Photo

Do you think the game pad should have been an optional extra?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 nfzeta007

nfzeta007

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Ok but they gave us the wii mote only a few years ago, which i think rocks a controler, why not improve tht and offer the game pad as an extra?

This would be a really bad idea, the best thing about the gamepad is that it also offers all the standard controllers that games usually require which makes it suitable as the main controller, a wiimote is basically sculpted for certain games and becomes awkward with everything else.

#42 gregoryorizal

gregoryorizal

Spiny

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

No. Without the Gamepad as the Wii U's main controller then the whole thing would just fall apart. Most of the Wii U features we all know and love (Lol) look like they were created with the Gamepad in mind. Everything cool about the Wii U is made 100 times cooler because of the Gamepad implementation. Without the Gamepad then the Wii U would just be a really really awesome PS360
Posted Image

#43 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

why? how is the pro controller at all better than the gamepad? the only time im ever going to use the pro controller is for local split screen, otherwise why would i use an inferior controller? just doesn't make sense to me. if its a game where u specifically want NOT to use a second screen then simply use the gamepad's buttons only and dont use the second screen :P haha its so simple. yet you still get the advantage of a built in microphone for voice chat

Comfort compared to the gamepad. And graphical power. Those are good reasons to get the pro. And I want to get a third party pro with analog triggers.

#44 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

how does that explain why using a pro controller would be better than using the gamepad?

Ergonomics. Mignaga already told us that the gamepad was a little bit bulky.

28gxdv8.png

#45 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

Comfort compared to the gamepad. And graphical power. Those are good reasons to get the pro. And I want to get a third party pro with analog triggers.

graphical power is not an issue cos u simply dont have to use the touch screen just cos its there. and as for comfort, i haven't held it and reports say its comfortable so why would i assume otherwise based on appearance?

Ergonomics. Mignaga already told us that the gamepad was a little bit bulky.

that's not enough reason to make it the primary controller of the system, its good enough reason to have the pro controller exist though, so just buy one, don't make it the primary controller. no one will buy that cos its not innovative
Posted Image

#46 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Yes...you have a very good and valid point there. I can't argue with that. But still I doubt that Nintendo would sink from the design of a controller and some slightly inferior graphics.

I should elaborate more. The graphic advancements Nintendo made at the time were revolutionary. SNES -> 64 Bit Gaming (N64). Introduced new control types as well. Gamecube was the least successful of any Nintendo system, and was outdone by Sony here (you know this). But GC -> Wii, slightly better graphics but the motion control is what really pushed it forward. I'm definitely am not saying that graphics were not an integral part of some of Nintendo's success, but in a day and age where graphics are reaching their plateau, and you see games like the new MGS that was recently demoed (on a PS3 power equivalent at that), you need something more than just graphics, a hook. I can't even see how Nintendo would market just the WiiU without it's controller honestly. The gamepad is the market ploy, the "gimmick", the innovation Nintendo is known for, whatever the heck you wanna call it. Why buy the WiiU without it, when other game systems would offer just as much? This isn't saying Nintendo would flop without the innovative product, but I do think it would hurt them if they didn't have a hook.

Mehhhh. I like your icon by the way. She looks... sadistically cute > o <

#47 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:40 AM

I have to say, it's definitely not a way I've seen Uryuu Minene before.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 12 September 2012 - 04:40 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#48 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:51 AM

Absolutely...the gamepad and the current-gen graphics are the two main reasons I won't be buying this Day 1.

#49 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

The gamepad is going to have an optional extra.

Posted Image

794144.png?13383682

#50 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

No, the Wii U pad is what Wii U is all about. I think its the perfect combination of traditional gaming and the whole "Be more involved" thing that have come with DS, Wii, Kinect and so on. One doesnt have to jump around or swing up and down to play. Just look down and use a touchpad once in a while.

What I really want Nintendo to do is to make a new version of the Wiimote with built in batteries (such as the Wii U Pad). I would really like to use Wii U for Wii games as well but i just wont use a controller that uses AA-batteries.

#51 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

Too bulky? ...

