• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 darkknight41

darkknight41

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Shigeru Miyamoto has conceded that Wii U probably won’t be as powerful as the next consoles from Microsoft and Sony, which are expected to launch late next year. Miyamoto added that it’s not all about sheer power, but how to balance what you’re offering in terms of power with cost.

“If the conversation is only really about whether the power is going to match up to another generation of hardware from, say, Sony or Microsoft, I can’t answer that question yet. [Wii U] might not be as powerful as those systems when they eventually do come around. But I think that the more important question is… It’s not just about power alone, but how to balance what you’re offering in terms of power with cost.”

http://mynintendonew...nd-playstation/

#2 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

At least we know the man is aware of what his competitors are likely to release relative to his console. And he's right about balancing power and cost. You don't want to price yourself out of sales and put yourself behind on install base, cough PS3 cough.

#3 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Miyamoto can't answer it since the other companies haven't released there systems. He is also right that they have to balance cost with power. The PS3 couldn't find a good balance and that hurt in the begining. We will have to wait and see how it goes.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#4 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Miyamoto can't answer it since the other companies haven't released there systems. He is also right that they have to balance cost with power. The PS3 couldn't find a good balance and that hurt in the begining. We will have to wait and see how it goes.

Yeah the Xbox 360 nailed the balance of power nd price. It was $299 for the basic and $399 for the complete system with wireless controllers and an HDD. It had graphics on par with the PS3 at the beginning of the console era and played DVDs as well while getting all third party games (sometimes the definitive ones too) all while being $200 cheaper than the PS3. It was good value. Too bad Iin Canada it was $100 more :(
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#5 Young Link

Young Link

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think it makes sense. They can only give straight yes-no answers regarding comparison with currently out systems, but asserting it will be better than other consoles that are not out or announced is condescending and outright a lie.

I am not expecting marvels, many people talk about technical aspects that I frankly don't care to understand. I know Nintendo does try to keep in similar levels and I want to think they will still proceed trying to make it as affordable as possible. It is not about having the latest power to me but to actually hit the nail with games that satisfy as many as possibly. I am not talking about one game for all I am talking a huge array of different type and genres of games... and of course that its first party key franchises have titles for it to look forward to.

#6 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Miyamoto's probably one of the few people within Nintendo that can actually be truthful about this kind of thing. He doesn't dance around the question like Reggie does for instance. I highly respect him, I just wish that Nintendo in general would realise that power is important in most cases, at least to be relatively on par with competitor's consoles.

Posted Image

#7 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Not shocking at all.

#8 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

The wii u may or may not be as powerful as later systems from MS and Sony.

Logic would say not, since those systems benefit from a year or more of price decreases in components compared to Wii U.

Nintendo made wise choices for their console. It will cost more than Nintendo consoles typically do. And it will be worth it. High quality components inside.

#9 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

It's hard to take Miyamoto's words for credit when the next gen Xbox and PlayStation aren't even announced or confirmed yet.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#10 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

Exactly.

Wii U wil most likely be current gen 1.5 people, but at least it won't be 600 bucks or some carp. So it's not that bad. Plus, Nintendo's first party games (which are the reason to buy a Nintendo platform) always look good because Nintendo knows how to fully utilize the power of a system. Look at SMB, then SMB2, SMB3.. and then at Kirby. There's a huge, obvious difference between that. Also, some Wii games look nearly current gen. So for first party games, this is no concern at all, and other devs just need to try their best.
No sig.

#11 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:05 AM

Seems they've learned from the 3DS.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#12 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 14 July 2014 - 01:35 AM.

#13 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:17 AM

Seems they've learned from the 3DS.

What did they do wrong with it?
No sig.

#14 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

What did they do wrong with it?

The initial price for one thing. The Vita is a much more impressive piece of hardware that costs around the same as the 3DS did at launch.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#15 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:23 AM

Is this surprising? Nope.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#16 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

The initial price for one thing. The Vita is a much more impressive piece of hardware that costs around the same as the 3DS did at launch.

Ah yes, that's true.
No sig.

#17 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

Yes I agree with Mr. Miyamoto. Power is useless if the price is too high for anyone to purchase it. Besides, just because the Wii U might not be as powerful as the 720 and PS4, doesn't mean it can't have gorgeous games. Pikmin 3 is a perfect example.

#18 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

While I can agree with him, please note that he cannot tell the future. :P

But while his logic is sound, I'm not sure that Sony/Microsoft would go for another complete powerhouse dominatrix. Sony can't afford it, and Microsoft...eh, I dunno about Microsoft. They could probably afford it considering they make enough money on other things, but they do seem focused on the casual crowd at the moment, so I'm not sure that they'd go for a powerhouse.

Time will tell, but I'm fairly sure this won't be another Wii - PS360 gap in graphics.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#19 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

The ps3 was from Sony's perspective a total disaster and a huge money pit. Overly complicated and sold at a huge loss for most of its life and performance has been erratic due to the complexity. Often the 360 outfperforms it sometimes comfortably. PS3 is still an amazing console and great value for consumers but shows the total stupidity of Sony's thinking hence why they are in such massive financial trouble.

Nintendo are far more clued up and are walking a delicate tight rope of desirable hardware, profit and a reasonable selling price. They are not interested in subsidising their hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!