Photo

How will Microsoft and Sony Compete with the Wii U?

Wii U PS4 Xbox 720

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Ramon3MR

Ramon3MR

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

So here's a question that should ignite some interesting conversation....how do you guys think Sony and Microsoft will try to compete directly with the Wii U (as it relates to functionality and such)?

Here's an opinion piece on that same subject...

http://gotgame.com/2...-with-the-wii-u

#2 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

Well Microsoft and Sony have poorly answered with SmartGlass and Vita CrossPlay.

As far as their strategy? It's HEAVILY rumored and presented that the Next Xbox will use Kinect 2.0, so that's Microsfts own plan as Nintendo had with the Wii U.

Sony, doesn't seem to have much but their strategy will probably be...Gaikai cloud gaming functionality. I wouldn't say that it is required because not everyone (Small portion) don't have access to Internet, so Sony will probably try to "up the ante" on the specs while having no major reason to buy.

If your talking about this Holiday season's Xbox vs Ps3 vs Wii U and I have been rambling on, well, Wii U will win cuz it's better, short and simple lol
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#3 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

Copy it in some form

#4 iShuys

iShuys

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Sony can't compete, Microsoft will wipe the floor with Sony.

#5 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Well Microsoft and Sony have poorly answered with SmartGlass and Vita CrossPlay.

As far as their strategy? It's HEAVILY rumored and presented that the Next Xbox will use Kinect 2.0, so that's Microsfts own plan as Nintendo had with the Wii U.

Sony, doesn't seem to have much but their strategy will probably be...Gaikai cloud gaming functionality. I wouldn't say that it is required because not everyone (Small portion) don't have access to Internet, so Sony will probably try to "up the ante" on the specs while having no major reason to buy.

If your talking about this Holiday season's Xbox vs Ps3 vs Wii U and I have been rambling on, well, Wii U will win cuz it's better, short and simple lol

Hardly. You obviously have no clue about Vita cross play if that's what you think. Cross play has far more possibilities then the Wii U's game pad and will provide pretty good competition. Microsoft's Smart Glass on the other hand is going to have a tough time competing as it assumes everyone out there has a compatible device which is not the case. That said I agree the Vita is not standard but what it offers in terms of connectivity with the PS3 is far better. With Sony starting to give away the Vita versions of games white the PS3 versions is going to be boost for them. That said I don't think either of them are going to go out of their way to compete with Nintendo and the Wii U. They are happy doing their own thing.

Sony can't compete, Microsoft will wipe the floor with Sony.

I doubt that very much. If anything Microsoft are going to find it hard to compete against Sony. Both of their consoles are at the end of their life cycles and I doubt they are going to be the Wii U's main competition in the long run. Their next gen consoles will probably be out by the end of next year and will be designed to take on the Wii U with the existing infrastructure used by the PS3 and Xbox as platforms used to buil on moving forward.

Edited by Gamejunkie, 25 August 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#6 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hardly. You obviously have no clue about Vita cross play if that's what you think. Cross play has far more possibilities then the Wii U's game pad and will provide pretty good competition. Microsoft's Smart Glass on the other hand is going to have a tough time competing as it assumes everyone out there has a compatible device which is not the case.

or far more limited, being the feature is an add on, instead of built in. the vita might not be able do everything the Wii U gamepad can do, because of design limitations. who knows.
urhhh.. potatoes?

#7 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

or far more limited, being the feature is an add on, instead of built in. the vita might not be able do everything the Wii U gamepad can do, because of design limitations. who knows.

In cross play terms the Vita does far more then the Wii U game pad is supposedly meant to do and is far more sophisticated. Granted not every PS3 owner also owns a Vita and time will tell how much penetration the Vita makes regards market share but the free game offers and increase in cross play compatibility will hopefully mean an increase in the number of Vitas sold.

#8 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

In cross play terms the Vita does far more then the Wii U game pad is supposedly meant to do and is far more sophisticated. Granted not every PS3 owner also owns a Vita and time will tell how much penetration the Vita makes regards market share but the free game offers and increase in cross play compatibility will hopefully mean an increase in the number of Vitas sold.

I hope you are not confusing cross-play and cross-controller, these 2 are different things. But most people just refer them both as Cross-play, which is wrong. Cross-play, as you know it, sharing game saves and what not, between the 2 versions, ps3 and vita. while Cross-controller is basically using the vita as controller, like the Wii U gamepad.

if you put these 2 features combined against the Wii U gamepad, of course there is a more possibility, that's 2 against 1. What I posted before is mainly referring to the Cross-controller. The cross-controller feature might be more limited than the Wii U gamepad, due design limitations. That is all what I am saying.

edit: and one more thing. seeing these 2 are separate features, games that cross-play might not support cross-controller, and vice versa.

Edited by eugoreez, 25 August 2012 - 08:50 AM.

urhhh.. potatoes?

