Ending the Wii U power debate once and for all

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

So we have heard all the rumors positive and negative on how powerful this console is. No matter what rumors come out from now until console launch I don't care. For me this will be the last post and comments made on this topic. We are spoiled and delusional as gamers right now. The mass majority believes there is gonna be another jump like from last gen to this one with the 8th generation. What you will see is consoles that supports 1080p striving for 60fps and giving us better textures, shader effects, and AI. The consoles will have more memory and that's about it. It really is that simple. While everyone is saying Wii U needs to run unreal4 or fail. The tech demo didn't look that impressive to me anyway. Nintendo is about to launch a console with tech from late 2008-mid 2010. If you believe it will only be on par with what the current gen has that is made of 6 year old tech then you my friend is very delusional. I believe nintendo has made the final dev kits a little more powerful and will be right there when the next gen starts getting all the games the competition is getting. Seriously its confirmed the console can support two gamepad controllers 720p 30fps. So doesn't that tell you it blows the others away just with that bit of information. Your telling me a console can support 720p on tv screen, plus full game rendering on two touch screen controllers all running at 30 fps. Imagine if a developer only used one controller for a hud and doesn't have the controller display what's on the tv option. You don't think they could pull off 1080p 60fps? Let's end this silliness now and get ready to enjoy the first HD console from a legendary company that is trying to innovate and move gaming forward.

#2 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

This debate won't end until all other next gen consoles are released.

We won't know how next-gen will look like and how powerful it is so there's still reason to theorize/speculate.
No sig.

#3 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

I think you are right but people are so used to seeing dramatic jumps in hardware that it is not going to sink in until they actually see it. I doubt that the PS4 and Xbox 720 are going to be such a jump in power either. Nintendo jumped from Game Cube level hardware to above a PS3 in one console. ISN'T THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU PEOPLE?!?! Lol.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#4 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yeah I don't think so. If we go by pc which is always ahead on consoles. We can see pc games just look better. They aren't a full generational jump like from ps2 to ps3. They ames just look better, textures, shader effects, 1080p support. That's all that is there right now. We aren't moving into a new visual era like from standard definition to HD. The signs are right in front of our faces.

I can also point out(even though I'm not posting the link) the article that said the PS4 was on par with current gen. Everyone seems to forget that rumor. But as soon as a UNKNOWN/UNNAMED developers says the Wii U is everyone breaks down and start the I won't be buying this console hysteria.

#5 Pinstripe

Pinstripe

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm pretty new here, but the first thing I noticed is the eternal whining about the Wii U not being a true Next Gen console etc.

Uhm, okay.

First of all, we don't know the exact specs yet, and Nintendo won't likely release them ever. So you gotta wait from several (!) developer sources to get a hand on the final dev kits and reveal them.

And secondly, even if we find out, this won't put me off at all. Playing Metroid, Zelda or Eternal Darkness 2 in, say Xbox 360 level graphics or slightly better, is already so good news to make every self-respected gamer and Nintendo fan wet.

And the Next Gen consoles won't really have that huge generational leap ahead, as mentioned before, between PS2 and PS3.

Microsoft is not interested in hardcore gaming anymore (Entertainment hub and Kinect nonsense instead), and Sony is rather interested in making semi-interactive movies with horribly high budgets but zero memorable value. It's pretty sure to me what console I'm gonna pick up next.

Edited by Pinstripe, 11 June 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#6 andodel

andodel

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic the Hedgehog, Nintendo

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Tldr, but it's pretty easy to answer regardless. The power debate will not end until we know official specs. Regardless of what devs say or what we know, haters will continue to point out "Anonymous sources" claiming the Wiiu sucks.

#7 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Pikimin 3 looks kind of next gen? :huh:

#8 andodel

andodel

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Pikimin 3 looks kind of next gen? :huh:

Kind of hard to tell, since most of what we've seen was off screen and of meh quality. I have seen some breath taking "screen shots" of the game. Screen shots in quotes because I really don't know if that was in game or not. All I know is the original was a work of art on the GC, so I'm thinking this will look pretty good.

#9 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

Kind of hard to tell, since most of what we've seen was off screen and of meh quality. I have seen some breath taking "screen shots" of the game. Screen shots in quotes because I really don't know if that was in game or not. All I know is the original was a work of art on the GC, so I'm thinking this will look pretty good.

Off screen?

Have you seen the trailer?

#10 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

This debate won't end until all other next gen consoles are released.

We won't know how next-gen will look like and how powerful it is so there's still reason to theorize/speculate.

