Photo

Will Wii U Change the "Hardcore" Opinion?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

Nintendo should make an m rated game or buy a developer that does. It seems that's what some people consider hardcore.

Why does a M rated game has to be hardcore. I consider M rated to mean it is not for a certain age. An E rated game can be hardcore. Batman Asylum is a super hero game but is considered hardcore. It is just as I stated before every console is hardcore and every game can be played hardcore. If blood and guts describe hardcore then there are a lot of horrible hardcore games but then again if I say they horrible someone else will say they are great. It is all in the eye of the gamer.

#22 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

Very well put. When talking about hardcore in the context of video games, a Websters definition wont cut it. Nobody spends a 7 hour gaming marathon playing wii sports.

That doesn't mean you can't play Wii Sports, hardcore. I can't find the videos, but there are some pretty hardcore video I've seen on YouTube.

I did 6 years ago.
Kinda got sick the next day, though :D
However, that was a good 50% of the total time I put into the game...

The biggest problem, I find, with the 'Hardcore' name is that it's subjective. Many 'Hardcore' gamers don't think Harvest Moon is a 'Hardcore' game, even though I logged at least 50 hours into A Wonderful Life.

When did logging lots of hours into a game make it Hardcore?

Edited by Dementis, 20 June 2011 - 10:18 PM.

#23 Hardcore Brawler

Hardcore Brawler

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Punch Out!, Metroid, Zelda, more

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

Great game = Hardcore game
bad game = you know what

I'v played many of those Hardcore wannabe titles on other HD console

and I swear to God that they were easier and shorter than many Gameboy games

and people call it Hardcore ...

If you took one of those great E rated titles that people underestimate , and one of those hardcore wannabes .. and turned the graphics to a grean squares and circles and played both games

you will absolutly say that the E rated title is harder and more challenging than the other game

but anyway , the problem is not that Nintendo is a kiddy company , the problem is that Nintendo is Nintendo and Sony is Sony

Its sad to see a man who is a CEO of one of the worldwide companies insulting other companies just for video games

note: I did not mean that every other consoles games are bad , there are many many great titles

Edited by Hardcore Brawler, 21 June 2011 - 01:59 AM.

Posted Image

by Cerberuz

My Wii U games wishlist:
Disaster 2 - F-Zero U - Eternal Darkness 2 - Madworld 2 - Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Wii U version)

#24 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:20 AM

When did logging lots of hours into a game make it Hardcore?

well what other definition of hardcore game is there. To me a 'hardcore' gamer is some who games a lot, nothing more, so if a certain game is played lot it can be considered a hardcore game.

To me, the way the term is thrown about atm, it refers to people who only play commercially acceptable realistic looking games, which is almost the opposite of what it should mean.

#25 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:32 AM

I have hope but i really don't think Nintendo can pull it off, they should be improving on what the Xbox 360 and PS3 have this gen but it seems like they're going to go and do it their way instead; which i can't see turning out well.

well what other definition of hardcore game is there. To me a 'hardcore' gamer is some who games a lot, nothing more, so if a certain game is played lot it can be considered a hardcore game.

So you're saying that Farmville can be considered a hardcore game?

Edited by CUDpwns, 21 June 2011 - 03:35 AM.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#26 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:35 AM

It is almost impossible to "poach" gamers from another console, that is not Nintendo's intention.

Looking at the power of the machine and the current state of the technology in general, we are unlikely to see a huge leap forward in graphics any time soon - as stated by Sony VP James Armstrong. This gives Nintendo some time to build a market for the Wii U.

I expect them to target new gamers, mostly the younger end of the market, along with multiple platform buyers, who might be termed "big spenders" in games buying, or real "hardcore gamers" and also Wii/DS up-graders, this could be a significant group or not, we shall have to see.

Getting third party support is central to this and Nintendo have levelled the playing field somewhat, in terms of power. Now they need to persuade the few third-party hold-outs that they can sell their products to Wii U owners. Fanboys will give the Wii u a good start, but momentum is the key, keeping the ball rolling and units selling.

"Hardcore" games will come with third party support, hardcore gamers will follow the games.

Edit; sorry got the name of Sony's vp wrong... just corrected it.

Edited by Mukkinese, 21 June 2011 - 08:54 AM.

#27 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:21 AM

Hmm. It all depends on how the controls are with that new controller, and also like Hardcore Brawler said: "great game is hardcore game" and yeah, the bad game's would be for casual players.

#28 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:02 AM

I have hope but i really don't think Nintendo can pull it off, they should be improving on what the Xbox 360 and PS3 have this gen but it seems like they're going to go and do it their way instead; which i can't see turning out well.

Have you seen how people react to Farmville. They some hardcore gamers. The definition is not universal and is subject to opinions.

It is almost impossible to "poach" gamers from another console, that is not Nintendo's intention.

Looking at the power of the machine and the current state of the technology in general, we are unlikely to see a huge leap forward in graphics any time soon - as stated by Sony VP Jack Alexander. This gives Nintendo some time to build a market for the Wii U.

I expect them to target new gamers, mostly the younger end of the market, along with multiple platform buyers, who might be termed "big spenders" in games buying, or real "hardcore gamers" and also Wii/DS up-graders, this could be a significant group or not, we shall have to see.