#9 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hardly. You obviously have no clue about Vita cross play if that's what you think. Cross play has far more possibilities then the Wii U's game pad and will provide pretty good competition. Microsoft's Smart Glass on the other hand is going to have a tough time competing as it assumes everyone out there has a compatible device which is not the case. That said I agree the Vita is not standard but what it offers in terms of connectivity with the PS3 is far better. With Sony starting to give away the Vita versions of games white the PS3 versions is going to be boost for them. That said I don't think either of them are going to go out of their way to compete with Nintendo and the Wii U. They are happy doing their own thing.

I doubt that very much. If anything Microsoft are going to find it hard to compete against Sony. Both of their consoles are at the end of their life cycles and I doubt they are going to be the Wii U's main competition in the long run. Their next gen consoles will probably be out by the end of next year and will be designed to take on the Wii U with the existing infrastructure used by the PS3 and Xbox as platforms used to buil on moving forward.

Obviously Microsoft SmartGlass is an optional advantage, as is Vita CrossPlay, and only a few games this Holiday will utilize CrossPlay or Cross Controller. The only thing that is BARELY a ready feature is remote play, but it is Very limited and is prone to several glitches. Wii U on the other hand, can stream the game right to the controller without problems or glitches, and can do other features to improve the gameplay, and that's just an understatement.

Lesson Learned: Dont be a Nintendo Troll or too big of a Sony fanboy.
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#10 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

Microsoft is looking to make money, and with their financial backing and the rumors of the system being revolved around minecraft 2.0 they might grab the wii's market share. With Sony being in the hole with money, I don't think they can hope to compete. They can't afford another PS3 or they will be obsolete in a year, they want to make money from the get go. I think PS4 will be slightly stronger than wii u and the same price (cause the gamepad is pricey) and that will be its selling point. The nextbox will look to steal wii's casual market and provide the ultimate home entertainment system and it will be slightly less powerful than wii u

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#11 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

Well I think that the PS4, and 720 are going to be released. That will be a good way to combat Nintendo.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#12 patrickryan39

patrickryan39

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

The problem with Sony is the cross play with vita is going to be WAY to expensive. You got to own a ps3, vita, and the game for the ps3 and vita. Who wants to do that?

#13 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

The problem with Sony is the cross play with vita is going to be WAY to expensive. You got to own a ps3, vita, and the game for the ps3 and vita. Who wants to do that?

Yeah, it's pretty dumb when you think about it.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#14 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

Cross play has far more possibilities then the Wii U's game pad and will provide pretty good competition.

Hahahahah for Cross play to work there has to be people buying the Vita :laugh:

#15 Waluigi

Waluigi

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • NNID:Waluigi
  • Fandom:
    Elder Scrolls, Pokemon, and SSB

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Cross play is not going to be around for very long. The PS Vita can't handle games like Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. This cross play feature will become less and less relevant as we get closer to the launch of the PS4. The Vita and Playstation combo will be a threat to the Wii U for a short time, or it won't be a threat at all.
Nintendo ID: Waluigi

#16 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Sony HAS too get a new idea I think they are in the worst situation, because they will just make a powerful console with a boring Dualshock, I'd rather buy a PC. Microsoft has Kinect 2.0 which will be good for gameplay and Wii U has the gamepad. Sony has to come up with an original idea.

#17 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

dont forget its more expensive lol fail XD

Signature_Fox.png

#18 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

to be honest, things are looking pretty awesome for nintendo in the industry today. Microsoft is most likely going to go for kinect 2.0, which means that's about all the innovation they can have for the xbox720 without charging too much for the console or significantly toning down the graphics. so yh microsoft will probably go all out with kinect and try to rack in money that way.

sony is bleeding money, they have these options: go all out with cloud gaming, charge like 100 dollars for the system, have a tablet controller on it and PC graphics since its done through cloud. but its too soon for the world to have a cloud only console (that's why onlive suffered so badly).
they could wait three years, completely disrupt the console cycle and create 8.5 gen console and hope that they can sell it cheap (no innovative controller) and have PC quality graphics and hope that it will get games that cant run on wii u and xbox720. that would also go horribly wrong cos people want new controllers and devs arent gonna make PS4 and PC exclusives cos they can run certain quality games.
or they could just copy the tablet and make a ps4 that is pretty much identical to the wii u just without the nintendo touch :P
Posted Image

#19 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Microsoft is looking to make money, and with their financial backing and the rumors of the system being revolved around minecraft 2.0 they might grab the wii's market share. With Sony being in the hole with money, I don't think they can hope to compete. They can't afford another PS3 or they will be obsolete in a year, they want to make money from the get go. I think PS4 will be slightly stronger than wii u and the same price (cause the gamepad is pricey) and that will be its selling point. The nextbox will look to steal wii's casual market and provide the ultimate home entertainment system and it will be slightly less powerful than wii u

omg finally someone who completely agrees with me lol.

Signature_Fox.png

#20 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Pretty much. Although I think the nextbox will be more powerful or on par with the Wii U.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U, PS4, Xbox 720

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!