Wii U CPU confirmed (by respected game producer) As weak.

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

So lots of back and forth on Wii U power issue. Well tekken game producer has confirmed the Cpu is as weak as last gen cpu(PS360). Look like they will have modern GPU and (for reasons I don't understand) have CPU that is on par with this gen HD consoles.

http://www.digitalsp...n-producer.html

Edited by TRON, 10 July 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#2 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:01 AM

Looks like the clock speed is 3Ghz then instead of the 3.2 Ghz. Still unsure if it's capable of 6 or more threads though. Still the GPU doesn't seem to have a problem, so that's good news

#3 SleepyGuyy

SleepyGuyy

Blooper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Fandom:
    DOUBLE CHEESE BURGER WENDY'S

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:10 AM

There was a rumor going around about the WiiU having a quadcore processor. If so, the graphics may not be affected much (lighting could be done easier) but the gameplay could be more complex.
Infact, with the controller having accurate motion controls, a real-time touch screen along with the HD graphics (720p, with many games in 1080p) I think the WiiU will be a significant player this upcoming gen. Regardless of the proccessor, It can do... things.
Although this seems less like a confirmation and more like a rumor.
The point is, the WiiU does extra things, with social applications running, and that controller I wouldn't get to worried about lacking something significant (that last statement is pointed towards any future posters... you two don't seem worried).
Posted Image

#4 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

According to that leak about the Xbox 720, the clock speeds are going to be lower too. If the Wii U has four cores, each can have have 4 threads, thats sixteen threads. It being lower clock speeds does not mean it will be weak. It just means the clock speeds are lower.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#5 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

According to that leak about the Xbox 720, the clock speeds are going to be lower too. If the Wii U has four cores, each can have have 4 threads, thats sixteen threads. It being lower clock speeds does not mean it will be weak. It just means the clock speeds are lower.

I've got an awful feeling that it's a tri-core processor. Still doesn't mean that a tri-core custom POWER 7 chip can't do 12 threads. Still the leak suggested that there was only 3MB L2 cache, the power 7 has only 512k L2 cache and up to 32MB L3. I'd say if it was a POWER7 it has to have L3, unless they decided to bump up the L2 cache and cut out the L3 altogether?

EDIT: Interesting.

On the "leaked" specs it says 512k L2 core 0, 2048k L2 core 1, and 512k L2 core 2.

It could be that core 1 has 4 threads a core, and core 0 and core 2 have 2 threads each?? Any thoughts?

Edited by Penguin101, 10 July 2012 - 05:41 AM.

#6 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

There was a rumor going around about the WiiU having a quadcore processor. If so, the graphics may not be affected much (lighting could be done easier) but the gameplay could be more complex.
Infact, with the controller having accurate motion controls, a real-time touch screen along with the HD graphics (720p, with many games in 1080p) I think the WiiU will be a significant player this upcoming gen. Regardless of the proccessor, It can do... things.
Although this seems less like a confirmation and more like a rumor.
The point is, the WiiU does extra things, with social applications running, and that controller I wouldn't get to worried about lacking something significant (that last statement is pointed towards any future posters... you two don't seem worried).

How can you say rumors? This was an actual quote fron KNOWN producer working on a game for the Wii U. This is as close to confirmation as you would get.

#7 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

How can you say rumors? This was an actual quote fron KNOWN producer working on a game for the Wii U. This is as close to confirmation as you would get.

Is that a quote from a developer confirming a quad core?

#8 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

http://www.nintendo-...rines-director/

So what he said about the Processor was a Lie?

As long as the gameplay isn't laggy, and we get good third-party I'm fine...
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#9 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

With the Wii U needing to display two images (TV and Controller) wouldn't Nintendo logically pack in a stronger CPU that is able to process information fast enough simultaneously? Or am I missing something here?

http://www.nintendo-...rines-director/

So what he said about the Processor was a Lie?

As long as the gameplay isn't laggy, and we get good third-party I'm fine...

Now with this, we have ourselves a contradiction between developers. Perhaps they have different dev kits?

