...Your name is dangerously close to COD and if it was I would dislike you even more. However yes it is true that the 360 is selling well. As for the Kinect...People get it as part of the bundle with the 360. They dont use it or even want it so yah people are getting kinects but just cause it comes with the system. It either doesnt get set up or it gathers dust.

Last I heard the 360 was selling pretty well and a lot of those sales are due to Kinect.

#18 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

Out trolled by me? Well sorry to burst your bubble but I have yet to actually troll at all on this site.

Oh great the Nintendo hater himself CUD...Your name is dangerously close to COD and if it was I would dislike you even more. However yes it is true that the 360 is selling well. As for the Kinect...People get it as part of the bundle with the 360. They dont use it or even want it so yah people are getting kinects but just cause it comes with the system. It either doesnt get set up or it gathers dust.

People forget the "core" consumer for Xbox are the casual gamers who only play CoD and actually think they're good at it.

The old casual parents would not buy it, the parents that bought it back in 2007 and 2008 have teenagers now. Those kids hate the Wii, those kids will tell their parents to not buy a Wii U. I'm pretty sure those parents have moved onto other things such as facebook games and smart phone games. I highly doubt that they're going to spend $250-$350 for the console and another $60 just so that they can "exercise" using the same old carp crap they've owned for years.

Thirdly, Nintendo has no reputation with other console owners, they didn't blow them away, all they showed to them were controller gimmicks again, they don't want that. After looking at UE4 and StarWars 1313 how can those gamers buy a Wii U when they can see it will be left behind by other next gen consoles that have games looking that good in real time.

Launch Day predictions
======================
Casuals = Most Out!
"Core" gamers (CoD players) = Out!
Actual core gamers = Sceptical, would rather wait and see.
Nintendo core = In!

I'm getting it because I can afford it, however in normal cases I wouldn't buy it to just play a upressed 2D mario, Pikmin and P100.

#19 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Strongly disagree. Pathetic.

People forget the "core" consumer for Xbox are the casual gamers who only play CoD and actually think they're good at it.

The old casual parents would not buy it, the parents that bought it back in 2007 and 2008 have teenagers now. Those kids hate the Wii, those kids will tell their parents to not buy a Wii U. I'm pretty sure those parents have moved onto other things such as facebook games and smart phone games. I highly doubt that they're going to spend $250-$350 for the console and another $60 just so that they can "exercise" using the same old carp crap they've owned for years.

Thirdly, Nintendo has no reputation with other console owners, they didn't blow them away, all they showed to them were controller gimmicks again, they don't want that. After looking at UE4 and StarWars 1313 how can those gamers buy a Wii U when they can see it will be left behind by other next gen consoles that have games looking that good in real time.

Launch Day predictions
======================
Casuals = Most Out!
Nintendo core = In!

I'm getting it because I can afford it, however in normal cases I wouldn't buy it to just play a upressed 2D mario, Pikmin and P100.

#20 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Launch Day predictions
======================
Casuals = Most Out!
Nintendo core = In!

i agree for the most part i still think Nintendo has yet to give a reason why the hardcore crowd should migrate back to them, and if i couldn't afford a Wii u i would likely pass it until a while after launch,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!