You're confusing the issue of bulkiness with button accessibility.
Take the original X-box's first controller for example (The Duke). It was bulky, yes, but even worse, the button layout was bad.
Difficult for even pro gamers to accurately press the intended buttons. With the Wii U gamepad, sure you'll have a screen in the middle spacing the left hand from the right, but your thumbs and fingers will have smooth an easy access to all of the physical buttons on there, except for maybe the option buttons like +,-,HOME,TV,etc.

The Wii U Gamepad may seem bulky at first, but over time it wont feel any different from a typical controller. The pro controller is only here to appease those who don't understand that yet.

#52 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

Oh, I remember The Duke. I have small hands. That thing was pure hell.

#53 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

graphical power is not an issue cos u simply dont have to use the touch screen just cos its there. and as for comfort, i haven't held it and reports say its comfortable so why would i assume otherwise based on appearance?

that's not enough reason to make it the primary controller of the system, its good enough reason to have the pro controller exist though, so just buy one, don't make it the primary controller. no one will buy that cos its not innovative

some reports doesn't mean all people will like it. For example I really don't like holding the PS2 controller but others say its great.

#54 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

some reports doesn't mean all people will like it. For example I really don't like holding the PS2 controller but others say its great.

so how does that justify making the pro controller the primary instead of the gamepad? thats what the original convo was about
Posted Image

#55 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

so how does that justify making the pro controller the primary instead of the gamepad? thats what the original convo was about

You're treating the pro like it has no purpose...Only for split screen.

Edited by Emblem, 12 September 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#56 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

I have to say, it's definitely not a way I've seen Uryuu Minene before.

Wait.. what?

#57 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

You're treating the pro like it has no purpose...Only for split screen.

no im saying it has no purpose other than split screen and for the few people who find the gamepad uncomfortable. but yes other than that it pretty much has no other purpose
Posted Image

#58 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

ERM NO THAT WOULD BE CRAZY AND DUMB

#59 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

I will be the first to say the gamepad is clearly a peice of art, maybe like the ipod was????? The wii u is not just a console but the main hub for all your t.v entertainment. Which is truely genius, BUT, if you buy one for your kids in there bedrooms, wouldnt you rather they just played games on it? So a simple version with a standard pro pad still might be better for that, and cheaper still!! Any way im blown away with it and all my fears have gone, well done nintendo :) 

Edited by djlewe78, 13 September 2012 - 07:55 AM.

#60 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

If the Wii U didn't have the gamepad, I don't think it would have gotten the support it has. I probably also wouldn't be going to buy it.

It seems Ubisoft and EA are quite excited at the changes they have been able to make in games thanks to the gamepad.

Personally, if there is one thing that annoys me on open world games its getting lost. Its so hard to tell where you are heading on the map, a mini map alone is not entirely helpful. Far too often I bring up the map and then get confused and end up going in the wrong direction. This no longer needs to happen on Wii U because you can glance down at the full map at any time and immediately see if you are heading the right way.

That is just one example of how having a screen in the controller WILL revolutionise gaming, at least for me personally.

Recently, I got Zen Pinball 2 for PS Vita which is FAR better than the 3DS Zen Pinball. The resolution and the gameplay is just smoother, but there is one thing I miss - not having a bottom screen to stick the LED display on. It just makes so much difference being able to keep it large, available at a glance, but not obstructing the main display.

There are several games that have tried to ditch the health bar but in most cases, it sucks. Now you can have hints at your health on the main screen but details at a glance.

None of this would happen if the gamepad wasn't a standard bundled feature of the console. How many 3DS games support the second circle pad? Or supported the cable that links the GBA to the Gamecube? Even other manufacturers, what happened to the PSP being able to be used as a rear view mirror on racing games? It didn't happen, because its not worth increasing the cost of developing a game to implement a feature only a minority will use.

The same applies to the OS/APIs of the consoles. ALL Xbox games support cross game voice chat and custom soundtracks, because its a standard feature of the console. How many Playstation games support those features even though plenty of people ask for it? Not very many. If you want a feature to be supported by the developers it MUST be included as standard.

The ONLY good reason for the Pro controller is for dual screen multiplayer and that the gamepad inevitably will have terrible battery life, at least compared to a controller without a screen.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!