Getting third party support is central to this and Nintendo have levelled the playing field somewhat, in terms of power. Now they need to persuade the few third-party hold-outs that they can sell their products to Wii U owners. Fanboys will give the Wii u a good start, but momentum is the key, keeping the ball rolling and units selling.

"Hardcore" games will come with third party support, hardcore gamers will follow the games.

I agree Nintendo is going after a bigger piece of the pie. It's just good business to target all markets.

#29 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

Have you seen how people react to Farmville. They some hardcore gamers. The definition is not universal and is subject to opinions.

I agree Nintendo is going after a bigger piece of the pie. It's just good business to target all markets.

I'm convinced the third-party devs will come onboard, some might just take a little longer to do so, and that will bring the "serious" gamers new and old, but the big question is the Wii-upgraders. With such a huge installed user-base there must be a significant number interested in what Nintendo are doing. How big that number is can only be guessed at and how many will be persuaded to upgrade is another unknown. Fanboys for sure, but the so-called "casual gamers" who only use their Wii's once in a while, what will they do?

The Wii U has some very good family friendly features, the second screen for when the T.V. is being used, the video-calling facility, the ability for parents to allow kids to surf online, while watching T.V., but keeping an eye on jr. is another big plus and lastly giving those who aspire to owning a tablet, but cannot justify the cost, an excuse to finally get one, or something very close.

It will be interesting to see how Nintendo try to bring in these very diverse groups.
  • Tre likes this

#30 Sirralart SuperDragon

Sirralart SuperDragon

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Perfect Dark, SSB, SvR, Fighting Games

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:05 AM

Nintendo should make an m rated game or buy a developer that does. It seems that's what some people consider hardcore.

Hmmmm....

Maybe...get Silicon Knights to make a certain sequel and call it...

...Eternal Darkness 2?

Edited by Sirralart RCP120, 21 June 2011 - 08:09 AM.

AWESHUM SAUCE!!! **(^_^)**

Female protagonists are GREAT!!!

My Smackdown vs Raw 2011 keyword for the PS3 is TRALARRIS. If you like ORIGINAL DIVA CAWs look them up!

#31 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

well now you mention something :D

I don't actually consider FarmVille to be a game at all really ^^ but that's a different discussion all together, in the end I think it is different to put a proper definition on what a hardcore game and gamer is, and as someone pointed out it is all subject to opinion.
I may have been a bit hasty with my reply, the main idea of my post was my view of what a lot of people seem to think what a hardcore game or gamer actually is.

#32 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Splatterhouse, Sonic

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 3DS Strider

3DS Strider

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Fandom:
    Retrogames,Tokusatsu,Transformers

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

What does the term hardcore even mean?
Does it mean the game is rated M?
Also on 3DS Forums and Racketboy. I am not an iodit.

#34 ZachGuy00

ZachGuy00

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

I think that people's perceptions of Nintendo are going to change. I can't see the Wii U being seen as a "kiddie's console", with its power and graphics. Some of the rumoured/confirmed games for it aren't exactly the sort of games that would be targeted at young children. So yes, I think that the Wii U will change people's minds about Nintendo.

Exactly. But people think back and remember Halo being an Xbox exclusive. Then, Xbox 360 and PS3 come out with all sorts of "hardcore" games. I think hardcore means online multiplayer that you can enjoy for hours. Hardcore in the literal sense would mean people screaming while banging they're heads against a plate of metal when playing a video game.

#35 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:42 AM

From a console or developers point of view, I think they would say "hardcore" gamers are the ones who buy most games, simple as that. From a player point of view, that must vary from person to person...

#36 Star

Star

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:49 AM

This reminds me of the time before the 3DS was even launched. I was talking to some people about it and they automatically shut it down. I asked why and they just called it "trash". They said that they would rather get the "PSP 2". This was even before the Vita was announced. <_<

#37 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Splatterhouse, Sonic

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:37 AM

This reminds me of the time before the 3DS was even launched. I was talking to some people about it and they automatically shut it down. I asked why and they just called it "trash". They said that they would rather get the "PSP 2". This was even before the Vita was announced. <_<

That's fanboys for ya. They don't love their console, they just hate yours.
Posted Image

#38 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:30 AM

Lets list hardcore series!

Zelda
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Smash
Pikmin
Mario(ish)
Pokemon(ish. Come on! There is some hardcore Pokes)

That's what I can think of First-Parties so far.

What does the term hardcore even mean?
Does it mean the game is rated M?

No. It means it is made for very dedicated gamers.
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#39 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Exactly. But people think back and remember Halo being an Xbox exclusive. Then, Xbox 360 and PS3 come out with all sorts of "hardcore" games. I think hardcore means online multiplayer that you can enjoy for hours. Hardcore in the literal sense would mean people screaming while banging they're heads against a plate of metal when playing a video game.

You evidently are very deluded. Hardcore games are games that are loyal to fans of the series. Hardcore gamers are gamers that are loyal to a specific game.

#40 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

I'm glad I live in an area where people don't really care and play what they like. No one says anything about a person's console. They say great and each person talks about the game they are playing and how much they enjoy it. There is no mention of hardcore or casual gamers. Media propaganda wins again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!