Photo

Will Wii U Change the "Hardcore" Opinion?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 CSM0

CSM0

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

A Problem in Nintendo's past has been multiple people automatically saying that the company is only for kids games, and could never be "Hardcore". I personally think that any game or game system could be "Hardcore", and I think the New systems could turn some heads and change some minds. What do you think?

#2 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

Not any game. No. Not Sports Island or Carnival Games. Dear god *Shudders*.

#3 abbe

abbe

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

Nintendo wasnt kiddy until the wii, where developers didnt want to make games for a underpowered console. But it seems like developers really likes the wii u, so i believe it could be "hardore" if nintendo isnt forcing it to act kiddy of course :P

Edited by abbe, 19 June 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#4 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

I think that people's perceptions of Nintendo are going to change. I can't see the Wii U being seen as a "kiddie's console", with its power and graphics. Some of the rumoured/confirmed games for it aren't exactly the sort of games that would be targeted at young children. So yes, I think that the Wii U will change people's minds about Nintendo.

#5 Sirralart SuperDragon

Sirralart SuperDragon

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Perfect Dark, SSB, SvR, Fighting Games

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

A Problem in Nintendo's past has been multiple people automatically saying that the company is only for kids games, and could never be "Hardcore". I personally think that any game or game system could be "Hardcore", and I think the New systems could turn some heads and change some minds. What do you think?

Considering the term "Hardcore Gamer" usually describes today's gamers in their mid-teens, that feel as though they NEED to be a part of some sort of club (The Hardcore Gamers), and that today's "Hardcore Gamers" are usually "Graphics Whores" (A term created to describe the MAIN crowd that tend to think "Great graphics are a MUST in order to make great games" usually games with more of a realistic look like Call of Duty is considered a game with GREAT GRAPHICS and a game like Mario Galaxy -with more of a cartoony look- is considered a game that DOES NOT have GREAT GRAPHICS for some crazy reason) then I think the Wii U could definitely turn some heads in that sense. LOL!

Satisfying the people that love only graphics and could care less about gameplay...*sigh*

Edited by Sirralart RCP120, 19 June 2011 - 12:41 PM.

AWESHUM SAUCE!!! **(^_^)**

Female protagonists are GREAT!!!

My Smackdown vs Raw 2011 keyword for the PS3 is TRALARRIS. If you like ORIGINAL DIVA CAWs look them up!

#6 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

I think the perception that nintendo consoles are for kids started with the gamecube. Then that reputation got 10 times worse with the Wii. The WiiU has the potential to get things back on track with competent online, adding new more mature franchises, and even making classic nintendo franchises more gritty and mature.

#7 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Splatterhouse, Sonic

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

I think the perception that nintendo consoles are for kids started with the gamecube. Then that reputation got 10 times worse with the Wii. The WiiU has the potential to get things back on track with competent online, adding new more mature franchises, and even making classic nintendo franchises more gritty and mature.

I don't know about you guys, but there's no way in Arlen that I would like to see a Gritty, and "mature" Mario title. Let's face it, after the Wii lost "hardcore" gamers' "respect" everyone forgot what Nintendo used to do. Even when talking to an older gamer, who considers himself casual, he could only call Nintendo "kiddy" and said they haven't made anything but remakes and will never gain third party support because Nintendo make's it too hard for third parties to develop on the consoles. He continued to argue this even after I laid it out that the Big N is trying to rectify their past by reeling in third parties and is doing a good job at it.
Posted Image

#8 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I agree, not any game can be hardcore. I font think playing a sesame street game is hard core. But I sure hope the new console will change "hardcore" gamers opinions.
Posted Image

#9 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

Much of the fanboys will instantly just buy new xbox and Ps4 while little kids try to fit in with them but the people who truly believe in gameplay and graphic whores will be glued to this.

1367065580450s.jpg

#10 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

I don't know about you guys, but there's no way in Arlen that I would like to see a Gritty, and "mature" Mario title. Let's face it, after the Wii lost "hardcore" gamers' "respect" everyone forgot what Nintendo used to do. Even when talking to an older gamer, who considers himself casual, he could only call Nintendo "kiddy" and said they haven't made anything but remakes and will never gain third party support because Nintendo make's it too hard for third parties to develop on the consoles. He continued to argue this even after I laid it out that the Big N is trying to rectify their past by reeling in third parties and is doing a good job at it.

I'm not talking about giving Mario an AK, but more classic Nintendo franchises could benefit from taking a Twilight Princess-like turn. The Metroid prime series for example I believe was a step in the right direction.

And there's really no good way to make a platformer more mature...

Edited by WeeYou, 19 June 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#11 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

And there's really no good way to make a platformer more mature...

I think this ^ is obvious, and I totally get your point. I know that "hardcore" is a term that tends to provoke flames, but there is SOMETHING to the pervasiveness of the view that Nintendo is not hard core - meaning, at least to some extent, that the perception is that Nintendo is not listening to those that consider themselves to be dedicated, intense gamers.

Certainly, you can play (almost) any game obsessively... I think the real question is, what does the demographic that buys the most games and logs the most hours WANT to play, and is Nintendo making that kind of game?

Every time I pick up a Nintendo title, I LOVE my experience. But sometimes I don't WANT to play those games... it's just a shift of aesthetic taste and thematic preference, really, but nonetheless, I am the kind of consumer that will drop $100 a month on games and online connectivity. I want a company to make games that I want to play... not just games that they want to make.