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#10 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

With the Wii U needing to display two images (TV and Controller) wouldn't Nintendo logically pack in a stronger CPU that is able to process information fast enough simultaneously? Or am I missing something here?

Now with this, we have ourselves a contradiction between developers. Perhaps they have different dev kits?

Maybe he meant a really great GRAPHICS processor? :huh:

Edited by Penguin101, 10 July 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#11 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

its different architecture, doesnt really affect the overall power, no one seems to understand that
Posted Image

#12 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

I'm still very confused about all this. It wasn't too long ago that we were hearing rumours that suggested that the Wii U had a great processor but weak in other regards. Now it's the opposite? Can people make up their minds here? -_-

Posted Image

#13 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

I have 2 core AMD Athlon II X2 245 processor, and AMD HD 6790. I run ALL games on MAX settings, DX 11,full HD 1080p with no problem. Max Payne 3, The Witcher 2, Ghost Recon FS... all games have 30+ FPS.

GPU-s now days are beasts. It is better to go with weak CPU and powerful GPU, than other way round. So tri core Power 7 CPU is not a bad thing, not bad thing at all.

#14 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

Maybe he meant a really great GRAPHICS processor? :huh:

Yea, perhaps your right. Gearbox was more so talking about visuals.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#15 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

Still a minor difference in clock rate shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as the architecture makes up for it

#16 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

I dont know.. it seems to me namco had a bit of problem direct porting games to wii u, processor wise...
urhhh.. potatoes?

#17 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

I dont know.. it seems to me namco had a bit of problem direct porting games to wii u, processor wise...

Then they're going to hate an 8-core processor running at 2Ghz for the Xbox 8, and Sony's 4 core APU running at 3.2hz :P

Edited by Penguin101, 10 July 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#18 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

POPULAR

*SIGH* you know guys...this isn't rocket science. Just because the clockspeed may be lower, doesn't mean the CPU is going to be weaker than the Cell or Xenon. ANd some of you sound like you think this means that the clock speed is now going to be only like 2 Ghz. As I am sure most of you know, the clockspeeds of the Xenon(360 CPU) and the Cell(PS3 CPU) is 3.2 Ghz. If the Wii U CPU clockspeed really is lower, than its probably 3.0 Ghz, a measly .2 difference. Besides, the CPU will easily make up for it in other areas, such as multithreading. The CPU is either a Tri-Core or Quad-Core Power7 based processor, which can support up to 4 threads per core. However, Nintendo is likely to lower the amount of threads per core. Even then, it will still be better. The 360 and PS3 support 6 threads of code.

Even if the CPU is a Tri-Core, it can do 3 0r 4 threads per core, meaning it can support 9-12 threads. Heck, if Nintendo is using Quad-Core and does 2 threads per core, that is 8 threads, which is still higher than what 360 and PS3 can do. SO with Wii U, you are essentially looking at 8-12 threads of code for Wii U. And its a given that Wii U will have more RAM than 360 and PS3. We are most likely taking 32 MB of eDRAM and 1.5 GB of unified RAM(although .5 will likely be reserved for OS but still.) And the GPU will have a minimum clockspeed of 600 Mhz compared to the 500 Mhz clock of the 360 and the 550 Mhz clock of the PS3, Even Crytek, a dev team who are big on specs, said Wii U is minimum as powerful as the current HD twins. So despite a lower CPU clock, its pretty clear that Wii U still has better hardware than 360 and PS3

Sorry about the first part, but this really iclockspeed thing really isn't a big deal and it certainly doesn't mean the Wii U is weak.

Edited by JessdogPrime, 10 July 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#19 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Then they're going to hate an 8-core processor running at 2Ghz for the Xbox 8, and Sony's 4 core APU running at 3.2hz :P

didn't the xbox 8 is rumored to have the similar IBM's processor? or is it the same as what you are saying? =_= I didn't pay attention to specs that much.. If so yeah, they will hate it
urhhh.. potatoes?

#20 Dwarphkin

Dwarphkin

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Is a 200 mhz difference really going to make a difference?
Posted Image
I sometimes wish life was like Fallout 3 ^-^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!