No, this debate wont end until Nintendo releases a final spec sheet or digital foundry disassembles a Wii U
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#11 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

Directly from the Nintendo All-Access page:
  • Size

Approximately 1.8 inches high, 10.5 inches deep and 6.8 inches long.
  • Weight

Approximately 3.41 pounds (1.5 kg).
  • Wii U™ GamePad

The Wii U GamePad™ controller removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. It incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio LCD touch screen, as well as traditional button controls and two analog sticks. Inputs include a +Control Pad, L/R sticks, L/R stick buttons, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons, ZL/ZR buttons, Power button, HOME button, -/SELECT button, +/START button, and TV CONTROL button. The GamePad also includes motion control (powered by an accelerometer, gyroscope and geomagnetic sensor), a front-facing camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, rumble features, a sensor bar, an included stylus and support for Near Field Communication (NFC) functionality. It is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and weighs approximately 1.1 pounds (500 g).
  • Other Controllers

The Wii U console is capable of supporting two Wii U GamePad controllers, up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers or Wii U Pro Controllers, and Wii accessories such as the Nunchuk, Classic Controller and Wii Balance Board.

Posted Image
  • Video Output

Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.
  • Appearance

The new console features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any home entertainment setup.
  • CPU

IBM PowerⓇ-based multi-core processor.
  • GPU

AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU.
  • Storage

Wii U uses an internal flash memory. It also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage.
  • Media

Wii U and Wii optical discs.
  • Networking

Wii U can access the Internet via wireless (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) connection. The console features four USB 2.0 connectors – two in the front and two in the rear – that support Wii LAN Adapters.
  • Wii Compatibility

Nearly all Wii software and accessories can be used with Wii U.
  • Audio Output

Uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI® connector, or analog output via the AV Multi Out connector.

Edited by Nintendoes, 12 June 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#12 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

well played TRON and just imagine, if somehow devs wanted to push the console to new heights near the end of the life cycle to near photo realism then all they need to do is turn off the second screen's fuctionality and you can get a great experience as if you were using a ps3 controller
Posted Image

#13 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

So we have heard all the rumors positive and negative on how powerful this console is. No matter what rumors come out from now until console launch I don't care. For me this will be the last post and comments made on this topic. We are spoiled and delusional as gamers right now. The mass majority believes there is gonna be another jump like from last gen to this one with the 8th generation. What you will see is consoles that supports 1080p striving for 60fps and giving us better textures, shader effects, and AI. The consoles will have more memory and that's about it. It really is that simple. While everyone is saying Wii U needs to run unreal4 or fail. The tech demo didn't look that impressive to me anyway. Nintendo is about to launch a console with tech from late 2008-mid 2010. If you believe it will only be on par with what the current gen has that is made of 6 year old tech then you my friend is very delusional. I believe nintendo has made the final dev kits a little more powerful and will be right there when the next gen starts getting all the games the competition is getting. Seriously its confirmed the console can support two gamepad controllers 720p 30fps. So doesn't that tell you it blows the others away just with that bit of information. Your telling me a console can support 720p on tv screen, plus full game rendering on two touch screen controllers all running at 30 fps. Imagine if a developer only used one controller for a hud and doesn't have the controller display what's on the tv option. You don't think they could pull off 1080p 60fps? Let's end this silliness now and get ready to enjoy the first HD console from a legendary company that is trying to innovate and move gaming forward.

I couldn't agree more. I'm tired of dealing with a bunch of fanboys hating on Nintendo because... it's Nintendo.
Posted Image

#14 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Sounds good to me.

#15 andodel

andodel

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Off screen?

Have you seen the trailer?

Have to say I never really looked at that, only looked at off screen footage. It's looking pretty good. Details are nice, especially that water. Colors also have a vibrant look. Can't wait to see this on my HD TV :)

#16 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

well played TRON and just imagine, if somehow devs wanted to push the console to new heights near the end of the life cycle to near photo realism then all they need to do is turn off the second screen's fuctionality and you can get a great experience as if you were using a ps3 controller

Imagine a game that only uses the WiiU pro in the app store that would look really good.

#17 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

But if you turned off the screen than everybody will just assume the controller was just a gimic, Nintendo is going all out on this controller and they may not even give the option for devs to turn off the second screen.
Posted Image

This is where it ends

#18 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

But if you turned off the screen than everybody will just assume the controller was just a gimic, Nintendo is going all out on this controller and they may not even give the option for devs to turn off the second screen.

In the app store, yes they wiil.

#19 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

Nintendo jumped from Game Cube level hardware to above a PS3 in one console. ISN'T THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU PEOPLE?!?! Lol.

That's a fallacy.

Nintendos standard of performance isn't the wii. And just being better than their last console that happened to be grossly underpowered means nothing.

At the very least. The wii u blows away the 360 and ps3. At the same time, it uses some of that power to simply bump resolution and push pixels to another screen (think dual monitor setup). That takes power. The wii u has enough overhead to do those things and also push out next gen graphics.

You'll almost never see Nintendo games with great graphics. And launch games that started on early hardware or ports won't be indicative of the systems power either.

Teams that have final hardware to create for will be astounding gamers with the systems graphical capabilities.

No, it's not ok for Nintendo to simply be better than wii, since they essentially handicapped that system to start. They have competition to meet. And they e done a good job of putting together a forward looking system that is much more powerful than current systems and will do well in the years ahead.

#20 Wonder Blue

Wonder Blue

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Xenoblade

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

this discussion wont end with people like cud haters lurking around...

vs3Qt8Z.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!