#12 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

Will it change some hardcores Opinion sure ,how many depends on how stubborn they are ,It wont change some of my friends Opinion who are some of the most diehard 360 fans that I know of .When I was playing brawl during the last few days of school with a few of my other friends they seen us playing brawl and told us how kiddie the wii was ,we ignored them one of them got mad an knocked the wii off the stand which than he did a little happy dance thinking he broke the wii which I than turned the system back on and told him Nintendo consoles dont break that easily to make him mad and he walked into another room to play cod,Those kind of people they will not persuade or atleast I hope not.
(if your wondering my friends are around 16-17 years old with a mindset of a 13 year old.)

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 19 June 2011 - 04:53 PM.

#13 Marik

Marik

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

Kids games? In what way? That there is no unnecessary blood and violence? I don't understand these kind of people who cry softcore. A game is only great if it has great depth, in my opinion, and Nintendo has seldom let me down.

#14 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

So once again the "hardcore" term is thrown around.
hard-core also hard·core (härdkôr, -kr)
adj.
1. Intensely loyal; die-hard: a hard-core secessionist; a hard-core golfer.
2. Stubbornly resistant to improvement or change: hard-core poverty.
3. Extremely graphic or explicit:

Every console is hardcore when 1, 2, or 3 is applied. I'm guessing the "hardcore" gamers that Nintendo is going for is the number 2 people. Nintendo won't gain those people. Number 2 people don't want to change. Nintendo will gain the number 1 and number 3 people. So in that case the Wii was "hardcore" as I was in the number 1 category. Kiddy games is a funny term. All games could be described as that. Games are suppose to be for kids. I'm no kid but I love video games. In the NES days I played Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers and you know what I played my nephew's Toy Story 3 game. Games are just what they are games no label is needed other than the ESRB. So as I didn't answer the question yet. It depend on which category of "hardcore" gamers are in whether their mind about Nintendo is changed.

Edited by Tre, 19 June 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#15 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

I don't think Nintendo ever actually did anything to earn a 'Kiddie' label...
That's just what Video Games were considered to be back in the 80s. Kids' Toys.

Nintendo just hasn't bothered to shed that image yet, whilst that's exactly what the PS and Xbox brands had been advertising since the start: Video Games for 'Older' people.

As for whether or not Nintendo will be able to recapture the 'Hardcore' market...
Well, rewatch Microsoft's E3 and tell me that 1/3 of the 'Hardcore' gaming population isn't looking for a new company :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#16 Sirralart SuperDragon

Sirralart SuperDragon

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Perfect Dark, SSB, SvR, Fighting Games

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

So once again the "hardcore" term is thrown around.
hard-core also hard·core (härdkôr, -kr)
adj.
1. Intensely loyal; die-hard: a hard-core secessionist; a hard-core golfer.
2. Stubbornly resistant to improvement or change: hard-core poverty.
3. Extremely graphic or explicit:

Every console is hardcore when 1, 2, or 3 is applied. I'm guessing the "hardcore" gamers that Nintendo is going for is the number 2 people. Nintendo won't gain those people. Number 2 people don't want to change. Nintendo will gain the number 1 and number 3 people. So in that case the Wii was "hardcore" as I was in the number 1 category. Kiddy games is a funny term. All games could be described as that. Games are suppose to be for kids. I'm no kid but I love video games. In the NES days I played Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers and you know what I played my nephew's Toy Story 3 game. Games are just what they are games no label is needed other than the ESRB. So as I didn't answer the question yet. It depend on which category of "hardcore" gamers are in whether their mind about Nintendo is changed.

LMAO!!!

The second definition describes MANY of today's gamers!!

Edited by Sirralart RCP120, 20 June 2011 - 01:03 PM.

AWESHUM SAUCE!!! **(^_^)**

Female protagonists are GREAT!!!

My Smackdown vs Raw 2011 keyword for the PS3 is TRALARRIS. If you like ORIGINAL DIVA CAWs look them up!

#17 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

I think this ^ is obvious, and I totally get your point. I know that "hardcore" is a term that tends to provoke flames, but there is SOMETHING to the pervasiveness of the view that Nintendo is not hard core - meaning, at least to some extent, that the perception is that Nintendo is not listening to those that consider themselves to be dedicated, intense gamers.

Certainly, you can play (almost) any game obsessively... I think the real question is, what does the demographic that buys the most games and logs the most hours WANT to play, and is Nintendo making that kind of game?

Every time I pick up a Nintendo title, I LOVE my experience. But sometimes I don't WANT to play those games... it's just a shift of aesthetic taste and thematic preference, really, but nonetheless, I am the kind of consumer that will drop $100 a month on games and online connectivity. I want a company to make games that I want to play... not just games that they want to make.

Very well put. When talking about hardcore in the context of video games, a Websters definition wont cut it. Nobody spends a 7 hour gaming marathon playing wii sports.

#18 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

Very well put. When talking about hardcore in the context of video games, a Websters definition wont cut it. Nobody spends a 7 hour gaming marathon playing wii sports.

I did 6 years ago.
Kinda got sick the next day, though :D
However, that was a good 50% of the total time I put into the game...

The biggest problem, I find, with the 'Hardcore' name is that it's subjective. Many 'Hardcore' gamers don't think Harvest Moon is a 'Hardcore' game, even though I logged at least 50 hours into A Wonderful Life.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#19 Limelight788

Limelight788

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo, Gran Turismo

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

I don't know about this. There's no real way to tell, but based off the Wii, Nintendo has a long uphill battle to face to gain back the core gamers.

The Official Mega Man for SSB4 Thread

megaman-2.gif

Want Mega Man in Super Smash Bros. 4? Click on the link in the text and show your support!

#20 DaPimpJ

DaPimpJ

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Nintendo should make an m rated game or buy a developer that does. It seems that's what some people consider hardcore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!