#1 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

http://kotaku.com/59...ii-u-might-work

Blizzard Says StarCraft On Wii U ‘Might Work’

The lead designer of StarCraft II says there are several ways the popular real-time strategy series could make its way to consoles—and that under the right circumstances, Nintendo's upcoming Wii U might be a good fit.

Blizzard has traditionally focused on PC-only titles, but the brains behind massive franchises like Diablo, Warcraft, and StarCraft are no stranger to console gaming. The studio has confirmed that it's exploring options for a console version of Diablo III. Ports of the original Diablo and StarCraft have made their ways to PlayStation and Nintendo 64, respectively. And of course there's Blizzard's most infamous piece of vaporware, the elusive console game StarCraft: Ghost.

So while speaking to StarCraft II lead designer Dustin Browder in an extensive phone interview last week, I asked if he thought a game like StarCraft could work on consoles, particularly a system like the Wii U, which seems like the perfect fit for strategy games. He confessed that he hadn't seen Nintendo's upcoming console in action, so I gave him the basics: it's coupled with a touchscreen tablet controller that's sort of like an iPad with joysticks, buttons, and triggers. Basically, the whole kitchen sink.

"The problem I have with the iPhone interface is the big meaty sausages called my fingers that are always in the way," Browder told me, explaining that he thinks devices like the iPhone and iPad work well for games that allow you to casually lift up and put down your fingers, like tower defense.

"If I can control a cursor on the television with my hand on the touchscreen, that might be able to work."
"If I can control a cursor on the television with my hand on the touchscreen, that might be able to work," he said. "[But] because of the hotkey scenario, it's not like players actually play StarCraft with the mouse only—they play with the mouse and keyboard... We obviously allow new users to play mouse-only and that's really fun, but when you get serious about the game you do move into the mouse and keyboard space."

So maybe the Wii U wouldn't work for a real-time strategy game like StarCraft II. Or maybe it would, with some tweaking. Maybe if Browder and his team got a chance to play around with the tablet, they'd figure out a proxy for the keyboard. Maybe they'd come up with an entirely new idea for the franchise. Or maybe they'd leave with nothing at all.

Edited by Meelow100, 19 June 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#2 RnR

RnR

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

have hotkeys on the touch screen and use the stylus instead of buttons

Posted Image

"Please remember, I'll dismember any member."
The "Help RnR Get a New 360" Fund was a complete success. Thank you all for the support.
Now I am starting the "Help RnR Get Recording Equipment" Fund, anything helps!
Current Amount of Donations: $0

#3 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Have a digital keyboard on the GamePad and use the joysticks to move the mouse? This won't work. I love Nintendo, I love Starcraft II, I don't love this.

Its like saying how I love chocolate but I also love lobster. Will dipping lobster in chocolate make it more awesome? No, it would make me quite sick actually and ruin my taste for both things forever.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#4 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Have a digital keyboard on the GamePad and use the joysticks to move the mouse? This won't work. I love Nintendo, I love Starcraft II, I don't love this.

Its like saying how I love chocolate but I also love lobster. Will dipping lobster in chocolate make it more awesome? No, it would make me quite sick actually and ruin my taste for both things forever.

The first one was on the N64.

#5 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

The first one was on the N64.

And it was an abomination.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#6 ianh05

ianh05

Blooper

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:23 PM

Posted Image

Imagine that as a starcraft game... enough said :)

Gameloft has a RTS game or 2 on the ipad/iphone so I don't see why touch controls wouldn't work for this also.

Edited by ianh05, 20 June 2012 - 11:25 PM.

"The consensus was that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction." - Shigeru Miyamoto

#7 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

Posted Image

Imagine that as a starcraft game... enough said :)

Gameloft has a RTS game or 2 on the ipad/iphone so I don't see why touch controls wouldn't work for this also.

Dude this would be sick, I haven't ever played Starcraft but ive played WarCraft III and I'm sure its the same basic principle, it'd be great to have a game like that on the Wii U :D

#8 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

RTS' on the Wii U would be a great bonus considering that the only platform they succeed well in is the PC.
The Wii U's GamePad would work perfectly and I dare say even better than the keyboard and mouse if done correctly.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#9 ianh05

ianh05

Blooper

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

Here you go:

Posted Image
"The consensus was that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction." - Shigeru Miyamoto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!