Photo

Do you think the game pad should have been an optional extra?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 skiesfallsdown

skiesfallsdown

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

If it was just the console and the pro controller it wouldn't have a point making the Wii U, because its turns in some ps3/360 which will die as soon as the new consoles come up

#22 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

They need something to stand out from the crowd:

PS3 - Graphics Extraordinaire
XBOX 30- Online Haven
Wii - Motion Control Founder

Without the gamepad, they really would be just an upgraded Wii and I'm not sure if that would sell well for them.

#23 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

why? how is the pro controller at all better than the gamepad? the only time im ever going to use the pro controller is for local split screen, otherwise why would i use an inferior controller? just doesn't make sense to me. if its a game where u specifically want NOT to use a second screen then simply use the gamepad's buttons only and dont use the second screen :P haha its so simple. yet you still get the advantage of a built in microphone for voice chat

Finally someone else understands.

#24 -JJ-

-JJ-

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mrs. Doubtfire, Madea, Corneria

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

yeah i not sure how popular the gamepad will be. When I first saw that the Wii was going to have those remotes, I was like how the hell will anybody be able to play with these? But I got very used to it, so I think the same thing will happen with the gamepad (at least for me). And I do like the idea that you can continue to play a game if somebody else wants to use the television hahaha
Posted Image

#25 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

XBOX 30- Online Haven

Without the gamepad, they really would be just an upgraded Wii and I'm not sure if that would sell well for them.

THIS. What really would be so extraordinary about the Wii U without it's controller? JUST LIKE THE WII. The controller revolutionized gaming. While the Wii U probably won't, at least it's something unique.

#26 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

THIS. What really would be so extraordinary about the Wii U without it's controller? JUST LIKE THE WII. The controller revolutionized gaming. While the Wii U probably won't, at least it's something unique.

yep

Signature_Fox.png

#27 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

It'd be one thing if the Pro Controller had buttons that the WiiU Gamepad didn't have...

...but that's not the case, every button on the Pro controller (four shoulder buttons, four face buttons, +/-/Home)
is also represented on the Wii U Gamepad. After using it for a while, it won't feel any different from a "regular" controller, I can promise you that.

From what I hear, the only reason the Pro Controller exists is because certain developers complained about the Wii U Gamepad's size and wouldn't make games for Ninty, unless they made a "regular" controller.

regardless of what the masses complain about, innovation is key. The Wii U Gamepad was the right decision.

#28 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

XBOX 30- Online Haven

While I don't agree with the OP feelings, I also do not agree with this statment. If Nintendo was to release the system with just a standard controller and never have invented the Gamepad I think they would still do very well in the long run. Look at the old consoles, Super Nintendo was a graphically better system over the NES and it had a standard controller. Same with N64 to SNES and GC to N64. They all had a standard controller. So I doubt that would have any real affect on their system. If anything people would maybe see Nintendo as becoming even more hardcore now that they are going back to standard style. Which would be a dumb way of thinking.

@Skiesfallsdown
If the WiiU didn't have the Gamepad and only a standard controller why would it fail after the new consoles released? Because they would likely have slightly better graphics than WiiU? No that would likely not be the case. In any console race there is always that one console whos graphics are not up to par with the rest. Or whos games don't appeal to a certain type of gamer. So Nintendo wouldn't be left in the dust once the others released. I think they would still be just fine. The Wii did it so why not the WiiU.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#29 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

While I don't agree with the OP feelings, I also do not agree with this statment. If Nintendo was to release the system with just a standard controller and never have invented the Gamepad I think they would still do very well in the long run. Look at the old consoles, Super Nintendo was a graphically better system over the NES and it had a standard controller. Same with N64 to SNES and GC to N64. They all had a standard controller. So I doubt that would have any real affect on their system.

but you have to remember that the SNES controller WAS different in it's time. The shoulder buttons were revolutionary. INNOVATION!
With the 64? They had the rumble feature and analog stick. INNOVATION! ... although Sony quickly adapted those ideas and ran with em.
I'd say the Gamecube had probably the least innovative controller, except for the clickable buttons in the analog triggers.

Point is, Nintendo has always been about innovation. Introducing something new to the industry so that everyone else could be amazed... and then in some way, apply the idea to their own consoles.
I don't think that Nintendo going with just regular controllers would be a good idea. It wouldn't help move the industry forward, and it sure as heck wouldn't make a difference to the other fanboys. They'll find something else to pick at.
If Nintendo didn't focus on innovation, game controllers would still look like this...

http://www.atariage....n_Atari5200.jpg

Edited by dagwood dang, 11 September 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#30 coolsarahkry

coolsarahkry

Blooper

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Avatar:TLA, Glee

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Nope. I think the gamepad was a good move on nintendos part. New and unique. I was weirded out at first, but now I think it's really cool, especially since you can play some games on the gamepad itself. The gamepad will also make the casual gamers see a clear difference in gameplay.

I'm hoping when I invite some of my casual gamer friends over, they'll like the console and will ask their parents for it.
Posted Imageby cerberuz

#31 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

but you have to remember that the SNES controller WAS different in it's time. The shoulder buttons were revolutionary. INNOVATION!
With the 64? They had the rumble feature and analog stick. INNOVATION! ... although Sony quickly adapted those ideas and ran with em.
I'd say the Gamecube had probably the least innovative controller, except for the clickable buttons in the analog triggers.

Point is, Nintendo has always been about innovation. Introducing something new to the industry so that everyone else could be amazed... and then in some way, apply the idea to their own consoles.
I don't think that Nintendo going with just regular controllers would be a good idea. It wouldn't help move the industry forward, and it sure as heck wouldn't make a difference to the other fanboys. They'll find something else to pick at.
If Nintendo didn't focus on innovation, game controllers would still look like this...

http://www.atariage....n_Atari5200.jpg

Yes...you have a very good and valid point there. I can't argue with that. But still I doubt that Nintendo would sink from the design of a controller and some slightly inferior graphics.
zZJ9pHB.png

#32 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

The Gamepad works well with what they are trying to achieve with the Wii U.

The first thing is the Gamepad's screen. Nintendo tries to entice as much as the audience as possible nowadays, and isn't solely focused on the average gamer. Many computer users in the modern world prefer the control of a touch screen as opposed to button interfaces. That's why many modern devices such as phones, e-readers and now tablets as well as gaming devices have leaned into this direction. This isn't necessarily about gathering casuals who prefer to tap than button mash; it's just the trend of things in the market, but more so that there is more control, and control options.

Another element of the Wii U to keep in mind is the social interactions of gamers. Typing up a message half assed is annoying as is with the PS3; using a onscreen keyboard that you can touch works way easier. And to use the D-Pad and the Control Stick to navigate a page are very annoying, even when the system is built for that control scheme.

Dual Screens. More information, less hindrance. Properly built software that uses both would have a clear advantage over a single screen. Maps may sound like a stupid reason to have a second screen, but hey, if it means I don't have to mash Start 100 times just to get from point A to point B. Using it as an inventory is also good; apply a naturally appealing and customisable interface and people don't have to try too hard with some haphazard menu.

I'm not seeing the Wii U as an innovation. I'm seeing the Wii U as a console that takes advantage of the current trends in the modern market.

The Wii U Gamepad has a screen, the Pro Controller doesn't. Since the Wii U Gamepad doesn't compromise on anything but the screen for the Pro Controller, essentially the Wii U Gamepad has more options.

Wouldn't you prefer the more expensive and versatile of the two to be the pack in?

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#33 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

they sacrifuced graphical power to hace the gamepad so why buy one without it just get the 720 or ps4

#34 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Yes...you have a very good and valid point there. I can't argue with that. But still I doubt that Nintendo would sink from the design of a controller and some slightly inferior graphics.

I dunno.
I mean, I don't think they'd sink either, but it was precisely the design of a controller that gave them the boost they needed in this current gen. Let's face it, GC was a fine system, but the PS2 was kicking it's boo-tay in sales. Better graphics sure wasn't helping then.

I just think that Nintendo is (are) known for innovation, and they should stick with it. That's how they win, and it's how we win.

Edited by dagwood dang, 11 September 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#35 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

The primary input mechanism of a games console is the gamepad.

The wii u just revolutionized the gamepad. Again.

Of course it belongs packed in. Just like its always been.

#36 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

The Gamepad works well with what they are trying to achieve with the Wii U.

The first thing is the Gamepad's screen. Nintendo tries to entice as much as the audience as possible nowadays, and isn't solely focused on the average gamer. Many computer users in the modern world prefer the control of a touch screen as opposed to button interfaces. That's why many modern devices such as phones, e-readers and now tablets as well as gaming devices have leaned into this direction. This isn't necessarily about gathering casuals who prefer to tap than button mash; it's just the trend of things in the market, but more so that there is more control, and control options.

Another element of the Wii U to keep in mind is the social interactions of gamers. Typing up a message half assed is annoying as is with the PS3; using a onscreen keyboard that you can touch works way easier. And to use the D-Pad and the Control Stick to navigate a page are very annoying, even when the system is built for that control scheme.

Dual Screens. More information, less hindrance. Properly built software that uses both would have a clear advantage over a single screen. Maps may sound like a stupid reason to have a second screen, but hey, if it means I don't have to mash Start 100 times just to get from point A to point B. Using it as an inventory is also good; apply a naturally appealing and customisable interface and people don't have to try too hard with some haphazard menu.

I'm not seeing the Wii U as an innovation. I'm seeing the Wii U as a console that takes advantage of the current trends in the modern market.

The Wii U Gamepad has a screen, the Pro Controller doesn't. Since the Wii U Gamepad doesn't compromise on anything but the screen for the Pro Controller, essentially the Wii U Gamepad has more options.

Wouldn't you prefer the more expensive and versatile of the two to be the pack in?

Yes. Si. Da. Ya. Hi... ^^This, guys...

#37 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

I dunno.
I mean, I don't think they'd sink either, but it was precisely the design of a controller that gave them the boost they needed in this current gen. Let's face it, GC was a fine system, but the PS2 was kicking it's boo-tay in sales. Better graphics sure wasn't helping then.

I just think that Nintendo is (are) known for innovation, and they should stick with it. That's how they win, and it's how we win.

I think you forgetting I'm on your side. I am all for and love that Nintendo innovates and isn't afraid to try new things. The only reason I was bringing up the points about Nintendo not necessarily needing a new type of controller to succeed was because someone was saying they would lose it if they didn't have something different.

I want new things like this and new ways to play.
zZJ9pHB.png

#38 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'd think ZombiU without the GamePad would take away from the experience.

Also, this topic is really odd. Think of the Wii without the Wiimote/Nunchuk. Dumb.

#39 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'd think ZombiU without the GamePad would take away from the experience.

It probably would, it seems like that game is meant to be played only with the Gamepad. I think Gamepad is the only way to go for the WiiU. Why have anything else when you have a cool big controller with a touch screen on it?
zZJ9pHB.png

#40 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

I'm not a competitive player, really. Experience > Speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!